How do you feel about disorders and medication?

I think medication for mental illness isn't effective and pills have lots of side effects. I wouldn't want medication for my disorders.
has anyone had a good experience with medication? I know people with schizophrenia need it but what about everyone else?

Attached: dashboard.jpg (1920x1080, 569K)

prozac for depression made me truly suicidal so i stopped taking it. only good medication ive found so far is weed. if you use it just right you can feel pretty good.

DO NOT LABEL YOURSELF AS BEING MENTALLY ILL BECAUSE A PSYCHIATRIST SAYS YOU ARE. THE MEDICAL FIELD IS BUILT ON AUTHORITY. YOU RESPECT AND ARE SUBMISSIVE TO HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS, AND YOU TREAT THEM LIKE KINGS AND QUEENS WITH ALL OF THEIR BIG FANCY WORDS (WHICH BY THE WAY, THEY INVENTED SO YOU CANT UNDERSTAND THEM). I KNOW MY BODY, AND IM TEACHING MYSELF MEDICINE BECAUSE MEDICAL SCHOOL IS JUST MANIPULATION TO CONVINCE HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS THEY ARE WORTH THE GOD-LIKE STATUS. IN GENERAL, WHEN YOU LABEL YOURSELF, YOU CONFORM TO YOUR LABEL AND LOSE YOUR TRUE SELF.

Found the antivaxxer.

I feel like taking meds changed who you are and you lose part of yourself. I think I need them but I'm afraid. My therapist keeps saying I should see about getting diagnosed so I can get proper medication but it worries me. What illness do you have that you don't want medication for?

Not that guy but I consider myself of an antivaxxer.

Measles won't kill you the vast majority of the time.

In 1963 it had a mortality rate of .2 people per 100,000 people.

And why does your average teenager need an HPV or Hep B vaccine? They shouldn't be sexually active or sharing needles at that age anyway.

Most vaccines are ok, but we are giving too many in too short a time to little kids.

IM ALRIGHT WITH VACCINES BUT THE MEDICAL FIELD NEEDS REFORM AND TO SAY THE LEAST SOME FIELDS NEED TO BE REMOVED ALTOGETHER. MEDICINE SHOULD NOT BE STRUCTURED AROUND "HOW CAN I RIP SOMEONE OFF AND KEEP EM COMIN", AND IT SHOULD BE "IM ALRIGHT SACRIFICING SOME POTENTIAL MONEY TO MAKE (X) MORE ACCESSIBLE". PSYCHIATRY IS ONE FIELD I THINK SHOULD BE REMOVED AND REDONE COMPLETELY.

user, your caps lock is still on.

MEASLES MAY NOT KILL YOU BUT IT MAKES MEN INFERTILE. THAT WAS A MAJOR ISSUE BACK WHEN THE SPANISH WERE COLONIZING MEXICO AND THE WESTERN US. MEASLES SPREAD AND MADE MEN INFERTILE AND ALONG WITH OTHER DISEASES KILLED OFF ENTIRE TRIBES THAT HAD BEEN THERE FOR HUNDREDS OF YEARS.

Started Prozac and Klonopin for anxiety a few months ago. The Klonopin just barely works, I still have anxiety but I'm a bit less likely to escape from anxiety-provoking situations now

I didn't even think I was depressed to be honest, but after the Prozac started kicking in I realized I definitely was. I just got used to a depressive state over the past six or so years. Started feeling way better and happier, enjoying every day things more, laughing more, feeling better myself so actually making efforts to do nice things for other people too. But with a downside. I got the common side effect of anorgasmia. Went from jerking off every day with no problem to trying every other day and succeeding maybe once or twice a week. I'm off Prozac now and on Viibryd, it's supposed to have the same effects but much less likely to have sexual side effects. We'll see how it goes, still in the cross-over phase. Overall definitely worth it so far

sorry for killing the thread anons :^(

What game is that dashboard from?

Anti-depressants are a scam. You don't feel happy all the time. City living is so unatural you're always gonna feel down sometimes. No use killing your brain, my dad went the medication route and he's now completely useless. Stay clean and improve yourself, fuck.

You act, then you feel, never forget that.

Self labeling and self fulfilling prophecies end up putting "medicine" in the hands of those who aren't truly ill. The effect is compounded by the often shifting definitions of what constitutes a mental illness. People with something like aspergers today are fish out of water in modern social and labor spheres, but a few decades ago they may have been craft or tradesmen who would be otherwise considered to be normal if not slightly odd.

If memory serves, Aspergers isn't even considered a mental illness anymore, but is simply part of the autism spectrum. Ergo, the person who was normal in the past is now considered an autist today.

To make matters worse, as others have mentioned, it's likely that taking the medications given to you will change your personality in a way that is not directly beneficial to treating the original ailmrnt or disorder that they were originally prescribed for. Imagine spending your entire life as you know it on land then for some reason suddenly being forced to spend the rest of your life on a boat having never been on a boat. During your first few days, you might be seasick due to never having been on a boat in your entire life, so you reach for some medicine to help with your seasickness. You realize that the medicine alleviates your sea sickness, so you then reason that as long as I live on this boat, you must continue to take this particular medicine unless I will be seasick for the entirety of my life while on the boat. And then you find that the medicine for sea sickness causes you to develop a rash, so now you have to use an ointment to keep your rash from developing alll over your body.

Now you are taking two different types of medicine that you would have never had to take had you just stayed on land.

>I feel like taking meds changed who you are and you lose part of yourself.
fucking this, I hate the jew for making pills accepted

Why would you want to keep being the same way if you suffer from mental illness?? Meds don't alter your entire personality.

>If memory serves, Aspergers is simply part of the autism spectrum.

That's correct. The diagnostic lines drawn between the different categories of autism were found to be very vague when put into practice, so the DSM-V decided it made more sense to just have all of them consolidated under Autism Spectrum Disorder. The severity of behaviors are still noted in the diagnosis.

>It isn't considered a mental illness anymore.

Autism is still considered a developmental disorder.

I definitely think it makes sense to try other things before exploring medication if you're trying to deal with symptoms of depression or anxiety. The cliche (but generally effective) examples of weekly exercise, nutritional diet, restful sleep cycles, and setting out time to engage in hobbies you enjoy. Journaling can be a good way to vent stress, brainstorm goals, plan for upcoming things, and just generally focus on organizing disjointed thoughts into something more coherent. Therapy can also be great.

All that said, meds can absolutely help when the rest of that shit isn't cutting it. Especially if you're experiencing psychosis or mania. It's true that medication can have side-effects, which is why you ought to try and see a psychiatrist if you're getting started with them, as opposed to getting your PCP to write you out a quick and convenient prescription. I've personally had experience with Abilify and Zoloft when I was suicidal, but it's hard for me to say how effective it was, since it was almost 10 years ago, and I don't think I took them consistently. Right now I'm on Methylphenidate, which helps a lot with my apathy and general fatigue towards daily tasks.

I have autism and GAD
I get prescribed meds for my anxiety but I have never taken them

>I get prescribed meds for my anxiety but I have never taken them
So you can get the bux?

>I feel like taking meds changed who you are and you lose part of yourself
I was afraid of this at first, but i feel like taking my meds really helped me out
Schizo btw.

I would get bux regardless, as I have professionally diagnosed conditions, but I just don't want to take them. I guess it's nice to know I have them in case I ever need them but I don't see myself taking them.

Anti psychotics took away my paranoia and made me over eat and become obese for the first time in life. Been on max dosage of 3 anti depressants and I'm still suicidal so they don't work for me.

At what age did you know that you have autism? Did you just notice it and want to get professionally diagnosed or did your parents notice when you were really young?

Always felt different but thought that was just me. Got diagnosed 8 or so months ago at 22

Meds aren't able to solve your issue. Depression will never truly go away. You gotta learn how to manage it. I've suffered with an anxiety since I was 3. I started displaying symptoms of OCD when I was 6 which got really bad when I was 8. I would wash my hands to the point where they became cracked with open sores on my knuckles. I would spend about an hour a day doing routines that would convince my mind I HAD to do or else I or a loved one would die. I was put on Prozamel when I was 12 and it sort of alleviated my anxiety but only temporarily. I went to psychiatrists and psychotherapists but they were of little help. In Ireland, you either pay 300 quid a session, or you are stuck on a 2 year long waiting list to see one. My anxiety came to a head when I was 15 where I would spend 2 hours each night in a panic doing my OCD routines. I had a major panic episode where I started hyperventilating and passed out so I was admitted to the ER. That was my lowest point. I was put on Escitalopram and sort of decided myself that I wanted to get better. Through a combination of philosophy, especially stoicism, self taught Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and a trial and error, I was able to largely overcome my anxiety disorder. I still have it and always will, but now my "routines" only take about 3 minutes out of my day accumutivley and are so discreet no one even knows I have OCD. I am turning 21 in 2 days and I was able to sort of finally get my life on track. I have a full time job, some close friends and am generally able to socialize well. The medication is a temporary stop-gap. It may leave you feeling numbed to the pain, but you have to treat the cause, not a symptom. It brings up your mood slightly but you need the willpower, knowledge, experience and determination to make a change yourself. I was on 10mg of Escitalopram and my doctor is weening me off it by placing me on 5mg. I think we all have to reach the low depths of despair in order to claw our way out.

Attached: bloomer.jpg (600x525, 61K)

My sister had depression and she said antidepressants helped a lot.

Based schizoposter
Unbased Reddit user