Buddhist Philosophy

How do I reach enlightenment?

I understand that all things are empty; that all phenomena are devoid of intrinsic characteristics. That they are not created, nor destroyed; that they are not pure, nor are they defiled; that they do not increase or do diminish. I know that there is no such thing as a 'self': that the 'self' is but a combination of the five skhandas (aggregates), and an emergent property of matter that is the result of my biological make-up interacting with the outside world.

So why can't I reach enlightenment, and leave behind all pain and suffering? I know enlightenment is not something to be reached, since there is nothing to be attained, since all things are empty; I know this academically, but how do I realize it, and become empty myself?

Attached: Avalokitesvara-boddhisattva.jpg (531x800, 102K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8ui3vIvymDE&t=0m1s
4chanlit.fandom.com/wiki/Charts?file=1557030737041.jpg
drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Ybg0MCPk00VkhUZ1VrY3dwZVk/view?usp=sharing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You bought into too much bullshit. A lot of those concepts exist just to trick people back into the loop. Trying to reach enlightenment is like trying to get to the top of the stair case in Mario 64. You can run all you want, but you'll never get any closer. It's an instantaneous switch from unenlightened to enlightened. There are no stairs to climb.

Attached: Mario_Endless_Stairs.gif (477x337, 248K)

Be like me and get depression. At some point you'll become so numb that happiness, suffering or any other feeling will be a thing of the past and you'll just be an empty shell.

Attached: hyperdab.jpg (500x505, 25K)

But Buddhism teaches that enlightenment is not something to be 'reached'. It cannot ever actually be reached, since there is 'nothing' to be reached. And this is because the nature of everything is Emptiness: or, in other words, all things lack an objective, intrinsic existence. I know this intellectually, but my question is how to realize it?

Buddhism is actually cancer

Yet here you are trying to reach it with steps and rationality. It's not something you reach, because it's instant. There's no steps to take to get there, because it is nowhere.

This might help youtube.com/watch?v=8ui3vIvymDE&t=0m1s

Is it possible to reach enlightenment while drunk?

t.Zen master

Attached: pinot-noir.jpg (600x900, 66K)

ew a nigger oregon

You, my friend, are spooked as fuck.

There is no difference between you or him; you two are just pieces of matter in the void, interacting with the surrounding matter in the same impersonal manner in which a scientist observes chemicals interacting together. You two are empty; because you are both empty, and because everything else is empty, there is no distinction between either you, or him, or even you and anything else.

This is the essence of Buddhism.

Attached: 1555611621734.gif (408x422, 70K)

You literally stop trying to realize it . Also you will never be infinitely happy and it sounds like from this post that this is what youre looking for

I understand now! I already am enlightened - I always have been enlightened - everyone has always been enlightened. We are all enlightened, without knowing it.

This is the final iteration, and then it ends.

>How do I reach enlightenment?
Rember who you where before you where born.

But make sure this is what you want, you cant go back, and you have your whole life to do it. So take your time and live a little.

Attached: tao.jpg (340x340, 12K)

Yes,child becomes the student, the student becomes the master, the master becomes the child. To try is to fail. Let go of your deferences, let the world take you where it will.

>How do I reach enlightenment?
Realize that Buddhism is the ultimate "status quo" religion that's meant to keep whoever is dumb enough to believe in it in his place forever, it's basically the Chink existentialism/stoicism.

t.someone who doesn't know anything about Buddhism

Come, brother, and let us be empty together.

>This is the final iteration, and then it ends.
Lol, you wish. Enlightenment doesn't get you out of this hell hole. It just makes you not care that you're stuck here for all of eternity.

Attached: iu.jpg (600x400, 92K)

You die. Assuming you're talking about Nirvana anyway. How else can you cease perceiving and cease desire? It's completely unrealistic.

What do you mean by self, that you deny it's existance?

By "self" I mean the substance (unchanging "suchness") which is identical with the subject (what is experiencing this present experience).

Such a "self" is ultimately the entire universe. Phenomena may be empty but neumena are not.

>I understand that all things are empty; that all phenomena are devoid of intrinsic characteristics. That they are not created, nor destroyed; that they are not pure, nor are they defiled; that they do not increase or do diminish. I know that there is no such thing as a 'self': that the 'self' is but a combination of the five skhandas (aggregates), and an emergent property of matter that is the result of my biological make-up interacting with the outside world.
>So why can't I reach enlightenment, and leave behind all pain and suffering?
Because you still intuitively perceive reality as if it were otherwise, even if you may agree with that analysis of reality on a conceptual level. We all know that experiential phenomena are transitory, impersonal and unsatisfactory, but we cling to things as if that were not the case - that is the whole problem.
It is true that Nirvana isn't reached/attained - it is REALIZED. There is a difference between before and after realization of Nirvana. You aren't "already enlightened but you just didn't know it yet." Nirvana is realized through the full practice of the Noble Eightfold Path.
Start with the books in this chart, they contain everything you need to know:
4chanlit.fandom.com/wiki/Charts?file=1557030737041.jpg

This moment is the beautific vision. Right now, I feel inseperably connected to all of you even the worst of your character is implied by my own existence.

Attached: 5717d2cb013bfb03f23e96d9e2998b4b.jpg (705x705, 101K)

By trying to attain enlightenment, you are pushing it away.

if you are buddhist then you need to go fucking vegan so you arent torturing other sentient beings for your hedonistic pleasure

Attached: A0XThS9CMAErTjc.jpg (720x407, 48K)

casual reminder if ur a buddhist and eat meat ur a joke and arent enlightened or anything close to it

im a vegan and if i take my flashlight and shove it up my asshole im infinitely more enlightened than any meat eating buddhist

Attached: quote-it-ill-becomes-us-to-invoke-in-our-daily-prayers-the-blessings-of-god-the-compassionate-mahatm (850x400, 77K)

Who was the guy who achieved sudden enlightenment after shitting?
I want to be that guy except with fapping

Enough of this spam shit, you've already been BTFO enough faggot.

Attached: shoveldog.gif (242x201, 1.96M)

>uuuhh guys how do i reach DA ENLIGHTENEMENT?! =O
>heh i enjoy killing and torturing animals because im stronger heh

okie dokie famalamalam!

Attached: 5abc62f5cad0cd849173b99106dde398.jpg (640x813, 108K)

Goddammit. This is the last time I'm going to explain enlightenment to you people. Everything that exists is made of pure consciousness. Pure consciousness is the space between your thoughts. When you rest in the space between your thoughts, having minimal thoughts just to get along, neither living in the future or dwelling on the past, not having negative thoughts that produce negative emotions, then you're enlightened, buddy. How does it feel to be enlightened? You're already fucking enlightened, is what it feels like. In the space between your thoughts. When you stray from resting in this pure consciousness due to external events that trigger negative thoughts and lead to negative emotions and actions, simply acknowledge the negative thoughts and return to the space between thoughts, saying, "there is nothing to be done." Bang. You've just been enlightened.

Attached: 500.jpg (728x1070, 325K)

drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Ybg0MCPk00VkhUZ1VrY3dwZVk/view?usp=sharing

How do I reach enlightenment?
>> This is your problem.

Buddhist monks can eat meat and fish, so long as it's not meat or fish from an animal that was specifically killed for their consumption. So no picking out a lobster from a tank at a seafood restaurant. That being said, most Buddhist monks are vegetarian because they try to refrain from harming any sentient beings. Some older monks in their 70s or 80s might eat meat on alternate days on a doctor's advice, for their health.

Attached: 1557461053135s.jpg (241x250, 7K)

also it's the essence of Daoism, Hinduism, Christianity, Stoicism, etc.

It's also just the essence of being

>implying I'm a retarded nihilistic buddhist fag and didn't just see another gay fucking retard vegan post from page 1
kys lol, you always have such garbage assumptions about everything. the low IQ literally radiates every post you make, I always know it's you.

I agree after reading through the Pali Canon and some other texts. Stoicism has the practical bits, Buddhism is a suicide cult like most mainstream religions.

The only "religious" text I've read that I've liked is unironically LaVey's Satanist's Bible. The
>Enochian
I can do without, but it's the only text I've read that tells you to engage with the world, to throw yourself into the one and only life you're guaranteed to ever enjoy even the slightest bit. In this modern world of detachment, alienation and virtue ethics, it gives you permission to be a "bad" person if it means you're really living your life. Everyone else tells you to hold back and wait for the next life.

...fuck it, I'm going to go read some Jung, later nerds.

Attached: 1479422017391.jpg (480x360, 13K)

That's how I felt also, but somebody told me to get a version with commentary.

I think the there are still practical bits of it, but for a text to go to to talk about engaging with the world as a person while also being aware that your ego is not your true self, I really recommend Spinoza, Aristotle, and (while I have only begun to understand him, and need way more historical context) Hegel.

The life u are living is one of a kind ans u should make the most of it the reincarnation traditional theravdin buddhism teaches is that that ur soul if u wanna call it that or ur spitual energy or whatever is basically just recycled after ur body no longer functions u don't have multiple lives in the sense that the version of urself that you are rn will continue to exist after death more like ur soul just moves on to the next life with a blank slate

I second that. That heavy dark empty feeling you dont know how to get rid of