Conventional wisdom that doesn't even mean anything thread

>You can't love others if you don't love yourself
Wait really?? Ohhh shit I'm sorry grandma, I'm struggling with loving myself right now so I don't love you at all. You don't even have to think about this for 2 seconds to realize it's stupid. And yet it's usually considered good advice.

Attached: 1558840463324.jpg (640x732, 91K)

W I S D O M!

>Pen is mightier than the sword
but
>Actions speak louder than words

>Look before you leap.
but
>He who hesitates is lost.

>If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
but
>Don't beat your head against a stone wall.

>Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
but
>Out of sight, out of mind.

>Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today.
but
>Don't cross the bridge until you come to it.

>Haste makes waste.
but
>Time waits for no man.

>You're never too old to learn.
but
>You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

>It's better to be safe than sorry.
but
>Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

>Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.
but
>Nice guys finish last.

>Hitch your wagon to a star.
but
>Don't bite off more that you can chew.

>Don't judge a book by its cover.
but
>Clothes make the man.

>The squeaking wheel gets the grease.
but
>Silence is golden / Better to remain silent and be thouth a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

>Birds of a feather flock together.
but
>Opposites attract.

>Winners never quit.
but
>Quit while you're ahead.

>Many hands make light work.
but
>Too many cooks spoil the broth.

>What will be, will be.
but
>Life is what you make it.

>The early bird gets the worm.
but
>The second mouse gets the cheese.

That quote is about romantic love, retard.

>Just be yourself
>"NO NOT LIKE THAT"
>Just have confidence
>"Ugh, that creep is so brazen and arrogant"

imagine being this mad from someone telling you to just be yourself

autism
all of you

>just work out
>lmao manlet overcompensating, napoleon complex much?

>You can't love others if you don't love yourself
It means if you're a depressed sack of miserable shit that can't even treat yourself right how the fuck are you going to be able to treat anybody else in a loving way?
Christ I love coming here and seeing you goddamn pseuds piss and moan because you're too goddamn stupid to live.

based post. can't wait till boomers and their platitudes die off

Your grandma is a blaspheming witch. You can't love others if you don't love God.

>You don't even have to think about this for 2 seconds to realize it's stupid. And yet it's usually considered good advice.
It is indeed. A better version is you cant love others if you hate yourself, what said basically

>be yourself
Doesn't mean that incels think it means. It doesn't mean whoever you are is fine it means don't pretend to be someone you're not. It doesn't preclude actually changing to become something better.

>ITT INTP autismo anons taking conventional wisdom literally

WHAT A FUCKING SURPRISE

Attached: 1531618045968.jpg (244x295, 32K)

>B-BUT I'M NOT INTP

Attached: 1513487775688.png (576x507, 59K)

Then it's a completely meaningless platitude. If you're a neckbeard at heart, then "be yourself" is just deleterious.

based and anti-boomer pilled

>being on the Jow Forums when not INTP
There's a reason we hate myer's briggs threads.

Love for relatives is entirely different to love towards a romantic interest, and the saying is true. Don't be such a brainlet.

Even then it's retarded.

>it's YOUR fault an axiom isn't universally applicable to fringe demographics
Incels are just like SJWs: both are retarded and both need to be shot.

You think this because you hate yourself too much.

These aren't axioms, they are slogans. Thats why you can have contradictory ones, just pick whichever fits after the fact

Don't change the subject you little faggot. I'm specifically talking about "be yourself" and since you can't defend being an autismo you're trying to subtly shift the goal posts.

Pen = Expression = action

Reductionist brainlet

1. I am not that person, you little faggot autistic sperg sperm.
2. The "be yourself" wisdom is contradicted by all the self improvement wisdom, because to improve yourself you have to change yourself, and thus you are no longer "being yourself", you are making yourself other (supposedly better).
3. All proverbs and conventional "wisdom" is slogans, thats why they are so contradictory. They have no power as advise, as you can always use wisdom to advise all the possible actions. They are only used for fags to gloat and I TOLD YOU SO after the thing is done.
4. Recycle yourself into leather and fertilizer, you useless sack of shit.

Lol this has never happened to you fat fuck

>he makes a list
>he was so shook he started copying my insults
>his counter points are all retarded
Improving yourself is still being yourself you disgusting little subhuman. "Be yourself" is a brutal black pill incels refuse to take because it confirms that they're the problem in their life, not others.

The people who need advice are almost always the people for whom it doesnt work. So when the advice it's given, it's no use.

If your life will be fixed by "be yourself", then you are currently not being yourself.
So it isn't yourself that is to blame for your current situation.
So the opposite of what you are saying is true.

Basically you are retarded and don't make any sense and, for real dude, recycle yourself. We need those materials to build more useful things.

Attached: (You).jpg (750x707, 59K)

>be yourself
>everyone else hears: don't pretend to be something you're not
>incels hear: never change, ever, there is nothing wrong with you
>REEEE WHY THE FUCK DOES THIS ADVICE I MISINTERPRETED AND MISAPPLIED NOT WORK FUCKING NORMIESSSSS

This is some SJW there-are-infinite-genders tier retardation. You don't exist on a spectrum where the slightest deviation away from some autistic parameters creates an entirely new person. The most disgusting part of your posts, though, is how adamant you are about being right. Happens a lot with incels it seems. Dunning-Kruger. In the same way you're too stupid to swim for the surface, or to even swim, you're too stupid to realise how foolish you are. Out of everyone here you might be the least redeemable. Good luck.

>everyone else hears: don't pretend to be something you're not

Which is the fucking problem you normie cunt. If you're a schizoid who doesnt like human contact, then thats not gonna work and you actually have to be something you are not.

>>You can't love others if you don't love yourself
This is bullshit logic, true, but there is a touch of real logic.

The normie will mean this line in that you must love yourself and want the best for yourself, blah blah blah. Not necessarily narcissism. Just that, yes, you love you. Unchecked it leads to narcissism and this degenerate me-first mentality the West is infected with.

For the robot who probably hates himself or at least lacks the normie's self-love ability, it is enough to IMPROVE yourself.

If you don't give a shit about yourself you tend to:
-get fat/skinny
-neglect personal hygiene
-not taking care of bodily issues like not getting a haircut which complements your features or acne or whatever
-wearing whatever is comfy, not necessarily complimenting your body type, or basic fashion sense.
-not live a heathly lifestyle (i.e. not enough sleep, food isn't nutritious, etc)

See, the normie, who loves himself or herself, will be constantly thinking things like "ooh what haircut will make me look great", "oh what cut of shirt or jeans is best for me", "oh maybe my teeth could be a bit cleaner, better go to the dentist", "oh better not have that extra serving my ass is too big".

So, while a robot might recoil in horror at loving the mess that he is and feel biting disgust at this normie advice which out of his grasp and thus a source of bitterness, you can STILL hate yourself AND work on improving yourself. Hate is still an energy and that can push you to change a bit. And frankly living like a normie regarding health, clothing, maintaining a clean body is not that hard.
t. guy who has been thinking about this stupid piece of advice for legit 2 years now.

See
Do you waste everyone's time by being an insufferable, obtuse faggot? Also being a schizoid who dislikes human contact isn't a death sentence to getting laid or having meaningful romantic relationships. Yet another excuse.

This is some angry autist lmao

>everything i don't like is autism
>and because my parents did a shit job raising me i think everyone who is honest is angry
Have sex. I mean, you can right?

Attached: 1563010005897.png (720x634, 339K)

Experience taught me that this means the following. If you date someone who in some personal deep shit and is not self-loving, they tend to take you with them into it. It means that whole relationship revolves around their shit

>everything happens for a reason

I hate that one

>everything i don't like is autism
thats literally your argument itt m8

>mom: are you happy?
>Me: That doesn't really mean anything
>mom: what do you mean?
>me: happiness is an emotion. No one is happy all the time just like they aren't excited, nervous, scared, etc, all the time
>mom: yea but....are you happy, though?
What the fuck is this npc shit? She acted like I was trying to be philosophical or something and I was just saying it straight with no filler. Right to the point and she couldn't seem to grasp that.

Attached: 1547942047628.jpg (250x241, 7K)

She asked you to make her happy by speaking a few words. She doesn't give a shit how you feel, as long as you outwardly project happiness, so she can feel well about you.

Good to know you've given up entirely. Rethink your life and good luck again

Autism

kek are you the faggot who doesn't understand what be yourself means or are there just this many carbon copy angry faggots around who think negatively all the time?

>Autism
Hmmm...

This

How inept do you have to be to not understand these concepts. Its genuine autism

Happens a lot. A lot.

You got btfo mate. Grow up self diagnosed "schizoid" aka probably just some faggot who needs to go outside

She means in general you turbo autists
>ohh im too smart and deep for my npc mother
Next time you think that just assume you're wrong

I am not that person, nor a schizophrenic, and I am posting from my office, where I am paid 4x average monthly wage for the country to watch Youtube videos. Keep seething though :)

Why don't you just quit being a sensitive little bitch who is looking for the first outside negative interaction as an excuse to continue wallowing

>I am not that person, nor a schizophrenic, and I am posting from my office, where I am paid 4x average monthly wage for the country to watch Youtube videos. Keep seething though :)
>I am not that person, nor a schizophrenic
You're something, weirdo

>It means if you're a depressed sack of miserable shit that can't even treat yourself right how the fuck are you going to be able to treat anybody else in a loving way?Christ I love coming here and seeing you goddamn pseuds piss and moan because you're too goddamn stupid to live.
This 1000 oregano times

>breing specific is autism
>generally

I'm "generally" indifferent.

I'm 30 years old. I dont need to pretend to be anything for anyone. And I'm not depressed or a robot, btw. I just like some of the humor on this board sometimes.

Do you have a roof? Running water? Food?
Inb4 boomer platitudes. But you should learn to be more grateful. "generally indifferent" you sound like an edgy kid. Do you even pay bills?

Nott trying to put you down, i just want to point out how ridiculous you sound to normies when you try to come off like you live in a soviet bloc

I have my own house. Indifferent isnt edgy. Do you think it's normal to feel great all the time? Also my mother has depression issues so I think shes projecting that on to me and she takes happy pills so theres that

>Do you think it's normal to feel great all the time
Nah you just sound a little dull. Maybe she is just projecting, but as a user your indifference could fester into something worse. If your mom was concerned maybe theres truth in it. Maybe you just need some excitement, idk

sword=action
pen=words
YOU FUCKING DUMB SCUMBAG SHIT FUCK YOU CUNT DIEDIE BRAINLET TIE A NOOSE FAGGOT AND DIE FAGGOT RETARD

It's because they apply, for the most part, in different situations and circumstances. Some others are downright stupid though.

Example:
>Pen is mightier than the sword
Education, especially in the past, opened many doors to influence the world. On a greater scale, one can also say that words can move masses, if done correctly.
>Actions speak louder than words.
This one, however, is used in regards to the evaluation of character. If you wish to know one's intentions (positive or negative), it's better to look at their actions rather than their words precisely because people can lie.

Both apply in their respective context.

Stupid ones are for example:
>Don't cross the bridge until you come to it.
>Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
>Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.
>Don't judge a book by its cover.

>they are true when they are true
This is the case with all bad advise. It is good advise in the concept where it would be true, but you can't know in advance. You are basically making a non-statement here.

>mom (stupid low IQ normie): how are you?
>Me (enlightened being): That doesn't really mean anything
>mom (absolute NPC moron): what do you mean?
>me (self-aware intellectual): I am human. No being's fundamental properties are fleeting just like how a ball is spherical or parallels are disconnected etc
>mom (total loser imbecile): yea but....how are you, though?
My mother is a retard just like yours. We were just born too smart, nothing you can do about it, kiddo

Attached: 1557130954220.png (840x854, 412K)

>You are basically making a non-statement here.
Not really because you are dismissing that advice is not reliant on permanent validity, but almost in all cases given under specific circumstances, hence why we have professions such as legal or civil advisors.

The point here is the following: Just because something is true doesn't mean that everyone is aware of its truth, hence why the advice is there to guide people into the right direction if the conditions for said advice are met.

Attached: saddamreaction.jpg (308x466, 16K)

The point is the following: Before we see the outcome, you don't know if "the early bird gets the worm" or "good things happen to those who wait". These can only be declared in hindsight. One is declared if we miss the opportunity, the other is declared if waiting gives us better terms. These slogans have no predictive power, they aren't advise, they are quips.

>These can only be declared in hindsight.
That would only be the case if you weren't able to learn from other people's mistakes. Or are you suggesting that every situation is so unique that patterns can't emerge?

Proverbs aren't accurate reading of patterns, as shown by how many contradictory "traditional wisdom" statements there are.

The contradiction lies in the misapplication, not the proverbs themselves.

The misapplication is only diagnosed after the fact. These have no predictive power. You only realize which proverb you needed after you no longer needed.
I won't respond further, since you are going in circles, and not saying anything.

Wisdom means everything you grandma hater. Without wisdom you are lost.

I feel like many of these are not really contradictions.
For example Look before you leap and He who hesitates is lost. To look before you leap is not hesitation. Hesitation is when you have all the facts but you cannot arrive at the conclusion. To look before you leap means you ought to gather the facts before coming to a decision.

That's with regards to romantic relationships retard. Damaged people should sort their shit out before being with someone.

He who never steps on other people's toes is standing still.

>Do you have a roof? Running water? Food?
Why do people act like these are rare difficult to acquire things? Almost everyone has food, shelter and internet. The ones that don't are drug addicts

Girlfriends aren't rare and difficult to acquire either.

Have sex. Have fucking sex. Make it happen, just have sex.

yes this happened to me, I had to stop working out anyway due to a shoulder injury so now I'm just short

Man no wonder you fags turned out the way you did. You guys are too retarded to think.

god won't love you unless you are catholic