Did you relate to him when you first read the book?

Did you relate to him when you first read the book?

Attached: holden.jpg (480x480, 39K)

the normalest normalnigger in normalniggerville
written by a normalnigger too

He wasn't a robot, he was majorly depressed. How fucking hard is this to comprehend?

who is that? reading is for faggots

Feel like there's a bit of crossover there.

Yeah, Holden is certainly a robot

Holden Caulfeild from Catcher in the Rye.

I often times related to him. Alot of the things he said had a real doomer feel to them.

I think its kinda dumb to just reduce it to "depression". Obvious the society of phonies around him had something to do with the way he was feeling, it wasn't as simple as being bummed out because his brother was dead.

His story resonated with how I was thinking at the time and I picked it up immediately.

I clicked with him pretty well over the course of the story and understood how he got jaded at everything that was around him.

One line from the book really left an impression on me was where he was watching a play and next to him was some woman crying trails of tears on her face over it. He then says how those type of people who easily cry or overly empathize over plays like this are also the ones to have the nastiest attitudes towards others when in that same situation. Something like that.

yea the way he's on the outside of society going nowhere. the way he isn't participating in the ebb and flow of people going to work, going out etc, just wandering aimless on societies sidelines. iktf. sucks

I relate to his hatred of phony people and his inability to fit in.
I'm a slightly less Spergy version of Holden

i read it first when i was 13 and it all went over my head

Holden was the original model for every doomer since.

You should reread it. Its only like 200 pages long, takes a couple days at most.

To be honest OP, I tried my hardest to not be Holden. I felt like it hurts to be depressed about people being fake and not having to ability to relate to others. Although many would feel like being an introvert is the best, I crave the need to not be completely alone.

I think Holden is like this too. He calls everyone phonies, but ultimately is lonely. In the last bit wheres he's in a mental hospital he says he misses everyone he wrote about, even Maurice, A pimp who beat him up and robbed him.
"Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody"

I read that book when somebody told me I write like him.
I read it to see if I was being insulted or not. I'm still not really sure.

You write like Salinger or Holden?

like Holden

Possibly an insult then. Lots of people say Holden is a jerk or whatever.

I'm a jerk too, I guess. But I don't mean to be.