Schizoids

As of recently I've seen quite a few threads relating to mental illness and ive seen the schizoid personality disorder mentioned many times. I've also seen many posters identifying as a schizoid.

My question is: how does one self diagnose themselves as a schizoid accurately and is there any use in getting officially diagnosed if you don't plan on undergoing therapy? I've taken a few of those dumb mental illness tests and i always rate high on schizoid scale but i feel that it is wrong and that going to get diagnosed for it seems as pointless. Not only pointless but i have no idea how one should go about asking to be diagnosed for that.

Attached: 81EC8735-7DB2-4796-BABC-AB70302966C0-7982-00000F855452F653.jpg (396x596, 34K)

That's a very schizoid way of looking at things - they consider most things pointless. My advice is to see a doctor just for the novelty value and self-insight. If his proposed treatment sounds good, go for it, the worst that can happen is you remain alone and that's what schizoids usually want to do anyway.

I have considered going to the doctor for that exact reason but how would one go about bringing it up? I don't think they would take me seriously.

"Hey doc, I'm have a few mental health concerns, can we talk about that?"

Proceed to the counseling session and give as many details is possible.

I'll take that into consideration. Thank you, user.

Attached: 1551838959138.jpg (2397x1386, 593K)

Yeah, my advice is to just describe what it feels like to be you and see if he has a word for it. If it's the word you expect, you can put your suspicions to rest. If it's something else, then you might have options you didn't know about.

ill say this. in self diagnosis tests you probably all exaggerate your symptoms. also most doctors will know almost nothing about these personality disorders. it will be difficult to get diagnosed with anything or taken seriously unless your symptoms have demonstrably severe comsequences for your life. if you come to the doctor expressing problems in general, personality disorders will be the last thing on the considered list. if you go straight to a psychologist or counslor then i imagine they will endorse or go along with your thoughts alot more but i dont think they can actually diagnose you.

I can tell you that I always thought I was schizoid, from the first moment I read about it, but I never cared too much, and forgot about it.
Several years later I started going to a psychiatrist because of insomnia (which is also a typical schizoid symptom, btw), and after some appointments, when he got to know me better, he told me he was pretty sure I was a schizoid.
He didn't "officially diagnose" me or anything, also because he said that in most cases it's ultimately pointless to label these things.
He didn't offer me specific help about the schizoid disorder, and I didn't ask.
Anyway, I stopped taking benzos and going to the psychiatrist, and my spd is still here as always, in case you're wondering.

Schizoid Personality Disorder could potentially just be an extreme form of Anxiety. Read this.

>Anxiety, sadness or depression, anger, irritability, mental confusion, low sense of self-worth, etc., behavioral symptoms such as phobic avoidance, vigilance, impulsive and compulsive acts, lethargy, etc., cognitive problems such as unpleasant or disturbing thoughts, repetition of thoughts and obsession, habitual fantasizing, negativity and cynicism, etc. Interpersonally, neurosis involves dependency, aggressiveness, perfectionism, schizoid isolation, socio-culturally inappropriate behaviors, etc. Neurosis may be defined simply as a "poor ability to adapt to one's environment, an inability to change one's life patterns, and the inability to develop a richer, more complex, more satisfying personality."

This is "Neurosis" but it is now just considered "anxiety/depression". But "anxiety/depression" doesn't explain it in the same way the original "removed" version of Neurosis did.

Yes it does seem common for most people to exaggerate on most self diagnosis tests which is why i disregarded all of the other mental illnesses i apparently have. But for the past 3 years the only relationships I've maintained are with my dad as well as my mother but that's because i feel obligated. If it weren't for 3 years of night shift work and almost zero socializing having what seems zero effect on me i wouldn't have considered making this thread.
So from and are saying that it can be difficult and overall pointless for them to diagnose something as inconsequential as spd?

It's not anxiety. I can tell you that much.

>This is "Neurosis" but it is now just considered "anxiety/depression". But "anxiety/depression" doesn't explain it in the same way the original "removed" version of Neurosis did.

It was a bad, simplistic model, just like Myers-Briggs or the four humors or wandering wombs. The human brain is the most complex object in the known universe - you're not going to unravel all of it's mysteries in a mere century.

>inconsequential
Depends. See, in my case the disorder certainly has consequences. I, too, have never had a proper, "deep" relationship with anyone in my life, the only one I am relatively close to is my mother.
Now, that doesn't bother me that much, but the problem is that I do feel empty.
After doing some introspection I've come to the conclusion that I don't want to become more sociable, but I also feel empty, and the main reason is that I only live in my head, and not tin the outside world.
But, again, I don't want to change, so I don't think I'll ever be able to improve my life, and I have accepted it.
If your schizoid disorder is as severe as mine, I doubt that therapy can help, in fact it is considered one of the hardest personality disorder to treat (if not impossible).
So there's probably no point in getting diagnosed, like I said, in my case it happened by pure coincidence, I wasn't looking to get diagnosed.

I apologize but i did not mean to imply that spd is entirely inconsequential. I just feel that it may be viewed as one of the more harmless personality disorders. However i can relate to a good extent. No desire to change or form relationships with a vague feeling of emptiness.

>it may be viewed as one of the more harmless personality disorders

From wikipedia:
>However, impairment is mandatory for any behaviour to be diagnosed as a personality disorder.
>SPD seems to satisfy this criterion because it is linked to negative outcomes.
>These include a significantly compromised quality of life, reduced overall functioning even after 15 years, and one of the lowest levels of "life success" of all personality disorders (measured as "status, wealth, and successful relationships").[12][13][14]
>Symptoms of SPD are also a risk factor for more severe suicidal behaviour.[15]

It's not considered as harmless, but keep in mind that the severity of the disorder can vary between individuals, some may be better adjusted and "high functioning", others like me basically become hikikomori.

Any personality disorder is a very big deal. You're basically talking about someone lacking in a fundamental human ability:

>schizoids cannot connect to others
>avoidants are nature's biggest cowards
>borderlines can't handle being alone
>antisocials cannot learn from their mistakes

I could go on. I'm "only" bipolar, but if I had one of these problems I would want to try and fix it, just like I suck down lithium to fix the problem I do have. People with personalities disorders are not subhuman in my opinion, just damaged. There's clear evidence having a parent with one of these disorders puts you at serious risk, so it's not their fault, either.

I appreciate the correction and I'll seeing someone about it.

you can find some or even most of these symptoms in so many disorders..

dude that kind of lack of friendships is surprisingly normal in society.

you should ask yourself why you would want to get diagnosed; what you want to change.

>is it worth it
Do you think being schizoid brings you suffering? Because if there's no suffering, there's nothing to treat. Some schizoids suffer from being alone, while others just don't care. Of course, that detachment from others could be just a defense mechanism, so try to be true to yourself.

I personally didn't worry about this kind of thing until I seeked treatment for depression. I didn't think much of my weird-ass behaviors as they just seemed "normal" to me. Now that I look back on it I think even my dad might be a "covert" schizoid, and I might have inherited/learned from him (I felt like Luke facing Vader when I realised that) but I will never be able to make the old man go to a psychiatrist because he thinks he is normal.

If you don't want to treat it, there's no "use" for the diagnosis, other than for self-discovery concerns. I don't think there's anything like neetbux for schizoids, unfortunately, since I think that would be the dream for a lot of us.

Attached: noooo.jpg (305x229, 13K)

I feel like half of the personality disorders dont even really qualify as mental illness.

Its kind of a catch 22. It is rare that a SPD person seeks treatment, either out of apathy or because they don't think anything is wrong with them. As such Schizoid PD is one of the least understood disorders so there is very little in the way of treatment for it.
Maybe if more people were aware of it, more would seek treatment and in turn more research into it could lead to actual "treatments"
Personally I beleive that established psychiatry is one of the biggest scams out there. Its always been about risk mitigation on a societal level rather than helping people.