Was this the last good year? Or was it the start of the downfall?

Was this the last good year? Or was it the start of the downfall?

Attached: 14462459.jpg (1024x768, 31K)

Shit started going downhill in 2004 honestly.

when internet was spread , dunno what year.

Attached: idiocrahed.jpg (1100x618, 42K)

Most people who post here now can't even remember 2004

2007 was good too. 2008 and 2009 were okay but it really declined from after 2007.

true, I came here in 2019 after all

Attached: 1560736537384.jpg (1150x1266, 134K)

I get my knowledge from looking at media and statistics from that time period.

2004 is when le epic degenerate party and drink culture started. Before that it was mostly just ravers dropping MDMA and LSD.

2014-2016 was pretty good imo

It was shitty unless you were lucky enough to be part of the right subcultures, then it was probably kinda good.

It all started going down hill during the Big Bang, everything since is just a reaction to what happened prior.

2007/8 were the last good years. Things got bad in 2009 and died in 2010. The 2010s have been awful, we've got to power through 5 more months of this shit. Hopefully, the internet will go back to having comfy web designs again.

1999. The internet bubble burst in 2000. Post 1999internet is normie garbage.

by what metrics?

2000 - mainstream music starts going to shit but you can find good music on the internet
2001 - "golden glow" feeling of the 90s comes to an abrupt halt with 9/11 and war in afghanistan
2003 - additional war in Iraq
2005 - possibly local high, myspace era
2007 - huge market crash/recession, iphone, facebook, tumblr launch
2008 - nigger president (some people liked it)

imo things started going to shit after the market crash and facebook took off, so 2005-2007 were the last "good years", but the realization of what a cesspit everything is becoming didn't hit until around 2013

>2000 had shitty mainstream music

Attached: FA820390-6493-45FD-8377-6290EA237701.jpg (690x636, 76K)

>2000 - mainstream music starts going to shit but you can find good music on the internet

Mainstream music started going to shit around 1994 when Green Day got popular and went full retard around 1998 when Numetal got big and people bought My Own Prison instead of Yield.

Mainstream music went to shit in 2002 when Kelly Clarkson got popular with all the unattractive middle aged women

>It was shitty unless you were lucky enough to be part of the right subcultures,
you could say this about virtually any era though. 60s are still remembered for their hippies, 50s for their greasers and beatniks, 90s had a good alt rock scene etc.

This is absolutely correct. 1994-97 was when derivative crap like Alanis Morissette started happening, but it was nothing compared to the shitfest that was 98-01, the era that gave us Backstreet Boys, nsync, autotune, Creed, Britney, Insane Clown Posse, Kid Rock, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Smash Mouth and Woodstock 99. There's some good albums from that time, but the top 40 stuff was cringe as hell

1989-1991 was a turning point for the better - USSR collapsed and Japan's bubble popped (europe and china were background noise at this time). The top military and economic threats were eliminated and everyone in the West chilled for a decade

2001 was turning point for the worse with 9/11 and 2007 was another turning point by laying the foundations for social media and web2.0

now we have intractable, unresolved/unresolvable problems with racism, "white privilege", immigration, obesity, climate change, aging population, automation, outsourcing of jobs, these problems are not going to go away and there's another big market crash looming (it's been 10 years since the last one) which means everyone will get poorer and madder

Attached: 1551885115201.jpg (1200x941, 90K)

>Mainstream music went to shit in 2002 when Kelly Clarkson got popular with all the unattractive middle aged women

But the boy bands before her were fine? Can I have what you're smoking?

I think 2008 was genuinely the last good year.

>he still thinks it will get better next year

the emergence of social media ca. 2006/2007 is what caused the internet to go to shit but we only saw the effects a few years later
I'd say ~2011 is when we all started hating each other and the normies arrived in full force, colonizing our world without even noticing there's a culture they're destroying here

I was 5 and that was probably the happiest I have ever been so yes.

I don't think it will get better, but I want it to

This. 90s was the peak of total American cultural, economic, and military hegemony.
Nerd culture still truly existed and actually was for weirdos and people outside mainstream culture. The internet was only for people like that.

Back 2014 around the time of that whole Zoe Quinn and fappening shit I remember reading an article by a guy in his 40s saying that back in 90s the whole internet was a lot like old Jow Forums. Full of weirdos.

The last good year was the year before I entered puberty. Even the fun old Internet of then was nothing more than a cope to deal with my nonexistent social life that left me crippplingly socially retarded forever.

Attached: cool.jpg (130x234, 6K)

We will look back at the 2010s as the era when the smartphone just took over peoples lives. SJW idpol became powerful and identity politics in general just became the focus of political debate.

I wonder what the 2020s will bring?
The 21st century has been kinda lousy so far.

I always lump 2008 and 2009 together. Barely any difference between them

9/11 and the war in Iraq were the turning point.
When Blair got elected in 1997, things seemed so positive, and even though I was only 8, I remember it well. Then there was all the excitement about the Millennium and times were good. Then once 9/11 and the Iraq war happened all you saw on TV were protests and anger, things really went downhill fast and the comfiness was over.

Attached: 1563842685059.png (750x1334, 1.69M)

>I wonder what the 2020s will bring?
Poverty measures disguised as ecological being pushed on the population, such as "consuming meat contributes to climate change".

It might have seemed bad at the time, but 2002 to 2006 turned out to be a golden era compared to now since the iCancer and Instagram didn't consume peoples lives

Twitter drove the nail in the cultural coffin. Now every pleb could voice his opinion and have it seen to the world, which was fine, until it was deemed that those opinions should be taken with as much importance as anyone else's on any subject. Then once it became apparent that you could effectively ruin people's lives if they didn't hold the same views as you, it was game over. Now anyone who doesn't conform to those viewpoints has to keep their mouths shut.

2014 and 2015 were absolute dogshit years and a lot of people will cringe when they look back at them.

No. If there is one "objectively" last good year, that has to be 2000.

Nah probably 2011

>9/11 ruined murica