/MartialArtsGeneral/

Martial arts genersl, old thread is kill.
Discuss fighting, training, complain about aikido and judo, etc.

I'll start off. What cardio is better for martial arts/BJJ, running or cycling?

Attached: anderson-silva.jpg (600x400, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Ob0Ta49vx5o
teamusa.org/usa-boxing/membership/find-a-club
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Reminder that if you're doing a martial art for self-defense you're either delusional or would be better spending your time making more money so you don't have to live around nigs

cycling for injury reason's i would assume. Also aikido and wing chun will win over 90%of street fights. They are both shit style's, but normies are fucking retarded.

Attached: 1566223903673.jpg (540x564, 67K)

Brainlet

I love martial arts m8 but there is no realistic situation in which they are valid for self-defense. If you're buger then you would be 100x better getting ccw and not living around nigs. If you're in a cuck country like mine then it doesn't matter either way as both islanders and lebs travel in packs.

How the heck do I get a submission that isn't RNC in nogi? I can't get a hold of anything in mount/side control

Attached: 1468728505445.jpg (412x430, 29K)

Wrist control, then Americana. Or learn to do an arm triangle choke

I fucking love arm triangle

Any tips on getting the opponent's arm in the correct position? It seems easy to just get the arm to the side of the head or the jaw, as opposed to the neck where it's supposed to be. The arm positioning is kind of annoying

Use your head to shift it a bit. You can also give up position if you have your triangle and their arm secure. As long as you get their arm in the general position you can circle your shoulder toward their head for extra squeeze for a neck crank even if you miss the choke

what do you fags know about boxing gyms

not bs boxcercise gyms for wealthy white middle aged white collar workers but actual boxing gyms crawling with illiterate Puerto Ricans and nigger teenagers being trained by former pros and junk

i want to join one but honestly I'm deathly afraid

based

Most are easy going, close communities quite open to new comers.
Just be respectful, do don't worry user.

What kind of work I can do in the gym? I started training boxing last month and my training regime consists of 4 days technique and two days physical training. I was doing fine but this month I started uni and I can’t do my two days of PT because I’m in the fucking school from 7 AM to 9 PM.

Americana from mount is the go to submission on absolute newbs

It's also easy as hell and really fun.

I'm not a newb I'm just new to nogi. Americana doesn't work against any of the good guys in my gym and I don't want to spam it on newbies.
I can do mounted triangles but I'm gonna work on arm triangles, I never learned them.

Attached: 1566137555810.png (1012x1080, 307K)

Cycling, jogging, calisthenics

In my boxing gym there are 60% are pro's. the rest is joking around. But the trainer always seperates the group in 2. With 1 group of just normies just doing it for cardio reasons. and other group with some serious people.

Despite what fit says i actually won street fights using Taekwondo

Mothers milk

Fucking hate this move so much reeeee

Bump

>catch head and arm for darce-anaconda-arm in guillotine chain
>catch underhook for step over into kimura-inverted triangle-armbar chain
>alternatively arm triangle, chest compressor, north-south choke, several necktie variations etc, but these are more opportunistic loose attempts - also, all the guillotine

The real big one
>leave opponent only one alley of escape into a certain position, attack during transition

Attached: 1E7B7332-14A8-467E-8C85-386074274FF7.jpg (480x480, 21K)

Cycling/jogging/swimming for endurance, sprints for explosiveness.

Does anyone here compete, or just do martial arts for cardio/strength? I keep seeing arguments over which style is better for self defense in these threads, but what about using it against people who actually train as much as you?

Do I still get brain damage from kickboxing if I don't spar, or only spar light?

I am starting BJJ for fun, and might want to compete in the future. Although I certainly find it useful for self defense, it's not the main reason I am going to do it

Any hit to the head runs the risk of injury, how severe long term damage is may depend on how hard and how often. Just light spar or not at all, you're still going to be better at fighting than the average Joe if you focus on technique. Watch film to get a better understanding as well.

As an absolute beginner, how can I tell if a boxing gym I'm signing up at is good? A lot of boxing gyms are kind of catered towards a weight loss boot camp kind of crowd in my area.
Also what do I do find there are only box-fit styled gyms around my gym?

Look for a gym that trains fighters, people that compete locally in tournaments. There should be an overlap of boxing, MMA, maybe even Muay Thai fighters if it's a legit fight gym, but you don't have to fight if you don't want to.

If all you can find are the fitness type gyms, make the effort to study proper technique and work on cardio outside of gym time.

What martial art should I take up?

I don't wanna grapple and cuddle and throw, I wanna punch and kick and become a Mishima-tier sick fuck.

So right now I guess it's between taekwondo, muay thai, and kung fu. The choices in my city are limited.

Any ideas?

>Fight would be hard
>Guess I better not fight

user if you own a gun you can -still- lift and learn how to box.

Muay Thai is the most effective striking style

What's a good reason to practice martial arts that isn't discipline and self-improvement? At this point we pretty much know that none of them are applicable in real life so self defense is out of the question. Health and fitness don't count since those aren't exclusive to martial arts, you can achieve that through any form of physical activity.

I can't think of a single one besides it looking cool.

Fun things are fun.

Fun?

>none of them are applicable in real life

says who? if you really believe that, why don't you go and try to challenge Cain Velasquez to a fist fight?
Stop saying bullshit

fighting is fun desu senpai

>At this point we pretty much know that none of them are applicable in real life
I mean tueller drill is a thing. And there are multiple military hand to hand training styles etc. so it's not like nothing here applies. That or the cops at my judo place just do it for fun, which is possible.

Armbar
Leg lock
Kimora

Assuming you’re an average sized man like my self, if we were to into a fist fight I would whoop your ass. I’ve only been doing kickboxing/Muay Thai for a month and the difference is huge.

recommended martial arts gyms in london?

Real Muay Thai involed a lot of clinching and hugging, if you have homophobia then you will properly have a lot of problem with it.

My advice is to accept manly hugs and stop being so snobby "fighter".

Used to compete several times a year, now focusing on getting Judo first dan because I kept postponing it due to competitions, then back to Judo tournaments and BJJ before I get promoted to brown belt.

What's the closest thing to Greco-Roman wrestling for people who didn't start when they were 11?

I compete in judo, used to do boxing. I like to throw people.

Judo. Followed by folkstyle wrestling I think.

Other wrestling style or, with the current ban on leg grabs, Judo.

But if you really want to do Greco-Roman, do that if you have access to it. Be aware that it has one of the highest injury rates amongst grappling arts.

I don't know what, if anything, I want to do besides BJJ. So far, my options are lifing, cardio, kickboxing, and nothing. My main goals are to get good at BJJ, have fun, and be healthy and happy in the short as well as the long term. What is the best route /MAG/?

>there are people who still lift and do martial arts at the same time
>b-but muh deadlift strength
strength does nothing in a fight

Attached: pro powerlifter wants to box but his muscles won't let him.webm (480x270, 1.91M)

I'm thinking of taking up martial arts but i don't want to spend a shit ton on lessons and equipment. Whats the cheapest one to learn?

>strength does nothing in a fight
this is bait

>post body

im not doing it for defense user, im doing it for OFFENSE

Buying a knife or not being a little faggot

Judo or boxing usually. Followed by wrestling but that's IF you can find it as an adult. Avoid BJJ though, they have a rep for being expensive same as most MMA places. You will have to spend money on gloves/gi for boxing/judo, but usually the difference is made up as a month at a boxing/judo place is in the $50 range max, while BJJ MMA can hit $150-$200 often.

Lol only a month and you're feeling this tough? You probably go to a fitness place that has you flopping on a heavy bag making you feel badass.

do you mean fifty a lesson or a month

I bought a long heavybag and hamged it in the garage. Ive got 14 oz gloves and mexican style wraps and i know how to wrap them from youtube. What should i do next if i want to improve my striking, like kickboxing or muy thai
What kimd of routine would you recommemd for a complete beginner, with no conditioning and average cardio? I dont wamt to fuck up myself bit i also do not intemd to waste my time in there.

No I train at a very high level mma gym. But if you did jiujitsu for a month you would feel the difference too.

A month. Jesus Christ who would pay $50 a lesson, unless it was some sort of 1 on 1 with a pro. $50 a month is in the high mid range for boxing and judo.

good, I got worried for a minute there

You're the living definition of Dunning Kruger effect

If you’ve never trained you wouldn’t understand. Someone who has 1 or 2 months more experience than me beats my ass. It’s just very ignorant to say all martial arts are useless for self defense

>What kimd of routine would you recommemd for a complete beginner, with no conditioning and average cardio? I dont wamt to fuck up myself bit i also do not intemd to waste my time in there.
Going to an actual striking gym

bump

this and sprints

Real self defense is swollow your pride, situational awareness, and run the fuck away. Killers and monsters operate on a different level than us fags. Don't street fight bro.

I would never street fight someone. There are crazy mother fuckers out there bro

Budokwai
Ray Stevens Academy
Roger Gracie Academy
Camberly Judo Club isn't London as such but is within the M25

Supplement with Judo if you just want to be a good grappler.

Go and get taught by someone who knows what they're doing.

Lifting and cardio if you just want BJJ gains, kickboxing if you want martial art gains

How often should that be done for maximal benefit?

Would an hour of decently paced (not too fast) cycling be enough as cardio? I have to cycle to get to uni 4x a week, but at a pace where I don't sweat too much.
Also, what routine is advisable?

Aikido winning anything?
Mein neger...
youtu.be/Ob0Ta49vx5o

>How often should that be done for maximal benefit?
Depends how good you want to get at throwing people. If you're doing BJJ more than 3 times a week, then maybe twice a week for judo?

>Would an hour of decently paced (not too fast) cycling be enough as cardio? I have to cycle to get to uni 4x a week, but at a pace where I don't sweat too much.

An hour a day would be good if you can manage it. But running for half that time would be more beneficial. If you had access to a gym, the rowing machine is king of cardio for grapplers.

>Also, what routine is advisable?

What kind of routine would you want? If you want to lift and do some strength training and haven't used weights before, look up a beginners strength program.

I got to 1.5/2.25/4/5 5RM before stopping for a time, but I can easily rep 1/2/3/4 within a week or two of starting up again. I heard good things about Westside for Skinny Bastards and the Fighter Template of Tactical Barbell. Any experience with those?

My problem is time, as I will be very busy the coming few months. I want to get as much BJJ in as possible (4x preferably), and I have a salsa class with the gf, so I have about 2 days of doing non-BJJ sport things. I just want to use those as well as possible for BJJ purposes.
Any advice for my situation?

>I'm too cool for all that grappling shit, I want to be bad ass
>I'm considering tae kwon do and kung fu

fucking lmao

Why are you acting like being able to win a fight and being able to move heavy shit are mutually exclusive? You posted a video of a guy with boxing training fighting a guy without boxing training.

bump

I'd still recommend Judo if you're able to fit it in.

I haven't tried them out to be honest, I mainly just follow my own programme, I'm at a similar strength level to where you were previously (only my deadlift is stronger), and I've done that through prioritising one compound lift a session, and work on accessories around it. I mainly skip for cardio endurance, and row sets of 250m as fast as I can with minimal rest to really get the lungs going.

how to get sparring partners that actually "fight" me

check usa boxing for gyms with certified usa boxing coaches, you see a boxing gym is usa boxing certified it means they are actually churning out boxers to compete in the amateur and even pro boxing scene

Go to a gym that trains fighters?

So optimally, it'd be something like 4x BJJ, 1-2x judo? Apparently there is some cross-training with judo guys at the BJJ school, as they help with some throws and such. Would 1-2x a week of judo help? And how likely is brain damage from judo?

I've been practicing and competing in Judo for 10 years and I haven't suffered a single head injury yet.

I think that would be a good schedule.

thinking about getting into muay thai for cardio

i have longass arms/legs and am ottermode. I feel like it'd be great to learn how to throw some kicks while staying conditioned/cut

What If I'm a Canadian? Is there a canuck alternative?

Joined the gym you describe a few months ago. Really close community, very welcoming to new people. Got trained for a while by a toothless old man who claims to have invented the hanging wall-mounted heavy bag (literally just a heavy bag attached to the wall). Great training, you can tell he's an old pro, and there are like half a dozen other older guys who take fighters are various levels of progression and train them intermittently. You can also just work out on your own if you want. No qualms about boxercise or whatever. If you just want a good workout, you'll get it. If you want to spar, you can do that too, once you're ready.

Community is great, spics and nigs and whites all working out together in a really hot space (third floor of a 19th century factory building - it's like 90 degrees in the summer). Run by a guy and his sister. Occasionally you get professionals coming through to spar with each other, and Boo Boo Andrade himself comes through every now and again to work out (it's his home gym).

Don't be afraid user. I was just like you. A terrified white guy who wanted to join a gym to get into shape and not pay a fortune. Just go in and check it out.

idk. what is the governing body for boxing in Canada?

i found my place on usa boxing, maybe try entering a Canadian location just to see what happens

teamusa.org/usa-boxing/membership/find-a-club

Working on fitting in lifting with getting back into muay thai. Thinking of 3x a week gym (on 5/3/1), 3x a week train/cardio, 1 doing fuck all. provided I'm smart about nutrition and rest, could this feasibly work?

Just try it and find out.

Can you stop spamming this comment in every single martial arts thread

Anyone have the info graph with the east/west, striking/grappling graph?

Attached: 1566421521974.jpg (800x800, 107K)

You still in this thread? What's boo boo like? Think he beats Canelo?

Thnx mane

What is the best martial art for a weight lifter to get into who doesn't want to dedicate his whole life to it but just wants enough combat experience to protect himself and loved ones from average thugs?