Everybody knows death is inevitable

> Everybody knows death is inevitable
> Yet we can't help being scared shitless of everything that indicates it may be coming sooner rather than later
Why is it so hard to come to terms with death, Jow Forums?

Attached: death.jpg (276x183, 6K)

idk that's how we're wired

Kinda sucks though man fear is an absolutely terrible feeling.

The fascinating thing is that we all behave like we are immortals. People don't actually feel that they're going to die and so they waste their lives on things that don't even make them happy.

and then there's the retards who go
>hurr derr i wouldn't wanna live forever
when you bring up immortality or hyper-old age

It isn't. Everybody dies alone and there is no purpose to life. Try to make it as fun as you can and then leave without annoying others with winning.

Idk why but I've never had a fear of dying. Since a kid I just saw it as part of life. Dunno whats so scary about it desu.

Death seems less scary than life to me desu

The ancients were not scared of death AT ALL.

Fear of death in a societal level is a very recent occurance that started with the Roman Church, as designed.

Funny thing is when I'm dead I won't even care about it. I won't even care about how my life went or whether I 'wasted it' or if it went well or whatever. It's annoying, actually, it's like something that will completely nullify all the suffering, but life and suffering itself makes it too difficult to actually get it over with. The only thing that would make it absolute shit is eternal recurrence.

once you learn to not love,enjoy, get attached to earthly things you will find it easier to accept death

Lmao what? I can't wait for it.
The fact soothes me.

Attached: life is a waste anyway.jpg (338x351, 45K)

That's the opposite, actually. In many places, such as Ancient Greece and Rome, people used to be afraid of dying because they believed in an absolutely terrible afterlife called Tartarus. Only heroes and other outstanding people were allowed to go to a slightly better afterlife called Elysium, after their death.
That is, if they were properly buried. In the Iliad you can read a very famous passage in which the father of Hector (the deceased Trojan champion) goes to Achilles (the Greek champion, who killed him in battle) to try and redeem his son's body, left to rot in the fields and condemned for this reason to an afterlife of ceaseless roaming.

It was only with the later introduction of Heaven in Christianity and the other abrahamic religions that people were given the idea of a happy and utopic place to go. So, if you will, the Greek afterlife was an ode to life and kinda pushed you to be the best version of yourself, while the Christian/Jewish/etc. afterlife rewards you for just staying quiet at your place without asking for anything.

So because of the Church (I'm using the Church because Christianity is the most common religion in the world) if we have a more positive vision of death. That said, the aforementioned vision does not push you AT ALL to try and search for a better life, so I definitely prefer the Greek way of thinking.

IDK man I went to a cadaver lab recently and death seems peaceful.

That's not the impression I get at all. Making everyone believe they're going to be tortured forever after death seems like it would just make them scramble to cling to life no matter what. The Christianity version just means you don't have to worry about it. I don't think either have any bearing on how you'd live life. Either way, you're going to want to live a good life. The notion of a heaven just means it would continue.

I am not afraid of death
My life is shit, miserable every day. Death would obviously fix that
Every day it becomes more and more clear that death is the only solution to this horrible tragedy known as my life

Speak for yourself user, I'm fine with it. In fact, I've accepted it, and will let it come to claim me when the time comes.

I can see your point, but I still think a concept of a happy Heaven might make you less afraid of death and, therefore, less inclined to live as well as you could.

That said, personally I don't believe in any kind of afterlife and that's the thing that really bugs me and sometimes fucks up my sleeping hours.

And what's the issue with that? Is there a problem with someone who wouldn't want to live forever? Just curious.

I think death is a meme desu

This, existence is the only possible reality and lack of consciousness doesn't imply non-existence just absence of human perception