Teaching self programming

I want to teach myself programming to a point of employability. Has anyone here accomplished this? Any tips?

Attached: 1503132331149.jpg (640x480, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0u45DTcifrt
amazon.com/Discrete-Mathematics-Applications-Kenneth-Rosen/dp/0072899050
amazon.com/Programming-Language-2nd-Brian-Kernighan/dp/0131103628
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Any tips?
dont stop

Work on projects instead of random code tricks or advanced shit. Its not hard to find resources or guides to becoming employable on your own. After you learn the basics on the common languages, meaning java, C, maybe python, then you can start thinking about what you want to specialize in. Dont just study courses unless you are working toward a certificate. Look for useful certificate programs but theyre not always needed.
Look at job descriptions and just build on one specific skill set then start interviewing early. There are some places online where you can practice interview. You dont need to know everything on the job description, just enough to know how to find the solution to a problem online or with some trial and error

WHAT IS THE MEME BEHIDE THIS BOOK

it's an old programming book that used to be the standard for MIT students, also contains the sentence "we conjure the spirits of the computer with our spells"

lol thats a cool quote

Not self taught, but IMO start with C/C++ since most modern languages are based off of C. Keep doing practice problems online, like on Kattis or Hackerrank, the questions can be sorted by difficulty so you can progress as you learn.

Thanks this is solid advice. How quickly do you think I could become employable if I were to put in, say, 8 hours a day of quality study?

>Keep doing practice problems online, like on Kattis or Hackerrank, the questions can be sorted by difficulty so you can progress as you learn.
This is actually what I was looking for. I am reading "The C Programming Language" but I feel like it is just information with no real practice (there's like 2 exercises per chapter).

thread theme:
vocaroo.com/i/s0u45DTcifrt

who /prog/ here

do you need a high IQ to pull this off? My IQ is around 110 and i struggled horrifically with math. I needed after class tutoring to pass probability and i dropped algebra 1. you can safely assume my major was absolutely worthless

never forget haskell the dog

learn python first!!

also no, you don't need a high IQ to program at all. there are jobs for every type of programmer. sure you need to be smart to do more complicated things but the fundamentals are dead simple.

Low IQ here, you don't need to be good at math to program, at most you'll be using highschool algebra and at worst you'll be plugging in the formulas some poor engineer had to figure out.

You could find an entry level job within 6 months or a year pretty easily. You should try reaching out after 3 months and spend like an hour or two per week looking up jobs. You want to get in as soon as possible to learn on the job and get paid. Actual programmers are in high demand in many places and I dont know about yours, but yeah you should be confident in yourself even if you dont get immediate callbacks. Come back and ask for job hunting feedback later.

Here. I've been programming since I was pretty young (11ish years old, currently 23), but my one advice would be this: learn the theory. Pick up a textbook on discrete mathematics (don't get spooked by the word math, discrete math just means that it's self-contained math). Then, pick up a lower-level language, I'd suggest C. It'll be harder to deal with, but you'll be equipped to deal with any language you come across.
I recommend the following books:
>Discrete Mathematics and its Applications
amazon.com/Discrete-Mathematics-Applications-Kenneth-Rosen/dp/0072899050
A very soft introduction, but very good for getting you up to speed, so to speak.
>amazon.com/Programming-Language-2nd-Brian-Kernighan/dp/0131103628
the go-to book for learning C.

After that, you'll want to pick up on some languages that are used often. This will change depending on what type of work you want to do, but common languages include C++, Python, Lua. Good luck, and god speed.

thanks bro. oregon trail

I'm the user as . I struggled with math a lot when I was younger, just about as much as you mention here, but it turns out that my foundations were just shaky. After re-learning basic math in a rigorous manner (which is way better than how you're taught in school), I've actually come to find to enjoy math and be good at it. Don't let your bad experiences with me or you self-identification with being bad at math stop you from learning it!

Learn HTML5, CSS, PHP and JavaScript. That should be a good starting curriculum. SoloLearn has some good free programs but its very easy to cheat around so you really have to have the willpower to just go with the program and learn legitimatley. Make flash cards and shit. Then id say go for Csharp then some cool C++ stuff maybe. Good luck! I made some decent money doing freelance work on fiverr for websites and simple programs for people.

This might be the first and last time I say something productive on this board, but as a fellow code nigger that's being doing this shit since I was like 13 (10 years of my life wasted imo) that if you want to learn how to code just do it. It isn't hard, if you think there'll be like 1000 different syntaxes like I did when I was young you'll find out you're wrong, just don't be afraid to fail, afyer like 10 years I still have to occasionally visit stackoverflow because I'm too retarded to remember why something doesn't work in Ruby (But to be fair, I am new to it, only worked on c#, c++, java, xaml and pearl, give or take xamarin)

>This might be the first and last time I say something productive on this board
what did he mean by this?

Forgot to mention one little detail, theory is a bitch but it helps, after like the 5th time people screamed at you not to use shit like + with strings you'll start to ask why, and the moment you have a learn program or website and it'll always overflow you'll notice all those fucking other code niggers were right and now just being code nazis

Real* I'm a fucking retard

best posts in the thread

you might get the knowledge to the point of employability but it's hard af to get a job in that field w/o a degree. aside from that my advice is to learn C since it's sorta the perfect middle ground between truly low level/high level for learning. that's just in general tho. if there's a specific type of thing you want to do then find the most common language for that particular thing. make stuff really consistently, like use those Jow Forums programming challenge threads to get ideas for stuff to try making

oh and ignore CIA niggers