/mag/ - Martial Arts General

ELBOW DESTRUCTION edition

Attached: comment_uCV0ZDo8OHwAIpffUB2YNyHGvAU5np2G.gif (480x270, 3.05M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i8mUppujzyA
youtube.com/watch?v=73gfGdyDX7o
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for kickboxing come at me fagets

Second for kickboxing but 50km drive so i'll switch to Judo probably

Anyone have a cardio regiment for muay thai?

Did 5 3-minute rounds of sparring today. First 3 rounds were against the really skilled guys in my gym. They pushed the pace but I was able to hold my own. Last 2 rounds were against some lesser skilled guys, but man, I was practically a punching bag for them because I was so tired. I really hate how much my skill drops off once my gas tank is empty.

You have something that measures your pulse during exercise, like a chest strap or wrist device?

I don't have one unfortunately.

Order a MyZone. I work at a gym, and it's what we use. They're super cool and figure out a percentage based on how hard you're working and you can display it on the gym TV/your phone

>150 quid for a bluetooth chest strap when these things are available for 40.
i don't think so.

nth for based cueball

Attached: 459C28D7-8F9D-4466-9FAC-7529EAB4515D.jpg (1280x720, 210K)

Oh you're that user... a pity, kickboxing is really cool but 50km is too much lost time and money

but can he break a board in da streetz? I don't think so....

What are some good stretching routines for martial arts?

I have absolutely shit gas tank and cardio and I'm gonna be starting BJJ + MT soon. What do I do? Run 3 times a week for like 2-3 miles? Do I need more?

I'm already doing PL shit 3x a week too

rope skipping, jogging/running, cycling.
also proper breathing during a fight, that really changes a lot

Yeah, he still got a round in the chamber

speak of the devil lol
youtube.com/watch?v=i8mUppujzyA

How do I get good at jump rope? I can do 3 maybe 4 rotations before I smack my feet and have to do it again.

How long do you generally jump rope for

The second kick cycled the bolt to extract that.

Keep doing it even if you trip, eventually you'll get the rhythm. When you feel comfortable with the basic jump try to add skipping on one leg and so on.

Is kickboxing once a week good enough to grow skills? Includes 2 hr class and 1 hr sparring. I can only go on Thursdays because I have judo on Tuesdays

Can I do BJJ 5 times a week and lift 3x a week doing full body shit without completely dying and overtraining? I'm trying to lose weight but with all that activity I'm still probably going to have to eat quite a lot to not die.

It's not good but it's better than not training and 3 hrs is a good chunk of time. Make sure to put in at least as much time outside of class practicing your drills and combos.

Just eat at your TDEE and adjust from there

Let us know!

Is it acceptable to tell my BJJ instructor that I will partipate in the drills and techniques but not in rolling? I have a light injury to my tricep tendon and I want to rest it up a little but I also really want to do BJJ.

I want to focus on grappling but I also want to lift a little. How do I make sure lifting does not interfere with my grappling/progress?

The best option that is available for the average Joe is to get a chest strap and adjust your cardio training accordingly.

Post Aikido stories

Attached: D3010E5D-26DE-4D4D-B303-A2E5CE3D0E29.jpg (1280x825, 260K)

>you can calculate if you're only using ten percent of your power now
anime is becoming real life

Attached: 1515468055586.webm (480x360, 2.48M)

Completely acceptable if it's for an injury. BJJ culture is very laid back, no one is going to push you until you break.

At my first boxing training I wasn‘t able to perform the boxer-step. Although the trainer was very nice I walked home in shame, bought a jumping ripe the next day, practiced for about 2 hours for three days and then got it. Im literally a body autist, I am really bad a coordinating multiple parts of my body at the same time

Attached: 28F7BD62-A34A-45E5-BAA0-25E3D4EE9153.png (396x399, 211K)

what happens in the video? I don't wanna watch ;-;

Attached: 1565758302867.jpg (465x471, 38K)

sounds like practice doing that would be good for you then.
good luck boxing please.

Also to boxer-anons: do you also have problems with your cover , because your bizeps+pectoralis are too big? My trainer called me out on it.
I hit my home gym 4 times a week and do boxing-training two times a week (I dont want to actually have a real fight, just training+sparring).

Attached: 2765D372-EDB1-4904-AEA2-EC6B00CDE4DC.jpg (540x720, 49K)

>wing chun

based practice-at-homer

Nothing, he kicks the gun and the magazine falls out

Guy kicks the mag out of the gun then mimes like he's hitting the guy holding the gun.

I promise.

It's just some slav conscripts fucking around drunk as usual but, unusually, nobody gets hurt.

Yes, I included 10 Minutes of rope-skipping into my daily routine

It won't. Not unless youre lifting 5 times a weak with bad recovery.

Which is moot since he was slow enough for the average man to squeeze the trigger in response

>those years fighting and Michael Phelps would just outswim you

>how is learning how to fight would help you in a swimming competition?

Attached: usatsi_9367080-1-e1471880694167.jpg (400x225, 17K)

I just started judo last week and will only be able to train there through December because I'll be moving back to school. How much will I be able to learn if class is 3 times a week? I know it depends how much I put into it, but what's an average? And speaking of how much I put into it, any good ways to practice by myself outside of class? Any good YouTube channels or something I can watch?

I train BJJ 5 days a week, lift 4 days a week, and rain kickboxing twice a week. It's doable, but you need to program deload weeks into your lifting routine, probably eat 3500-4000 kcals a day, and make sure you get 8 hours of sleep every night.

what would knowing how much you're exerting actually do for you, seriously? I can tell I'm dying and can't go on anymore without a fancy device and it's not like it's gonna help improve my conditioning in any way

kickboxing is for ppl too afraid of clinching and elbows prove me wrong

run far and fast a lot. at the end of the day its just breathing dude. If it ever feels like too much just breath more. not rocket science

jokes on you I swam in high school after amateur boxing all my childhood

I spent a few hours looking like a retard before I was able to get the coordination for it down. Just takes practice.

Yeah you can do it. Light quick sugars / carbs in the day (while between training) and bigger heavy foods early in the morning and night. The body will adjust just might take a minute or two.

This is some dumb 80s knuckle dragger mindset. It is just above those retarded Chute Boxe sparring wars. Train smart not hard. The right mindset is just doing enough to improve your conditioning and you can improve it significantly without killing yourself in every cardio unit.
If you have a device, you can measure your heartbeat and stay within certain heartbeat ranges. Doing different workloads every day will give you better results.

I don't want to sound like a dick but thats just fucking stupid. MT alone (all i can say for sure because I dont do bjj) requires a high level of cardio, and if you want to take it seriously and learn anything you have to go often and train hard, doing bjj mt and pl at the same time just sounds like you are trying to be cool but are going to burn out in weeks. Especially if you have a shit tank. I would start with one and see if you can even continue your current lifting routine with it before adding another.

who cares about swimming laps, water polo is the only real aquatic sport.

>and then mister kicky fagslovkia gets brutally beaten with an unloaded rifle

ok, in the context of the dude sparring in , why would that have helped?

"sorry buddy, my strap says I'm at the right bpm right now, I'm gonna have to call this round right now?"
"sorry coach, I'd like to keep doing your circuit and respect your instructions but my bluetooth chest strap says that's about right for me, see you in 30"

He asked for a cardio regimen.

don't do BJJ and MT, just pick one.

I train BJJ, kickboxing, and lifting. It's doable and not at all unrealistic if you put in the time.

Is it ok to train nogi bjj with a mostly healed torn meniscus? Or will I get it injured again.

Me and my pal wanted a martial art to do. Any recommendations?

just do muay thai
why choose to be mediocre at a really cool martial art just so you can alsl be mediocre at the gay half of MMA?

and you’re unremarkable at all of them

Attached: 72E48104-9867-4FDA-B7A6-0824C31F60BB.jpg (810x713, 106K)

i like to look at my male rolling partners straight in the eyes
they get nervous and make more mistakes

but sects

Is judo good for starting out? I like the idea of learning to fall correctly and the focus on grappling rather than striking.

Sure.

he actually did it, the absolute madman
youtube.com/watch?v=73gfGdyDX7o

Something nearby with live sparring and an active competitive scene

aikido or krav maga

Or ninjutsu i heard it's pretty deadly

yeah, jump rope is great
Most people can handle a lot more cardio than 3 times per week. But you need variety.
Impact cardio such as running or jump rope I would limit to 3 times per week. Other forms such as elliptical, rower, cycling you can basically go to town on.

ATATATATATATATAATATATATATAATATATATATATATATAATATATATATATAATATATATATATATA

>Any recommendations?
what you've got nearby?
training all by yourselves following youtube instructions will lead to absolutely nothing, only shit form and bad habits

>he doesn't know
pathetic

i have a buddy that trains bujinkan, its kind of funny to watch him talk about it because he's a smart dude that knows it has flaws but has also been doing it so long he's really into the spiritual side of it and worships his sensei. i don't want to ruin it for him, but when we hit the bags and he's over there throwing some crazy shit it makes me want to have a talk with him about it. feels bad man

spar with him

i do, he's not too bad, just when he throws double spinning back elbows or double spin tornado kicks kek. the spiritual stuff honestly makes me cringe harder, because he's open to other martial arts and mma, but he listens to this sensei on everything, he told me he saw a cat with glowing eyes while he was meditating and that his sensei told him it was a demon, because he's a warrior of the light and that attracts creatures from the dark. i was like, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok

Fuck the b8 answers. If you want a good martial art, do
Boxing
Kickboxing
Muay Thai
Wrestling
BJJ
Kyokushin or Shotokan Karate
Maaaaybe Sambo
Anything else is aids

Attached: Yujiro.png (849x460, 537K)

based and common sense answer

Nice!
You could add Judo to the maybe section, but dunno.

And what about Luta Livre and Vale Tudo?

What if you are just ignorant to the truth of this world?

Attached: vs.dog.png (597x444, 384K)

>Shitoshin
>NO HITS TO THE FACE
>good

Attached: no.rules.png (571x972, 451K)

Not fitness related >>/sp/

>Not fitness related
how fucking retarded can you actually be?
[spoiler]although you could argue for /asp/[/spoiler]

any differences between pure bjj gym and mma focused bjj gym???

Attached: mL2rWKa.png (970x595, 928K)

mma focused > pure bjj

Not him, but why?

mma-focused trains proper takedowns (no starting on the ground), punishes you with knees and punches when stupidly timing your takedown and you'll immediately get used to defending against ground£.
So from a self-defense standpoint mma bjj > pure bjj.
If it's just for fun then it doesn't really matter, pure bjj is probably more relaxed

Post body

Pure BJJ doesn't care about strikes and can make very liberal and creative use of pulling guard. MMA-focused BJJ is shallower but more practical. If you want to get the best you can be at grappling, you ought to practice pure BJJ even if you also train MMA on top of it. If you only have time for one, take the MMA focused BJJ.
Those are all valid points, but pure BJJ will also make you a better grappler in the long run and will therefore make you better in self-defense situations.
I train at an MMA gym and at a BJJ only gym. The MMA gym teaches much more practical grappling that considers what happens when strikes are included, but they are simply worse grapplers than at the BJJ only gym. Others from the MMA gym who cross-train at the BJJ only gym are much tougher opponents because they have a better, more full understanding of grappling and can apply that in a situation with strikes.

What are your thoughts on Sambo?

Attached: 496411.jpg (4187x2792, 3.55M)

Good list. Judo and ITF Tae Kwon Do could also be added to the maybe section. Shotokan Karate is shit tier tho.

Unless you're Russian/eastern european, don't bother. The chances of finding a non-mcdojo are slim, and there is no competitive scene outside Russia

Not in Eastern Europe or former USSR, but most Sambo gyms here are ran by expats with legit credentials, and the competitions scene appears to be small but not inactive. Shame the closest place is 50km away from me, kind of wondering how I'd fare with a decent Judo/BJJ/wrestling background.