/stoic/

Who /stoic/ here?
>Wake up everyday with the feeling that I know I'm going to be disappointed by something or something bad will happen to me
>When it happens, I've already mentally prepared myself for that so I don't feel anger or sadness anymore
>Try to just go through the day enjoying myself and being content and logical about my actions
>My mental health has actually improved, I don't feel depressed or wallow in self-pity, I'm just satisfied with what I have and try to make the best of it
>Other people are confused that I'm always calm and in control when bad shit happens to me

Attached: 8dfe7a53353771db3f9c5b8b6cf4910e.jpg (787x787, 70K)

It's a based philosophy used in modern therapy but kind of outdated.

Back then people had a sense of purpose but suffered a lot, stoicism helped them deal with suffering. Today people lack a sense of purpose although suffer less. The question becomes, what's even the point of dealing with this suffering? Stoic thinkers did view suicide as an option for people who have nothing to live for.

> Doesn't realize he will be dead in 80 years and wallows in pointless existential dread.
> Doesn't realize that literally 99.9% of humanity has had it worse than him over the history of the human race.
> Your purpose is to do a humans job, just as a Dog does a Dog's job and a Cat does a Cat's job.

I take certain aspects of Stoicism for myself like treating everyone fairly, not caring when others react to me in a way I did not want, sticking to what I believe in as long as it is rational, living only in the moment, and being honest with myself and others at all times. I can't go full Stoic tho.

Rooting yourself with a solid philosophy is the best advice for living in Clown World. The moment you stop letting your mind and soul get controlled by outside forces you suddenly feel like you can deal with anything.

Attached: 1540148539811.png (297x400, 135K)

>Stoic thinkers did view suicide as an option for people who have nothing to live for.
"It's a disgrace in this life when the soul surrenders first while the body refuses to." -Marcus Aurelius

Attached: st,small,215x235-pad,210x230,f8f8f8.lite-1u3.jpg (210x230, 7K)

Will it get me a gf? .,..,

I tried being stoic but it just turned me into a disingenuous person. sure it can help weather bad emotions, but it also blocks out all the good parts of being emotionally honest with people, particularly connecting with them on an emotional level. basically i found that i couldn't have any real relationships because people never knew what i was really feeling.

It not wise to base your happiness on a relationship, it can go wrong any moment.

Possibly.

Because you will no longer be bothered about the outcome.

Before the date, just imagine the date going horrendously as possible (like public humiliation bad) and you'll realize that it isn't really that much of a deal.

Also, you'll realize that you can only try your best, and that the outcome is not in your control. So by clinging to the outcome, you are basically torturing yourself.

Finally, you must also remember that you will be dead by 2100. Whether you have a GF or not in the present will not change that, so why the fuck not just try and be happy now whilst your here.

you could also be hit by a meteorite at any moment and lose your life, does that mean you shouldn't strive to be happy in life?

The fact that you could be gone at any minute is a reason to be happy. Why be depressed when you could be dead in a second. There is literally no reason.

Aurelius was clearly the worst and most privileged of the stoics though. Did he even understand suffering? Both Seneca and Epictetus considered suicide an option.

>most privileged
Yes, he was white and male.

None of this is any argument against suicide or what I said. "A human's job" is too vague to mean anything.

>the fact that you could die at any second is a reason to be happy
wtf

He was an Emperor of Rome.

That sounds privileged on paper, but I can assure you, a whole new level of suffering is formed when you take on this level of responsibility.

I also believe he starved himself frequently to fully understand bodily suffering.

Learn your place and do whatever you are supposed to do.

Keep in mind that Meditations was written while Marcus Aurelius was fighting near-constant wars on Rome's borders. This isn't the philosophy book of a pompous noble, this is the personal journal of a man who was not only fighting for his life but also the lives of millions of people he was personally responsible for.

If he can be a Stoic in that horrifically stressful situation, then you can do it robot.

Leave the house, form relationships, serve the community and put others before yourself.

Also, suicide is fucking retarded because you are going to die anyways.

I'm not suicidal personally but there are plenty of people who have reason to be so and dealing with suffering all depends on having a purpose, otherwise suicide is an option for those able to go through with it.

I'd much prefer you gave real stoic advice on the issue rather than one sentence that doesn't really mean anything.

swallow the pessimism pill sweetie

Exactly,

You could always be old, disabled and drinking food through a straw (and probably will be in 50 years).

lmao no thanks crab mentality btfo

You can't assume people are in a position to form relationships or even part of a community. Community as a thing has been dead in much of the west for decades.

Are you saying people should go out on the street with a sign saying "buying gf"?

Just don't shoot the place up when your dreams don't come true.

Thanks in advance.

You always have some duty with society. The west has not died, it was killed by people like you.

You can't tell people that their advice "doesn't really mean anything" when you are doing the same shit with "having a purpose."

What does that even mean?
Purpose for what? What are you even doing? Where are you? What does the community around you need? What are you good at?
All of these can be answered by your differently at different times of your life, thus you will never have "a purpose" but you should go life only doing things with a purpose. You follow?

Live in the present only. Forget the past and the future. Focus literally on the world you see around you right now, and then focus on what you are doing. That's all you gotta do.

All you would see if you're a typical robot are people who want nothing to do with you and are more than capable of providing for themselves. Like I said, "community" doesn't really exist anymore in the way that you're automatically part of something because of your geographical area.

Not everyone has a sense of purpose like an emperor. You haven't dealt with this issue yet in my opinion.

Community just means a group of people. Community cannot be dead as long as people are living together. Stoic philosophy is helpful in this regard as Ancient Rome in many ways was similar to our civilization today (Indifferent, Technologically Advanced, Multi-Cultural). Just try and help others and make yourself useful.

Why are you so obsessed with a GF anyways. Have you ever thought that it may be more trouble than it is worth. Maybe she is schizo. Maybe she will cheat on you. Maybe she will ruin your privacy. In fact, she will probably do of these things if you are not centered in yourself (which Stoicism helps with).

People aren't living together. People share public spaces mostly out of a practical necessity. They want nothing to do with a stereotypical robot on this board.

>>Wake up everyday with the feeling that I know I'm going to be disappointed by something or something bad will happen to me
how do you build the motivation to do anything with this mindset?
there's no point in doing something if you already believe it will fail.

You seem to not be grasping the entire point of Stoicism, mainly that you are supposed to only care about behaving logically and truthfully. That way you become content to just live. What other people think about you or what you do is literally irrelevant to your happiness if adopt this mindset.

It doesn't matter if you don't feel like anyone in your area likes you, you should still treat them with kindness because that is the logical thing to do.
If they end up liking you, it doesn't matter because you are happy with your own logical actions.
If they still hate you and ostracize you, it doesn't matter because you are happy with your own logical actions.

Where the fuck are you living.

If your answer is anything other than New York or Los Angeles or another hellscape megacity, you have no point to make.

Even if you do live in one of these places, you can volunteer, find a job, get 2-3 hobbies and find people similar to you.

>how do you build the motivation to do anything with this mindset?
user, motivation is more abut not going down than getting up.

>That way you become content to just live.
Life can be suffering for way more reasons than social status and you still haven't explained why suicide is illogical.

I'd like to hear how this manifests itself in your personal life. I bet you don't feel a sense of community at all and you're just arguing this as a philosophical idea.

It's not believing that it WILL fail. It is KNOWING that it COULD fail.

Trichotomy f control means your should
1) Concern yourself will things you have full control over (e.g. Health and Diet).
2) Do not concern yourself with things you have no control over (Political Situations).
3) Concern yourself with things you have some, but not full control over (Sport, Social Interactions, Business Success). Whilst concerning yourself with these things though, you have to internalize the effort. Just do your best and do not cling to the outcome.

I socialize often with friends.
I am part of 2 clubs that I do unpaid work for.
I coach sport to kids.
I am the best family member I can possibly be even though I have a very small family.

ect

all of that is the exact opposite of stoicism

Attached: 24121395._SY540_.jpg (540x540, 24K)

Somewhat. It's hard to go full stoic though my life would be a lot easier if I could. I've been reading Meditations and the part that really sticks with me is book 2 (I think)
>Today I will meet people who are meddling, ungrateful, malicious, aggressive etc
I always know that something could go worng with whatever I do and try to stay as humble as possible in day to day life but sometimes I can't help but be depressed and feel sorry for myself

All you've proven is that you're a normie when the discussion revolves around people that have nothing.

You're sound so privileged and comfortable in life you don't even need stoicism.

Suicide as a general act is illogical when you can keep on living, in the same way that refusing to drink water is illogical. You can go into specifics like "b-but what if you have cancer! b-but what if there is only salt water around!" but the fact of the matter is that if you aren't already convinced that suicide is your answer then it isn't.
>Life can be suffering for way more reasons than social status
...I think you're done here. You clearly don't care about learning about Stoicism if you really think it's about keeping you happy through fucking social situations. We're on Jow Forums, where everyone's problems are usually social, that's why we are focusing on it. We've barely touched on death and the fear of dying, when that is a huge part of Stoicism.

Refusing to drink water is illogical because thirst is suffering. If life is suffering, suicide is the equivalent of drinking water.

You're the one obsessing over social situations, I'm primarly focusing on purpose and meaning. If someone has no reason to live, suicide is 100% logical in my opinion.

just don't shoot up the place when you never really tried in life and end up a loser
Thanks in advance!

well basically yeah but i also embrace the coming collapse of society and the pointless class war coming, if i die i could care less.

how, user, would one go about being /stoic/?

I'm not as much of a committed stoic as others in the thread but my advice would be, start with studying famous Stoic philosophers. Marcus Aurelius is kind of the most well-known one definitely read meditations. Who is the best Stoic philosopher doesn't really matter as long as you get the core foundations of the philosophy down before discussing specifics

I'm somewhat of a stoic. There's nothing wrong with feeling, but life's really about discovering what has meaning to you.

No lol. Its a numbers game user

this.
>you've made your last delivery kid.
*shows you chad bone structure*
>sorry you got twisted up in this mess kid.
*shows you pedophile chad match*
>I know from where you're kneeling this must seem like an eighten carat run of bad luck.
*shows you 80-20 principle*
>truth is.
*shows you incels suicide rate*
>the game was rigged from the start.

Attached: German Soldier returning home Tony Vaccaro.jpg (1227x1600, 242K)

What a thread of retards. Use google you dumb faggot.