Empathy

Anyone else here have a kind of delayed empathy, for example when a tragic event happens I probably won't feel sad about it until at least half an hour later, but the emotion hits it hits hard, because of this I have overall developed a moral compass but it still fails me occasionally which is annoying for those around me, another problem is that I often have to fake emotion (so that I don't come across as a psychopath) only to go through those very emotions I faked later in the day.
I'd just like to know if I'm the only one like this, I can't talk to anyone I know about this cause I'll end up looking like a piece of shit so I thought I'd share it here.

Attached: xdfd.png (374x483, 89K)

I only have empathy if something is happening directly in front of me. If not I'm a heartless bastard capable of terrible behavior. I think it's related to Aphantasia somehow.

sounds like a pain in the ass, it's a shame to what extent having low empathy is vilified, I'll admit that it's not ideal but treating people with low empathy like monsters will only make it less likely that they will seek help and therefore making them much worse than they actually are

why do my threads always die r9k?

depends
for example if you can't show sadness or any emotion of that kind because of an event (for example a relative passing away) your mind simply fights the thought of it happening since "it can't happen". This happened to me when my dad passed away I couldn't cry when getting to know it even at the funeral (just forced some tears exactly to not look like a psychopath) and then some long time later it hit me hard
but if you mean empathy for random tragic events like "x people died in a plane crash" it is totally normal to not feel sad from it

first example

Same here, also I can't empathize with people I don't personally know.
Even videos of shootings don't bother me at all, and I instead find them funny sometimes.

Yes but only if it something like a big disaster.
While it happens I'm like stuck or frozen and to the people looking at me from the outside it appears that I don't care
I do care but in retrospect. And I like to avoid caring because I'd probably think about it too much and cry too much

As an example of what I mean a while ago a friend of mine said he no longer wanted to be my friend, in the moment I felt absolutely nothing but I was barely able to sleep that day

then if you feel empathy or any kind of sadness of it later you are fine also when tragic events happen people don't expect you to act sad immediately most people will get only a shock(which you might actually not feel) from it first
>t. guy who got to know today his grandpa got lung cancer and will not live more than 2 weeks

Definitely can relate

Happens to me sometimes as well

Makes me feel like the worst hypocrite imaginable desu, but the flip side is I don't get grossed out easily at all unless it involves animal cruelty. I think I wouldn't seem like such a cunt if I never discovered social media. People seem to like me IRL but most of them hate my guts based on online impressions. Oh well.

Attached: IMG_20190518_191938.jpg (432x432, 25K)

Thanks for the information, I'll try and put it to use

>tfw you cannot feel sympathy for random people
>tfw you hear a story about someones relative in the hospital
>tfw you have to fake a reaction so you don't look like a heartless asshole
I don't know this person in the hospital, why would I care that they're there? People get sick/hurt themselves etc. all the time, imagine being emotionally unstable and feeling bad for everyone, it would be a full time job
I think the only one I'd actually feel anything legitimately for would be my wife/kids if something happened to them, fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you see it I have neither so I just feel like an emotionless entity going through life

Oh I forgot to add, Is it immoral to fake emotion?

Same OP. You ever have to deal with crisises? Because that's a great emotional response to have when one of your friends or family gets hit by a car or something like that. Be calm so you can take care of shit now, process it later.

same. i think this is defensive reaction or something like this. your brain helps you in extreme situations. sometimes i feel good and even laugh when something bad happens but after 2 hours i cry

Yeah, whenever people are watching the news and the person talks about people dying, people act sad even though those aren't people they know, it doesn't make sense to me.

Luckily I haven't had to just yet, I'll keep that in mind though

same, worst part is if you forget to fake emotion because you're focused on what's being shown and so people think you're a psychopath.

This
Hell, apart from my direct family, any relative of mine could die in a horrible way and I couldnt care less, they're just random people to me. Any "empathy" I might feel is just a way of saying "Damn I hope that doesnt happen to me or someone I actually care about".

I dread the day when my grandparents die because I know I'll have to act as if I actually care around my mom.

Attached: 1532525869957.png (211x220, 77K)

anyway now that this thread is dying down I'd like to thank you all for your answers, you've helped me out quite a bit.