Caffeine: The Silent Killer of Success

>the good
Most people start drinking caffeine because it makes them feel more alert and improves their mood. Many studies suggest that caffeine actually improves cognitive task performance (memory, attention span, etc.) in the short-term. Unfortunately, these studies fail to consider the participants' caffeine habits. New research from Johns Hopkins Medical School shows that performance increases due to caffeine intake are the result of caffeine drinkers experiencing a short-term reversal of caffeine withdrawal. By controlling for caffeine use in study participants, John Hopkins researchers found that caffeine-related performance improvement is nonexistent without caffeine withdrawal. In essence, coming off caffeine reduces your cognitive performance and has a negative impact on your mood. The only way to get back to normal is to drink caffeine, and when you do drink it, you feel like it's taking you to new heights. In reality, the caffeine is just taking your performance back to normal for a short period.

Attached: 59827481_141535510299659_677922713931476282_n.jpg (1124x1124, 80K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=quvKBJKoRgo
academic.oup.com/sleep/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/sleep/zsz136/5535848?redirectedFrom=fulltext
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>The bad: Adrenaline.
Drinking caffeine triggers the release of adrenaline. Adrenaline is the source of the fight-or-flight response, a survival mechanism that forces you to stand up and fight or run for the hills when faced with a threat. The fight-or-flight mechanism sidesteps rational thinking in favor of a faster response. This is great when a bear is chasing you, but not so great when you're responding to a curt email. When caffeine puts your brain and body into this hyper-aroused state, your emotions overrun your behavior.

Irritability and anxiety are the most commonly seen emotional effects of caffeine, but caffeine enables all of your emotions to take charge.

The negative effects of a caffeine-generated adrenaline surge are not just behavioral. Researchers at Carnegie Mellon University found that large doses of caffeine raise blood pressure, stimulate the heart, and produce rapid shallow breathing, which readers ofEmotional Intelligence 2.0know deprives the brain of the oxygen needed to keep your thinking calm and rational.

Attached: 1a37555-332x350.jpg (332x350, 34K)

>the ugly: Sleep.

When you sleep, your brain literally recharges, shuffling through the day's memories and storing or discarding them (which causes dreams), so that you wake up alert and clear-headed. Your self-control, focus, memory, and information-processing speed are all reduced when you don't get enough--or the right kind--of sleep. Your brain is very fickle when it comes to sleep. For you to wake up feeling rested, your brain needs to move through an elaborate series of cycles. You can help this process along and improve the quality of your sleep by reducing your caffeine intake.

Here's why you'll want to: caffeine has a six-hour half-life, which means it takes a full twenty-four hours to work its way out of your system. Have a cup of joe at 8 a.m., and you'll still have 25 percent of the caffeine in your body at 8 p.m. Anything you drink after noon will still be at 50 percent strength at bedtime. Any caffeine in your bloodstream--with the negative effects increasing with the dose--makes it harder to fall asleep.

When you do finally fall asleep, the worst is yet to come. Caffeine disrupts the quality of your sleep by reducing rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, the deep sleep when your body recuperates and processes emotions. When caffeine disrupts your sleep, you wake up the next day with an emotional handicap. You're naturally going to be inclined to grab a cup of coffee or an energy drink to try to make yourself feel better. The caffeine produces surges of adrenaline, which adds to your emotional handicap. Caffeine and lack of sleep leave you feeling tired in the afternoon, so you drink more caffeine, which leaves even more of it in your bloodstream at bedtime. Caffeine very quickly creates a vicious cycle.

Attached: 56866526_159096418449583_3790452722764946675_n.jpg (1080x1350, 114K)

The Misconception: Coffee stimulates you.

The Truth: You become addicted to caffeine quickly, and soon you are drinking coffee to cure withdrawal more than for stimulation.

>The truth is, once you’ve been drinking coffee for a while, the feeling you are getting after a cup isn’t the difference between the normal you and the super you, it’s the difference between the addict before and after a fix.

Attached: 1565584634661.jpg (1024x768, 86K)

BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC |

BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC |
BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC |
BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC |
BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC |
BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC |
BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC |

BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC | BUILT FOR BWC | BRED FOR BWC

Attached: 1456696754892.jpg (1050x700, 167K)

okay whats the alt then?

when im on coffee im a go-getter

"The take home is that regular use of caffeine produces no benefit to alertness, energy, or function. Regular caffeine users are simply staving off caffeine withdrawal with every dose – using caffeine just to return them to their baseline. This makes caffeine a net negative for alertness, or neutral at best if use is regular enough to avoid any withdrawal.”

- Neurologist Stephen Novella

Attached: 1565584764917.png (998x1194, 1.29M)

yikes

>gogetter
Read the thread, its only an illusion.

>Withdrawal occurs at dosages as low as 100 mg/day. That’s just one typical cup of coffee. One study (Field et al., 2003) even found that abstaining from just 41 mg/day for 30 hours decreased blood flow to some parts of the brain by 19-32%. The most common withdrawal symptoms are headache, fatigue, decreased energy/activeness, decreased alertness, drowsiness, decreased contentedness, depressed mood, difficulty concentrating, irritability, and foggy/not clearheaded-ness. Withdrawal is much, much more common than most people think. Many people just assume legal drugs are perfectly safe and only associate withdrawal with illegal drugs, even though there is practically no relation between the toxicity and addictiveness of drugs and their legal status, but caffeine withdrawal is extremely common. In fact, many studies overestimated the positive effects of caffeine, because they didn’t exclude habitual caffeine consumers. This causes participants to be in withdrawal during the study and the so called positive effects of caffeine are then merely withdrawal reversal. If your training sessions are notably poorer without stimulants, you may very well be in withdrawal. Withdrawal also causes muscle stiffness and weakness.
(Juliano & Griffiths, 2004).

Attached: 1565584828997.jpg (700x875, 105K)

i get that. but what else do i take
nicotine ?

Good sleep, good nutrition

I FUCK HATE WATER AAAAAAAH

Start with decaff then

WHERES THE SOURCE WHERES THE SOURCE WHERES THE SOURCE WHERES THE SOURCE LOL

Attached: mrolympia.jpg (1124x596, 749K)

I didn't quit drinking caffeine entirely, but about 6 months ago I managed to switch entirely off of coffee and onto Chinese green tea/oolong. I find that it's a good psychological crutch because it replaces the time I used to spend brewing/drinking coffee & reading the newspaper in the morning, which sort of outs a buffer between waking up and going to work. I also stopped allowing myself to consume any caffeine after noon. My "insomnia" went away completely and I found that a lot of my stomach issues cleared up as well. The only downside is that I spend a lot more money on fancy tea than I did on cheap coffee. Is green tea low enough in caffeine to be worth forming a tea habit, or am I still cucking myself out of going clear? Should I just be quitting caffeine entirely?

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 19K)

He's definitely right bro. Have you ever tried sleeping on 1 week nocaffeine vs. 2 cups a day. The difference is obvious.

How much caffeine does your tea contain? If its 50-70mg it wont be an issue imo.

I never feel like I get truly awake when I first get up if I don’t get at least 8floz of black coffee. I’m groggy as fuck. Are you saying this will go away if I stop drinking it?

While Coffee has its own whole culture, much like Wine, I think tea is the superior option anyhow. People already know different types of tea, and then you can collect them, and each tea is good for different moods and times. While I would need to read this study to determine how much I trust it, though the sources and lines from OP seem logical, Switching to tea is a better option anyhow IMO. Since you can get caffeinated tea, and ladies love Tea.

Goddam i hate statements based on decade old research and spread misiniformation. Spread fear more idiot

Try

A review of caffeine’s effects on cognitive, physical and occupational performance

Tom M.McLellan 2016

The Influence of Caffeine Supplementation on Resistance Exercise: A Review

Jozo Grgic 2018

Attached: CURRENT RESEARCH.png (1722x1130, 164K)

Read the thread brainlet

>physical performance
Sure it does. Thats why athletes use it for competiton day. But not habitual. And the trade off with destroying rem sleep and hundred other side effects is not worth it.

yes

The performance enhancing effects aren’t very relevant for bodybuilders though, because caffeine’s effectiveness generally decreases for activities the shorter their duration with pretty minimal ergogenic function for purely anaerobic activities (Davis & Green, 2009;Tarnopolsky, 2010). Besides, temporary performance increases aren’t very relevant for bodybuilders anyway, unless they also result in higher gains from training.

There are a couple problems with this hypothesis.
The first is that coffee withdrawal takes place in your sleep, and for every minute of withdrawal you go through, you're closer to baseline.
So by the time you wake up, you have recovered a bit, and you can get the same boost that you got before from drinking one single cup. No need to increase the dose.

Second is that coffee improves performance not necessarily due to stimulation, but due to amusement. Coffee is fun, it makes work less monotonous.

Third is that L-theanine taken with coffee negates all anxiety, leaving only mood/performance benefits.

That being said it's not without its downsides. Adrenal fatigue can happen, so I personally would take it in cycles, as well as only using a cup or less of high quality coffee per day.

I can see your brain is currently operating on a lack of caffeine. What you posted is addressed directly by OP.

I can’t. I haven’t had my coffee yet

There's a couple problems with your hypotheses. One namely being a lack of source material

Lower dosages generally induce incomplete tolerance, but side effects already occur at ~200 mg/day, including increased anxiety. Sleep disruption is also very common, as caffeine has a half-life of 5-6 hours, meaning a strong cup of coffee (120 mg) taken 10 hours before bed still leaves 30 mg caffeine active in your system. People don’t experience these effects this way, because human psychology is set up to detect only differences in our mental state and is generally poorly equipped to detect absolutes. This causes you to think caffeine is only working when the effects are still accumulating, which takes 30 to 90 minutes, and think it’s wearing off when it’s only just past its peak.

Who gives a shit, it's Jow Forums. Even if you had an essay with properly cited paragraphs, you just wasted 5 hours arguing with some fag who doesn't even lift lol

spoken like a true coping junkie. amusement comes from stimulation you brainlet.

Do you literally not see the reference in the paper to his OPs old ass 2004 paper you fucking brainlet retard.

OPs paper isnt adressing any of this shit because this papers from 2016

Attached: brainhurt.png (979x616, 61K)

post body

What I said is that the performance boost from coffee is due to the mood boost, rather than from being mentally "faster" due to stimulation.
Anyway, if you aren't addicted to coffee, you're addicted to arguing with people on Jow Forums, which is probably worse for your success and well-being. Everything in life is an addiction, even if it isn't a chemical you ingest.

Are you retarded or something? Nobody is denying what you say including op. The point still stands that habitual consumption is retarded because its a net negative.

WHERE DOES ANY CURRENT META ANALYTIC RESEARCH SAY ITS A NET NEGATIVE?

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=quvKBJKoRgo

Attached: jh.png (1625x856, 515K)

That's part of the reason I got into it. I used to really like collecting interesting-tasting, rare red wines and good scotch, but I quit drinking alcohol, so I find that collecting interesting varieties of high grade oolong/green/white tea is a good replacement for that aspect of my life.

1 month no caffeine. The sleep is so good

>stimulant which lets do you more volume/intensity than you normally handle without a recovery component, which also destroys your rem sleep is totally going to be a net positive
Brainlet. Take it for peak day but if you take it for normal gym sessions you are beyond retarded and simply addicted

In other words you are going to overreach much faster, cant train as frequent because you need more rest so you are going to kill your long term progress with caffeine and have less gains.

Caffeine sends your cortisol through the roof literally aging you faster aswell btw.

I dunno, I think overreaching faster is a good thing. Otherwise you have to lift more often to do the same amount of muscle damage.

> continues to not post any actual scientific evidence.

keep talking outta your ass

Attached: you.png (1280x960, 172K)

>what is meso/makro cycle
Wrong lad. You need accumulation of volume not just nuking yourself out needing to deload after a week.

Just out of curiosity user, how much caffeine do you take how often per week?

Yeah, all our diagnoses of insomnia and tranquilizer prescriptions. They were all just caffeine side effects this whole time. Fkn doctors are retarded.

No one needs to deload after a week of coffee use lol. Maybe every month or two.
Caffeine also increases explosive power, meaning higher training quality if that's your goal.

What exact point dont you agree with my opinion or my papers because i actually agree with every point on your paper but it doesnt make any point i said less true user

i drink 6 cups of coffee a day and sleep like a baby every night

>I just need a quick hit of ______ so I can focus better!
Listen to yourself

Attached: Wendy.jpg (480x360, 139K)

>caffeine increases..
Habitual doesnt. And if it does, (which again IT DOESNT) its offset by worse recovery. Longterm im going to lift more with better sleep than me training on caffeine. Been there done that, same with all my gym friends including competitive strength athletes.

2 teabags of tea + 1 x 200mg caffeine pill 1 hour before resistance training 3 times a week. The rest of the week is either one teabag in the morning or nothing to minimize tolerance effects.

i smoke 6 crack rocks a day and sleep like a baby

That's because you've fucked your taste buds. After a few months drinking nothing else, you'll fucking love water. I almost exclusively drank soda for years, and now I fucking love water. Nothing is more satisfying to me than chugging down a liter of water, not even sex, not that I'd know

Quit it and switch to water entirely. Your body (especially teeth) with thank you for it

That's a bit of an inconsistent argument. If habitual caffeine use doesn't boost performance, then you won't overreach because you won't be doing more volume.
If habitual caffeine use does boost performance, then you experience benefits due to higher quality of training through increased neuromuscular efficiency.
Maybe it's best to cycle it during periods of heavy or explosive training.

I actually just don't believe you--unless--How much liquor do you guzzle before bed every night?

>low dosage 3x per week
Actually high iq. Could be a net positive. Im talking more about 400-600mg daily usage which is what most gym bros do with their preworkouts which is a net negative.

How bad is bubbly water? I drink a lot of club soda these days.

I don't drink

most of caffeines effects are psychological. The physical action of what caffeine does to human biomechanics is it slightly contracts blood vessels - if you are under the constant effect of caffeine long enough the new blood vessels and cells that grow under the slight contraction basically develop a mini evolution to the habitat, so even new growth cells will be slightly smaller. So when you withdraw suddenly the small PSI change causes the blood vessels to expand back to their normal size which can cause even micro bursts of capillaries because the flow is slowed down. You are psychologically acting out what is exactly happening in your body.

400 -600mg is not neccessary if you low dose and not everyday, You only need that much if you're literally fucked your tolerance to it. in which case youll see minimal benefits because youll have to keep upping it. I would suggest if you really drink a fuck tonne of caffeine do it 3 weeks on 1 week off. but even then I prefer low-minimal dose because it still very potent for me because I haven't built a tolerance by not ingesting a fuck tonne everyday.

I drink a monster energy every day and also sleep 8 hours no problem. I can actually go to sleep immediately after drinking one, wake up 8 hours later and piss like a race horse.

> those studies by dozens of PhD candidates were all faulty! fortunately, my GED education has equipped me with the tools to solve this problem.

I think it tastes like cat piss personally, but I almost never drink soda anymore, so I'm not sure how you'd find it. I also don't know how it affects your health, but it's probably better than anything other than water

>all the seething caffeine addicts itt
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

you people are so weird and obsessed. if you think it is that bad for you don't drink it. i don't give a fuck about junkies doing other drugs why do you care?

op is doing gods work. stay mad faggot.

I've gone 6+ months on nocaffeine many times and I'm always lethargic and unable to focus the entire time. No amount of time off will get me to the level of functioning I'm at when I'm drinking caffeine 4-5 days weekly. Caffeine does a lot of things in the body. The main thing it's known for, adenosine receptor antagonism, not only promotes wakefulness but increases dopamine release due to adenosine receptors being all over dopaminergic neurons and also coupling with dopamine receptors in the striatum. It's a nonselective PDE inhibitor, increasing cAMP levels and lowering TNF-a (inflammation). It antagonizes inhibitory glycine receptors and excitatory IP3 receptors in the brain and spinal cord, altering activity in ways we don't understand one bit. There's a lot of shit that can be out of balance in the body. Maybe some people just have a chemical makeup that makes them work better on caffeine. All I know is that it makes me more social and all around more functional.

Attached: caf.jpg (638x298, 154K)

As a idiot in sales, I stopped taking stim Supps.

I still crave coffee as a out during the daily grind of hell .

this hit me in the chest

can you say that shit again in english?

>All I know is that it makes me more social and all around more functional
So does cocaine, doesnt mean its good for you.

>caffeine
>cocaine
>anywhere close to the same level

Attached: not.jpg (250x241, 7K)

goddamn this bitch is huge

I believe this. I used to drink 6 cups of coffee a day. Eventually, that, combined with 8+ months of sleeping less than 6 hours a night and a high stress job led me to a fun bout of agoraphobia and panic disorder. I quit all sources of caffeine except the occasional bit of chocolate. And now I see clearly that the caffeine doesn't help. It's robbing later you for a short bit of energy now. If you use it regularly, you're just a slave to the cycle. I don't have any less energy in the morning than I used to, but now I have energy all day. You don't need caffeine, you need sleep.

Attached: 1565033545732.png (371x353, 148K)

B&R

would caffeine be practical in military usage as a pill?

How long does it take to break the cycle? If I cut caffeine out today, when can I expect to return to normal levels of energy?

Lmao can't believe the anti caffeine retard is still making these threads.
Kill yourself my dude
DYEL retard

It does the opposite, it reduces chronic inflammation by the same protein binding mechanism that make people stay "awake" after drinking it.

SEETHING AHAHAHAHAHA

I drink coffee because it tastes good and I enjoy it, and outside of caffeine it's not terrible for you, and personally it does not effect my sleep ability. I've drank 2 cups of coffee at 9pm and gone to bed normally with no issue at 10-11pm multiple times.

Post body DYEL

>destroying REM sleep
Lol, it doesn't come close to "destroying" any kind of sleep. Slightly inhibit, sure, but destroy? Fuck off.

>no argument
>p-post body
How does it feel being a single digit iq no brained insect?

Cope. A literal billion anectodals dont lie regarding significant sleep quality improvment + science to back it up aswell.

I drink for the taste
>Drink regular caffeinated from fall till spring
>The warmth and slight kick of caffeine is great
>I like it sweet and milky so it's fairly diluted
>When it gets warmer I sleep more to offset the nocaff zombie brain
>Drink only iced coffee, still sweet and milky
>weave some decafs inbetween the caffeinated drinks
>Caffine free every single summer

I bought a nespresso machine recently and I've been experimenting with their capsules so I've been topped up on caffeine this summer but once I find a blend I like I'll probably get it in decaf

>coffee never did shit to me
>never drink it because it's bitter
>fast forward to mid 20s
>start drinking 2 cappuccinos each day
>it literally makes me happy and more functional overall and doesn't disrupt my sleep
>find about all the caffeine health benefits and how it might even prevent chronic low inflammation in the body, which is the main cause of a shitload of diseases.

>check Jow Forums to see what they think
>"NOOOOO STOP DRINKING THIS SHIT IT'S LITERALLY THE GAINS GOBLIN SATAN THAT WILL NEVER LET YOU SLEEP AND MAKE YOU AGE 3 TIMES AS FAST BECAUSE DA JOOS AND SHIET"

Attached: 1546322903644.png (900x665, 137K)

To say it "destroys" rem sleep implies that REM sleep is literally impossible with caffeine in you, which is blatantly untrue. It does make sleep more difficult for many people but to say it has such a massive impact is false.

>coffee fucks your slee-

academic.oup.com/sleep/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/sleep/zsz136/5535848?redirectedFrom=fulltext

It's literally one guy whose girlfriend left him for a barista that makes these threads. The general consensus on caffeine/coffee is that it's fine in moderation. The guy who posts these threads every day doesn't even lift bro, don't take it seriously

Bro. I used to have really fast thought patterns and now they've slowed down alot. Feels really weird. But yeah. No caffeine at all now. Still feeling slow , but each day I'm getting better

I used to be a fucking zombie for my whole life before coffee. I exercised, ate well and slept at least 8 hours. I still woke up feeling like shit in the morning, I still was tired the whole fucking day. I then started drinking coffee and it made me more social, gave me more energy, cleared the cobwebs in my brain. Basically felt like I was a new person with energy. I avoided coffee because I always heard it made you even more tired and even more sleepy, but fuck it I caved in and haven't gone back and don't want to go back. My life was low-energy AF before coffee. I don't even exercise as much as I used to and don't watch what I eat as much as I used to and the difference is still there.

>this happened

I've been drinking green tea for about a year now and I've never felt better. Sleep well, focus well, and get energy without jitters. Coffee is only bad for wagies/normies that don't get enough sleep and overcaffeinate themselves by drinking it multiple times a day, as well as adding tons of sugar.

It's fine in moderation bro. But tea honestly is better.

It’s just one autistic shitposter. Ignore it.

this girl is super fuckin thicc

Attached: 46195311_172974696997803_4441538389555518424_n (1).jpg (1080x1350, 80K)