This thread endorses both physical and mental fitness in order to promote healthy living for everyone

This thread endorses both physical and mental fitness in order to promote healthy living for everyone.

/sig/ Basics:
>YOU are 100% responsible for the way you experience life. Not your parents, not your surroundings, not your ex, not your bully, not your future spouse. YOU. Complete, sincere acceptance of this is the most fundamental step to bettering yourself, and it is by far the hardest thing you'll ever do.
>Work your way to becoming the best YOU you can be - one step at a time.
>Set realistic Goals and have a Plan. Use short-term Goals to keep yourself going.
>Learn helpful and effective daily/weekly/etc. routines, including mundane ones.
>Have a steady sleeping rhythm - one that works for you, so long as you keep to it. Get 6-11 hours of sleep. More Info: pastebin.com/h4CDDtKu
>Learn Mindfulnes Meditation. More Info: pastebin.com/0NMDEUNh
>Learn to be Brutally Honest with yourself. Stop being a slave to your Ego.
>Think critically.
>If you need to put others down to feel good about yourself, you are putting yourself in a position where you are dependent on the people you look down on.
>Focus on the essentials. If you try to do everything at once, you’ll burnout.

Resources:
>newarcitea.neocities.org/ - Overall Guide
>thework.com/ - "Simple" Mental Health self-help resource. You get out what you put in.

Discord:
discord.gg/YJQQSQf *Everyone* is welcome

Books:
>s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=22578279902195591270 - Mortimer J. Adler, Charles Van Doren - How to Read a Book
>s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=01374239493824328035 - Sam Harris - Waking Up
>misc.equanimity.info/downloads/mindfulness_in_plain_english.pdf - Henepola Gunaratana - Mindfulness in Plain English
>s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=93057425205857796418 - Dale Carnegie - How to Win Friends and Influence People
>Tsultrim Allione - Feeding your Demons

Previous thread

Attached: sig3.png (583x767, 583K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tasteofhome.com/recipes/potato-egg-bake/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25911631
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycogenolysis
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3753874/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Attached: sigpaste0.jpg (1800x1162, 1.13M)

Attached: sigpaste04.png (1077x1915, 360K)

Attached: sigpaste3.jpg (640x870, 106K)

Attached: sigpaste02.jpg (719x2445, 1.1M)

Thank you for making these threads, user.

always late to start a thread myself so here's an OP pic i made

Attached: sig.png (640x480, 584K)

this is unironically lit

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-05-26-23h38m49s338.png (860x480, 417K)

Any book recommendations?
I like to read up on 'practical philosophy' (e.g. stoicism), but I'm not capable enough to read other philosophical works. To put it into perspective: The Society of the Spectacle was too much for me. I understood the big picture, but not the details. I was able to comprehend Letters by Seneca, The Discourses by Epicurus and most of the Dialogues by Plato.

I'm starting night shift this week for the first time ever, and I get confused since the shift goes between days. Help me out here. I work Monday-Friday 10 PM to 6 AM, meaning that I start working tomorrow at 10 PM, correct? The day (Monday) is determined by the start of the shift and not the end of the shift. I don't start working on Sunday at 10 PM and end Monday at 6 AM, right? Sorry if this is autistic, I just don't want to miss my first day and get fired like a retard.

How to make aggressive African immigrants stop harassing you? I got punched by aggressive African immigrants on a couple of occasions for no reason at all - I was just walking by on the street.
That's the first question.

The second question is: How to break out of a vicious circle of despair? I see no point in moving forward in life at all, seeing how the society gets drawn into horrible mediocrity. I just want to get NEETbux and laugh at the slaves who keep the system moving.
Whenever I get into an office or other work environment, I need to act completely differently from who I really am. And I can't really fake this for very long.

The real me wants adventure, change and cool stuff HAPPENING every day. I can't be just yet another office slave without becoming very depressed and discontent with the way things are going.

Attached: 1984.png (1200x824, 1.29M)

1) For that point no.2 I'd like to punch you too, and I'm not even black.
2) You want adventure and stuff happening around you constantly? Then join the army. This will also help you solve problem no1

Now that I think about it, I've always wanted to read the Edda. So I guess I'll go with that.

Why do you want to punch me?
And I can't join the army since I have a moderate psychiatric disability.
I can still run my own business and complete higher education with that disability, but I can't serve in the army.
I really want to, though.

The disability in question makes me often reveal my power level and act irritable at times. It's also cyclic/episodic. I'm not going to tell you what it is.

Anyone know how to study in college? Never actually learned in highschool.

Can autism be cyclic?

Anyone know how to get the Jow Forums information library? I had it stored but can't find it anymore.

I feel like I don’t and sometimes stress a lot about it.

I attend all the lectures and non-mandatory activities. I extract the info from the slides and put it all together in a document, and then I try to make sure I learn it. Sometimes I’ve copied the same shit like 20 times to memorise it.

Rote memorization is stupid. If you need to memorize something, use Anki.
If you need to actually learn something, use your noggin and actually think about what is being written/said. Try to understand the meaning of topics, why they're being introduced at this point in time, how they relate to other topics etc.
If there are visualisations to your topic, that can help a lot. Look the topic up on YouTube, even complex math topics have some really good visualisations.
When you're dealing with equations, make sure you understand all derivations. Don't take anything for granted.

because you strive to collect wellfare money and voluntarily become a burden to the society even though you're perfectly able to support yourself. You may as well gain 300lbs and join tumblr.

I do so out of necessity. I also repair computers and do marketing as a side business.
I would be glad to break out of this cycle if it was possible for me to do so.

How the fuck do some people end their day by actually WANTING to fall asleep? The only reason I don't stay awake for 20 hours a day (and sleep for 9) is because that isn't conducive to a regular sleep pattern and I have responsibilities. My friend lives a completely sedentary lifestyle and still randomly falls asleep after being awake for less than 16 hours, meanwhile I have to be practically exhausted to even WANT to fall asleep.

>meanwhile I have to be practically exhausted to even WANT to fall asleep.
Then make sure you exhaust yourself

I used to do a lot of cardio and then injured myself, so can't do anything except my physio exercises. Too poor and socially anxious for the gym.

You don't need to be physically active to exhaust yourself. Mental exhaustion is also exhaustion, get lots of shit done and eventually you will become tired and feel like sleeping.

>socially anxious
Not an excuse

I don't think I'm going to make it bruhs. Will probably commit Sudoku once summer is done.

What's wrong bro?

I do nothing else except study and shitpost, and while that does make me want to kill myself it does not want to make me sleep.

Yeah recently started using khan academy/ video lectures for things I didn't understand enough and seemed to work

"study and shitpost" is your definition of getting lots of shit done?
Time to rethink

Bump

Oh well obviously I have a lot of really important shit to do otherwise.

How many hours a day do you spend doing that important shit, and how many hours a day do you spend shitposting/procrastinating?

My lifestyle is so horribly irregular than I can't really quantify it. A few months ago I was working fulltime and running 10km every 2 days, now I'm nocturnal and cramming for exams. It's fucking pointless trying to create some semblance of routine in my life when I don't know if I'll be working days or nights next semester and what my class schedule will be like.

Well... everything. I lost my job that I didn't like anyway and since then I've been procrastinating on learning the stuff I'm supposed to know to get a new one (web developer), thing is: I've been doing that shit for 6 years but it looks like I've only been doing that for a year.

I've never been that lonely, isolated and desperate in my life. I ghosted my therapists months ago and I don't have the money to pay him properly anyway, I stopped going to the gym because it made me feel physically miserable even though it's supposed to make you good, my nutrition is all over the place, my stats are laughable.

I seriously think about killing myself every night as soon as I am in bed and it's terrifying because it sounds so logical, I'm begging for external validation, I'm weak in mind and body, and I just don't see any improvement, and if there is: it's so far away it's not even worth the effort.

Just try and go to study, act like it's your job, 8 hours a day.
Killing yourself isn't logical, it's the only way out now, because your vision is clouded. I been in the same boat as you are and was so filled with hate still am to this day actually.
I became so angry at the fucks laughing at me thinking that I was below them because I was depressed. Started with just some push ups for weeks straight until it felt better and started doing more exercises. After that I started studying in the library watching as much lectures about the things I needed to know. I'm still not at my best but a whole lot better than I was a year ago.
You'll make it bro, sometimes you just got to crawl out of a pit to get to the top.

Attached: 1558584269175.jpg (507x768, 75K)

1 year exp as a decent webdev should be able to land you another job. Pay might not be amazing but the demand is high.

>and I just don't see any improvement
That's because you don't do anything about it.
Start by writing down your short term goals and work on them.

Attached: IMG_1291.jpg (4961x3508, 1.68M)

Just improve your life one step at a time user. Start studying for 15 minutes a day, then start doing an easy workout, and keep adding things you need to get done. I don't know you, but I believe in you user. You can fix this.

Did you even look at the OP?

If you struggle to understand a book, read How to Read a Book first.

>be me
>mid twenties basement dwelling kissless virgin but jacked
>worker with my parents at you family business my whole life
>I want to find a new job away from my parents but can't find one and don't understand why
>I've always had trouble meeting girls
>the last date I was on was last November with the girl of my dreams
>it felt like she was made for me but i was to beta and she ghosted me after our first date

How does Jow Forums deal with rejection and disappointment? I want my life to change but I get easily discouraged. Any advice would be appreciated bros

Attached: Okay-dog_fb_123549.jpg (300x290, 10K)

I just went 1 day without playing vidya or doing shit on my pc and it drove me up the wall. God damn, my brain's default mode is stuck to having me play with my PC really fucked me over in the long run.

I hope it's okay if I vent in here. Honestly just looking for some support or anybody else that's felt the same.

I've struggled with binge eating for.. going on eight years at this point. It was shortly before I got into powerlifting, running, and healthy dieting as a way of coping with it.

I'm trying to get back into a stable diet after having stopped lifting about two and a half years ago. Since then, it's been losing the same ten, twenty, thirty pounds over and over again... Doing well for a month, max, and then binge-eating so hard I gain it all back in a week. Literally gaining a pound a week having McDonald's, a dozen donuts, and entire pizza, etc, literally every day..

Its fucking exhausting. I want to be skinny again. I want to run well. But food just feels like the biggest source of comfort and entertainment, it feels like a drug.. upset and hating myself? Food. Bored? Food. Want an excuse to do nothing? Eat until I'm physically incapacitated. And when I'm not eating, it's just intrusive thoughts about food, all the time, all day, and the want and the craving does. Not. Stop. For fucks sake, I was balls-deep in a girl last night and was still thinking that if I could find an excuse to leave, I could swing by Payless and get pastries that night. And McDonald's.

I have my diet worked out. I know what I need to do. I understand where my motivations lay. I'm just exhausted with my brain constantly hitting me with this. It just doesn't stop.

Binge Eating Disorder.

Figure out what you're trying to deal with by eating.

Consider getting professional help so you can learn to have a fucked up relationship with food.

You may also benefit from reading Tsultrim Allione - Feeding your Demons

I already understand what I'm trying to deal with. I can't afford therapy. I know what I'm doing. I'm just exhausted by it and needed to vent, and wanted to hear about other's struggles and experiences.

Thanks for the book suggestion though, I'll check it out.

do not be afraid of rejection. everybody's going to get rejected sometimes. rejection is just failure in social terms. do not fear to fail. if you fear to fail you will never try, thus never succeed.

brush it off and move on.

I'd take this further and say that one of the best skills in studying, outside of consistency and order, is being able to ascertain when something simply needs to be memorized and when it needs to be understood

>capped out my deadlift with every plate I had last week
>ordered two 45s this week
>increased deadlift by 45 today
>it was enough to take my symmetricstrength from untrained to full novice
feels good bros

How do you guys schedule?

In the past I have scheduled 6 month training and study plans - inputting everything into google calendar and setting reminders. It doesn’t seem to work.

Going forward, I’m thinking of setting loose long term training and study plans. But then at the end of each day, say just before bed, inputting into google calendar what I have to do the next day. Then in the morning, I can review it before I leave the house.

I’m thinking this will allow me to be more flexible, so I won’t get worked up if I can’t do exactly what I planned out weeks ago.

Yeah, you can't really plan your days that far in advance. Start with big, long-term but loose goals, then work your way down to a month, a week and then a single day, adding more details and information each step down.

Long-term: Graduate.
Short-term: Pass current exams.
Weekly goals: Study for at least a total of 42 hours.
Daily: Go to library at 9, study for 3 hours, eat in cafetaria, study for 4 hours, go home.

If my day gets shifted around a bit because I overslept for example, I can still shift my daily schedule around to reach my weekly goal.

Attached: file.png (840x718, 346K)

FIGHT ON

I lack discipline plain and simple.

How does one attain discipline?

Thanks mate. That was helpful.

I think my best friend is a bucket crab.

This is a feel I didn't need.

Attached: 1522365499694.jpg (1722x1722, 1.19M)

I got a group of crabbucket friends.
I have actually known it for half a year or maybe longer, but recently I have just got more confirmation about that when hanging out with them.

Thing is.... do I just fade away from them or...?

Cut and run. My situation is a bit more complicated. I got things to settle that'll take months.

It's a hard feel to have hit you.

I was sad to discover that if you try to improve yourself then most of the people around you will try to prevent it. People in your life want you soft and weak, and they also don't want to see you so better than them at a subconscious level.

I first discovered this when I finally said "enough" and grew a spine. I told this one douche bag that everyone hung out with to gtfo my house because he was uninvited and I didn't want to be around him.

Everyone was mad for like one day and then they accepted that the new me doesn't let people walk on him as badly as before. Everyone tried to sabotage my diet and made fun of me exercising until I saw results, and you know what? Just recent one of my crab friends came to me and asked me for help to get in shape.

I'm just trying to get across that this is normal, user, and you can not only succeed in spite of this but actually improve your friends' lives by example

I don't have many friends due to autism, hyper-agressiveness, and a fucked up childhood. This one guy I could get along with and have a conversation with, but he seems to be using me and not really caring about me.

I'm piss-fucking-broke this month, yet invited him for dinner. I made miso soup according to a recipe he liked to the best of my abilities, but because the radish wasn't cooked enough, he didn't even finish it. When leaving my place, he had the gall to say he was gonna go get something to eat. This guy pulls four times my current salary at a job that I pushed him to get.

I feel like I give so much, and don't really get anything in return.

Yeah ok that's different from what I'm talking about. You probably should just drop him. That's less like being a crab in a bucket and more like being a sociopathic asshole

Just threw out 240$ worth of food. It was all trash like ice cream, candy, soda etc. I feel good and bad at the same time. So much money down the drain.

I need some good recipes now, willing to try anything as long as it isn't kale. /ck/ is of 0 help.

Attached: throwing-food-out[1].jpg (560x453, 92K)

I don't know what's come over him, he wasn't like this before. He's pretty damn autistic as well, and a hefty weed smoker (which I used to be as well), so he might just have fried his social circuits.

Beans and rice baby
Easy to cook, and if you add some peas and corn and salsa to the mix it tastes good too

Wuts a 'crab bucket' friend

Attached: 1023.jpg (300x218, 12K)

Google

If you really wanna deal with some shit you can ask him straight up why he's acting like an asshole but... It's probably better to just ghost him

You put crabs in a bucket, any crab that tries to escape will be pull back in by the rest. It refers to people who keep you from becoming better.

I make this every weekend.

tasteofhome.com/recipes/potato-egg-bake/

Just freeze all my portions and, during the week, defrost in the microwave while I’m in the shower and eat for breakfast when I get out.

egg ketchup

When was this last updated I can think of so many more classical works that would be approved for this list. “The count of monte cristo”, etc. Could be added to this.

OK it sounds like what you're losing is "water-weight". Your body has two main energy stores glycogen (carbs) and triglycerides (fat). Glycogen is a highly polar molecule and forms a complex with water. By weight this ratio is approximately 1:3 meaning for every 1 gram of Glycogen, you have 3 grams of water [1].

When you exercise in the presence of insulin in your blood, your body uses glycogen as energy. This breaks down the complex through glycogenolysis [2]. The water that is liberated through this process is the weight loss that you experience. But because it's only water, when you binge eat again your glycogen stores are rebuilt and the water recruited again for the complex, thus you experience rapid weight gain.

What you really want is to lose fat, because fat is much harder to build up once it's lost. It is chemically non-polar and therefore water-insoluble, so when you lose fat, the weight loss doesn't "swing back". In order to lose fat you have to first break down the triglycerides through lipolysis. There are many factors involved in this process, among the most important is the fact that insulin inhibits lipolysis [3].

Practically, this means you should exercise while there is little to no insulin in your blood, i.e in a fasted state (typically 12 hours after your last meal, which you can easily do by exercising in the morning before breakfast). To sustain fat breakdown throughout the day, you should limit insulin to discrete spikes, the fewer the better. The best is to do OMAD (one meal a day) for the additional benefit of caloric restriction. If you can't do that, you should limit your caloric intake to just a few meals, i.e no snacking.

There are many other factors involved: diet, gut health (a big one), exercise, sleep, supplements. I can elaborate on these if someone wants.

[1] ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25911631
[2] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycogenolysis
[3] ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3753874/

My family is a crab bucket. Why do you think we're here?

Attached: 1408434749529.png (632x852, 47K)

Want to vent here a bit about how I've been feeling lately.

I went from a very shy and socially awkward anime loving nerd who played video games all day to what I dreamed of becoming.
It took insane willpower to change quite literally everything about me; my feminine mannerisms due to being raised by women, my lack of responsibility, lack of confidence, lack of any type of family relationship, lack of a social group etc.

I started working out, cut my long ass dyed fucking hair to a short hairstyle, changed my wardrobe from edgy printed oversized tees and Skate fashion to more fit basic essentials.
I was really awkward socially at first, I would just stay stupid shit that would get complete silence. But I didn't care, because I know that it would just be worth it in the long run to be more active in conversations. And it was.
I had zero experience with women due to everything that I was listed from above, that soon changed as I got more confident and responsible for my life.
I developed this personality from ground up and I'm proud of it.

Yet, these past few days I feel kind of lost. Everything is going well, I broke contact with a girl I was trying to fuck and that made me realize that I just didn't care.
I never care, no matter how deep the relationship is I keep not caring after it ends off. It's just: Oh well, onto the next.
I feel like I'm missing that lovely feeling I had of girls back then where I loved every single thing about them, now it doesn't bother me if I end a relationship in a day.

All this has left me feeling pretty down and I feel like shit because of it. I don't want to feel that way, everything is going well. I don't need anything. Even when I'm working out, I can't stop thinking and it's making me slack off. Am I really a good dude? I can't tell at this point.

I can't vent to anyone IRL since I don't want this side of me to see the face of the earth, this is the first time I experience it myself. I don't know what to do.

Attached: large (14).jpg (500x400, 187K)

Mental exhaustion, sounds like a word I can really relate to lately.

sig heil bros, have a great day

Attached: 1558667790101.jpg (550x558, 25K)

Honestly the most non degen threads on Jow Forums. Everyone's trying to improve here.

Attached: w.jpg (300x300, 22K)

you didn't just like those girls in the past, you tied every part of yourself to them. your self-esteem, your worth, your confidence, your will to live was all tied to those girls and how they felt about you. you put them on the highest pedestal, right alongside the women who raised and nurtured you. it wasn't healthy but it was all you knew how to do because who else was around to teach you otherwise?

now you have a more balanced view of yourself and women and that's leaving you feeling hollow because how can a normal, healthy attraction compare to those old feelings of having everything you are invested in this perfect, angelic creature you created in your head? you've spent your whole life experiencing 20/10 intensity emotions and now normal emotions seem plain and empty in comparison

Attached: 1559262146324.png (371x353, 148K)

(cont.)
things will get better in time. you basically just need to recover from your addiction to strong emotions and let your brain re calibrate. in the mean time, stay strong and don't let your brain drag you back into that old way of thinking. it'll be tough because those strong emotions feel so much more preferable to the relative emptiness you feel now, but like a junkie craving a hit, you have to remember it's only temporary and things WILL get easier.

That does make a lot of sense, I did put them on a very high pedestal. Like they were some sort of goddesses and how my life would be complete if they were mine. Until, with time, now I realize they're just as messy human beings as anyone else.
That actually gives me quite a bit of perspective user, thanks.

I guess it might just be the intense emotions that I felt reminiscent about. Although, I don't regret that part of my life because it made me who I am now, I have no intention of ever going back to that whatsoever.

Heil

bullshit, being unable to generate ties of affection is another expression of the deep narcissistic personality he has created by looking too much at his body, he is textbook nerd2asshole

I don't think I'm narcissistic, I really care for my family and friends. And also the women I get into relationships with.

>textbook nerd2asshole
even if you're right, better to be a self-obsessed asshole than a self-loathing nerd

you just said you dont care

relative to how much he used to care, you nerd

Attached: 1558914857323.jpg (335x292, 19K)

Meal prep / Look online for stuff, Id say:
Rice, chicken, broccoli, beans and carrots.
You can change it up with fish or some vegan alternatives if youre into that stuff.
(Remember to take supplements too, zinc, omega 3, etc...)

get an independent Womaan

>read the book before class
>take notes and put a star next to anything the professor repeated
>always try to answer and ask questions in class even if you get them wrong
>do all of the practice exercises, even if unassigned, without looking at notes or the book
>redo the ones you got wrong
>skim the chapters and read the chapter summary the night before the test
>get to class early the day of and frenetically reread your notes

This is awesome

Yep, generally means the day that the shift starts. I worked at a bakery after highschool and that's how we did it.

You doing this long-term? Make sure you're getting sunlight, depression sneaks up on you.

Take a look at the mealime app. You can specify your dietary restrictions and number of meals and it will generate a meal plan. The best part is that it will also generate a shopping list that collates all the items in your meal plan. The recipes are delicious, easy, cheap and fast and the app is free.

Baby steps. Don't start by going "I'm going to do a full workout 4x/week," start with something simple. "Walk on the treadmill 2x/week." Whether you want to or not, you do it until it becomes habit. Then step it up, full workout 1x/week, etc.. Bite off more than you can chew and you'll give up.

I swear these shills aren't even trying to be stealthy anymore

You shouldn't suddenly ghost him, that can lead to even greater resentment. The best way is to simply decrease time spent together over time. Steadily decrease the frequency and duration of your hangouts. Move toward low intensity activities. If possible/necessary, just move. That's how people "naturally drift apart".

If he's a good friend though, it might be worth trying to help him as well. You only get a few good friends in this world.

It's literally free my dude, there isn't even ads. I use it and like it and that's why I recommended it. Not everyone is trying to scam you.

>It's literally free my dude, there isn't even ads.
>dude it's just free man there's no in-app purchases or anything! the server just runs without electricity :)

Well, I think there is a paid version, but I don't use that because the free version has pretty much all the functionality you need. Seems like you're just out to pick a fight though so I'm not gonna reply anymore. Use it or don't, it's up to you.

>Seems like you're just out to pick a fight though
I'm not out to pick a fight, I'm just sick of marketing shills on Jow Forums. If you're not one then why get so defensive?

>be wizard with a couple of levels
>get a job after 5 years as a NEET, been working for the last year
>hot girl begins working next door to my workplace 2 months ago
>literal 10/10, not the hottest ever but the hottest girl I've seen in person, easily
>start chatting her up every now and then while method acting as an alpha
>my company is now relocating
>on one of my last days there, say goodbye to her and ask for her number
>she is quite glad to give it to me

Help me /sig/, what the fuck do I do now. I wasn't exaggerating with the wizard part. I've never texted girls before and I don't even have any interesting pictures of myself to use as a profile pic.

Attached: 1504643493521.png (604x613, 257K)