Meme Degree General

Tell us, what meme degree did you waste your time, energy and money in?

In my case it was in a Meme Degree in Sociology. This can only be topped if you have a Meme Degree in Gender Studies.

I spent 6 fucking years in it. Not so much money because in my country university isn't that expensive like in the USA but still I spent money in it.

Attached: 2423234432.jpg (640x420, 35K)

Poli sci
4 and a half years
No debt at least but yeah I think it was largely a waste of time. Been a NEET since. And I was a khv all through college because I lived at home and would just come home to watch anime/cartoons and fap

Go become a welder

math, which isn't really a meme if you want to be a mathematician or make decent money, but I stayed with it long after I burned out and hated the subject, so it ended up being kind of a waste

What was your plan after finishing math? What did you thought you could do?

be a mathematician at a university. but doing that requires a lot more than just being good at proving theorems. unless you're a literal prodigy, you need to grind like an ascetic turbo-autist and be resilient to the alpha-male pissing contests constantly initiated by literally every one of your colleagues

You also need to become friend of some old teacher to be able to get into the university as a teacher, right?

That was what people said me in my university that were studying to become university teachers.

Game art.

I do make 80k at a small studio though.

Then that is not a meme degree retard.

Avionics

I'm sure that makes it way easier, but I'm pretty sure you can just get hired on as a junior professor until you get tenured. I didn't make it that far though, I stopped right at the beginning of my grad courses loololol

Nah, it's still a meme degree, he just made it work for him. If you did a Gender Studies degree in Harvard or something (I doubt they offer that desu), you could definitely leverage your Harvard degree into a career, but it doesn't suddenly make Gender Studies any less of a meme degree.

alot of people fucked up, were lazy or didn't keep up with technology after graduating , so they say it is.

I would assume that he is not going for a teaching position, but rather for research. I am starting such a job soon and will only have very limited teaching responsibilities

What are you going to research about?

MS in Health policy and management with emphasis on biostatistics. I'm in my last semester right now, and I'm so burnt out. I am really depressed with the fact that I missed out on two summers to get this degree.

Graphic design.
Now I'm NEET.

Like how to apply augmented realty and virtual reality to production environments. Partly in-house and partly with industry partners

oof
you got a job from that though, right user?

Biology

STEM is partly a meme, trust me guys, don't just go for a bachelors if you're studying science. I literally cannot get a job in my field, and wage slavers in my area all presume I think I'm "too good" for regular work, so I'm overqualified for nigger jobs. I am truly in purgatory, with no escape save for the sweet release of death

I mean, you can still freelance with your degree you're just not gonna be paid a whole lot and not have as many options without real work experience but yeah the market is pretty inflated.

I still have hope of getting a career in it after I go to college this year but that's because I already have connections and my area has a shit ton of GD jobs

It sucks how meme health degrees are. It's gonna be so important when antibiotics stop working, ancient viruses pop out of the unfrozen glaciers, and tuberculosis gets brought over into the US. All the same, it's going to be 14/hr and 10 years of experience required for entry level positions

Attached: 1520380146940.png (1170x900, 467K)

The thing you realise when working freelance is that most people are incredibly design illiterate and have no idea works and what doesn't. Most of what you make ends up looking like shit.

Nothing says that you need to declare your bachelors on an application.

I've been thinking about dropping my Biochem MS off of my resume so that people stop calling me overqualified.

I tried that but it came up during the background check and I was blacklisted from the company

Yeah but money is money in the end. If you're really desperate to actually use your degree for something fun you could get into communities and offer to do designs and shit for free which at least helps build your portfolio. You're a NEET so it's not like you have anything better to do

It's hard to get decent stuff for your portfolio though when you're forced to design absolute shit.

>History
If you hate kids and hate speaking to large crowds, stay away from this shit. The paper work is fine but dealing with kids and their families is a pain in ass. The work does not pay much, it kinda forces you to look for a teaching position in several schools, but i am a lazy and a cheap faggot so i don't care.

At least you have a degree and didn't dropout

Geology and biology. Fuck me.

Trust me, your career prospects would not have improved with a degree

Economics and East Asian Studies. My parents told me how learning Chinese would make me really attractive to companies. Honestly, it just made me more racist.

Read the 2nd half of my post. If you're focused on building your portfolio you gotta create your own projects to work on where you're not restricted or constantly changing stuff due to idiots. While it's more unprofessional you could also looking into reaching out to people who do youtube or stream stuff and try to design stuff for them whether for free or for cheap and the best part about reaching out to THEM is that, unless they offer to pay a good amount, you can totally turn them down. Some of the guys I reached out to and tried working on stuff for made the stupidest design choices when I tried to make something for them and I told them i'm straight up not gonna finish this if they want to make these stupid design decisions. I'm the graphic designer, not you. Obviously you can't do that kind of stuff in actual real professional jobs but it helps to let you work on something you can be proud of and actually use in your portfolio

Economics (business) usless degree but at least I got it from the top ranked uni in my state

Doesnt qualify me to operate a toilet.

I am a web dev / programmer making a measly $19/hr after 5 yr experience

I just want to be NEET

Military academy, they just kicked me out when i got ''too old''

Sounds cool. Can you give me an example of augmented reality in a factory?

The most popular implementation is maintenance or final montage processes. You can spawn a hologram of the part that need to be installed or fixed ontop of the machine.
But this is currently only used in training.
I worked on an approach for visualizing the airflows of an HVAC system and thereby gaining knowledge of how the system can be optimized for comfort.
This is also more like a training/audit application, but I think there will be better implementations in the future

That would give me work at least. I have 8 years experience and currently work in healthcare, so I'm not worried about my career. I'm just depressed because my last two years consisted of me doing nothing but full time work and school. I have no life while friends are off having awesome times without me. I had a breakdown not too long ago because of it.

I'm doing some web development shit, but hey at least it's easy AF and since college is free in my country it's better than working. I'm basically like a neet doing nothing, getting his As on tests. Literally I have more free time than when I was an 8-years-old. Really I'd rather commit suicide than to work more than 12h/week.

>Really I'd rather commit suicide than to work more than 12h/week.
Prepare to live on the streets sooner or later then.

I have a chem degree and a bio degree. Six months so far of looking for work in either field, hundreds of job apps. It really may be impossible to get a job. I have been applying all over the country too, not just in my area. I got rejected from the grad school I wanted to go to as well so it really might be over for me

For any people currently in college or just about to start your degree in one of these fields and wants to stay in it: get into a lab to do research. You need more than a year of research and at least one publication under your belt for grad school. You need to do internships during the summer. Your GPA is the last thing you should worry about.

What are the more useful degrees in your opinion?

I would say the classic degrees: Law, Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Engineers, Architecture, Teaching...

Just the classic professions that are going to be always needed. Until the automation takes over completely but I don't think that will happen how people say it will happen because it's impossible that the society works like that.

none. its 2019 the internet exists. only get a degree if its required by law, like MD or JD. and no a CS degree isnt needed for development, etc

Biology is the meme, not STEM as a whole...I'm finishing a double major in CS and Physics and I already have gotten several job offers paying over 100k for as soon as i graduate....

>partly a meme

100k job offers but no reading comprehension?

Structural Engineering
Job search was terrible and I couldn't compare to all the construction Chads who turned up to the interviews. Been NEET for 5 or so months now.
At least we had fun for 5 years at uni right?

>don't just go for a bachelor's in science

I'm illustrating that this is not necessarily true

I have a BA in Archaeology because I like it and really don't want to wageslave as anything else

Geology, when I got in I was told oil tycoons would pay be shit loads but when I got out I just ended up putting green shit in ground water to see where it goes. It's gay and not worth my while.
Masters, and I'm trying to see about starting on my PhD, because no one in my family has ever graduated so I wanna ride this train as far as it'll go.

Attached: 1546219659931.png (341x314, 151K)

But you don't have a bachelors in biology, so how would you know the struggle? You are in an entirely different field

Which degree is more valuable to your current job prospects? I'm physics myself but considering switching to CS. Or is double majoring worth it in your opinion?

Dropped out of a top 5 art school last year because it was a total meme.

Now about to start a 4 year Painting BFA program at another top 5 art school on a crazy scholarship. Not depressed anymore so the fact that it's a meme degree doesn't bother me as much anymore. If you know you're getting a bullshit degree, take advantages of the connections you make professionally while earning it because they will be exponentially more valuable than the degree itself.

>Drop out of CS after 2 years cause drugs and vidya
>Get to college again after 1 year
>Somehow manage to graduate with a shitty gpa.
>End up working as freelancer cause shit paying jobs in my country

welp

>take advantages of the connections you make professionally while earning it
Yeah that did not happen

Computer engineering
Tthe job market for it is way more saturated than "top 10 college degrees" articles would have you believe. Also it's honestly such a fucking boring, soulless job.

BA honours History

Mediocre gpa of 3.3 and too stupid for law school so I'm going to be poor for the rest of my life

How is economics useless? You learn statistics,finance, and marketing.

I have a CS degree with 6 months internship experience in the bay area and it's been 1.5 months since graduating with no job offers. What the fuck do I do?

Is there any degree that's NOT a meme degrees at this point?

I have yet to do so, but I am seriously reconsidering my plans for electrical/mechanical engineering, if only because I really dont feel like trying to suck a bunch of dick just to get a chance of making peanuts. Dont think ecology or even civil engineering is fairing much better either.
Might just become a machinist or something. Of course there is always computer/IT stuff as well.

>What the fuck do I do?
start with hrt

Law, medicine, and engineering might really be the only really reasons to go to school, but that's always been the case. Basically, if a degree didn't exist 200 years ago, it's a meme degree

should have gotten 12 months of internship experience

The first degree I got was philosophy, genuinely enjoyed it, wanted to go into lecturing, unfortunately, I dropped out of my masters halfway through because I couldn't afford it and ended up working meme tier broker/sales jobs.

After about two years of that, I did a law conversion course, and right now I'm just finishing up my LLM in International Trade law. I have enjoyed it tremendously.

Given how competitive legal jobs are, I might just get some funding and do a PhD, I kinda like the permastudent life.

Psychology.

It's not a meme degree per se, only in my country. Out there you can get decent pay in this career, but here I'm fucked and I regret my choice.

philosophy, 5 years, last year was 2 part times
not a waste of time because i am no longer dead to the world
now i am going to make some music

>make connections
This user gets it. The paper doesnt get you a job. People do. You could get a meme degree but knowing people and doing stuff makes up for it

kek
I never before imagined being blacklisted because of a degree found in a background check

English with an emphasis in professional writing and publishing. I thought I could get a job doing technical writing. I was wrong. I've been a neet for two months now and I want to die. Even my local library didn't want to hire me as a desk clerk. I should have gone to trade school. Fuck this gay earth.

Attached: 1561250087269.jpg (750x724, 101K)

>How is economics useless? You learn statistics,finance, and marketing.
It literally doesn't qualify me for anything, nobody cares about it. And like I said it is from the top ranked university in my state. For public unis it is top 10 in the country

Now what fucking job am i qualified for? Because i'm currently an underpaid codemonkey since i taught myself how to program and couldnt get a single job offer doing anything else

>At least we had fun for 5 years at uni right?
Yeah, that was the only thing that was worth it. The only thing.

Prepare to live in the streets too.

the employers think that a person with degree only will stay around till they find a better job and they dont want to hire somebody whos hiding something

In my first year doing that right now. Why the fuck do I need to know linear algebra for this shit AAAAAAAA

>take six years to earn math/cs double major
>no experience
>no internship
>all jobs are in silicon valley where a studio apartment costs $2,000/mo
>become NEET
>huge hole in resume
>can't work up the motivation to work on projects for experience
>self-esteem falls through the floor
>now believe I am actually retarded and will never achieve anything in life

Thoughts on econometrics?

guaranteed big money degree
but very difficult, would not advise you to do this if you're a brainlet

Wow, you sound just like me. I'm sorry.

Why do people spend so much time in college? Only benefit I see is meeting a girl, and that only happens if your attractive, tall, have alot of friends, money and luck.
But with those same things you could get a girl outside of college so why bother.

do you mean Anthropology? Are you doing grad school?

??? for a degree, obviously. having ANY Bsc is better than having none at all, even if it's a meme degree. it shows you're at least kinda smart. might not be the same in the US, where going to uni is really expensive but in other countries going to a tertiary school is pretty much essential to compete in the job market

Nice
My alternative was math so it's not like I was planning on taking it easy either way.

>Masters, and I'm trying to see about starting on my PhD, because no one in my family has ever graduated so I wanna ride this train as far as it'll go.
Don't make the same mistake again. Do it if it is going to have some utility, not just "to be the first graduate from your family or another symbolic shit".

chemical enigneering
i even interned and did research. over 80% of my graduating class cant find jobs. i wish i did compsci

Go to Uni in the UK
Studying at Politics and Policy BA, starting my third year in September. Thinking about doing a masters when I finish in research methods then do a PhD

>Also it's honestly such a fucking boring, soulless job.
And you didn't know that when you chose to study that degree???

These type of things are the things that so many people make a mistake. Including me. People go and chose a degree just because they like it and don't have any idea of what they are going to do afterwards or just a vague idea.

Political science w/ double minor in International Affairs/History
Graduated cum laude in 3 years, exploit the AP system to get all your gen ed out of the way

>I'd rather commit suicide than to work more than 12h/week.

I really don't understand this. I'm learning programming for the last 2 years (online courses) and can't wait to start a job in a bigger city, spending 40hours/week in the office, instead of my mom's place as a worthless neet, I'm 23 and I've been doing that for far too long

>the permastudent life.
Another classic thing of today's society. People being students for life. Continuous studying... People should be done studying at 25 at most. Ready to do some job.

Where do you live if I can know it?

dear faggot get your shit together, it's better to spend half your salary on rent (also I'm sure there are cheaper places) than post greentexts on an anonymous board for the rest of your life. and after couple of years experience the rent ain't gonna be a problem
please stop being a faggot for fucks sake

That's what my degree is in and it's totally useless. I'm preparing to become a nurse.

ASSociate in Opticianry.

Thought I would be doing a cool job filling Rx glasses and contacts but it's literally just retail. Pay is anywhere from $14-20 an hour. Fuck.

Attached: ThumbsUp Opticians Web.png (564x376, 329K)

Another biology here.
You won't get a job in biology unless you do more than a Bachelor's, and even after that it's pretty hard.
Hence I'm cutting my losses early and settling for the same jobs I would get as an English major.

What history jobs are there besides teaching? All I can think of is author or museum worker. Is historian a job of its own? What do you do?

Physics
5 years as of now, no cost for me involved. Let's see if I ever get a job.

If you're female or Chad, you don't need one. Why do you think the gangbangers, drug lords, and "reformed" bullies are richer than us?

I wasted 3 years getting a recording arts degree but dropped out because I couldn't handle the teachers obnoxious bullshit.

Looking back now that degree wouldn't have made any difference because the music scene is fucking dead where I'm at. So fuck college it's a scam.

I work at a shitty campus coffee shop. I'm probably going to get a tefl certificate so I can try to move to China or Japan long term.

If I can't do that, I'll probably look into selling insurance

>went to art school

Attached: 7A8B80E0-CB95-42D3-B812-4ECDC5180DF5.jpg (126x139, 21K)