Do you believe in free wiII?

Do you believe in free wiII?

Attached: 1562238034682.jpg (1000x1333, 275K)

Free will is a meme. We're all slaves to our most basic animal desires in the end.

No, where does it come from? Every single one of our decisions is based on influences like experience and genetics, as long as these circumstances are in place we'd always make the exact same decision in a specific spot.

Free will doesn't make any sense when you bother to think about it for more than a second. Our wills are dictated by our brains, which are shaped through genetics and social conditioning. In fact, I wouldn't even know how to define free will, since it's so vague and nonsensical.

>free will isn't real because our brain tells us what to do

What? You are your brain. Will exists, it's just what a particular being chooses to do. That's no better than a computer that makes decisions based on certain criteria. We are more complex, but no deeper in the end. Please define what you think free will is.

I don't believe that knowing if you have free will or not actually matters. It's enough to be able to affect your life through your actions, but where that action actually comes from is irrelevant.

No, we do have some agency on what happens to us but external factors affect our lives more than what we decide ourselves, and even our supposedly own decisions are affected by external factors as well.

this

the smartest people alive in the history of the world abstained from masturbation and sex unless needed.

Doesn't that contradict your point?

>Do you believe in free wiII?
there are people who would rather kill themselves than to live. so yes

>there are people who would rather kill themselves than to live. so yes
That doesn't have anything to do with the concept of free will, though. Just because survival is the most basic of all human instincts, it doesn't mean that anything deviating from that is 'free will'. It is just will. It is a person's brain making a decision based on the information and criteria it has been provided with.

i used to believe in free will, but then i realized that the only thing that decides fate is Cause and Effect. Free will only exists if the action taken has no purpose. Everything else, there is a reason a cause and an effect. the choices we make are based on experiences of the past, and where we want to be. However the places you want to be are effected by a cause that you experienced previously.

Attached: existential.jpg (770x564, 123K)

are you implying nothing on earth is concious of itself? everyone's just a blob of flesh calculating another digit of pie?

>We're all slaves to our most basic animal desires
What is discipline?
Of course.
And free will isn't incompatible with fate.

What are you talking about? Nothing of what you say follows at all. A being that is conscious of itself does not factor into free will at all. Being 'conscious' of yourself is simply being aware that you exist. Some things can be programmed to be 'aware that they exist', like computers, but that is only because they are programmed to say so. "I think, therefore I am"; that means you can only be aware of your own consciousness. But as I said, that is beside the point. Being aware of yourself does not imply free will at all. It is just another piece of information. Theoretically, even a being that is not conscious of itself can be 'programmed' to behave as if it is. I could say, "I think, therefore I am" and not actually have a consciousness.
Discipline is another part of our basic animal desires that serves a specific purpose. Certain brains will respond well to discipline, and be influenced into doing certain things, like regular exercise, which is beneficial to oneself. It does not factor into free will at all. And free will certainly is incompatible with fate, as if everything is deterministic in nature, there are no other possibilities, never mind an ability to escape the determinism and change your possibilities.

free will doesn't exist.
in a universe where causality (cause and effect) is the main rule of change, it shouldn't logically exist. there is no need to argue using biology.

>Discipline is another part of our basic animal desires that serves a specific purpose.
Discipline is a desire?
No.It's completely the opposite. You restrain yourself by sheer power of will.

>And free will certainly is incompatible with fate, as if everything is deterministic in nature, there are no other possibilities, never mind an ability to escape the determinism and change your possibilities.
What is free will?
The ability to choose any possibility out of any situation, right?
If there's a determination, it can still be possible with alternate realities where each possibilities generates a new reality.

Relativity essentially proves that everything that ever will happen has already happened. Everything is a deterministic process. You are a theatregoer watching the movie of your life.

Would you call walking in cage as a free will?

>No.It's completely the opposite. You restrain yourself by sheer power of will.
Think about this for a moment, though. Will is desire, simply put. When you 'will' something, you desire for it to happen. Therefore, when you 'restrain' yourself, you want to do something other than what you're 'restraining' yourself for. It's simply a desire. Just because you commonly think of basic stuff like video games or sex as desires, it doesn't mean they're literally the only desires. It's just what our society represents as prominent or 'hedonistic' desires.
>The ability to choose any possibility out of any situation, right?
No, because 'possibility' is simply an illusion based on not having enough information. Think about it. When you flip a coin, there's the 'possibility' that it will land on heads or tails. However, in reality if you were to study every physical property of that coin, you could predict which side it landed on. Due to a lack of information, we can use probability theory to say it's a 50/50 chance due to how close the conditions to land on heads or tails are. Besides that, simply making decisions is will, not free will. A computer can make decisions. No new reality is generated. And with determination, that is not possible, because if things were to seemingly 'deviate' that would be because of the determined sequence of events.

Even if we had a split in reality like some people theorize we still wouldn't have a choice whether or not we end up in the one with a dead cat, no? Also who's to say there isn't some rule to decide that too. People way smarter than me are still debating this point probably better off with the than r9k.

how the fuck do you tjink youre defying matter bro

How do you know causality isn't just a construct of our brains as much as free will is?

Because if it wasn't than the world as we know it wouldn't function. The world as we know it functions on causality, and any other 'reality' does not matter, because it isn't the one we're living in.

Observe what happens when you think 3 favorite colors.

Where does it come from? If you weren't quick enough pick movies. Is there a center of consciousness? Where does the I reside?

>No, because 'possibility' is simply an illusion based on not having enough information
Depends on if you like Austrian cats. In multiverse all possibilities do happen.

>In multiverse all possibilities do happen.
>there is an infinite number of universes where i don't exist

Attached: 1545086085476.png (400x388, 132K)

>Depends on if you like Austrian cats. In multiverse all possibilities do happen.
That isn't relevant for our reality, though. We only exist in this one. Because our consciousness resides in this one.

There is no reason to enslave everyone named william.

>Because our consciousness resides in this one.
We don't even know what consciousness is.

Attached: good guy mickey.jpg (480x608, 67K)

I believe everything is predetermined, and I have no choice in what is to happen or what I will do