Hey Jow Forums what you guys think of 5/3/1? I love and change variations of it about every 3 months

Hey Jow Forums what you guys think of 5/3/1? I love and change variations of it about every 3 months.
>in fall I do body weight, cause I have my pt test for the military every year
>in winter I do the BBB 3 month challenge for size
>in spring I do simple strength, for straight up gaining on 1RMs, plus add jokers and FSL
>in summer, beach body challenge all the way

Attached: C3C70CC5-3A8D-45F5-91C5-BF609B7FBB6A.jpg (620x349, 109K)

5/3/1 is shit. You'll ending up undertraining because the volume is shit, unless you're a beginner in which case anything works
>muh joker sets and shit
Just a band aid to the problem

>t. has never read the book
Post body retard

If it's working then keep doing it, don't listen to these faggots most of them have barely stepped into the gym

I just find it amazing that nobody on the internet can follow it correctly. You always see people asking if they can "add accessories" to BBB which immediately shows they have no idea what it is. Then fucking Reddit, which sucks 5/3/1's dick every day for free, make these spreadsheets for 5/3/1 that have no mention of FSL, joker sets, no accessories and so on and it's just amazing. It's the "nobody actually reading SS problem" times a million.

Wendler is not a good writer though. he has never given a clear answer to people confused whether they're supposed to do all the push, pull, leg accessories in one day or match it up. He just tells them to "read it again" which leads to the "no volume" problem again.

And I don't even do 5/3/1.

I don't give a shit. It doesn't work beyond the beginner stage, and I guarantee with 100% certainty that if it works for you, there's at least 5 other programs that would work more efficiently

>5 other programs
Name them then

Are you a beginner, intermediate or advanced?

YNDTP

Bench 100x8kg
Squat 140x8
Dead 160x6

were my best last 531 cycle at 5'10 80kg
Intermediate?

Yes, that sound's intermediate. What are you goals? Size or strength? How dedicated are you to training?

>tell me what i should google for an answer.

Both. Want to reach 85kg and get a 3pl8 bench. Yeah 4 days week.

He asked for a program, how do I know what to give him if I don't know what he wants to achieve?
Then 3day TM, 4 day TM upper/lower, Madcow, HLM, or a BBM routine would work best

>in spring I do simple strength, for straight up gaining on 1RMs, plus add jokers and FSL

i've been running this plus a row variation and chins for years now

Attached: 5d6d41ffb29196d1ac010b4a3b665fd99ae2f471.jpg (300x218, 18K)

Post body

>shits on 531
>posts rippletits circle jerk
K E K

Yikee

I prefer other training these days but had great success with Boring but Big for like 2 months. Def would recommend his latest book for most anyone wanting a good general strength and hypertrophy base.

Unga bunga 531 has bad volume even though you push volume literally every day

It works

i didn't know Alvin Paul browsed fit

Post body

Didn't he change his approach to jokers, and FSL in Forever as in people tend to overdo them and you shouldn't use them both in the same workout?

4 day TM is basically 5/3/1

5/3/1 is based for intermediates and beyond. You have to be patient as hell but that's not the program, just part of being far along your curve.

Very few on Jow Forums need 5/3/1.

Attached: 1568066207379.jpg (600x2727, 531K)

Most of the 5/3/1 programs are shit.
I would only recommend for gde's and beat up lifters and athletes who are washed up and can't handle any significant volume within the 70-85 % rep range
I have seen some good templates like day 1 being a 3x5 dat, day 2 can be 3x3 and day 4 being 5/3/1.
First set last is pretty good too.
Compared to phul and h-l-m for the 'general strength' crowd it is inferior.
For powerlifting it is phraks teir bad.

531 is essentially periodization in a monthly setting. It's no different than other intermediate programs. What it lacks though are sufficient intensities to trigger adaptation which it tries to make up for various, creative dropset styles. You can just hop on a simple periodization pyramid and use your real max instead of a "training max".

I don't want to open it up again but I remember this for sure. FSL is mandatory in any program that doesn't already do it. For example BBB already does it with the 5x10 sets. The joker set is not mandatory and it's just an option for you to do something fun if you have enough energy for it. Like going for a rep pr or practicing a heavy single.

But yeah if you want to do 5/3/1 definitely get the PDF to Forever. That's the most up to date one.

Just do 5th Set instead

No, this is the second time I've heard this retarded take and it's not even close. The most popular 4day TM is upper/lower, which is not 5/3/1. Second of all the rep schemes and progression aren't similar at all. Just because one 4 day TM has you doing a workout which exercise selection looks similar to 5/3/1 does not mean they're even close you fucking retard

I did 5/3/1 and my bench press max steadily went down by 2kg each week for 6 weeks.

Attached: Unknown.jpg (308x164, 10K)