/mag/ - Martial Arts General

>you're a real man and not a weakling coward relying on guns, right user?

Attached: mag.jpg (800x800, 452K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jiujitsutimes.com/jiu-jitsu-instructor-killed-trying-to-disarm-a-robber-on-a-bus/
youtu.be/fMCfzfXm9vQ
amazon.com/Your-Jiu-Jitsu-Gear-Brazilian/dp/B075WYQJ63
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Implying you shouldnt strive to master both

NGMI

>not relying on runs
Can't beat me, if you can't catch me faggot.

>jiujitsutimes.com/jiu-jitsu-instructor-killed-trying-to-disarm-a-robber-on-a-bus/

That's stupid, unless some fucko plans on killing you anyway you should never try to fight some inbred retard with a gun over fucking money or a phone

>words
>fists
>knives
>stick
Order of escalation going from least to most dangerous.

Sup dudes I've just started BJJ but can only train it twice a week due to my schedule. Can I improve at a good rate with only 2 hours a week on the mats? I'm in peak physical condition, strong lifts and lean body. I will also be making notes after each class what I needed to work on and what worked well, and watching videos on those areas.

You'll have a good physical advantage against similar skilled belts. But with only 2 hours per week you progress will be slow. Live rolling will help you more than watching vids but those will help

>2 hours per week progress will be slow
Feck. Would adding in another session (3 hours total) be really beneficial then? I could probably squeeze one in if I really tried

If you can squeeze it in then do it, if you can't then don't. No need to pressure yourself into going to more classes. Main thing is having fun with what your doing

What's the best striking martial art for a 5'5" manlet? My, err, friend wants to know.

Wii Boxing

Thanks senpai

This karate place in my town has a sign that says adult kick boxing 20 dollars a month. Y’all think that’s a good deal?

If it isn't a Mcdojo then sure go ahead

Yeah you might make blue belt in 4-5 years with that

What’s a mcdojo? I think it might be one of those. It’s on Main Street beside a bojangles and I think is mostly karate for kids

Purely mathematically it would be 50% faster with assumptions. If you supplement with 1-2 week training camps every summer you can make pretty good progress.

Basically a fake martial arts school that rips you off. 20 dollars is actually pretty cheap for a month but you can never be sure untill you try it

whats the belt color means in bjj? able to learn new moves or just formality?

Look it up. Sounds like a potential McDojo especially since it’s karate. Just go to an MMA gym like an adult.

Hard to explain but a blue belt is supposed to have learned most of the basics and can apply the techniques on resisting opponents.

Rank. Display what skill you have in a martial arts. White being the lowest and black being the highest.

Black isn’t the highest lol

Yeah but when you go into the red belt stuff it's more about what you have done for the BJJ community

It means your coach thinks you're good enough to wear that belt. Some schools allow you to learn leg locks after blue, maybe even later if they're retards.

Let's be real by the time you get a red belt you're gonna be worse than your black belt self in terms of skill.

Depends I don’t think anyone would argue that they also tend to be technically better but unlike judo, BJJ has never had actual concrete standards for these things

4-5 years wtf. So what is the average time to get be at blue belt level? You're telling me there are loads of guys who CONSISTENTLY train more than twice a week?

there are guys who train 5-7 times per week

Yeah but they're the minority. Your average joe cant do ANYTHING consistently never mind something like BJJ.

Average people train 1-3 times per week I'd say.

3 times per week and you should be blue in 2 years or so, black in 5ish..

Or your gym sucks ass

Go to competitions even if you suck ass

ok cool thanks boys that makes me feel better

so to learn some techniques you must ascended belt rank??

Jep. Kneebars and such are too dangerous to teach a white belt.

Depends on your school, but yes. At mine you can do everything at white belt as long as you're both not idiots.

How long does it take to get decent at boxing training twice a week?

oh i see, tahnks spoonfeeding me

Debating two different BJJ schools to go to:

One school is led by a 3rd degree black belt who trained with and obtained his belt from Saulo Ribeiro. He teaches Ribeiro Jiu-Jutsu.
Other dude is a 7th degree black belt but it's a 'normal' black belt, not given to him by a great like a Ribeiro or Gracie. He's a Blue Belt in Gracie Jiu-Jutsu specifically.

Both are equal distance away so I just want the best gym to learn so I can eventually compete in BJJ comps, and possibly MMA in the future once I start developing a striking base once I'm comfortable in grappling.

Attached: download.jpg (260x194, 7K)

The first one sounds the best. The 2nd one looks like a Mcdojo. The 7th degree black belt stuff sounds fishy

I will start boxing next week and have question for you anons... how do i incorporate lifting in? I will box once a week and fitness 2/week. Im considering Upper A Upper B and fuck legs mode. Anyone have similar experience? (Hard college so dont have time for more gym)

Attached: 9C32B31D-F71F-4171-8859-BB8E032CD390.jpg (720x400, 85K)

>black in 5ish
hahahahahhha

Imagine how good these threads could be if they weren't filled with sub 80 iq retards and muh style vs your style flamewars?

That's the time is usually takes for a fit healthy young man

I can really get a black belt in 5 years going twice a week? Well I'll be darned

This is bullshit and you don't know shit. In Japan for example judokas and not wrestlers are known to be very athletic because judo is much more popular there and talent pool for judo is bigger.

your gym is SHIT. 5 years is early purple belt at any real gym that doesn't just hand out promotions to keep people coming. I bet you get stripes once a month too lmao

People have done it in 5 years. But they went almost every day and even twice a day. Look at BJ Penn for example

Bj Penn won the mundials(most prestigious bjj tournament on the planet) after 3(THREE) years of training

>His biography on the UFC website expressed this accomplishment as "an astonishing achievement in a sport where it takes the average athlete ten years or more to reach black belt status.
his nickname is literally "The Prodigy." you are not bj penn, the other user is not bj penn and if your gym hands out promotion that quickly I guarantee your gym is garbage.

>his nickname is literally "The Prodigy." you are not bj penn, the other user is not bj penn
True, and to quote Joe Rogan
>he has amazing leg dexterity
>he can do things with his legs some people can't do with their arms

And BJ Penn allegedly lived in the gym. So no surprise he got it that quick.

Don't listen to Got my blue belt in under 2 years while going 2-3 times a week. It's more about how much focus and effort you put into those two classes. youtu.be/fMCfzfXm9vQ

His family is also loaded so he had no financial worries or responsibilities

Also this
He de facto bought the gym lol

Today is leg day at the gym. What are some good exercises to do to increase kicking power? No lunges since they fuck up my knees. Thanks.

What’s the best martial art for a coomer

Attached: 07947BC3-4AD8-4450-814C-63A8D030E509.jpg (382x383, 19K)

bjj and wrestling

Martial artists who talk about their art being "real" self-defense are full of crap. They are not interested in self-defense. They are interested in being a bad ass, junior high tier. Real self-defense is all about situational awareness, swallowing your ego, and avoiding trouble spots. Hand to hand combat skill isn't even in the top ten real self-defense skills. And by the time you get past the first ten, you had BETTER have a gun.

i just ordered my first gi ever

in class today i did a cool thing where i effortlessly blocked a triangle that the guy was 100% sure he was gonna get.

he explained how i was gonna get into a triangle but my clever trick prevented it completely. that was pretty satisfying.

Those moments are the best. Don't get complacent tho. Keep on training

im completely new to it, i literally grabbed that trick off youtube and tried to keep it in my head going into class.

i think i might enjoy bjj

Kicking the air with technique in mind
Squat jumps with knee tuck
Static and dynamic stretching

Can i learn a Martial Art by myself
(at least at a decent level) just searching on the net, watching fights and getting some books? I'm actually really interested in Muay Thai or Boxing but there r no gyms here so idk what to do

No
Just find a gym before you hurt yourself

lol

I (mostly) disagree with . You can get very far in boxing on your own as long as you put in the work. lots of conditioning and access to a heavy bag somehow will get you to a decent level after enough time. obviously a real gym with everything they have and a real coach will be BETTER but if you can't do that, doing stuff on your own can work.

the only really big problem is sparring. if you want to actually be good at boxing and be able to use it in a real life scenario (be it for self-defence or you have the goal of competing eventually) you need real world fighting experience which only comes with sparring. if you can somehow get that you'll do fine.

If you just go to class and don't do anything else you're gonna be blue belt in 3years minimum in a non-McDojo

Unlearning bad technique is harder than learning good technique

you don't really need a coach to learn proper technique, you have the Internet at your disposal. jack dempsey's book is amazing too.

which lifting routine is good to make strength gains for karate? only done PPL till now

3 times a week full body 2 times a week boxing or the opposite

This is also a good reason not to learn alone, too much ego. Without sparring you can't judge how good you are and could easily get flushed

>CE
>BCE

Attached: really nigga.png (396x385, 138K)

I fucking hate this graph

>first boxing class today
im both nervous and excited, i shouldn't have benched this morning

Attached: 1563060329740.jpg (770x1068, 200K)

You'll be ok. Come back and tell us how it went.

kek, that's just brazil for ya

muay thai, by manlets, for manlets.

they actually tend to be technically "worse" in the sense that a lot of the old guard despise sport bjj and what it's turned into. like rickson knows how the rubber guard works, he can do it, but he doesn't like nor try to teach it, because it's gamey and requires certain physical attributes. old school bjj is very different from what current bjj is, in some ways it's gotten much more creative and demanding with some positions people have gotten good in, but it has undeniably gotten away from it's roots as a self defense focused study

>black in 5
MCDOOJJJOOOOOOOOO

BJ Penn is rich, his family paid for him to live and train bjj all day every single day for those years, in addition his black belt was provisional until he won at mundials.

i disagree, my gym taught us heelhooks and kneebars as a white belt, with the understanding that they weren't allowed during white belt competition and to not really try them during rolls. if your gym didn't atleast show you them i don't know what to think of your gym lol, especially if you have dudes getting black belts in 5 years, thats just silly

ok

just go to an mma gym if that's your goal, no point in spending years in a gi if your ultimate intent is mma. most mma gyms will do no gi and gi days as well

dude no one is talking about japan here lol no one cares about those fucking nips, everywhere else in the world, wrestlers mog every other sports athletes

someones mad they got knocked out at the bar last weekend lmao

which one did you get? I've been doing no gi for a few months now but I'm thinking of going to a few gi session as well and was thinking of getting this one

amazon.com/Your-Jiu-Jitsu-Gear-Brazilian/dp/B075WYQJ63

how bout this one buddeh

Attached: martial arts general.jpg (1080x1395, 247K)

My gym isn't the one giving out black belts after 5 years. Our teacher did show us a heel hook once but said not to use it until you're a blue belt

i guess it really depends on class size. my gym is small, classes aren't ever more than 20 of us, including instructors getting their own rolling time in and two just teaching. i guess i wouldn't teach heelhooks if i couldn't supervise rolling, we do atleast 3 rounds of live rolling every class

What the fuck is judo-do this is pure shite.

did someone say judo?

Attached: durrr muh judo.png (1200x627, 1.03M)

Sounds exactly like my gym lol. But we mostly have like 5 to even 6 rounds of rolling which is pretty sweet

i can't believe people would even go back to gyms that don't do live rolls daily to be honest, that shit just screams mcdojo to me. striking sparring every day yeah no thats a bit much but bjj is so low impact lol

Current UFC Lightweight champ is a judoka lol

he's done judo sambo and wrestling equally, calling him a judoka is like calling jon jones a muay thai fighter lol

Attached: ippon.gif (540x300, 1.92M)

Post you sparring with someone

T. Someone who had to unlearn bad technique

You can get a black belt in 5 years, but not with only 2x/week, not a chance. It takes a normal person about 10 years to get a black belt.

wrestlers are pretty much the toughest, most athletic, and most well-rounded athletes if you ask me though.

black belt in 5 years is like 5/6 days a week, and even then will be subject to scrutiny. i could see it with that kind of dedication and a lot of times competition success will belt dudes faster than normal. still 5 years is too soon