/mag/ - Martial Arts General

judo CHOP edition

Attached: E29C92ED-C8AA-4B9C-868E-7D2B1A6BC099.gif (500x213, 990K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xsH-kicyMzQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

My agency has a Defensive tactics coordinator who is a fucking joke. The dude still teaches karate moves, and aikido type bullshit.

How do I convince him that his methods are outdated and superior methodologies exists?
Ie. Boxing headmovement, BJJ, judo throws etc.

>inb4 challenge him to a fight, I obviously cannot do that.

I want to do BJJ but I have a bad ankle/foot so striking with that foot or grappling (should someone get a hold of it) would be immensely dangerous/painful. Is this something I can pursue and just let my instructor/peers know my limitations? Seems to defeat the purpose but I'm trying to see what my options are. Another style?

Spar him, or have him spar a competent martial artist if you lack the skill.

By the way, don't underestimate how useful some of the outdated stuff is for restraining people - the problem is generally that it needs a better framework than it currently has ie. a martial art that encourages sparring.

What's wrong with your foot?
If it can be mitigated, wear a brace/bandage to make it clear it's injured, tell people to not mess with your foot, be cautious and try it.

Boxing, MT or MMA?
I wanna get back into fighting like 10 years ago (mostly done MT, Judo and Kickboxing) but can't really decide. Which is the best one for a 30 year old boomer?
Should I just try all 3 a few times and then decide?

try out all gyms in your area and pick the one, where you had most fun.
If you want to compete, go to the gym with the most successful active fighters.

>Should I just try all 3 a few times and then decide?
Yes

who was in the wrong here?
youtu.be/xsH-kicyMzQ

Attached: Screenshot_20190910-024256_YouTube.jpg (1080x1920, 708K)

all the MAs i want to amateurishly compete in are completely irrelevant in the states
guess i just gotta learn em all and go for mma

Attached: DC66E6D9-0D74-4C14-8878-A0B3816B38E5.png (261x215, 19K)

wut? Aren't the states full of comps for Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay-Thai, Judo and Jiu-Jitsu? You guys even have circle for Sambo and Catch Wrestling. What the fuck do you want to learn?

should have clarified in my state

which MA do you want to learn?

>do BJJ for a year
>like it but never quite click with it
>end up blowing out my knee twice (old injury), have to stop
>want to do some MA but afraid to risk the knee

What else can I do

do boxing

>haven't gone to boxing in 2 weeks due to Uni exams and dog having surgery
I JUST WANNA GO BACK TO SPARRING

Attached: 062.jpg (603x550, 29K)

New to boxing and cardio, conditioning is dog shit. When I lose my breath for real the first time I can never really get it back for the rest of the session, no amount of resting/drinking water really brings it back (or I get 5s after resting for two minutes). how do I work on this outside of "box more"? I only have classes twice a week and I'd like to make the most out of my non-class time to improve asap

Wrestling vs BJJ vs Judo
Pick one

wreslin

roadwork

how 2 acquire /mag/ gf

Attached: X3DKg.gif (300x169, 1.89M)

shadowbox
jogging if you're not overweight nor a boomer
sprinting
wrestling

Kickboxing in 1 hour
Second class
These guys are autistic as fuck, i can't even get a conversation with anyone but boomers
What now

>Decided to try BJJ
>2nd class
>They match me up with some white belt that's literally 350+ lbs
>Couldn't practice my technique because i don't have the mobility to manoveur myself around someone literally over twice my size
>He literally crushes my shit
>He doesn't know what he's doing so he just flails around with his enormous mass
>He drips sweat on me

>3rd class
>Some fuckhead blue belt holds submissions far too long
>Hurts my shoulder

Never went back. Fuck that shit. I need a club that isn't filled with fucking faggots.

Today is judo day. Woo.

>He drips sweat on me
Not a fatass but i'm guilty of that
Some people just fucking sweat man, move on

This sounds like your fault though.
A big part of any grappling sport is dealing with discomfort, and working around someone that much larger is a part of that. I roll with people that large about once every other week and it's good practice because trying anything on them is much more difficult and the discomfort from their pressure gets you vaccinated against top pressure from smaller opponents.
As for the submissions with the blue belt, why didn't you speak up? You are responsible for your own safety and if something is too hard or held too long, you need to let the other person know.

Is it too late to start wrestling at 20 years old? There’s a wrestling club at my college that’s open to beginners but it’s mostly full of experienced dudes. I love the sport but if I want to compete should I stay or should I go?

>This sounds like your fault though.
HOW? I'm a fresh beginner, why would I get put up against someone 1) Not only who doesn't know anything (just like myself), thus increasing risk of injury etc and 2) So much larger than me?

I could understand if I had been training for a while, I would know what to do... but if I'm brand new what's the point? Seems highly irresponsible. I barely have the mobility - coordination to do the drills and shit on a normal-sized human, I don't quite have the mobility to maneuver myself around an enormous landmass.

Just go for slow and long run

hey guys, want to do some MA because i think doing cardio on treadmills suck, should i do muay thai if i have fat thighs and a really shit kick ?

Weak minded.

Boxing may be possible, but any grappling sparring has a high chance of hurting your foot. You can't avoid putting preassure on your foot in BJJ, it's gonna happen in sparring eventually

No it's fucked up to do that to a beginner. Great way to make sure they quit and never return.

What could I possibly stand to gain from practicing with someone untrained 2x+ larger than myself. They won't teach me good technique, they won't teach me anything except how much stress my bones can take. They'll literally just push me around due to their sheer weight, so they won't learn anything either.

Did you tap when the bluebelt hurt your shoulder?

Ok quit then.

Yes I tapped and he held it longer, just wanted to show off I guess since he probably got his ass kicked regularly by other blue+ belts and now a newbie is here so time to show his who's the big bad boss.

I'll just sign up to a club where they actually take time to teach beginners instead of throwing them into the water and saying "Okay figure it out yourself"

Yeah that's kinda fucked up. But it still depends on you if you want to work through the obstacles or just quit. There probably is a better bjj club somewhere though, won't hurt to look out for other options

Hopefully they will teach you humility and how to be humble.

Is it worth doing Muay Thai for striking and combat Sambo for grappling or should I just stick with one? I want a broad skill set.

If he held it longer after the tap you should tell the instructor. That's super fucked up and almost every BJJ practitioner agrees that the tap has to be respected. The thing with throwing new guys in the water is kinda common in bjj places though. Its a bit like a shit test if you really want to learn

Dude you have a fucking combat sambo gym? Drop everything and go to that one everyday. It teaches you striking, throws, submissions, and grappling. You will be a complete fighter.

thats why its called mma

Sometimes the world isn't out to get you dude, it's just the way the chips fall. Try not to take everything personally. The coach prob just paired people up without thinking, he's got to manage an entire class. The blue belt kid probably got excited since you were spazzing during the roll. You have got to get a fighter's mindset of you want to be a fighter. Good luck

There wasn't a whole lot of people at that particularly classtime. It clearly shows a lack of care or interest in teaching beginners and shows a total disregard for my risk of getting injured (for both the fat white belt and blue belt).

I'm going to be signing up to the nearby No-Gi focused club when I move soon.

Lol at the breaking bad shirt guy

well I am Russian so I know the good ones in the area (LA). Is the striking really better than muay thai though?

>should i do muay thai
yes
boxing, kickboxing, wrestling or bjj are also cool

By stopping being a bitch user.

Want submissions only and poor standup? Bjj
Want good standup and pins but no subs? Wrestling
Want throws and pins and subs? Judo, it's a good intermediate between the two. Just remember to wrestle at least once a week to keep your sprawls sharp, or have your judo instructor have a wrestling background (if you're in the US, virtually all of our reputable coaches have wrestling backgrounds)

How can I make sure that people at my jitz gym don't have aids before I roll with them?

By beating her in a sword fight to death.

let them fuck you in the ass and then take a test

Is kendo Jow Forums?

You are a faggot

That guy is right. Original user is a pussy and not meant for combat sports.

Join

We do. I do know Florida has a decent sized judo or BJJ comp every 2-3 months, but you'll have to drive 2-3 hours to get there.

If you can only do two, striking + judo. If you got time for 3 striking + wrestling+BJJ. Judo can give you enough standup to avoid going to the ground for a BJJ guy and gives you a bit of groundwork to deal with a wrestler in many cases.
But there's a reason the dominant style in MMA is wrestler who started doing BJJ.

All this being said a good grappler beats a mediocre grappler, doesnt matter what sport.

Go and get your ass kicked. Either you'll get up and learn or you'll quit

>where they actually take time to teach beginners instead of throwing them into the water and saying "Okay figure it out yourself"
That's alot of clubs though. Do you know how many fucking beginners a martial arts club goes through? The BJJ club at my uni got like 50 members this semester, and we have a small wrestling mat. Hell the judo guys are also so crowded they're having people crash into each other practicing ukemi.

very bad post

I'm going to my first bjj session tonight. What should I be looking forward to?

getting choked by daddy and getting all sweaty with them thicc bois

>I'll just sign up to a club where they actually take time to teach beginners instead of throwing them into the water and saying "Okay figure it out yourself"

That's basically bjjs teaching style . You should probably pick something else

>behold the bjj mindset
Fag

Pussy

Do any of you guys run weightlifting with your training schedules? My martial arts instructor thinks people who lift weights are only narcissists, lol, but I'd like to do a routine that can help compliment the style.

tactical barbell fighter template

Do you recommend the conditioning book too?

>only lifting twice a week

Twice a week. Westside for skinny bastard on season training template

Update
It was fun as fuck
I made a sparring friend

You have something that measures your pulse during exercise, like a chest strap?

Austin Powers was so fucking based. We should delete the years from 2000 to 2019 but keep the 3rd movie. I have a feeling after the 20s race war life is gonna be pretty based again

bros what MA can I practice alone at home?

I don't, why? any particular reason?

I only have one lung, what martial art can I do?

Judo is very specialized and only allows for trips and upper body takedowns. Also, the ground game of judokas is abysmal. As a blue belt in BJJ, I have regularly tapped out black belt judokas. If you can a oid the throw and take it to the ground, they're clueless compared to even lower level BJJ guys.
Any BJJ school worth going to will also teach wrestling.

None well, any of them badly.

Tbf, a blue belt can be doing BJJ for 4-5 years, but a black belt in judo only takes 5 years to get.

Bjj with takedowns
IE Bjj 3-5 times a week and wrestling 1-2

>judo
kek

Attached: judo.gif (320x172, 1.45M)

I want to become as good as possible in BJJ. Should I spend 100% of my time and energy on the mats or should I also focus on strength or cardio?

>It's the guy who got cucked by some judo dude again
Dude she was a slut, move on.

i've been to bjj class two times now.
we did this thing where we grab the top of the gi by the chest and pull eachother down to the ground by turning around. i tried this with some kid half my age and yeeted him around the mat, i felt bad but he said it was fine.

this gigantic slab of a man covered in tattoos showed me how to choke and stuff and holy shit, this dude had me in his choke and wow a proper choke is really something special. at the time i didnt really think much about it and laughed and had a good time getting choked and trying to choke back.

for real, after the thing i couldn't stop thinking that this guy that had me choked literally could have ended my life that day if he wanted. it makes me nervous to think about.

is this normal, im looking for my balls and i cant find them.

Sounds like you're a basedboi with a rape fantasy

Attached: judo for self defense.jpg (1200x675, 77K)

judo or jiu jitsu

mat time, 100%. nothing will get you better at rolling faster than rolling more

i guess thats why bjj has bj in the name

Look we know she hurt you, but you gotta move on man. This is not how you get over the bitch man.

>want to learn how to grab someones legs? not judo
there isn't a single thing you learn in judo that isn't taught better in a different grappling discipline

Attached: ippon.gif (540x300, 1.92M)

lolwut? blue belt is like 2 years homie

It's not gay at all, I swear

i do, but that's because i'm a narcissist, i do 5/3/1 building the monolith but with massively reduced volume on the accessories so i can still be aesthetic as fuck

i feel your pain

Attached: oh.webm (640x360, 2.99M)

imagine shitting on someone who was undefeated for 4 years for being a judoka

he won a 2v1, aint nothing wrong with him

easy to be undefeated vs cans

Attached: judo in the wild.gif (500x281, 1.77M)