Buddhism

Why is Buddhism so great?

It's very applicable to the stresses we face in everyday life, and I've used it various times to calm down in the face of high stress situations. It doesn't make any demands, it merely points out a helpful way to look at life.

I won't claim I'm enlightened or on my way to achieve paranirvana, but I think Buddhism is underrated, and that more Robots could benefit from looking into it. I find the Heart Sutra and the Zen koans to be particularly useful and practical.

Attached: the-Buddha-teaches-the-dharma-to-the-gods.jpg (800x480, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discord
youtube.com/watch?v=Bsyplaii9p4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Insight meditation is one of the greatest inventions/discoveries in the history of psychology and everyone should know how to do it.

As the rest of it, if you get down to the roots of it, it's far more depressing than even nihilism. It's a really grim religion.

>grim

No it isn't, Robot. It's really liberating, in my opinion.

You do you. I did extensive research on it for many years and found the actual monks, not this Westernized fuzzy wuzzy stuff.

Actually the Westernized fuzzy wuzzy stuff is fine. Go watch Ajahn Brahm.

"Form is Emptiness, and Emptiness is Form... All phenomena are devoid of characteristics. They are not created, nor destroyed; they are not pure, nor are they defiled. See, in the Emptiness... there is no ignorance, or ending of ignorance, no Way, and no enlightenment. Because there is nothing to be attained, one is unimpeded; without impediment, one leaves distorted dream-thinking behind, and ultimately finds Nirvana!"
-Heart Sutra

When you look at yourself, realize that you are merely matter interacting with matter, no different than a chemical interacts with other chemicals. You have no eternal, metaphysical self; what you think is 'you' is but an aggregate of your physical environment and biological make-up interacting in tandem. You are Empty, and because you are Empty, you can begin to cut away at the things that cause you pain and suffering.

Attached: boddhisattva.jpg (400x600, 83K)

I'm not reading "Westernized" stuff, though. The entire "Western Buddhism" seems like just a buzzword that reactionaries use to criticize Buddhism, using it to declare the entire thing invalid without actually having a closer look. There is no "Western Buddhism": there is Mahayana, Theravada, and Vajrayana Buddhism, currently.

I know more about this than you, but you will either not go deep enough into it and be content, or you will far enough on your own to give it up, so I don't have any interest in continuing this conversation.

>I know more about this than you

You don't even know me, Robot. I've been reading about Buddhism for years,

I stand by what I said. Good luck.

I agree with this, though there can be some pretty intimidating words in a lot of Buddhist literature. Shantideva for example paints a view of Buddhism as being ultimately liberating but involving a lot of anguish along the way in distancing oneself from selfish desires, not dissimilar to Saint Augustine.

Oh look, another eastern philosophy thread in r9k

Pretty much a "im deeper than you" contest

you are 'that' in which all this appears

>like Saint Augustine

Christianity is completely dissimilar to Buddhism, there is no comparison.

Does anyone else remember The Anti-Buddha?

Taoism is better imo

>he never spent time in an orthodox monastery

Attached: 1509582611680.gif (500x344, 618K)

Fuck, who's gonna win this philosophical clash of the titans?

The enlightened 20 year old white guy LARPing as a buddhist or the sagely 20 year old white guy LARPing as an orthodox Christian?

Which side's wikipedia article can make the strongest argument?

FUCK

Attached: images (8).jpg (231x218, 7K)

New rapidly growing Jow Forums server, join if you can't fit in anywhere else:
discord
.gg/spgbeZR

av

Attached: ∩ 2.png (4584x3856, 88K)

youtube.com/watch?v=Bsyplaii9p4

It's only dissimilar on the surface level.

I've found that I prefer Vasisthean Advaita-vedanta, although really they describe two sides of the same coin. Hari om.