Is "being yourself" a meme or not?

Is "being yourself" a meme or not?

Is it even possible?

Attached: ralph-waldo-emerson-greatest-accomplishment-1.jpg (1000x569, 46K)

"Be yourself" is a shorter way of saying "Be the best version of yourself you can be". If everyone was truly being themselves they'd be sitting on the couch eating junk food and smoking weed all day.

The nature of the self is something that has long been the subject of debate in philosophy

When normies talk about "being yourself" they're actually telling you that you should adhere to imposed social contract harder, by acting more in line with what they expect from other normies

I don't think they would because I don't think being yourself is the same as acting purely on instinct. Virtue is still a part of yourself deep inside

>When normies talk about "being yourself" they're actually telling you that you should adhere to imposed social contract harder, by acting more in line with what they expect from other normies

That's true. They just want you to act comfortable and not reflect in whatever situations they consider normal.

The more hopeful interpretation would be getting out of your head and second-guessing how you behaved based on who is present around you. If you don't put on a fake persona and are just sincere about your likes and dislikes, than you would, in an ideal world, find people that share your interests and allow for social bonding.

But yeah, its mostly crock-o-shit since we all know showing your powerlevel/autismo is a social bonding IED.

Its true. You'll repel people you're not compatible with and attract those you can connect with.

My favorite quote about 'being yourself' is Albert Camus, "be so undeniably free that your very existence is an act of rebellion"

Are talking friends? I think social bonding between adult men is just naturally difficult unless you have something "tribal" to share like being neighbours or being part of the same sports team.

This idea that people should go out and make friends is childish in my opinion.

Could you clarify? I don't think making friends is childish, making friends is the only worthwhile thing in this world, you just shouldn't have to adhere to arbitrary bullshit to make friends

I did clarify.

>I think social bonding between adult men is just naturally difficult unless you have something "tribal" to share like being neighbours or being part of the same sports team.

That and "the self" is always changing. There is the self that is a child, the self as a adolescent, the self as a spouse, self as a parent. You are not some constant state or rather if you are you will not bring yourself any happiness for the lack of change in your life.

Attached: 3446253762.jpg (2400x3000, 758K)

"Be yourself" means not caring what people think of you, and being unattached to their judgements. It makes you act natural and confident

My experiences have led me to a completely different conclusion, unless you count literally any group activity as "tribal", my friend group is more or less exclusively male and we have never been neighbors or played on the same sports team

Unless you have retiring level of money, "being yourself" is a meme being pushed by normies to mean "act normal".

Attached: 1552391321421.png (818x710, 455K)

At what age did you become friends?

I wish I could be myself. I want to be a qt guy to girls. I want everyone to like me and think Im funny and a nice person. But im not accepted by 95 percent of people. Some people dont get to be accepted no matter what they do

There have been additions to this group over roughly a decade, from around the time we were 15 starting with like 4 guys, to now being an average of 27 with 9

Friends need some common ground but one's overall personality effects outcomes. It's easy for me to make friends with little effort, but I don't fear looking ignorant and am willing to try a lot so networking becomes a breeze. I could see someone with pride and slow to take on new ideas or events being choked out of social networking irl.

well like most things with anyone anywhere it's a person projecting that their "self" is your "self"

Still sounds pretty rare. Most people get their friends in childhood and beyond that it's not the same. As adults men should have responsibilities, wives and children that keep them from "making friends" just like that.

I also still think it sounds childish to "go out and make friends".

>Most people get their friends in childhood and beyond that it's not the same.
is this a igen thing? I'm 35 and I still make new friends my age. A guy at our game store claims as you but he's 24 and I think having social media as a kid has loaded him with anxiety

I will agree that it is pretty rare to remain friends with people for so long --most childhood friendships are doomed to fail once you get some significant distance.
And yeah I think I misread your first post, I thought you said that it is childish to make friends in general, not the idea that actively seeking friends in that way is childish

Yeah I think it's this trend of actively seeking friends and girlfriends that just feels unnatural to me. If someone has "I'm going to try and be nice and impress this guy/girl" in the back of his head, he's not really being himself.

That leads into what I said , people say 'be yourself' for both getting olatonic friends and romantic oartners, so I just generalized further. I don't think wanting friends is childish, we are built to seek a group, and I agree with you that putting a false front is an approach doomed to failure, just takes too much effort to fake it.

I'm more just saying, in the ideal interpretation, that if you're just sincere about your interests/views, then like minded people should be more easily found.

Personal note, been single and friendless for the past 16-18 months, and its driving me up the wall, but I can recognize that after the break up/lock out, it was mostly self imposed. I got it in my head that nobody would like me, so I didn't bother to seek out rejection, or invest time/energy in 'friends' when I hated myself so much.

But I'm going to go to a /tg/ shop and catching up with an estranged friend whose life has also gone stagnate and talking about regularly being in that public space and going to just see what happens. Its almost like that first semester of college when I last had hope that my social life could turn around, which it did for 5 years, and I'm only looking for a 6 month string of functionality to kick the mud off the tires and see where things go and not feel like I'm not just practicing for the grave.