Internet Culture

Why does Internet culture suck such shit nowadays? Everything is buried behind layer upon layer of irony and overall fakeness that it physically hurts to visit any website that isn't incredibly niche.
It feels like normfags try way too hard to be wannabe comedians on whatever site they're on. Not every interaction online needs to be full of "witty one-liners" and you don't always need to out-funny the original poster. It's always shitty Tumblr humor too; you know, add caps to emphasize the "joke" and throw in le random observations.
Jow Forums isn't innocent of being complete shit either. It feels like any board that isn't as niche as /po/ is filled with bait threads made for the sole reason of OP thinking their fucking hilarious. That combined with all the shitty, low effort threads that should be fucking purged the second they get posted, and it makes this site harder to want to come back to. "White boi" threads in Jow Forums, "You are buying her game, right?" threads in /v/, "OHNONONO" threads on Jow Forums, and so on and so forth.
Finally, this sense of irony that normfags cover themselves in gets really hard to watch. You can't genuinely, whole-heartedly enjoy/care about something nowadays, or else you risk being called "cringe" or being spammed with "have sex" or some other shitty phrase faggots like to spew. For gods sake, enjoy things, but everything needs to be a punchline in these peoples' lives.
I don't get it anons. Why does everything seem so disingenuous nowadays. Or am I just too cynical? I enjoy making jokes, and having a good laugh, but it doesn't need to be all the time, and I think that desire normfags have to be constantly funny is a big reason Internet culture as a whole is going to shit.

Attached: 031eac39a45e13081bb1df7b4de36712--serial-experiments-lain.jpg (720x960, 77K)

I miss the old internet and how everyone had their own personal websites. A lost art desu

And no, neocities "vaporwave" meme sites don't compare

You are growing older, internet only gets younger

I have experienced internet culture. The real internet culture. It's still alive if you know where to look for it. But it's really not worth finding. Internet culture is backed by people who don't really have anything to do IRL. Most of the time it's populated with people who have a very strong opinion on free speech, which is respectable. Problem is, this distinct love of free speech among internet historians and internet cultures aficionados tends to lead to extreme toxicity being prevalent in their communities. This toxicity leads to the group getting to know each other very well, eventually turning on each other, and the entire space falling apart. Anonymity helps to alleviate this problem, but it introduces the problem of nobody knowing each other, and the sense of community not existing. This breeds elitism, which you can see on this board, /a/, and elsewhere.

Most of the time internet culture starts out good, but quickly destroys itself. What you want it really simple:

>A group of friends
>Who hang on the Internet
>Have a nice laugh every now and then, but can have serious, intellectual discussions now and then.

These groups crop up all the time, but they always eventually die, just like in real life. Enjoy your time on the internet. Explore it and adventure the unknown. Meet interesting and unique people who are crazy, interesting, insane, or stupid. Just have fun with it and don't obsess over quality or oh see or other stupid shit.

Attached: 1521982612948.jpg (640x628, 55K)

I've been working on my own website actually. I've never done web design before, so it's been a great learning experience. I agree though, vaporwave isn't the same as the old web. It has a lot of the same elements, but it comes across as a lot more disingenuous and the overall feeling is really off.
Check out my site if you're interested. It's not close to done yet, and it won't be for a while, but I've been enjoying making it so far. (The 'Fumo' page is my favorite so far)

Attached: Capture.png (1025x842, 428K)

I'm only 19 desu, that can't be it. If it is, I can only dread the rest of my life.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 67K)

Do you browse Lainchan? You might since you posted a pic of Lain. The level of discourse is a much higher quality there. Its just comes at the cost of being much slower so I only look once a month.

Attached: 1504589868671.gif (455x303, 494K)

Maybe it was because people before modern morons understood that there were people behind the screens

I should add to this, browsing the internet and looking for the most niche and hardcore users, IRC channels etc will always be a net negative on your life. Nothing good to come from it. People who populate hard to find spaces are usually there because they are outcasts of society, want nothing to do with society, and find comfort only from their screen. You shouldn't want to be that person. You should want to enjoy the real world, and not live a life of escapism. If you are young, leave this place.

Attached: 1519871703767.png (780x1080, 773K)

Every year Jow Forums is flooded with a new wave of underage posters shitting up discussion while everyone else gets caught up with life. This problem will only grow worse as genuine posters gradually give up on here. Case in point the 2016 election

That's an interesting way to look at it. I honestly wish I had your level of optimism. I've been pretty lucky to stumble onto a pretty great group of people that I talk to a bunch. They've honestly been some of my best friends this past year, and without mentioning the group by name, I hope one of them reads this to know how much I appreciate them.
I love the Internet too much to abandon it, but with the sort of corporate takeover that's been happening, I feel like I'm getting really cynical.

Attached: youmu comfy.png (2147x2433, 684K)

I saw a post recently where a large amount of people were trying to convince the OP to take care of a child that his wife and his friend tricked him into raising and bonding with for a few years. People started flaming the OP. Deep down they think that somebody who gets cucked is actually has some sort of responsibility to a child if they got tricked into raising them.

Normal people are just so fucked in the head by just this goddamned intricate web of politically correct bullshit. People actually expect them to throw away a decade and a half of their lives away to "do the right thing" and raise a child who will be a cheating bastard theirselves or at least spawn cheating bastards. They have all these politically correct notions but it's impossible to really benefit everybody in this world at the same time and it seems like the "correct" opinion is that men should suffer so other people can be happier.

Its made me understand that caring about what normies think is literal mental illness.

That happens in the real world too user.

>Everything is buried behind layer upon layer of irony and overall fakeness

Thats the "Spectacle" that your feeling. Everything is mostly all appearances now. There was a famous book written about it. I think it was spectacle of the society or something like that. Basically, people went from being. to having, to appearing. It's a deep subject. Internet too, now is all fake. It's not organic anymore but is being manipulated to control people...The MSM, movies, songs, internet, all of it...On some level we all know this is happening but we refuse to acknowledge it.

I agree 100% and I've been saying the same thing for almost 6 years. There's nothing I can do about it.

user...They've won then. You are no longer willing to fight to better your own situation. Over the years the system has demoralized you, exactly as intended.

It's more to do with a general incapability of many people now to be truly sincere and partake in a sort of human communion with their fellow through shared interest rather than humour itself, I find it's mostly an American thing with banter being unable to coexist seamlessly with sincerity and comforting good company but that's a bit unfair because the problem is bigger than that.
when it comes to becoming part of a good space I really do believe it's something bound by fate to manifest eventually because truly likeminded people that feel the same way will be drawn to the same place at the same time in cyberspace at some point, I can't really give advice because it's something that just happened to me seemingly by pure chance like I say but I hope it offers some solace

Attached: 1509324949636.jpg (1024x768, 285K)

Not op, but I frequent it. One of the only chans where I can find/learn useful shit that is actually relevant to what I need. People actually help and have legitimate knowledge. most likely the result of no-shitposting/actual moderation. Also very comfy.

>Why does everything seem so disingenuous nowadays.
Liking something opens you up to criticism, I guess. I'm not sure how to word it. If you don't like anything then people can't make fun of you or dislike you. I think it's such a common thing now because your social status has never mattered as much as it does now because of the internet and social media.

normalfags invade every space of the internet and immediately begin acting as if they own the place

Jow Forums is almost exclusively phoneposters these days. people that post shit like "ew wtf that's gross af dude kys" completely unironcally.

I feel like you guys have said everything already that I'd say and said it better than I could, but I just wanna say I relate to this feel. I frequently reach points when I'm browsing this board where I get absolutely sick of all the shitposting and venture out to look for alternatives, only to realize it's about as bad or even worse anywhere else I'd have interest in. I feel like it's spread into real life too because I constantly hear shit normans talk about memes or whatever in the real world and they all act just as smug irl as they do online. The only time it let's up is when some big tragedy like a shooting happens. There's no escape except for total isolation. I hate it. I'm the same age as you and so goddamn lonely because I don't understand at all

Attached: 1563978727907.jpg (719x1111, 394K)

I'd say it gets worse when a major tragedy happens. That's when normfags drop the humor and act like they're the smartest person alive. Every norman knows exactly how to fix the gun crisis, and they're fucking holy than thou for caring about every tragedy as much as they do.

Attached: beku.png (3000x3000, 746K)

I'll admit that the shooting do freak me out but not really because they're shootings but mostly that they're done by people from communities I've affiliated with. It's a really crazy amd surreal feeling seeing mention of 8ch on the news. It's personal to me almost. I actually had to take a day off after the New Zealand shooting because my mind was so flayed for a bit

Pretty cool site so far

Attached: 1563720929935.gif (136x193, 144K)

I feel so disconnected from reality that I hate to say these shootings haven't affected my day-to-day much. Obviously what's happening sucks and I hate seeing innocent people lose their lives, but I also hate watching everyone clamor about acting like they have the perfect solution.
>ban video games
>ban guns
>mental health? nah

Attached: Faris_profile.png (371x480, 256K)

Do you have a Discord op or have you given up on things like that? I wanna talk to somebody that actually gets it

I honestly totally fine with background checks or whatever the fuck but I can't trust the people pushing for them to not go all out and start banning any gun they think looks scary. You give an inch and they take a mile

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! I've been having a tough time deciding how to lay out the rest of my site. I actually used the 8 chan catalog as inspiration for the layout of the "Fumo" page, funnily enough.

Jow Forums thinks my post is spam? lol

Attached: Clipboard - August 2nd, 2019 12_21_07 AM_waifu2x_art_noise1_scale_tta_1.png (1360x1342, 1.77M)

I have a Discord, linked it on my site (bekuta.neocities.org). I can't promise any response though, I'm mostly on IRCs now

Attached: ab5.gif (270x360, 724K)

Ah okay didn't know if that was you or not. Sent a request
Only page that works is the home page and fumo page. Are the others not done or is something wrong?

The "Waifu" page should at least load the header. Also yea, it's not finished yet, been trying to figure out how I want the other pages to look.

Nostalgia is a hell of a thing.
Nothing ever gets better or worse outside of your own personal life and perspective of it.

I miss when anime was part of the internet culture.

How the hell do you even get into ircs? I've always seen people talk about them but I dont even know where to start.

Efficiency has really killed the internet in my eyes. Everything moves so quickly, with stuff just passing in and out of relevancy. People used to have to take time and go on a PC and wait for shit to load, and care about what they see and find. The longevity of media has only declined as the internet has progressed. It just doesn't seem to matter anymore, its just thousands of posts flying constantly.
With smartphones and laptops and faster speeds anywhere you are, the internet has become this commonplace thing that's just always there. It's no longer special, and people stopped caring. Why care when its simply something in your pocket to pass the time on. Just for shits and giggles and not much more than that. It may be capable of more, but any big news or topic is just milked out instantly, and we just wait for whatever else to come along and parade around. Its fucking sad man.