Knees hurt. Keep going or rest?

Beginner here. I started SL about 3 weeks ago and it's been going fine, but I'm at about a 100lb squat and my fucking knees are killing me. I figured it was my form (I figured maybe I'm not pushing my knees out enough or something) and this sort of fixed it during the workout, but they're still killing me for the rest of the day. Do I reduce weight and pretend as if nothing happened, do nothing and power through, or take a break from squatting all together?

Attached: 1460623005667[1].png (1127x685, 37K)

Just stop youre probably fat, just do bodyweight or do 5x10 50lbs squats

I'm 5'8" and 160lbs

Are you making sure your knees are behind your toes when you hit below parallel?

Not even once. Is that bad?

That is retarded advice, Op don't listen to him. In a proper squat to depth your knees will very likely (depends on your proportions) go above / beyond your toes. Just film yourself from the side and make a Formcheck thread if you can't figure out what you're doing wrong

Yeah I suppose a video would have been a helpful thing to have here. I'll record one next time I squat and post it when I can.

I got on my phone and took this just for you OP, I know you’re gonna make it.

Attached: 884C48EF-2C07-4504-96BE-319ED34AA4F6.jpg (4032x3024, 1.79M)

What do you warm ups look like?

Switch to SS, SL is meme. 5x5 is waste of time when 3x5 is enough volume

>warmups
I have never warmed up before a workout, which I guess may also be an issue. There's probably a ton of shit I'm doing wrong that I'm just not even aware of.

As for switching to SS, is there any reason SL is a meme? I can't do unassisted dips or chinups (although I am much better at dips than chinups), and so I figured SL was better for me. What is the real difference between the two?

Attached: CA5464E1-4DAD-4C27-A86C-187A1D6C8498.jpg (2956x3938, 2.22M)

Warmup then you brainlet
2 x 5 with the bar
Set of 3
Set of 2
Set of 1
Work sets
Adjust accordingly

I guess I don't mean switch to SS. Just do 3x5 instead of 5x5, it's more sustainable for a longer time. Bigger numbers, less time in the gym. You can keep doing your dippies

Drive the weight through your heals and not your toes

Ah I see what you mean. I guess I was already doing 1x5 at about 50% of the weight for my work sets as a warmup. More warmup sounds good though. I'll try it out.

don't push past knee pain. big mistake.

just let it pass and keep going after they feel fine, should only take a few days.

What is the name of that book? Looks very intriguing to me

Hope it goes well

It's Starting Strength

Good idea. You could also increase the rep range to ~12 in order to relearn form and get closer to strength failure without breaking your form (because you need to get out of the bottom position on like your 5th rep)

Warmups will also increase the amount you can lift on your work sets. That’s the best reason besides injury to not skip them.

Watch Alan Thrall's videos on squad technique, drop weight in order to focus on form for a day, and then just do higher volume with lower reps until you get your form right and aren't having knee pain.

Also depends how old you are/how many miles you have on your body. If you're 18 then you shouldn't be having any knee pain at all. If you're 35 and have been in the military, played sports, done lots of manual labor, and have extensive injury history, then some knee pain/soreness is to be expected.

See what i'm saying? No two people are the same and without knowing your exact situation, squat technique, etc... i can't give you 100% accurate advice. I'm going to assume since you're only squatting 100 lb you're a teenager with no history of physical exercise, so that's why i give my initial advice of focusing on form & dropping weight. But there's no way to know without more info.

I'm a 23 y.o. grad student and basically a beginner when it comes to physical activity. I've been lifting very casually for about 3 years and I decided it was time to take it more seriously. I do go rock climbing about 3 times a week, which I've been doing for about a year, but I don't really think that should be contributing to knee pain at all. Don't know if any of this helps you give more specific advice, but thanks for the video reference.

Yeah i would follow my initial advice. Really focus on your form. Try different positions of feet width & how you angle your toes to find something that's comfortable for you. A lot of it has to do with the physical anatomy of your hips. Once again, no two people are the same. Find out what depth is comfortable for you as well. Not everybody can comfortably & safely go ass to grass. As long as you break parallel, your balance is in the center of your foot, and you're not rounding your back, find what works for you within those limitations.

I can't stress this enough though: Watch & rewatch Alan Thrall's videos. I've seen a million videos about squat technique because i was once in the same positions as you, and none are better than his.

Good luck brah.