/odg/ - Optical Disc General - Wrong Board Edition

What do you use optical discs for?

Resources:
osta.org/technology/cdqa2.htm
infogalactic.com/info/DVD-RAM
youtube.com/channel/UCy0tKL1T7wFoYcxCe0xjN6Q
^- for high-quality OD review videos

Attached: banner 9 res.jpg (3000x1998, 1.51M)

so that the NSA doesn't know when I'm reading wizard books

What type of media are you using? CD or DVD or BD?

CDs nuts

Yeah *sips* CD's is where it's at. Though for error correction and more stable filesystem I recommend DVD-RAM and BD-RE.

Chill it's just how the wizard books came

I don't any more. I finally switched over to using a flash drive to install Windows after my most recent build. Gonna buy a NAS for backups and to stream to my comfy 4K TV. In my head, that is. I don't want to buy anything until I move out of my parents' house. 26 and unemployed. Any day now, h-haha.

Okay. I have plenty of discs. Interested in any of it? 8cm DVD-RAM with a caddy, 100Gb discs, DVD-R DL 8cm, CD-RW for audio from Taiwan, vinyl CD-R's, lightscribe discs.

So we're stuck using comfy high-capacity Blu-rays, bud ;)
Does your NAS keep files for over 40 years? What about 1000 years? Discs can do that.

Using optical media for backups is for brainlets. Just use tapes.

I don't want to pay a bajillion dollars just to get a huge clunky tape drive with expensive cartridges that I can only use for backups and nothing else. Can you listen to CD's with your tape drive? Can you watch movies? Also, optical media still wins in terms of longevity because M-DISC, plus 100Gb is more than enough for me, I can backup my whole phone with that.

Just use a NAS and tapes. It's the ultimate solution. Buy a used drive from eBay. Tapes themselves are cheap.

>vinyl CD-Rs
:DDD

But what if I'm archiving for longevity?

whoops wrong quote

How the hell did a disc thread do so well on r9k?
Also, I put a bunch of Wii games on DVDs and DVD-DL for like brawl
Brawl needs the extra space.

Yeah! The discs have a nice texture to them, but otherwise are just regular CD-R's. I might be able to dig out a few pics of my own.

Attached: verbatim vinyl.jpg (500x500, 37K)

What about copy protection? You modded it? Last time I used an optical disc to play a console like that was when I was in an old hardware museum, they had a PC Engine console and tons of pirate discs with it. I still have my PS3, most games are on a disc.

Tapes have insane longevity my dude.

Yeah I softmodded my Wii. It's not hard, just look up several tutorials so you don't screw it up.
I use a bootloader to load the discs, and some times disks.
I have a 1Tb external hard drive with 1 The worth of game cube games. Each is roughly 800Mb to 1.2 Gb

How many years? They might have magnetic sectorswaps like HDD's. I doubt it's a thousand years.

That's pretty cool! I heard Wii's are easy to mod, just not the cheaper ones released in canada, ugh forgot their name.

Yeah, go with the regular model, I don't think the cheeper ones have disc drives, or maybe it was networking?
IDK, but it doesn't have a key feature.

Here's the cover of DVD-RAM2 disc I have imported from Japan.

Attached: ram2 res.jpg (2000x861, 1.59M)

It lacks networking. Also, I remember there was a webm where a guy takes custom-burnt discs that he carved out for smaller size and puts in his gamecube. Absolute tech gore.

Disc carving and burning is an art that goes back to the dawn of mankind bro have some respect

What drives are you all itt using?

Attached: 1551081432986.jpg (1638x1406, 443K)

Aren't there 8cm discs?

Attached: 8cm.jpg (320x320, 17K)

How should I know? There are probably disks of every size for no reason. If there isn't one in the size you want just make one.

I feel like this conversation may also have occurred at the dawn of time

>M-DISC

Attached: mdisc res.jpg (3000x2250, 1.99M)

Maybe, but there were 8cm DVD's for camcorders, plus before that there were CD-singles, 8cm as well.

Dude why are you randomly asking me a question then answering the question yourself? You clearly knew the answer already.

I remember those small CD tho. I wasn't sure of their exact size. I recall the video cam with the disk too now that you mention it. And there was some Sony disk player with small CD in a plastic box.. kinda weird

>and there was some Sony disk player with small CD in a plastic box.. kinda weird
What do you mean?
And I did not do what you described me do, I provoked mentioning of the 8cm discs and when you told of carving discs I told that sometimes you don't even need to do that because of the original size of the disc.

>What do you mean?
This thing man.

And you act like disc carving is bad. It's not bad to do your work by hand. Men have done this for ages

Attached: b6a39e9e7e17aa2ecc109e5aea2e06cd.jpg (640x640, 59K)

>This thing man.
Yeah, we had an user who posted these a while back on Jow Forums. The original board of this general.

Attached: 1548416641865 res.jpg (4592x3056, 464K)

absolutely based Jow Forumsentooman

I don't have enough sata cables for all my cd drive so i just leave it in my case, but it's unplugged.
I don't really have a use for CDs, flash drives are way better, except for shitty appliances like car radios or radios in general

>so i just leave it in my case, but it's unplugged
My poor DVD drive remained in such state for a number of years. But turns out, it's quite special. It supports lightscribe, and faster DVD-RAM (x12 I believe), so now I have 2 drives on my main PC and may have up to 4 at once (when the 2 external are connected as well).

Here's one of the first ever banners. I can post /odg/ logos, if needed.

Attached: odg_logo_3.png (1280x853, 1.63M)

Originalgiginal

Attached: IMG.jpg (2288x2120, 519K)