/sig/ - self improvement general

This thread endorses both physical and mental fitness in order to promote healthy living for everyone.

/sig/ Basics:
>YOU are 100% responsible for the way you experience life. Not your parents, not your surroundings, not your ex, not your bully, not your future spouse. YOU. Complete, sincere acceptance of this is the most fundamental step to bettering yourself, and it is by far the hardest thing you'll ever do.
>Work your way to becoming the best YOU you can be - one step at a time.
>Set realistic Goals and have a Plan. Use short-term Goals to keep yourself going.
>Learn helpful and effective daily/weekly/etc. routines, including mundane ones.
>Have a steady sleeping rhythm - one that works for you, so long as you keep to it. Get 6-11 hours of sleep. More Info: pastebin.com/h4CDDtKu
>Learn Mindfulnes Meditation. More Info: pastebin.com/0NMDEUNh
>Learn to be Brutally Honest with yourself. Stop being a slave to your Ego.
>Focus on the essentials. If you try to do everything at once, you’ll burnout.
>The best exercise regime is entirely up to what your goals are - Explain your goals and ask!

DISCORD: discord.gg/5MmuUDT Everyone is welcome

Resources:
>newarcitea.neocities.org/ - Overall Guide
>thework.com/ - "Simple" Mental Health self-help resource. You get out what you put in.

Books:
>s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=22578279902195591270 - Mortimer J. Adler, Charles Van Doren - How to Read a Book
>s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=01374239493824328035 - Sam Harris - Waking Up
>seinfeld.co/library/meditations.pdf Marcus Aurelius - Meditations
>misc.equanimity.info/downloads/mindfulness_in_plain_english.pdf - Henepola Gunaratana - Mindfulness in Plain English
>s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=93057425205857796418 - Dale Carnegie - How to Win Friends and Influence People

Attached: sig07.png (436x283, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!C7ZwlY4L!DP4JwX2dJWJdmjxbB7b7Lw
desuarchive.org/fit/search/text/This thread endorses both physical and mental fitness in order to promote healthy living for everyone./
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Attached: sigpaste0.jpg (1800x1162, 1.13M)

Attached: sigpaste01.png (880x6531, 1.2M)

A bold move user, fighting the good fight.
Anyway, what’s the best way to get to know your flat mates when moving in to uni? I move in on the 20th and want to be good mates with everyone I live with.

Asking for their name is a good start. Then just shoot the shit. Talk about moving into the flat and leaving whatever behind etc.

Thinking of walking in with 3 bottles of vodka, having everyone take 3 shots and then playing one of those shitty icebreakers like never have I ever except the gimmick is everyone’s 4 shots down and has no filter.

That seems a bit extreme to me but I'm way older. I'd rather go for some beers.

One of my shortcomings has always been my inability to swim. I can "float" and kind of swim, but its really slow and doesn't actually resemble swimming much.

Is there a Starting Strength style guide to learning to swim?

After I do my first half marathon in September I want to tackle learning to swim.

I would but I can’t fucking stand weaker alcoholic beverages. Beer is the worst. It’s like liquid shit to me, by the time I’ve had enough to get drunk I’ll have thrown up from the taste.

I thought I could swim until I had to do swim across a river. It didn't seem so far until I was halfway through and realized my breathing or whatever was fucked. So I rested and tried to swim back but my legs were jello.
The current was light but still didn't help.

Legitimately almost drowned, and legs collapsed when I got out. So yeah, learning to really swim is something everyone should do.

Would i be better off getting erections easier and stronger from no fap or by doing the angion method

Ask them about themselves until you find common ground.

Watch them for a while and notice the routine, and learn to adapt to it.

Offer to cook them dinner, or invite them hiking as a bonding activity.

There must be loads of guides, books, and videos out there. There’s most likely also adult swim classes if you’ve got a pool near you.

nice starting dubs
is that a guy doing crunches?

>maybe some user finds this helpful
mega.nz/#F!C7ZwlY4L!DP4JwX2dJWJdmjxbB7b7Lw

Any military anons here? I'm joining the air force. Big leap for me since I'm kind of an autistic pussy and even the most minute social interaction drains me, I've pretty much gone 3 years without talking to anyone at my job, but I've been getting better about it. Did you make friends in basic? My whole life it's been "You'll make friends in [x] school!" "You'll make friends in college!" "You'll make friends at work!" so I meet the idea of "You'll make friends in BMT!" with skepticism.

Either that or he is having an existential crisis. One of the dudes at Discord drew it and it's amazing.

I don't know what, if anything, I want to do besides BJJ. So far, my options are lifing, cardio, kickboxing, and nothing. My main goals are to get good at BJJ, have fun, and be healthy and happy in the short as well as the long term. What is the best route /SIG/?

How do i make it i dont exercise much but i want to start

Plan on doing pull ups push ups planks and situps also rope jumping

No gym in area

Attached: IMG_20190821_195629.png (649x927, 449K)

I believe there's something similar to C25k for swimming, like Couch to 1 Mile or something, google it

Ive really slipped backwards with procrastination and avoiding things I should be doing.

I was a time wasting, scared of failure manchild in my late teens/early twenties, and after getting my shit together for a few years I feel myself slipping back into old habits.. video games, mindless refreshing of Jow Forums..

What are some good resources/books for helping build routine and habits for chronic procrastinators?

>What are some good resources/books for helping build routine and habits for chronic procrastinators?

What you need is a goal in life you really really want to have / achieve / get to.
A real reason to jump out of the bed in the morning.
Something that drives you.

at some point in your journey you’re going to want to quit real bad and when that happens, dont.

You...

check out these calisthenics routines

Attached: 1535527465581.jpg (2481x6600, 1.79M)

Thank you OP for bringing this thread back. No more
>im a khv pls fit help me get a gf pls
We are here to make it.

Next week I'm planning to start a 2 week cocoon / monk mode. Do you guys have tips on how to face the situation? I need 2 weeks of intense productivity to work + study + workout.

Attached: 1555728431136.jpg (1900x1224, 748K)

and this

Attached: 1558639634752.jpg (3060x1628, 723K)

and that one

Attached: 1547900363976.jpg (3773x4000, 3.12M)

bump

I've been in the army for 9 years
> air force
> autistic pussy
You'll fit right in.
You'll make temporary friends in basic, but your real friends come from your unit, ESPECIALLY if you deploy. Those will be your lifelong friends who even after years of being out of touch you can text then and they will text you back. The camaraderie instilled through combat is something that all organizations strive for and none other than battle can achieve

Need /sig/'s evaluation here:

>Appointment with qt derm in a month
>She's removing a benign cyst on my scrotum
>After she's done: "I suppose this would be an absolutely horrendous time to ask you to dinner?"

I'm just looking for laughs and to practice being ballsy/socially confident; I'm not actually looking for a date and I know how much delivery is gonna matter. Is this a good idea or am I setting myself up for disaster?

Oh so from the start these ay

Ok once i can do progression go to the next one right?

4 times a week is good right?

Me?

But I dont drink user

>or am I setting myself up for disaster
even IF it will be a disaster, that's a story with balls of steel
nice

1 day full body one pause
which comes out as 4 times a week
start with what you are able to do and work on it till you can to 13-15 reps easily (for most exercises)

>suffer from extreme fatigue
>can't sit on my ass in front of the computer/tv for more than two hours max before I have to lie down
>am physically healthy and don't have any vitamin deficiencies
>doc tells me it's probably depression and politely tells me to fuck off
I've tried to stay active and I go for a walk every day, but the last week I've been so tired that I have trouble focusing my eyes when I go out. I've also blocked all negative shit on the internet and avoid the news and try to think about more positive things, but I'm not getting any better. What now? It will take me at least 6 months to see a mental health professional, and I will probably neck myself if I have to wait that long to get help.

I’ve been working out for some time now and am physically much more fit. Gained nearly 20 lbs. in mostly muscle. People I know are generous with compliments and acknowledgement.

I set out thinking this would really help me mentally. I’ve always struggled with anxiety and depression, with feeling like an actually functional human being. As a kid I thought this would go away with age, as a young adult I thought this would go away (in part) through physical self-betterment.

But it really hasn’t. Today was the first day of class and I nearly had a panic attack waiting for my turn to introduce myself to the class during a dreaded ice breaker session. I know I’m just venting here but I’m hoping some of y’all may have some advice for me.

I've been friends with this girl for a few months now. I have no interest in her but being friends with her has opened my eyes to how desperate guys are. She is fat as hell, drinks constantly yet is always going on dates. Men buying her clothes, tickets to shows and other shit. She just drops these dudes after she finds out they want some sort of commitment. Talking to her and hanging out with her is bringing me down these days. She doesn't see what she is doing because there is another guy ready to spend money on her. I feel like I need to drop her as a friend.

don't come off as overly eager or do something so drastic like that
just relax and don't force it all at once, make it a gradual process and do NOT act like one of those "How to Win Friends and Influence People" types, most people see that as really fake

I changed drastically too to the point that I get treaded chad like (among nerds, sexy cosplayer and way better when encountering normies)

But still, in my mind I am the scrawny shy idiot no one likes.
It really fucks if you behave totally different than you look.
At least I learned to acknowledge it and act accordingly. Except when I have to present something, fuck me....

Don't worry user, you can do it.

Also, don't spend money of women you guys.

Is this a copypasta or did you write this?

it is the /sig/ OP

desuarchive.org/fit/search/text/This thread endorses both physical and mental fitness in order to promote healthy living for everyone./

Ah well it’s a 10/10 life philosophy. I’m constantly frustrated by by lack of ownership and responsibility the people around me have over their lives. Would definitely have a beer with anyone who thinks like this.

>24 years old
>earn decent living, work 9-6 mon-fri
>been working out 3 times a week since end of June, seeing nice, inspiring results
>have loving gf
>I have friends but no hobbies

how do I get hobbies, bros? usually I'll play vidya with friends but its not exactly a hobby, more of a pastime...I feel like I don't have a whole lot of interests or passions and don't know what to do.

Try out new things, hobbies are not something that should be forced, but something you enjoy. Just find some time to try different things and eventually you'll find something cool enough to do.

seconding this, I just hopped off vidya and need more hobbies that make me an interesting person

So far I have:

>Kinos
>Cooking
>Reading
>Urban exploration
>Fashion

What else is there?

Bring yourself to the point where you made it and you can help other people
form a group, form a community, bring /sig/ to the real life and help those who are open for that but need a guidiance

learn how to plant and grow stuff (this one is great)
learn how to create stuff, be at in art, music, craftmanship, cooking....

Look up classes in your area(martial arts, CrossFit, sports clubs, rock climbing, bird watching etc and do some research on different things(no more than an hour don’t let yourself use information to procrastinate) and sign up for something. You’ll make friends and learn a hobby. Personally I recommend something extremely physically demanding like BJJ or CrossFit since suffering and overcoming hardship together forms close bonds extremely quickly.

Jannies pls keep /sig/

thanks bros. I've been meaning to check out some forms of martial arts for years now. I'm going to look at some gyms/dojos tonight and weave classes in between my lifting days.

Find one and pay for it yourself

Good luck user. Someone will probably disagree with me but in my experience martial arts that are more combat oriented with a lot of hard sparring early on and lots of conditioning have tighter communities than more traditional martial arts where everyone just goes through motions and practice katas for an hour.

Any ex drug addicts? My self improvement needs to be focused on recovering from my past drug addiction. 1 month clean now trying to reboot my life.
My brain chemistry is messed up I think working out will help fix it

I'm an alcoholic but I haven't drank in about a week. I know what you mean about brain chemistry, everything feels surreal and dreadful.

>natsoc general

fuck off back to r9k and adv you mentally retardd faggots

People trying to improve their lives
>Mentally retardd
Fuck off discordtranny I'm surprised you actually managed to spell "faggots" correct

>correct
its correctly you beta retard. adn Jow Forums isnt for mental health threads. and this is a mental health thread; read the rules incel

Do it, you’re unlikely to ever see her again anyway so why not

DO NOT engange with trolls and de-railers

How do I make friends in uni? I had a bunch of friends in uni but I'm switching majors and I'm going to get an adjusted program which causes me to be in classes with freshmen and softmores. I don't get to are people in either group a lot because of this and all my friends are doing residencies so I don't see them all that often. My uni is pretty small so there aren't a lot of clubs to join that interest me

Lads if a girl you’ve been for drinks with a few times (but without it ever being clear if it’s a date) is sending you a present (without you even sending her anything or there being any special occasion), should you wait to see what the present is before asking her out/straight up telling her you like her? I feel like the present is going to be a better indicator of how she feels but I’m worried about missing my chance. More generally, how do I stop overthinking things like this? It’s a major issue of mine.

What sort of clubs are there? Is there any scope to forming your own clubs? You could form a club around something that interests you (and that you think might interest others) and meet people that way?