Redpill me on rowing, boys

Redpill me on rowing, boys.
>how is it for cutting?
>how long should my sessions be?
>should I just skip the middleman and join an amateur boating team?

I'm not good with jargon so please dumb down your language for my retarded ass.

Attached: 19840728_738-1920x860.jpg (1920x860, 244K)

just buy a c2 rower they're not very expensive and good cardio.

>950 dollars.
>Not Expensive.

Yeah, it's not ridiculous, but it's not fucking nothing.

I've been looking at a few, thinking about just getting a used machine off amazon or something. Only $75.

I've been needing a good source of cardio since my elyptical bit it.

i just bought one because i was bored. i like it.
whatever. just keep in mind shitty machines will have weird pulls that might fuck with your back

Attached: 1542669149517.png (1214x74, 17K)

I looked at the cheap ones, they have a max weight of about 200 most of the time and I'm not quite there yet so I think they're out of the question.
The c2 looks great but it's still really fucking expensive and I'm poor.

Is there any major difference between air and water rowers? I've got a few up on a local fitness supplier's site and I'm just wondering.

air vs water should be similiar depends i guess. some water rowers are like 10x the price of air rowers so i have to assume theyre based. dunno. never seen a rowing club or gym or me use anything but the C2. if you cant afford a proper rower test out a C2 then test your cheap rower see if the pull feels good. if it does go for it. otherwise get a stationary bike man. or a better job

Most of the water ones are cheaper here and the stationary bikes are about the same price as a rower.
My job doesn't pay terribly it's just that my expenses are kind of high in my city.
I found a decent water rower for about $750, that looks doable.
Any tips to not fuck up my back while doing this?

>I found a decent water rower for about $750, that looks doable.
>Any tips to not fuck up my back while doing this?
Save up for a C2 if you're going to just drop 750 anyway. A used stationary is like 200bx maximum even in my expensive country.

as far as tips check youtube. theres some fucking tall lanklet that makes rowing videos on form and he has some progression tips and training techniques which are top notch

In the same rowing club where some German Olympic champions started their career.
Good mix out of cardio and strength, but it is repetitive and boring. Even the professionals avoid rowing on the water as much as possible. Mostly a reduced powerlifting routine in 45-75min 3-5 times a week and actual rowing 1-3 times.
The fitness room (with olimpic weights and some machines but nothing crazy) and low price is the reason why 70% haven't left the club yet. But if you are a gym member its not worth it.
Don't get me wrong they are beasts on the ergo and in the boat, but lift not that heavy and have imo unbalanced look. Strong back and legs but flat chest and no arms. Perfect sport if you have a bad back or posture, want to train usable strength or are above 60. If you have a weak knee do something else.
Not elitist like in movies, but probably differs between clubs. The prejudice also keeps the dumb trash out.
Tl;Dr: Just use the rowing machine as warm-up and cardio, while doing a bodybuilding routine and you get the best out of both worlds. Also pretty sure the gayest sport.

I did rowing in high-shool and a little bit in college

I miss it alot. Nothing like when you have everyone in perfect sync and you are in a race. power 10's on an 8 with people who know what they are doing felt fucking AMAZING

Is there any other reason people like the c2 stuff other than it being what a lot of gyms buy? I'm a little lost as to why I shouldn't get something like an everbright or xterra or some shit.

Keep your back straight and locked at an angle during the drive. Keep your shoulder blades back throughout the whole movement. The leg drive motion isn't too different from a deadlift, but it'll take time to get used to if you haven't used an erg before.
t. Division 1 collegiate rower.

Attached: Rowing-Stroke-Cycle-750x323.png (750x323, 289K)

Thank you rowbro.

Don't mean to samefag, missed this post. Concept 2s are the ergs used in WRIC and are the standard for training. Water rowers are ok and stuff like pic related is good for practicing feathering, but for physical conditioning, get a C2. An older used model like a PM2 shouldn't be too expensive. Ask around to local highschool clubs, colleges, and boathouses. They may be looking to move older models.

Attached: Single-Swing-Trainer.png (770x350, 158K)

So air rowers are the best option then? Any particular way in which the water rowers fall behind?
Also, when I look up pm2 I only get the monitors. Do you mean the model C?

I have limited experience with water rowers simply because very few events use them, but they're more complex mechanically and they don't feel as good/smooth to use. They're also larger/heavier and I don't know if they calculate splits the same as a C2. Yes, the model C, sorry. Any C2 with the plastic handles would be fine though, just avoid the wooden ones. They are much more uncomfortable.

Ok, thanks rowanon! I'll try to find one on craigslist or something, I appreciate your help.

Attached: 1507944773596.gif (354x163, 2.03M)

No problem, rowing is a great workout. Good luck!

What's a good pace to aim for when doing 5ks for something like the pete plan? Is it bad to be slower than 2min/500m?

any varsity rowers here?
starting this saturday in canada with 2ks

Concept 2s are scientific in how they measure power output and let you dial in settings. Two gyms with the same model Concept 2 will row very similarly.

You never know how your 500m time on one water rower will translate to another water rower as they are all so different, even with the same model with supposedly the same amount of water.

A 2 min split for a 5k would be pretty good for a complete beginner. I'd recommend trying out the erg first, getting a feel for the motion. The technique behind the stroke is important, and it's easier to build a solid foundation of technique and then add power to it rather than the opposite. Creating bad habits for the sake of pulling hard on the erg is an easy trap to fall into. Assuming you're 25-35 and a male in decent shape, aim for a 5k at below a 2:20 overall split around 24 strokes per minute. Take it easy, practice each part of the stroke, and focus on a positive drive to recovery ratio (the drive should be quick and the recovery should be slower and relaxed). Once you feel comfortable with your technique, increase the stroke rate (no higher than 30) and drop your splits. The Pete Plan looks like a tough yet reasonable regimen for a novice. Good luck!

Former here, rowed all through high school and college. Good luck on your 2k's, they're painful but fun!

This is a much better explanation than I offered . Every C2 at the same resistance will give you the same results, and they're the machine used for competitions, so familiarity with them is beneficial.

Thanks for the info on that one. I'll definitely try to find a c2 then, already found one for around $500.

Haha, are you in my club? That has been exactly my experience for the past 5 years rowing competitively

Attached: thank.gif (700x673, 68K)

Last year I was banging a freshman rower from Stanford, I was 27 and he was 19-20 or whatever there isn’t a bouncer at my bedroom door checking IDs. Some closeted homo who bothered me on tinder but hoe lee shit his body was retarded widest shoulders, retarded back. I developed a cumming on back fetish cause of him. Had to be top 3 bodies I’ve scored but he wasn’t much of a fuck to write home about. He could go for a while so I guess I can attribute his stamina to rowing r-right?
Then he caught feels and I had to sink that boat, god I’m hilarious
I know this doesn’t help the thread in any way but I had to fagflex on y’all

Don't get an air rower, they're too loud for home use. C2 has online competitions, that's their advantage over water rowers.

I started rowing at gym a few months ago and bought a C2 for home. Is 2:00 per 500m split too hard for steady state?

I can do a 1:57 30r20 but that feels hard for me so should I be going slower than 2:00 for longer steady state?

As a former rower from a rival school.

This doesn’t surprise me one bit

My C2 is pretty quiet man. dunno why you think theres an issue

I started rowing on my rest days last week and today I've finally managed to get to 8km in 40 minutes. Pretty proud of myself not gonna lie.

What do you mean „unbalanced“?
That was me after 2018 season, didn't do weights for around 5 months because too much rowing (could still close coc 2.5)

Attached: pullonstick.jpg (1522x2054, 1.04M)

My uni has a club for it. Last year they posted a bunch of pics on Facebook trying to recruit. One of them as like
"Do you want to look like this guy? Join rowing"
Pic of guy who didn't look buff at all
It can't be bad for you but I heard that they practice at 5-6 AM or something and it's mostly getting on a rowing machine and doing it for a long time

How much you are erging depends on the season. Most competitive clubs will train longer water pieces in the fall, Aerobic base development in the winter, and sprints into the spring because thats how the racing will shake out. not sure what is talking about in terms of professionals not wanting to be on the water but maybe its just different culturally. Rowing was the greatest thing
I ever did, so i earned my coaching certs.