Secondhand hardware too expensive

>have i5-4690k
>been watching ebay auctions for i7-4790k for YEARS
>150 bong pounds forever, no sign of dropping

Finally gave in today and bought one, at least I can resell my i5 and recover 100 bong pounds because I still have the box and stock heatsink/fan that has never been used not to mention the cpu looks brand new still.

Anyone else annoyed how the second hand old hardware is still demanding a premium price??

Really pissing me off, I'm trying to save my NEETBUX here but it's just not happening.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1200x1600, 190K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06ZYSCMGV/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Play older games then.

yeah, i think i'm just not going to bother upgrading again at least not until 2030 now, if the world still exists by then.

I don't really even play that much anymore, just sit here in misery and shit post.

I've decided anyway whatever if 2030 comes around, i'll buy a passively cooled, fanless, low wattage CPU ITX computer but still have the option for external graphics card for gayming (if i ever care about gaming by then, doubt it)

It you really just use it for browsing the web you didn't need that CPU upgrade. That money went to waste.

Just because it's old doesn't mean it's bad. That's the problem. PC hardware hasn't improved much over the past few years.

Also, you've wasted your money IMO. Unless you got fucked in the silicon lottery that CPU won't be much of an upgrade for the price. You should cancel your order and upgrade to a newer chipset.

the fuck do you mean, hyperthreading is a pretty big step up in today's world

this
I got the 4690k as well and it is overclocked pretty perfect for all new games.

Hyperthreading is nice but considering newer CPUs come with 6 cores minimum I'd say a newer CPU would be better.

I went from an i5-4460 to an i7-4790K. If I had an i5-4690K I wouldn't have bothered.

But not for games

a newer cpu would necessitate a new mobo, new ram, and maybe even a new hsf if the old one isn't compatible. all for what, a 10% ipc increase in the new 8th gen chips? with hyperthreading it acts as an 8 core chip, an i7 4790k oc'd is more than enough to run games as well as have the threads necessary for multitasking/multithreaded operations. stop bein a lil intel jew and letting them operate with fuckall in terms of perf over a 4 generation old chip

Not if the threads remain unused.
Four threads are plenty for shitposting.
For gaming the extra threads don't do that much in most titles. Those games that effectively utilise the extra threads are better played on more powerful hardware so the effect doesn't really show in 90% of titles.

Actually I was suggesting an upgrade to AMD. The 2600X is fantastic value for money. And my point is that he's going to have to upgrade to DDR4 memory eventually. He may as well do the full upgrade now.

lol.
amd's new cpus still fall quite short of even an i5 4690k's single core performance, which is still what matters for the vast majority of games

And yet, in benchmarks, they hold their own.

they hold their own sure, but there's no reason to drop 600 bucks on an upgrade that will yield very little performance enhancements

nothing good to play anyway
raided my brother's computer for a week for he's been away and nothing good , nothing worth investing hours into
it was to be expected, the games are being made for kids who grew up playing facebook award fest, for literal insects with an attention span of 3 minutes on a good day.

Again, you're missing my point. He's going to have to upgrade eventually, so why not do it now?

he whinging about a 150 dollar upgrade my man, i don't think OP wants to spend his good boy points needlessly

Because upgrading less frequent saves money?
If your PC runs what you want at satisfying speed why upgrade?

It's a ~50GBP upgrade if you acxount for him selling his old CPU.

Well then tell that to OP but it won't be too long until a quad core won't cut it even with HT.

I told him already.
A 4690k will cut it for multimedia and web browsing for at least another four years though. And that seems to be what OP does.

i have a normie friend that has a job that buys me latest releases still so we can play games together 1 night a week (this is an internet friend from back in 1997), the only friend i have now.

>internet friend from back in 1997
What system did you use back then? I was on a 100MHz Am486DX4. It run stable at 120MHz and I believe it might have made 150MHz but my motherboard didn't have a 50MHz FSB setting.

yeah mostly, i'm back from getting tendies from the local grocery store.

I actually have 3 legacy computers still operational that i use for retro gaming, from a win98se machine to a 2003 era win xp machine to my everyday browing computer phenom ii x4 and of course my soon to be i7-4790k with a gtx 1080 that i got for 330 bong pounds, that i pretty much only use when my internet friend wants to play a modern game with me, lol.

i think it was a k62-350mhz, can't remember lol, after that it was a thunderbird 1000mhz upgrade (these parts are long gone).

my current win98 computer is actually a pentium 4, 3ghz with a voodoo 3000 PCI, also has a sata hard drive, it's on ebay, if you just search for 3dfx voodoo 3000 PCI. i don't really want to sell it because i still play shit on it that's why i put it up for 200 and collection only lol.

>ack from getting tendies from the local grocery store.
Enjoy!

With the current market some idiot is going to buy it at that price.
Not selling mine though.

yes it will be sad to see it go if someone does buy it, i was thinking i might as well make a windows xp-32 dual boot on it and try out amigamerlins drivers under XP and try and see how badly return to castle wolfenstein runs on that, it wasn't playing nice on win98se with reference drivers! and would only do 800x600 for whatever reason

>couldnt save up 150 in years
do you have any self control

no i had, it's just that i didn't want to spend 150!
i thought it would go down in price but it's been like that for years now with no signs of letting up.

>With the current market some idiot is going to buy it at that price.
If you think that's bad, you don't wanna know how much I just paid for a sealed PS2 + accessories.

Yeah, those cards aren't actually all they're currently made up to be. Well, they're decent under Win98 but a Geforce4 4200 is obtainable and crushes every Voodoo in terms of performance.
>but muh glide
Get a Radeon X800pro or Geforce 6800 GT and use nGlide.
tell me please lol

Attached: overhyped 3dfx hardware.jpg (1196x841, 301K)

>tell me please lol
300. Slim silver, extra silver controller, silver DVD remote, 2 silver memory cards, silver vertical stand (which is really rare). All brand new and sealed.

Old black fat ones sometimes go super cheap, 120-150 quid, which is what I really wanted. I'd prefer black and I'd prefer fat. But this was a nice bundle so I went for it. Unopened silver controllers are kinda hard to get a hold of. Plus the newer-but-not-too-new slim models are reliable but still can be modded super easily.

Might sell it later if I can find a decent deal on a fat black one and then just buy a bunch of the black accessories which are easy to get. The Ethernet adaptors are rare but not impossible to find sealed.

It's a very significant upgrade for 50 bongs. I wouldn't complain.

teehee, it's the 3dfx fetishcism, wish i had bought a vooodoo 4/5 in 2000/2001 when people were flogging them for 20 quid

>I'd prefer black and I'd prefer fat.
That's what I would've said. You can even get that network card IDE combo and install a hard drive or SSD and play all those security copies without loading times.
>The Ethernet adaptors are rare but not impossible to find sealed.
Obviously I didn't read your full post before typing.

Got both (AGP) for less than 10 bucks in 2016 and 2018.
Not selling those either.

yes i will feel better if i can sell the i5 to someone who won't play up and want to return it, i've had buyer's remorse a few times selling crap now and they claim it's broken and i have to just accept the return and incur the postage loss

There's an adaptor right now for 20 quid. Some people inexplicably believe the fat PS2s are worth over 600 quid sealed which is absurd. And sometimes they appear super cheap but I can't be arsed sitting there checking eBay listings day after day.

Slim PS2s have Ethernet built-in so I'm just gonna load games over the network. It's fast and works just fine.

I really want the vertical stand for the fat PS2. That blue-purple gradient makes me so hard but finding a brand new one is literally impossible. As always with these things it's mostly the newer models you'll find and the uncommon accessories just disappear.

wow, how did you get them so cheap?

I'm lucky I guess. Sellers didn't know what hardware it was let alone the current prices.
With the 5500 I was also the first guy to call the seller about two minutes after the ad went online, the 4500 was just barely visible on the offer but I was able to spot it in an otherwise shitty PC so I offered a lowball and got it.

Actually getting those cards for realistic prices is way more fun than playing games on them. I wouldn't spend hundereds on obsolete hardware.

STFU you ungrateful nigger I still have i3-2120

With the PS4 and Xbox 1 having 8 core CPUs. I reckon newer games will actually use all 8 cores.

yeah it's the wierd thing, from when i was a kid that got no pocketmoney whatsoever; where i couldn't afford that pentium 3 1.4ghz tualatin and voodoo 5500 AGP. and i would drool over it.
had to buy my computer 2nd hand back then and took me forever to get money for a voodoo 3000 by doing gardening for people, washing their cars, where they'd give way less pay for what an adult would charge for the same services. >:(
it's that feeling of denial then, when i cared about stuff back then, (don't actually care too much now) that i could forfil in the present retroactively re-living the time lol.

I had a craptacular PC back then (said Am486DX4 @120MHz, Pentium III Celeron with heavy OC later) but they ran my games to my satisfaction.
I like collecting that old hardware because it is cool and I also like exploring what I could have had back then. But to me the appeal of Win98 gaming is having a cheap setup that runs everything fine.

you can buy a barebones ryzen 5 2500 pc for like 350-400 and $60 for 16gb of used ram
then just get a 980 for about 200 bucks and there you go

>Just because it's old doesn't mean it's bad. That's the problem. PC hardware hasn't improved much over the past few years.
to bad they still bottleneck old stuff to make you buy new like a good goy

>tfw still on sandy bridge
>i5 3470
>8gb ddr3
>if I want to upgrade 1 part I have to upgrade everything
>over 500 bong for cpu, ram & mobo
>can't buy older discontinued parts because of exact reason op specified
>they're barely cheaper than brand new parts anyway

yeah i can't actually remember what my first PC was because it was really my dad's PC and he did kick me out and make me homeless before selling up and moving to somewhere in asia permanently. -_-, i obviously am mentally ill but i had a good year before he came back from abroad to kick me out and sell the house, after i dropped out of school to play half-life 1 dm and ultima online (on 56k modem), 1000 quid phone bill for that year, but that was the best year of gaming i ever had! and i had a house for myself as my parents already divorse and i was left there alone for a year whilst he was 'working' abroad.

ayy same cpu and ram
do you have a 1050 to? i got the 3gb
i am getting a 8gb ram stick so i can upgrade to 14gb assuming it will mix

yes the second hand market is extremely strong on the end of generation hardware / top socket stuff

it's bretty nuts

do what

said

that's what i would do if i didn't already have my socket 1150 setup.

I sold a 3570k, heatsink, motherboard and 2 PSUs for a total of 200 USD last month.

as a bundle?

I know it's tempting to sell it that way, but it seems things sell and sell for more when you just sell it all seperately.

i also have this overclocking hobby, this sempron 150 cost 9.60, and i wanted something to push to the max.

i actually had it at 4.4ghz for a bit higher voltage but it wasn't stable because of the memory overclock at 4-4-4-12 times was too much and i don't feel like loosening the timings back to 5-5-5-15.

2.9ghz to 4.4ghz oc bretty cool right?

also runs cool at 36C under load, funny.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (417x412, 85K)

>gaming on 56k
Oh, I don't miss any of that. I miss the games though. And being a kid on the Internet instead of being annoyed by kids ob the web.

>2.9ghz to 4.4ghz oc bretty cool right?
Breddy cool.
>36C under load
Breddy cool indeed.

I have a 1060 gb it's probably the only saving grace right now because it can pick up a lot of the slack.

i was limited to a 1050 because 280 watt psu
i actually think my cpu needs upgraded more than my gpu
gpu is doing fine

never scimp on the PSU, it's far better to get one well over-rated for what your system requires because it will run cooler, also get an efficient one too to save on electricty bills,
the last PSU i got was:
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06ZYSCMGV/
but i got it for 114.98 quid, on offer.
also cheapo ones are more likely to blow up your entire machine, never get the no name brand crap.

Your face needs an upgrade.

What hardware do you have so this PSU seemed sensible?
I mean yeah, overdoing it a bit isn't bad but 750W?

well soon to be i7-4790k
and a gtx 1080.

plan to have some extra wattage for overclocking in the future when i am bored.

Didn't realise you were OP.
You could get away with a 500W PSU easily and have some headroom.
PSU wagtages are a lot of marketing talk desu.

yeah but i got the whole pc and put the gpu in afterwards
everyone says it works even on the 240 watt psus
what

What I'm trying to say is buy the best quality your money can afford at your system's max power draw plus 15%.

>what
Just something stupid that came to mind. Don't mind me.

yeah i like the energy efficiency and less heat too.

that seems like a big bottleneck

Everyone is having a shortage of money, ofc they ask premium price for shit.

i'll find out, plan on oc'ing the i7 to whatever the max is at 1.3v :-)

Nah, it won't be much especially with a decent OC.

later, going to have the lunch i whipped up, it's a pork stir fry rice, with extra eggs, onion, peppers, mango and pineapple and spices/seasoning

:-) good thing about being NEET is i can take the time to cook stuff.

Attached: IMG-20190319-WA0001.jpg (1600x900, 155K)