Stoic

Was there ever a third stoic thread? I was away this weekend, and March 23 was a potential date that day.

Attached: stoic.jpg (488x488, 55K)

Havent showed up yet
I think he wont post anymore
Probably was just larping

The philosophy of being a fucking pussy.

it's all just stepping stones to the Dao nigga

Attached: 15041750594372.jpg (626x626, 47K)

Is there a stoic discord?

Stoics dont use discord

I want to be a stoic Chad but I know for a fact I'd turn into reddit tier edge lord

Attached: Kindsir_cd344942203d64456187605817bd4c9c.jpg (1024x1024, 166K)

nah i decided to take the hermeticism pill instead of the stoic pill, and i'm much happier for i t

Stoicism is generally bullshit
>good thing to learn from stoicism is that you have to accept that there are some things in life you just can't control
>problem is that stoics push that to the extreme and argue that you cannot control anything
>therefore you should just limit your attachment to anything
it inhibits self-growth and when you're unable to express your emotions in a healthy way you become more of an autistic robot

Attached: 1552275380617.jpg (235x325, 41K)

There was a second thread? Was it archived?

Mentioning stoicism is a surefire way to make the sub-80 iqs of any board come crawling out of the woodwork.

t. sub-80 iq retard

Attached: sailorsmug.jpg (500x370, 82K)

Not an argument. You don't understand stoicism.

I understand it just fine Stephan
>purpose is to never fall prey to any emotions to remain static
>basically psychological self-harm so that actual harm does not hurt
>which is the main flaw of stoics and ends up becoming self-tyranny for its own sake
>because stoics are correct in that you shouldn't let emotions get the better of you to the point where you commit actions based on emotions
>but they extend that view to try to literally never have any emotion, and do everything possible to not feel frustrated, angry, or passionate about anything
There has been over 2000 years of philosophical advancement past stoicism. Like anything, should take what you can learn and simply move on.

>remain static
Nope.
>psychological self harm
The greatest psychological self harm one can do to himself is to be ruled by his emotions like a hysterical bitch. Stoicism makes the mind stronger.
>suppressing emotions
Nope. This is wrong too. Stoics don't suppress their emotions, they view their emotions objectively and seek to live at will with nature, reacting to their feelings in a way that is at will with their existence. I don't know why this philosophy draws so many idiots who think it's some form of psychological asceticism. The point of it is to find out who you were meant to be and to gain purpose in life from that identity, without letting negative emotions rule your thoughts and actions.

>find out who you were meant to be

Stoics also have a philosophical principle of following nature.
e.g. Marcus Aurelius wrote that "Philosophy requires only what your nature already demands."
>this comes primarily from Plato's view of the forms
>which are static

Meditations contains some profound advice but it's not the be-all-end-all of stoicism. Remaining "static" is in no way a goal of stoicism. To act in accordance with your nature requires that you be anything but static.

You over self-discipline yourself to the point of doing nothing or having any passions to become greater. To act "in accordance with your nature" requires precisely that you be static.

Just because you're not driven by desire for lust or "happiness" or passion or some other intangible emotional concept doesn't mean that nothing drives you. That's absurd. Virtue and contentment come naturally when you follow your purpose. Just because you can't imagine striving for more for the sake of it doesn't mean others are so small minded.

>follow your purpose
that is the mentality of a slave, you end up emotionless for its own sake under the guise that it will lead to inner peace.

here's a question for you
>what can change the nature of a man?

Attached: 1519859431331.png (319x272, 133K)

>purpose is to never fall prey to any emotions
Wow, that is incredibly wrong.
>to remain static
You shouldn't use words that you don't understand. Even a really basic one like static.

>basically psychological self-harm so that actual harm does not hurt
Why do you think this?
>which is the main flaw of stoics and ends up becoming self-tyranny for its own sake
This sentence in combination with the above, makes no sense. Self-tyranny? What the hell are you trying to express here?
>because stoics are correct in that you shouldn't let emotions get the better of you to the point where you commit actions based on emotions
k
>but they extend that view to try to literally never have any emotion, and do everything possible to not feel frustrated, angry, or passionate about anything
and wrong again

man o man u got some reading to do.