Why do all new cities pretty much look like trash and why did we forget how to build cozy good looking cities?

Why do all new cities pretty much look like trash and why did we forget how to build cozy good looking cities?

Attached: 4j5kfg4uqmx21 (1).jpg (1024x670, 291K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=GapUEKYLE1o
tagmap.io/tag/r9k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

good looking = more money that the city planners/government doesn't have.

modern cities put substance over style
modern "style" arcitecture is just a byproduct and failed attempt of making it look good
honestly cant wait until we build cozy traditional houses with hidden tech everywhere at some point because people will go nostalgia mode over everything

>honestly cant wait until we build cozy traditional houses with hidden tech everywhere at some point because people will go nostalgia mode over everything
Do you think we will? The city planners seem to hate it and they want to put their mark on the city rather than make it a cozy place to live in

>good looking = more money that the city planners/government doesn't have.
So give the government and city planners less money to solve the issue?

What about car culture memes?

Attached: Houston aerial 1970s west copy.jpg (1050x792, 212K)

you just wait until a) society semi collapses and/or b)cityplanners and architects start to pander to increasing numbers of nostalgia/stylefags

>cityplanners and architects start to pander to increasing numbers of nostalgia/stylefags
Cityplanners ego is way to big for this user, they'll just say that it's people who don't understand architecture that criticizes the new styles

theyll lose their jobs once stylefagging becomes so overwhelming that people boycott them

Let's hope it will. We have such great building materials these days yet we waste it on concrete boxes

You're from Bern, lad?
I like the city, pretty comfy to walk around.

Why don't you read a fucking book on the subject moron.

I wish I was, but I will probably move to Switzerland after I finish Uni

Because like to be able to get in their cars and get where they need to go without massive traffic congestion. Style is only important to tourists, and tourists should be fucking culled.

>. Style is only important to tourists
Wym, style is important to the locals too. Rn I live in a modern part of the city and I fucking hate it and always go to older parts where my surroundings don't look like trash

Because cars

No you won't
t. Swiss

Glasgow is a pretty refreshing place to walk around, but some parts of it are far too densely packed with buildings.

They call that part in the middle 'George Square' and it's a sort of feature of the city, but looks painfully small in this perspective.

You look at the Champs-Elysees in Paris or similar sorts of city scenery features in other locations in the world like NY (Central Park) Washington DC, even London, and how huge they are, it makes you realise how tiny George Square is. Embarrassing.

Attached: glasgow.jpg (1023x681, 239K)

>reading comprehension
3 main issues

On the scale of individual buildings you get what you pay, the cheapest possible building is a concrete and steel cube and the more frills you add the more it will cost you. Old towns look like that because the style is mandated by local laws and protections and it costs a lot more to build with more decorations than it would to make a commie block. That being said good looking building is still value in and of itself and proper regulations can be used to solve ugly buildings.

On the scale of streets and neighborhoods the "nice" areas are also less efficient as the building height are typically low for the land value and lot of area that could be profitable is wasted on parks and stuff. You can make them dense with reasonably high buildings but that usually comes at the cost of space for cars which in turn means you can only do it in the city centers or otherwise it's worthless since you can't walk there anyways. You can sort of get around it by integrating them with good public transport and if case of suburbs by having parking on the outside of the walkable city center.

On the largest scale especially americans have the problem where urban planning is fucked and there are no mixed use or walkable areas being designed. Mixed use old city centers are obviously good at some things but they don't facilitate long distance traveling very well so when lot of your customers are in the suburbs it means your city center can't be bogged down mess or otherwise it's very hard to shop there. Single use zoning allows for lot better car access and bigger shops which have their own benefits. There's always the lobby efforts from different groups that want their own version of zoning.
Building a nice looking city is still obviously possible but it comes at a cost, typically in terms of increased land price
Also
>old good new bad
bias

Why not? Tons of ppl move to Switzerland

Because liberals thought that traditional architecture and symbolism caused nationalism and wars and they wanted to replace it with a global style that made it impossible to tell where you are from the buildings
m.youtube.com/watch?v=GapUEKYLE1o

Where are you from?

Make a thread when you come, i'll gladly invite you to drink something.

Don't be stupid senpai, if we bring people, better bring brains than retarded rapefugees.

Utility is important than aesthetics

>Where are you from?
I'm Scandinavian, tons of ppl from here move to Switzerland due to the low taxes, good wages and nice living there.
>Make a thread when you come, i'll gladly invite you to drink something.
Sure man, on what board Jow Forums?

The guy that coined that meme phrase still made beautiful buildings so no, it's just that the architects are lazy

Yeah or in Jow Forums.
Else you can look on:
tagmap.io/tag/r9k
I'm the point in Bern.
Till next time!

Hopefully we'll meet if I move, cya user

No city walls, but the river forms a natural moat, bridges are good choke points to slay the enemy from above with bow and arrow.... 7/10

Those were inefficient as fuck and have all sorts of problems as a result. New Cities get all the cool stuff provided they're funded.

Having everything in walking distance and good public transportation is inefficient now?

Because of cars and specifically lobbying by car companies to build huge roads and parking lots everywhere.

>Why do all new cities pretty much look like trash
they used to be beautiful before aesthetics all over the world homogenized

Attached: new_york_1940s_01.jpg (594x471, 57K)

It's part of the jewish plot to destroy western (white) identity.
If you are even somewhat versed in architecture you are able to tell from which country an older building is just from the style alone.
Nowadays everything looks the same, grey/white/glass skyscrapers, ugly white/beige residential buildings and so on.
There is no identity left, everything is uniform so that even 3rd world migrants can say "hey that's part of my country and my history!".

>Because of cars and specifically lobbying by car companies to build huge roads and parking lots everywhere.
I get that it ruined the cities with roads, but how did it cause buildings to lose all their detail and become stale concrete boxes with no character?

>they used to be beautiful before aesthetics all over the world homogenized
Why were aesthetics all over the world homogenized?

what you call cozy good looking cities were trash when they were new. They had alot of trash and animal and human poop plus everybody was drunk and busy working and yelling for a living.
Its only after world war 2 things got cozy and clean, because the wages were high and people really had extra time to clean and do gardening and shit.
New cities are not shit, they are just new.

Brutalism is the most comfy style of architecture
Change my mind

Attached: FfaRpHy0.jpg (512x512, 96K)

NO stop the bullshit.
the 3rd world will never reach the 1st world even if ordered to build the same building.
third worlders have fucked up hands, they always make everything look kinda odd.
But in the first world a shack looks good why ???? because there is something.

No it's not user it sucks and only lazy architects like it because it's easy to draw

>easy to draw

Attached: brutalist-architecture-thumbnail.jpg (1200x628, 242K)

because they're old and evolved over 1000+ years. they didn't just build a city from the ground up. there's too much history to preserve to knock down the old shit in these ancient cities. not so much in the US

Yeah, that's way easier to draw than traditional architecture, it doesn't have any detailing on it. Also most brutalist buildings don't look like that and are just boxes

it looks awful in wet weather with dark streaks running down the walls
sometimes they build the rooms too small
and a poor, trashy look excuses poor, trashy behavior
it's a style that careless or scatter-brained architects should stay away from

Had a dream last night I was in some French Riviera it was some sort of classic apartment building with a cozy courtyard and large corridors filled with rooms. Thing is it was filled with uhh teens living alone I guess hard to tell because they were so young and thick if you catch my drift right around that prime age yuh knah but fact of the matter I went door to door slamming them on their beds and forcefully penetrating them from behind it was great then I did the same to some boy but finished an anal piledrive at the end which snapped his neck after talking to his dad who walked in on us and happened to be Nicolas Cage

I love Glasgow. It can be depressing looking at the trash when you're walking through the streets, but as soon as you look up you realize you're surrounded by absolutely beautiful buildings from all kinds of different time periods.

Have a shitty pic I took a few years ago looking over towards George Square.

Attached: 1557132407898.jpg (1920x1080, 457K)

When ppl see an old building getting demolished they get sad and when a new one gets demolished no one cares because they're so damn ugly

Looks at the floor when walking confirmed

No, we forgot how to keep them

Lmao no you fucking wont you naive little twat

You know there wasnt a yes or no question in there, right faggot??

cagers
lurk /n/
>some fucking peasants 1000 years ago could build it, but modern capitalists are too poorfag
okay retard
RRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>peasants/serfs
>unpaid, just have to feed them
>can kill unruly ones
hmmmm

old cities grew naturally, whereas new cities are forced

this. Seriously. Also remember new cities are built around "the car" and not people anymore (mostly in the USA)