How the fuck should i increase the weight without losing progressive overload

Say I do bench press 3x5
I did for example 1pl8 for 5 reps in 3 sets
The next workout i added 2.5lbs
I did the first set with clean 5
The second and third sets i did 3 reps only (with the same added weight)
That means my progressive overload went down from the first workout
So how I should do it and still progressing?

Attached: 1553009037166.png (576x590, 337K)

Take longer breaks in between sets. If your first set was truly clean you should be able to do two more with same amount of reps. 3-4 minutes. Or you're not eating/recovering enough.

This

Or warmup to your heaviest working weight, and then if you feel you won't be able to make the reps on your next set, go down in weight.

Okay but what if I'm eating/resting enough? If I couldn't complete the appropriate sets×reps should i just reduce the weight and do more sets to up the progressive overload of the last workout?
Thanks for replying tho

I actually do warm ups
Should I increase the weight of the warm up sets to get more volume or these sets must remain the same?

>I actually do warm ups
Warmup properly. Typically something like below:

Bar x 2x8 (or get lighter dumbbells in your case for weaker lifts)
50% of working weight x 8 reps
65% x 5 reps
75% x 3 reps
85% x 1 rep
Then, you're ready to hit your working weights. Your muscles have blood flowing, you've practiced your form going through proper range of motion, and you've built up, preparing yourself mentally but also not tiring yourself out.

Do the greyskull lp method of deloading: Drop the weight by 10% for the next workout. On the very last set do as many reps as possible. Don't worry about deloading when you have to. 135 may be bitch weight but you can't just improve instantly all the time, you gotta give your body a hand and help it recover when needed.

Okay my warming up sets was pretty wrong thank user

>Drop the weight by 10% for the next workout.
Do you mean by "next workout" the next day or next set in the same day I failed the weight?
Same goes for this?
>On the very last set do as many reps as possible

Yeah, just remember, a warmup is to prep yourself for your actual workout. Don't tire yourself out doing the shit you know you can do, and don't bring yourself anywhere near failure on the easy shit. Keep yourself fresh for your hardest/heaviest weights.

From workout to workout. If you hit 135lb for 5 reps on your first set, but only get 3 the next set, you can either
1. Try 135lb for multiple sets next workout, aiming for 5 reps per set
2. Try 135lb for 1 set, then go down 5-10lb for consecutive sets to hit your reps
3. Backpeddle to a weight that you know you can hit 3x5 and practice it. Your last set can be as many reps as possible, but you ideally want to stay away from failure except for every once in a while.

Next day obviously.
Here's a retard proof example:

If you fail 3x5 bench on monday at 140lbs like this . Reps: 5, 3, 3

The next friday you would do 2x5, 1x5+ at 125lbs. Maybe like this: 5,5,9
And so on keep adding 5lb every workout. When you're back at 140lbs you might be able to do like 6 reps on the last set. This way you'll keep getting stronger.

One last question if you don't mind,
If I have an app to keep my progress and stuff in,should I count the warm up sets or just the working one?
Thank you guys anyways
Really appreciate it!

That's an exquisitely retarded question, user. I don't log my warmup sets, as it's just useless data to me. If you feel like that's gonna be useful for you then go ahead.

Well sorry I thought I should log them,
Won't do it anymore thanks user

Kind of cluttered if you keep track of warmups.

Just knowing what you aimed for for working weights, you'll be able to tell what you used for warmup weights if you follow a set scheme as in So if you look back, you see your first set of squats was at 185lb, for example. You know you warmed up with about 95lb, then around 120lb, and so forth.

Didn't actually think of that Jesus Christ I'm retarded
Thanks user really

A useful site I like to use is warmupreps. Just google warmupreps and click the first link.

Imma try it out
Thank you!

>6 warm up sets

jesus christ the guy is a beginner, he doesn't need 6 fucking warm up sets.

Do you know why you should be warming up or how it even helps? It doesn't even take long. Starting Strength has 5 warmup sets.

Do i stay on the bench or let some other guy use it? What's the protocol?

Hog the bench. Hoard the plates, grab dumbbells and bring them over even if you don't plan on using them.