Im confused how can you get any answer other than 1????

im confused how can you get any answer other than 1????

Attached: idontunderstandd.png (464x481, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/J0hDuCa_KlY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations#Mixed_division_and_multiplication
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplication#Implicit
youtu.be/LxRWIGJ9C50
youtu.be/PkM7z2L4elo
youtu.be/QlMNRbhbvss
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>he doesn't get 84 as the answer
user I don't....

Attached: jkanfkjndakjfnakj3iunjkml.jpg (300x250, 79K)

youre seriouslly fucking stupid oh my god

Attached: 43215723457239845723.png (680x335, 6K)

Because when you get to "8 / 2 * 4" you do it left to right and get 16

Either bait or retard but if bait ill bite
Pemdas is written that way, but it doesnt fully go that way
The true order of operations is
>Parenthesis
>exponents
>multiplication/division
>addition/subtraction
For the last 2, even though multiplication comes before division in Pemdas, you do equations left to right, so if a division came before a multiplication, youd do the division first. Same idea with addition and subtraction
So in pic related, you dont so 2x4 then divide that by 8, since multiplication and division are done at the same time, you do left to right, dividing 8 by 2 first to get 4, and then multiplying 4 by 4 to get 16.
People say its a paradox or some shot but its not, mult and divide are done together, left to right. Same as add and subtract.
If i had 2/4x6, even though M comes first in Pemdas, i do both Mult and Divide at the same time so i just read it right to left
The true way pemdas works is
(P)
(E)
(MD)
(AS)
Those together are read left to right, regardless of whats first.

You do the " ( ) " first and then the whole thing from left to right, i don't see what other answer can you get besides 16

congratulations on failing math

Attached: brainlet.png (211x239, 4K)

>another underage poster
Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally user, remember it and you'll make it through 8th grade.

Hey it's alright user, the world needs ditch diggers.

you forgot to carry the one

you literally got the right answer calm down nigger

The answers is 1 because there is no sign in between the 2 and the parenthesis, which means you have to multiply everything in the parenthesis by 2
8/2(2+2)
8/(4+4)
8/8

>The answers is 1 because there is no sign in between the 2 and the parenthesis
fail
a multiplication sign is implied

8 / 2 * (2 + 2)

8 / 2 * 4
4 * 4 = 16

This is the correct answer given two rules:
1) operator precedence
division, multiplication (including bracketed), addition and subtraction in left-to-right order
2) left-to-right order

If you apply the usual rule however where bracketed multiplication has higher precedence than division, you get:

2(2 + 2) = the bracketed addition needs to be computed first = 2*4 = 8
which gives:
8 / 8 = 1

If you don't understand the usual systems of operator precedence you'll get other answers, but 16 and 1 are the only correct answers according to any sensible system of operator precedence. If you have a system that produces any other result feel free to share it and be willing to modify the open-source version of a expression evaluator to compute the result based upon your rule specifications.

Note that the multiplication precedence rule applies in equations with variables as well as bracketed sub-equations.

So: 10 / 4x = 10 / (4 * x)

Which differs from C dialect operator precedence where divisions are always going to happen first.

The reason for this rule is constants are treated as a "type of" variable. So any number that is part of the equation could be replaced by a symbol... they're the same thing.

c = 4
x = 8
1 / 3x + 2c(10 + c) =
(1 / (3 * x)) + (2 * c * (10 + c)) =
(1 / (3 * 8)) + (2 * 4 * (10 + 4)) =
(1 / 24) + (8 * 14) =

112 + (1 / 24)

If that isn't clear via intuition, the reason is scaling constants or variables by integers is such a common thing that it wouldn't make any sense to have division carry precedence over "bracketed" (constant or immediate touching a variable or bracketed sub-equation) multiplications.

You'd almost always end up with more brackets and more complex equations... try it out yourself. Look through as many equations as you can come up with and try to figure out what would make them as short as possible. You should find the common precedence rule yields the shortest equations.

The "/" operator is left associative.

You're assuming a C dialect while that's not actually specified. According to the common rule, bracketed multiplications have higher precedence because a human is interpreting the equation, not a lexical analyser. So optimizing the analysis is not important like it was for processing C or other computer languages back in the day.

youtu.be/J0hDuCa_KlY

>do brackets first
>go left to right
16, when both multiply and division in the same line you do the left side first.

Computation and programming is woman-work much like peeling potatoes or changing diapers.

Attached: swirlsofswonder.jpg (1280x720, 491K)

>when both multiply and division in the same line you do the left side first.
That's incorrect for bracketed multiplication. How many Jow Forums users have graduated middleschool? Isn't this like, grade 8? Basic rules of algebra?

Attached: passu.jpg (588x331, 20K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations#Mixed_division_and_multiplication
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplication#Implicit

My pelvic vector is inflamed at the implication!

Attached: Kakegurui-Image-5.jpg (1301x733, 96K)

Ambiguous order operation is for niggers and you'll never see it in anything above grade school maths

It's not actually ambiguous, because the general rule in such a situation (that allows for implied multiplication against the bracketed sub-equation) is that such a multiplication has higher precedence than division.

On paper there would be 8 over the rest, and it would be a lot clearer than you must compute the top and bottom of the bar BEFORE you do the division. Since the multiplication would be part of the divisor it would be computed first.

Attached: rubitwipeitflushit.jpg (800x526, 86K)

1 is the right answer retard this is grade school shit

Because division and multiplication have the same priority, so you do them in order from left to right. pic related, I wrote it another way so it's brainlet proof

It would be 1 if it was written as 8/[2.(2+2)] instead
>8/[2.(2+2)]
>8/[2.4]
>8/8=1

>t. not a brainlet

Attached: retard.png (1372x613, 18K)

Fuck off, the 16 gang will murder you

Are you high right now? Holy fuck.
youtu.be/LxRWIGJ9C50

Attached: duh.png (800x600, 16K)

I literally just told you that division and multiplication must be done in order from left to right, you absolute brainlet. What's so difficult to understand about that?

Attached: 1234.jpg (900x729, 99K)

because apparently
>2(4)
>wtf there is no parentheses

So you're saying you're home-schooled and mentally retarded? You've never seen a real equation before?

Smell my waifu's pork flavored broccoli braps you fiend!

Attached: black_brap_maid.jpg (1280x720, 116K)

the syntax here is ambiguous.

It is not a matter of operator precedence; it's a matter of what constitutes the denominator. Using a / is ambiguous, because it's not clear if the part in brackets is part of the denominator (in which case it should be multiplied by the two) or not (in which case it should be multiplied by the 8, making the answer 16)

To remove the ambiguity, you should either use a horizontal line instead of a / (so you can see how far it extends) or use brackets.

youtu.be/PkM7z2L4elo

Attached: Jazmine_dubois.jpg (1264x700, 99K)

The part that eliminates ambiguity is the implicit multiplication against the bracketed sub-equation. There is no set of rules of precedence anywhere in the world where there would be any ambiguity here... except maybe in the minds of the uneducated.

8/2(2+2)=x simple enough
8/(2+2)=2x just gonna clear that up huh
8=2x(2+2) hell yeah
8/2=[2x(2+2)]/2 remember to factor out
4=x(1+1) lookin good
4=2x uh huh
x=2 and there we go. Was that SOOO hard, user? ugh. You idiots, sometimes

HOES MAD! AY! HOES MAD! HOES MAD! AY! HOES MAD! HOES MAD!

Attached: 1556583031093.jpg (265x300, 46K)

Implied multiplication is shit and treating it with more precedence is retard tier. Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit. There is no rule that says implied multiplication next to parentheses should be done before anything else, only that operators within should be done first.

Like I said, the minds of the uneducated. Go back to whatever burger flipping job you do.

You're literally retarded and doing math at a middle school drop out level

Do you have a real reason for believing that or are you just trying to cope with how wrong you are?

did you just just tell us we're idiots when you're clearly unable to do simple maths? Respect the fucking calculation order! 8/2(2+2)=8/2*4=4*4=16. ffs

>IF I CALL HIM RETARDET THAT MEANS ME WIN AND HIM NOT BIG SMART BOY LIKE ME IS HEHEHEH
IF THERE ARE NO BRACKETS TELLING OTHERWISE, THE CONVENTION STATES THAT YOU SHOULD DO DIVISIONS AND MULTIPLICATIONS IN ORDER FROM LEFT TO RIGHT. THERE IS NO AMBIGUITY

THEREFORE 8/2.(2+2) CAN ALSO BE WRITTEN AS (8/2).(2+2). 8/2 MUST BE SOLVED BEFORE 2.4 AS IT COMES BEFORE IN THE LEFT-TO-RIGHT ORDER

YOU WOULD ONLY DO THE MULTIPLICATION IF THERE WERE BRACKETS TELLING YOU TO DO SO. AS IN 8/[2.(2+2)], WHICH IS EQUAL TO 1

HOW CAN YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THIS YOU DOUBLENIGGER

Attached: (you).jpg (720x303, 27K)

Yet I'm still right, and I showed you a full mathematical proof of why that is the case. You on the other hand, simple piffle and childish insults! Ha! I'm smarter. Prove it is not 2. You cannot.

See these posts which explain it.
And this commentary:
And this article:
And further commentary:
1e54x on the braps.

Attached: rightyo.jpg (1280x720, 118K)

Show me the full proof

Here, just watch this:
youtu.be/QlMNRbhbvss

Attached: bunnyd.jpg (1000x667, 52K)

Read the post again, stupid.

You are stupid. I did it on a calculator in both possible implied formats just so you can't pull some faggotry on me.

Attached: 2isWrong.png (1007x386, 27K)

That's just proof that you're a retarded brainlet

But am I stupid enough to get trolled?

>hurr durr I was only pretending to be retarded
Fuck off.

it's 0.5 and you're all actually retarded

Fight me in Guitar Hero you shit eater! Let's go I'l rip your head right off and shit down your neck!

Attached: koolaid_body.jpg (1100x450, 91K)

>idiots were taught wrong so that makes it the right way
No.

>implying you can flawless buckethead
i'm going to rock your world you won't be a virgin anymore when i'm done with you neckbeard and you'll remember it fondly

>you won't be a virgin anymore when i'm done with you
I'll hold you to it.

well, typically the denominator is explicitly stated when you write a math equation, since you contain the entire denominator under the division bar. in this format, however, it's simply an operation, and multiplication has the same precedence as division, so you do them in order left to right. in other words, you're doing 8/(2*4) when it's actually (8/2)*4 = (4)*4 = 16, per the standard rules of precedence. such rules are arbitrary, however, and this answer is only correct because it's implicit that those are the rules you're following

i don't know if this is bait

Attached: IMG_20190802_044923_667.jpg (1280x1280, 77K)

IT ISN'T WRITTEN CORRECTLY. THE GAS TO BE PARENTHESES. IS IT UNDER THE DESIGN OR BEING MULTIPLIED TO THE REST OF THE EQUATION, YOU CAN'T KNOW

And soon after I'm satisfied with my (You)s and I act normally.

But soon after, you can't be less of a spastic autist.

I guess you could say that it all WORKS OUT for me in the end.

It's written exactly for its purpose user- to bait retards who can't do maths, and people who can to show off their math skills by shitting on said retards. No one would ever write it like this if not for baiting purposes.

I really don't understand what the fuss is all about. With the help of algebra, the answer is clearly 1

Attached: maths.png (402x902, 17K)

You fucking brainlet, you simplify the equation before finding the solution. You do the fucking maths. And it turns out that x(in my example z) = 16.
x/y(y+y)=z
x/y(2y)=z
(x/y)2y=z
x*2=2x=z

8/2(2+2)=z
8/2(2*2)=z
(8/2)*(2*2)=z
8*2=16=z