Why can't normies appreciate music without vocals...

Why can't normies appreciate music without vocals? The ones I know look uncomfortably at the speakes/computer waitng for the words that never come because it's instrumental. Some of them go as far as saying that if it has no singing then it is not actual music.
I have three hypotheses:
> People who can appreciate vocal-less music are often those who play an instrument themselves because they can relate to it and recreate it, but people who don't play an instrument can still sing and thus can only relate to and recreate music with singing.
> A preference to instrumental music is linked to higher IQ, and thus this can be explained as normies not having the intellectual capacity to process songless music unless they can associate it to something popular or nostalgic (everybody knows the mario bros theme or the Simpsons theme).
> The music itself doesn't matter to normies, and they just process the lyrics, and they essentially consider a song as a poem with a catchy beat.
> Vocals and words in a song provide a sense of companionship and social life to normies as though the singer was speaking to them, while instrumental music makes them feel alone.

Attached: Feelthoven.jpg (1063x787, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DIAek1iEoro&list=OLAK5uy_nZNowUesFHP24jkUINqJpJl2gIZ2g4nt8&index=6
youtube.com/watch?v=UnzKuXlFa3U
youtube.com/watch?v=QWR0-s30WsY
m.youtube.com/watch?v=UuIkDP4eXyg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I didn't even read the greentext

Music with vocals makes up a supermajority of the kind of music dripfed to people through corporate culture. Most people are not people of taste and can easily fade into nothingness without culture taking a meaningful hit.

i prefer music with vocal because it makes me feel less lonely

If that is the case it's because it sells the most, the purpose of the thread is finding out why.

reasonable hypotheses
another thing is that pop culture have been and still is part of car driving. Listening classical music in your car radio is a bad idea because of the noise from the car. At least in the past it was. Vocals are one of the few things that can go through that noise.

Attached: MpXhk36.png (500x375, 377K)

Good one. But what about non-classical yet instrumental music, like techno and synthwave?

Attached: DAUJ2588.jpg (715x1024, 244K)

most normies don't process the music behind the vocals, it's just a vague abstract backdrop for the lyrics to sit in. There will be signifiers like "country" sounds, "rock" sounds, "trap" sounds, but they don't understand music enough to separate the instruments or identify individual elements. That requires an interest in music beyond chart music and music from musicals.
Instrumentals are therefore confusing to normies because they're too abstract for them to understand, they have no vantage point from which to digest the music and the music just sounds like overwhelming sound.
the best way of understanding instrumental music is (no shit) learning an instrument. Even being a guitarbro means understanding the technical skill of performance and it supplies you with a basic understanding of harmony so that the fundamental structures of the music become apparent.

low IQ would make sense seeing as Niggers like rap which is just a poem over words and white people tend to like more melodic songs with vocals.Their lack of intelligence may prevent them from enjoying the feeling and essence of a song. Maybe they are unable to pick up on emotional cues and tones played in the music so they don't get any feeling from it. It could just be a matter of higher IQ people subconsciously picking up these cues and understanding them from other media.

Maybe they feel uncomfortable with silence and the voice stimulates conversation in their primitive normalfag brains.

Attached: 1494635107281.jpg (720x646, 33K)

Imo normies can barely process lyrics. That's why pop music is full of fucking hooks. Word said over and over again a million times on radio, TV and everywhere else so that they stick in your head.

Other than one or two songs normies barely get into lyrics. Vocals are just a comforting texture to them that tell them how to feel. If a song doesn't out right convey an emotion normeis get confused and flustered. Pop music tell them how to feel. There is no subtlety. I'm sick of listening to shit music in social situations but that is the price you pay to not look like autist in front of normies. Reeeeeeee

dunno. I often enjoy listening to music for it's writing content more often than the music by itself.

Albums like Aeroplane over the sea or The Devil and God Are Raging Inside me are made purely to just digest the lyrics.

I've gotten shit for just listening to instrumental game soundtracks in the car but it's so much better than rap or whatever norman shit

I'll never understand autists who listen exclusively to video game music. Not all rap is mainstream either.

>i dont play an instrument and prefer classic music over any modern trash
>idk
>yea lyrics play an important role to normies but not like its a poem with a beat
>i think thats a bit too far fetched

Ever since I was little, I've treated vocals as mostly pure sound and nonsense words. I have a hard time deciphering the words coming out and instead, I appreciate the sound of their voice mixed with the instrumentation. I think words are mostly useless in what makes music good. It's all about harmonies, dynamics, and my favorite, timbre-based aesthetics. Music is a glimpse into a dream that is never quite the same. Each listening changes the nature of the world you enter in the mind's eye. Each instrument has its little place in this world and they are pouring their hearts out, hoping someone can truly connect with what they are saying. It's no so different from what normalfags get out of vocals, maybe. I don't feel alone listening to instrumental music; quite the opposite. The harpsichord or the trombone or the bassoon or the 808 synthesizer speak to me in their language, communicating something that evolves in meaning as my understanding of myself and the world matures.

This all helps me to appreciate just about everything made except most forms of hip hop and rap. The "artists" typically borrow samples from genuinely good music and put royalty free beats on top of it while reciting their "woke" poetry with no actual voice. It's just a gruff black man saying words with little to not "singing".

Attached: 1555724583405.jpg (236x214, 9K)

>still puts himself in social situations
snort

I like listening to relaxation music. No vocals, pure relaxing sounds, helps me relieve stress.

nah hooks are great, you get hooks all over music not just in pop shite, beethoven's 5th being a basic but obvious example in art music, with the fate motif being used again and again to create cohesion and a sense of gradual change in the first movement. Hooks are just the most obvious form of repetition in music, something which is essential for the digestion of music. When music doesn't ever repeat itself you get stockhausen and Rock in Opposition bands which are incredibly difficult to digest.

nah the musical background is essential to the enjoyment of ITAOTS. The celtic influence of the vocal melodies and the scuzzy folk contributes to the feeling of folklore that the album possesses. You might not realise you appreciate it but your brain does.

I was onboard with your opening paragraph user, based imagination
There are a handful of very good hip hop albums user, don't discount all of them. Sampling can truly be an art and where there is little skill in the trap rap flow a good MC can be as enjoyable to hear as an opera singer

youtube.com/watch?v=DIAek1iEoro&list=OLAK5uy_nZNowUesFHP24jkUINqJpJl2gIZ2g4nt8&index=6
youtube.com/watch?v=UnzKuXlFa3U
youtube.com/watch?v=QWR0-s30WsY

> This is as enjoyable to hear as an opera singer.
Consider the rope, friend.

Attached: kys3.jpg (720x402, 42K)

>enjoyable to hear as an opera singer
I don't trust this "flow" and "spitting" stuff rap people talk about. The voice has no pitch, it's just rhythm and words and posesses very few of the qualities that comprise actual music. It's like calling spoken word music. It is beautiful and meaningful in its own way but doesn't evoke the same feeling actual music does. It activates some other part of the brain. At least, this is true only for me.
>sampling can be an art
Sure, most vaporwave is kind bad but it produced some decent stuff. I'm certain there is hip hop out there that is mostly instrumental and has samples that are used well. But rap style vocals inherently ruin everything they touch.

Look, I appreciate you trying to extend my tastes with music, user. But I went through some weird experiences with rap. I had to listen to Eminem's Recovery album multiple times a day, every day, while I slept sometimes even. I get sick to my stomach hearing the vast majority of rap and hip hop. It's a visceral reaction to the trauma I went through.

Percussion has no pitch, but people can listen to entire percussion works by composers like Steve Reich and still enjoy them. Hip Hop is a rhythm-centric form of music as it stems from the native musics of africa which focus primarily on polyrhythms with basic melodic accompaniment; hip hop kinda reverses this with all the melody appearing in the accompaniment (samples) while the vocals are able to deliver the polyrhythms over the beats while communicating whatever the MC feels like talking about. In examples like Madvillany it can create some very potent hallucinatory music which is incredibly stimulating.
Of course all of this is moot if your aforementioned trauma has hampered you from accepting rap as a form of music, which is absolutely fair enough user.
thank you for actually talking about it, you seem like an intelligent person

What is your opinion on this kind of music?
m.youtube.com/watch?v=UuIkDP4eXyg

I'm glad you're not angry about this. I try to explain my distaste for rap to normalshits irl and they just don't get it. By the way, polyrhythms are great. I enjoy progressive rock and jazz and music that isn't standard western stuff. It's just, I have a hard time cognitively, I suppose, accepting voice/percussion as interesting. I'm glad you like it though. I'll try to listen to the links you provided, I just might have to take Pepto-Bismol to quell my tummy.
>you seem like an intelligent person
Not really. I used to be into the more mechanical aspects of music but lost interest when I became interested in aesthetics and the world of sensation. Mechanics are appealing for very different reasons than pure world scapes of imagination. Left brain vs right brain. I'm not a good thinker, honestly, and just want to escape reality and music is wonderful for that.
This is very pleasant and I can hear the parallel to a lot of rap. Very embellished triplets on top of simple drums in the back. I could hear a voice in the piano for sure, saying rhymes and words, for sure. You know what? I like scat and that, to me, is sort of a bridge between plain old music and rap. Maybe it's just me though.

It's good!
It has a beat (sort of) that is also melodic, it is complex where it needs to be.

Attached: smug8.png (940x1080, 855K)

ive considered this before. i like to relate all art to its simplicity. at the highest form of art you have the most simple yet elegant piece you could imagine. can even be viewed in its subtleness, such as the mona lisa. think of the opposite form of this, and you get overly detailed, over thought music, can it be pop music? no, this would your first ever piece of art, your first painting, a first song, just something dull and uninspired. pop music should be above that. yet you've got billions of souls falling in love with it. everyone is simple minded in their own way. the most few listened to or played music belongs to a special group of people. lets think of abstract art for now, could you only be classified as purposefully contrarian to like spilt paint on a canvas? as a matter of fact i like to think a special group of people create this simple imagery and create meaning from it for themselves. i believe the more hysterical form of art you consume is due to actually making it a part of your life and hobbies. a rarer group of people, but on the other side is a mass herd. maybe all you want is to relate to a simple world or message, a basic love song that cover many relationships and you look at the top charts. i think these people lead normal lives and only want something to listen to at the end of the day because music has no boundaries and is to make you happy or sad. music is there for any kind of person

That's just the magic of jazz. After so many decades it still manages to inspire newer music genres.
Good thing you enjoyed it too

>>Most people are not people of taste and can easily fade into nothingness without culture taking a meaningful hit.

This is sadly too true

I listen mostly to instrumental music myself and I hardly understand lyrics most of the time, nor I want to to, it is more interesting when the words remain a mystery. Songs with made-up languages are nice because of that.

Rap and hip hop aren't music.