Chess

Does Jow Forums like to play chess?

Attached: dingvscarlsen.webm (640x360, 376K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_draughts
lichess.org/learn
lichess.org/qfrGw0xV
pychess-variants.herokuapp.com
pychess-variants.herokuapp.com/SjdcjNTE
lichess.org/kxYr1FtA
lichess.org/D7Qv2AnE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

chess is fun. it's a shame i got good at vidyas, instead of chess.

Couldn't he have moved his king to the right/his left?
Is he dumb or am I a retarded piece of shit?

Attached: 1563088577872.jpg (960x960, 30K)

It's mate in 2 regardless of what he plays.

Not if he moves his king twice

OH WAIT IT MOVES
Faggot misleading thumbnail

I love chess. It's probably the best game ever created.

He could keep a few more moves but it would be pointless because that black rook would be taken out and the black would be left with pawns and a king vs a queen and a rook.

I wish the SLCC coverage wasn't so shit.
seriously it's like everyone on the stream is trying to talk as loud as possible, they have at least two people whose sole purpose is just to read engine lines, i don't understand why jennifer shahade is there when there are dozens of actual high rated female players who could provide useful insight into positions and not talk about fucking poker. idk, it's just so "american", i hate it.

yes. im 1800 rated blitz. post challenge link on lichess

I'm actually interested in learning how to play, as I've found checkers to be fun.

if you like checkers you might like international draughts: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_draughts

as for learning how to play chess, just use lichess:
lichess.org/learn

WFM Alexandra Botez was there.

Attached: the-most-beautiful-chess-player_fb_3141193.jpg (300x300, 74K)

What would you play here as black?

Attached: Screenshot_20190812-085907.png (2046x2048, 551K)

Thank you user for the info, I appreciate it.

6f to 4d

I don't like the 4 knights variation because 99% of the time it ends in a draw. Here just try to develop your pieces. You probably have to play on the queen side so bring the c-knight back (ne7) then you can push your c pawn.

knight d4 maybe if he takes you gain a position with the bishop

h6

Yes I'm not very good but I'm getting better every year.

It's quite a frustrating game because it's hard to teach someone to play without throwing every game. My girlfriend won't play because I annihilate her.

Joined a Chess club in Cornwall for a while. Nice fella's. Clocks and all. Even had a game of Y shaped 3 player chess.

No. I suck at strategy games

I suck at those positions. But what about trying to get a pin on the knight, bishop, rook with bishop d4?

Magnus carlsen the Norwegian god

Where can i play chess online? It gets boring to always play with AI and i don't have friends now want to have.

Attached: ee34875445e5833c4af19677c821afd6.jpg (920x1200, 484K)

lichess.org
chess.com
are the best communities by far, all the others are dogshit

lichess (much better than chess.com paid garbage site)

The fact that a computer can solve any chess problem makes the game kinda lose its appeal to me. Also the game has been played to fucking death over the years with no rule changes or updates. Fuck it

I started with lichess recently and I lose almost every game. Not fun but I'm determined to get better.

This. I can't play games against actual people. Even if I am doing great my anxiety just spikes and I have to uninstall the game. I think I got to like 1730 and then stopped playing vs people. Now I just get dominated by my over 9000 ai chess enemy

Anyone can beat a.i.5 on lichess?

That's a good attitude to have.
It shouldn't be long until you start beating people, especially if you're low rated, as you learn more.

do you play fast time controls or longer ones? switch to longer ones if you play fast ones, also create an account and filter on sub 1200 ratings.

Do any of you play variants? What are your favorites?

Not him but I only play bullet/hyperbullet.

I really like chess and I play on a daily basis, but I am afraid that if I start taking it more serious than I am now by autistically learning all openings and their variations, it would take the fun out of it.

One of my problems is I never played online before, so switching from real world to the top-down view takes some time.
I'm confused by the lichess 1+0 2+0 3+1 whatevers, don't know what that means but I assume something about time? So I usually pick 15+15, is that the slow chess?

The first number is the amount of time each player gets throughout the game, the second is the amount of time added at the end of each turn. So 1+0 would put a minute on the clock and you'd get no additional time. 3+1 would be 3 minutes each and you get an additional second each time you make a move

that is the slow variant. what rating do your opponents hae? I think there are people with 800 rating playing. And try puzzles (lots of them) too.

Never found it interesting, really.

Attached: 1562182150244.png (1055x524, 399K)

Rb2 to put it on that file so I can eventually attack along that file and push my b and a pawns breaking through that side

I'm around 1100 rating and falling, my opponents have similar.

Very disappointed in myself, I thought I'd stand a bit better fighting chance at first but it seems everyone else is good at this.

What even is that opening from white though

I'm rated 2200 on lichess. It gets to a point where the effort required to improve is just too much. I don't play as much as I use to.

have seen the bishop to b2 thing before professionally, but usually you try not to block it with a knight

Looks like a Four knights game

I doubt it has a name. Both sides seemed to just develop their pieces without really acting/reacting to each other. Neither side is pushing for an advantage. I think black is doing slightly better. The dark square bishop is better and white has some weaknesses on f4 and possibly g3. With black I'd want to play Ne7 with the idea of Ng6 and Nf4 or maybe c6 and d5 is good. The only drawback of Ne7 is that it allows white to play d4 which might be good.

Who here /londonsystem/?

Attached: London System.png (1199x781, 79K)

It really does look like both sides were just randomly developing. That fianchetto is so ugly.

I only play cool d4 openings (the ones with c4 on move two)

The london system is OK. I prefer 1. d4 2.c4 stuff. It's sharper and often results in quick wins against weak players. I see garbage like dxc4 followed by b5? or 1...d5 followed by Nf6?. Or the slav defence with Bf5? All terrible, yet popular at lower levels for whatever reason.

he didn't lose, he was just conceding because he was going to lose in 2 moves.

lichess.org/qfrGw0xV

come play chess with me anons

Attached: file.png (723x853, 685K)

pychess-variants.herokuapp.com

Neat site that lets you play live games of a couple variants against other people and engines. Only thing it's missing is a button that makes a challenge link like lichess.

Not anymore, also I am way worse nowadays than the days when I started to play.
Lmao, instead of improving and I got worse.

What did I just read...

Attached: qiev6.jpg (1500x1005, 437K)

let me rephrase:
he wasn't checkmated in that move, but he was going to be checkmated in 2 moves so he conceded.

Who else plays with the chad alphabetic piece set ?

Attached: chad.jpg (520x522, 45K)

At that level players often don't play to the very end, but resign when they are in a clearly lost position. Unless they see some last tricks or their opponent played such a good game that they'll let them finish it with style

I prefer because it's more intuitive. Just circle area. Chess feels too rigid and convoluted with the different pieces.

I prefer go**

I know that, I was implying how little sense his phrasing made.

His pawns now separate his rook from his king. The White Queen can simply keep putting him in check until he's trapped.

There's an IM on playing now if anyone wants to watch some wacky variant chess : pychess-variants.herokuapp.com/SjdcjNTE

Ne8 or some shit
kys
lichess.org/kxYr1FtA

Aronian, Levon looking strong to win the tournament.

Any good sources or info-dumps to learn the game at a higher level?

Study fischer's games. He was the best actual player of all time, nowadays it's just 40 moves of preparation

magnus ain't the best? you do realise that current players all use engine assistance to help them with their tournaments? something they didnt have back in his time.

Holy niggers how can an actual smart person be on r9k

I said actual played, players nowadays are shit at middlegames with no engines and no prep. Fischer has the 20th highest rating of all time and it was 50 years ago.

His game was second to none and he had no engine help. So yeah, greatest and best ACTUAL player of all time.

desu i don't really find go that intuitive
like, once you know the weird chess rules it's pretty straightforward what you have to do, whereas in go every website is really vague on how you actually win a game.
maybe it's just a problem of who's explaining go in the west vs chess, i don't know.

20 more wins for a thousand on lichess

Alright boys, have at yee
lichess.org/D7Qv2AnE

Attached: 1565562157506.jpg (600x484, 24K)

>tfw go is the superior game but will never be as popular in the west

He actually played 1b3

some (bad) tips for white:
normally in d4 openings like you played, white wants to push c2-c4 in order to control the center, and then develop the queen's knight to c3. instead, you had to move it to d2 because the square was occupied by a pawn.
try not to move the same piece multiple times in the opening unless you have to, or if it's theory. note that by move 6, black has already developed two pieces and castled, while you've only moved one of yours (to a square where it can easily be dislodged with b5 at some point), and have left your king in the center (this can be pretty dangerous).
Also try to be on the lookout for tactics, both for you and your opponent. in the game, you allowed black a really bad discovered check which turned the game from slightly better to winning for them. to improve your recognition of things like this, use something like lichess.org/training or chesstempo.