Smoker Lungs

How long does it take after quitting for your lungs to turn pink again if they ever do ?

Attached: SmokerLady.gif (440x248, 1.02M)

They will never be like before. Lungs can’t clean/heal themselves that much but with little training, you can give them the capacity they used to have.

15 years so they say.

It's the effect on the brain that's actually horrifying.

Bumping this because i want expanded info on this when i get home this eve. I'm not op, but i quit smoking a few years ago

I think of it as lung tattooing. They still work fine just a bit more alpha.

We all slowly have reduced lung function as we age (from 21 for women and 25 for men)
Smoking accelerates the rate of decline of lung function
Stopping smoking just stops that accelerated decline, so that your lung function declines at the same rate as non-smokers
You don't ever regain lung function. Most people don't know this.

I don't know about color changes with smoking, but I know that pretty much anyone who lives in a city will have spots of carbon in their lungs. They cannot be broken down by the phagocytic alveolar macrophages (like a tattoo).

Attached: graph.png (731x417, 61K)

I actually coughed up a giant solid black tar loogie this morning. Freaked me out but then I realized "this is bad shit coming OUT" and my breathing does feel a little clearer. I smoked cigs for 2 years, 5 years ago, had a few since but less than 2 packs. Been vaping, I do smoke weed, but again, the stuff is coming out and I've been feeling progressively better not worse.

That's not true, see my post

Man I quit smoking in 2005 when I smoked I was 120lb at 5'9" never ate and all of my joints popped I also could not process information mentally and was covered with brain fog. Smoking was devastating on my body
I decided one day I was tired of looking like a dying AIDS patient and figured every time I wanted a cigarette I would drop and do pushups. Well if you do enough and get out of breath you no longer want a cigarette

Also pink lung people don't have that extra buffer filter of toxic shit to help them when they're actually around toxic shit. Just blow a cigarette in their face.

I worked with a classically trained singer. He did vocal exercises every day and had very healthy lungs. At 60 he had a stroke. Apparently strokes hit your lungs first and because his were so healthy his brain was unnaffected.

I heard you start coughing after you quit smoking because the cilia that line your respiratory tract (and are paralyzed by cigarette smoke) become active again and start beating mucus out of your lungs

wh0a that's pretty cool

Couching up slime all the time is not my idea of cool

couple of years

the level of medical knowledge in this thread (on this board?) is abysmal. I get that half of you are joking but c'mon
by definition a stroke is a pathological process involving the blood vessels of the brain. I'm guessing you mean he had a pulmonary embolus? As in a blood clot lodged in the blood vessels of his lungs? Thromboemboli coming from a DVT (i.e. a blood clot in your leg) travel back to the heart via the venous circulation and lodge in the blood vessels of the lung through the right side of the heart. But these 'blood clots' can't reach your brain to cause a stroke. AND pulmonary emboli are usually asymptomatic anyway. Strokes are usually caused by thrombi coming from the left side of the heart and lodging in blood vessels in the brain, or atherosclerotic plaques already in blood vessels in or near the brain. Plus that's not the only type of stroke = intracranial bleeds count as strokes also, "hemorrhagic stroke"

Every ball you cough up physically feels awesome
Idk, sounds right, me personally my body's ability to process toxins is horrifying. I shouldve died 5 times over by now with the dumb shit I've done. Once drank a liter of vodka in one day with no tolerance, no hangover or anything the next day, didn't vomit at all. That freaked me the fuck out.

I think I had a heat stroke once? Was outside smoking a J, it was hot as fuck, I put my head down for a second, next thing I know I'm struggling to stand up to vomit, then I'm on the ground, then my friend is shaking me awake. Had major sunburn. It felt weird. Felt like my brain got clogged for a second.

>you don't ever regain lung function
So when a sedentary person starts training cardio, let's say jogging or biking, they don't improve their lung function? They only get other types of adaptation?

Had a spontaneous pneumo once. Hurt like a bitch. BUT the sensation of the pain fading away when it was over was BLISS

they improve their aerobic fitness - which is through a lot of different processes - but the main one is how easily the skeletal muscles can take up glucose from the blood (I think) - which improves their FO2max and their functional capacity. But actual lung function (FEV1 and FVC) as measured on spirometry doesn't change I THINK. I'm not really sure, I'm not a doctor. You see the point I was trying to make though right? that graph is demonstrating the pathogenesis of COPD

Probably just low blood pressure, chief. I'd get that if I smoked a cig after drinking heavily the night before. I quit doing both.

Shiiiiiit, what is it?

I know I have some permanent effects as an ex-smoker. To a never-smoker, a cig is no big deal, but if I were to have one I'd be dizzy and get an awful headache.

'bout tree-fiddy

Lungs are never pink in 99,99% of people. Non smokers have grey lungs

t. assistant forensic pathologist

So much bs. The lung is capable of healing somewhat fast. Fast cell turnover rates compared many other celltypes. Yes they will never be perfect but my guess is up to ~3 months.

I worked in mining and smoked for 12 years.

Then I got my sanity back and rejoined the surface dwellers.

Attached: 60970599_636288110168945_5184011554743386112_n.jpg (540x521, 33K)

I gotta say, my lungs are absolutely huge. Being a failed brass player and amateur runner, nearly noone else is on my level. Good luck even trying.

did you though you fucking idiot

No, silly, this wasn't head rush. Good random ass guess though.

>be me
>17
>live at 5,000ft
>wrestle
>running 6 mile loop is routine
>sometimes 10 or 12
>tweak back
>get X-rays
>qt nurse:
>OMG
>I've never seen lungs so long
Good feels brehs

Hey you have some sexy lungs, wanna hang out some time bud.

Rest of the story
>bet you could inhale a lot of braaps
>"Never left a molecule hanging."
>We'll see about that
I sniffed her for days, we didn't even leave the bedroom. I had her do blood tests before I left. Test was 2,500ng/dl.

FEV1 refers to the expiratory volume in one second and FVC is the total lung capacity. Unless you have asthma, bronchitis, or pulmonary oedema these aren't going to be the things limiting your VO2Max - what does improve it as this user says is through increased stroke volume from the heart (blood per beat), DL(CO) (diffusion rate across the lungs which can be trained), and capillary density in muscles which can increase. Ox-phos (glucose using) has a minor effect on it as the demand normally isn't the limiting factor

He is probably referring to some receptor related issues, but I think they will attain their ground state faster than lungs does.

they never do, get fucked smokerfag

>surface dwellers.
mate you're on 4channel

Your long don't turn black like that inside your body. Only once they've been taken out and let to sit for a while do they.

I did the same except i did 10 kegals. Must start doing them again

They're probably fine given smokers lung are as viable for transplant as normie lungs.

15 years

yes I smoked a pack a day from 16-21 and when I quit it was fucking armageddon. Was coughing up the nastiest shit for weeks and my throat/lungs were so sore it felt like bronchitis.