My blog whether you like it or not

I just spent 2 hours installing 2GB of useless """"""updates""""" to try and get OpenGL to work properly.
And it didn't even work in the end!

Attached: 1521057205925.jpg (900x1189, 549K)

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

what? you do know that's just a matter of updating your GPU drivers, right?
or do you mean for programming purposes?

this

install gentoo

Came here to post this

I'm about to try smashing it against the wall desu.
Yeah. Apparently my graphics card only supports up to GL 1.1, which is absolute shite. So I can't use vertex/index buffer objects (which require 1.5), and those are really important. I really don't want to use immediate mode drawing....
I thought it was just out of date drivers. But it looks like my laptop is just THAT bad.
Eh, at least it can run OJ :^)

Attached: 1527186436673.png (160x160, 22K)

kernel panic

Attached: 1526929407781.jpg (850x708, 119K)

Yeah when I learned GPU programming I skipped immediate mode and went straight to learning VBOs. It's really hard to understand but once you get it it's *really* fun and powerful. Having max GL 1.1 is like, almost unheard of nowadays your laptop must be over a decade old tho?

Attached: 1523788855001.jpg (259x194, 8K)

Haha

I only got it last year, cause someone spilt cleaning fluid on my old one and it died. I don't think it's old, it's just cheap and shit I guess.
Immediate mode is pretty useless nowadays. Maybe I could create an abstraction that uses immediate mode on old GL versions and VBOs on newer ones? Seems like an awful lot of work for little payoff, and I don't know if that would even be feasible, graphics programming is really not my strong point...

Attached: just.png (385x234, 191K)

Well I don't know, it might help you learn a thing or two if you're not pressed for time. But what's the use if you don't have a machine to actually test the abstraction on? I made an abstraction layer myself that can switch between OpenGL, Vulkan and DirectX on the fly and it was fucking hard as fucking fuck. It easily ate away most of my free time for about a year and it's still not exactly 100% as it is

Oh no I have other machines it's just this one that is garbage. Unfortunately I don't have access to them until I am home tomorrow, or the day after or whenever. I just want something rudimentary that I can write and test the rest of the program logic and stuff with right now though, I could probably do that...
>I made an abstraction layer myself that can switch between OpenGL, Vulkan and DirectX on the fly
Sounds pretty useful, is it proprietary? If not pls post github.

Attached: 1526610237946.jpg (1024x1280, 239K)

It's meant to be opensource eventually as part of something larger but at the moment it's just a private little pet project between me and my friend. We still have fuckall for documentation though so until we make it more presentable to the public I doubt anyone outside of the two of us will really understand what the fuck is going on. But TL;DR we found modern OpenGL/DirectX/Vulkan lend themselves reasonably well to fit into an object-oriented system, or maybe an entity-component-based system or some other similar "object-separation" style of programming or however you would call it

Ah I see. Graphical stuff is one of the interesting areas where object models work really well I think.
What is the interface written in? If it has an interface yet, I mean.

Attached: flan on flan.gif (393x424, 132K)

>inb4 I start a flamewar
It's written in Java.

Attached: 1519280323159.gif (500x279, 465K)

Whatever you do, don't tell Jow Forums!

Was never really a big fan of Java myself, although I can see the appeal. Being innately crossplatform is nice.
Maybe the Android API just left a sour taste in my mouth lole.

Attached: IMG_20180225_213756.jpg (1796x2048, 468K)

Yeah my friend actually started the project and he just picked the language without much forethought and it never really gave us any issues. I have a good background in numerical math so I know pretty well how to optimize heavy calculations and shit. And he's just kind of a programming autist in general.

What are you trying to make anyway? Vidya?

Java is a simple language, which is nice, definately a good design choice there; not an unholy abomination like C++. I think I have more of a problem with the interfaces people write for it than the language itself, although not being able to address memory directly is a big let down for me.

I wanna make a Touhou/Rabi clone, I have a lot of ideas for gameplay and some ideas for implementation. I've never made a game before, thought it would be fun. Too bad I cant make textures and art and shit so it might not be very immersive, if I even finish it at all.
I was gonna do it in C but chose C# because I think I'd need object models and OO in C is a bit of a pain.

Attached: 1523378364620.png (561x641, 103K)

lots of game devs scoff at OOP but I kinda like it, even tho we don't always adhere to it in the strictest sense. It's definitely not a bad choice for "simple" games, altho no game can ever really be called "simple" honestly... If you wanna find an artist it might be worth digging through the internet there's plenty of talented people out there pining for a programmer to turn their work into something fun. Touhou definitely seems interesting I've never really thought about what would be the most fun and creative way to program those bullet hell patterns. I think there actually might still be room for innovation in there if you set your mind to it idk

Object models can be really useful, they can also be really harmful. It depends on the situation. No programming paradigm is inherently "bad" or "good", it all depends on what you're using it for. For example, using OO for a network stack would be silly, using OO for a filesystem would be smart.
I have a few cool ideas for bullet patterns (at least, I think they're cool) but I'm a little worried about the mathematics involved in implementing them. Unfortunately I'm quite dumb, a lot of mathematics, even basic transformations, goes over my head with ease.

Attached: 1526127706757.png (1199x898, 336K)

I'm not sure. I mean math is the only thing I'm kinda good at but I have no idea what kind of crazy patterns you might have in mind. I imagine you'd probably at least need to know how the different coordinate systems (cartesian/polar/parametric/..) work

I guess I'll cross those bridges when/if I come to them. I'm even more worried about graphical effects like particles and blur and such. Maybe shaders will be fun lole.
If I make something workable maybe I'll post it on here for people eventually.

Attached: 1527635264695.png (1024x768, 104K)

Heh same. If this place hasn't died out by the time I finally have something useful. good luck

Attached: 1516769055121.png (408x469, 194K)

Thanks~ Good luck to you too, friend.

Attached: Flandre1.png (250x351, 87K)

>bLOG

Attached: 1508167146101.png (630x623, 677K)

why don't you just write a shader for an already existing program like minecraft

Attached: 1525994402741.png (600x750, 261K)

Flan :3

Attached: tmp_30817-15262271935751924122768.gif (350x450, 1.48M)

That's actually not a bad idea last time I checked those suckers were still slowly working their way up to opengl 4.5. The poor sod of an engine ran in immediate mode for ages