Why do so many people make fun of these trendy new types of apartments...

why do so many people make fun of these trendy new types of apartments? seems like a great way to live and a huge step up from the suburbs, with cool shops in walking distance

Attached: 1566616940889.jpg (1650x1275, 270K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DpcMl9XP55M
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The architecture is atrocious

>this
What human being in their right mind would feel comfortable around this abomination?
Also
>cool shops in walking distance
I hate millenials

Attached: 20190825_022814.jpg (534x215, 86K)

It is amazing hiw simple it would be to build something coherent. Look at old row houses. Their design is not at all elaborate and still aesthetically pleasing

Attached: 42B372A2-F448-4C55-9139-2A34803DA3E0.jpg (640x427, 106K)

It's because every twentysomething dumbass who gets an architecture gig wants to reinvent the wheel and blow everyone's mind with his le genius modern designs.

I don't see anything wrong with these images.

I'm working in construction on these types of apartments right now, and let me tell you they are just plain shit. The materials they use are cheap as hell. Most of the labor is inexperienced and lazy. My boss has been a carpenter for 30+ years and has an eye for making something level/straight. We constantly have to redo and recut shit that should be the right size, but the dumbfucks that worked earlier didn't do anything straight. Everything down to the foundations in those apartments is poorly laid and crooked. Stuff also constantly breaks during construction and has to be replaced or fixed.
All in all it's a combination of poor planning, poor materials, and poor work ethic.

pay me a twenty if you work with poles and spics

In Finland, buildings keep developing mold problems and ceilings come crashing down because nobody knows how to build shit anymore. It's normal for a bathroom to start leaking water to the apartment below because it's too difficult to make a normally functioning bathroom now. My bathroom was remodeled before I moved in and after a few years the seams between the tiles started cracking. All the tile floors at my work place, built in the late 70s, are still in perfect condition despite heavy use.

In my comfy suburb house I have
>much more space
>a front, and back yard, where I can have my own pool and garden, and where I can let my dog out
>a nice garage for 2 cars, and even more guaranteed parking space in front
>neighbors can have parties and I don't have to worry about noise
And all for less than 2,365 a month. Stores are also within walking distance. I know quite a lot of people downtown only live in those kinds of places while they're in college, because the commuting time is definitely better, but to stay in one of those after you graduate does not sound comfortable.

what exactly is wrong with wanting things in walking distance? its far preferable than the shitty soulless suburbs where you need to drive everywhere. millenials have it right

and they succed you fucking brainlet.
Just because you're too old to switch to something new, doesnt mean we cant.

Attached: dumb.jpg (637x468, 58K)

You can't build those any more because no planning board would approve them. The lack of set-backs wouldn't be approved, the lack of parking spaces wouldn't be approved, their connections to the sewer system are probably grandfathered in.

The "architectural abominations" look that way because that's what planning boards like and that's what builders can get approved. These buildings are designed to be in PowerPoint presentations.

>The materials they use are cheap as hell.

What materials are cheap?

Tell me how the Chinese skyscrapers repeated 1000 times look better than European buildings that are different every time

What sucks is that you pay a ton in rent and then cant afford the shops instead of living 3 blocks away from the shops and going 2x as much

seeing these being built all around town in my city. one of the new construction sites is on a main street where lots of beggars camp out at the intersection daily and harass drivers for money. had to flip one of them off during rush hour on my way back home as they were knocking on my window. hopefully they only bother people coming in and out of those high rise luxury apartments when they're built in the near future since those people tend to be flashy hipsters who make good money.

I dont see any problem with stone foundations and solid masonry walls.

>$2365 a month
>$31,620 a year

LMFAO imagine not using that money for a downpayment on a house. Imagine spending so much money on something you won't own. Renting is a fucking scam.

The monthly rent. It's so delusional, it's a joke.

That's more than most people's monthly mortgage payments kek you have to be a retard to pay that much rent.

This is what I don't like about the Affluence thing. It's good that they're well-off, but once they get there, they completely forget where they started out.

Just like climbing out of a well, and they don't care that other people are still trapped down there. Nobody's going to get a ladder, and the water is still going to be contaminated.

I know, right? You would think they would use all that effort to make efficiency apartments or something. Or a shelter to keep the homeless guys from shitting on the street

yeah it's a shame. not to mention with the hyper consumerist mindset of these types, they don't really contribute back to the community in any way and instead drop all their disposable income on the newest phone model or craft beers. they don't even have productive hobbies, most just watch netflix and order food through ubereats. not saying they shouldn't spend their money how they like, just saying they don't really have their impact on others' in mind. in my city for example we've had historically low home prices since residents here have always been working class, and just recently in the last five-ten years loads of new people moved in buying up all the real estate because the next city over is a major metropolitan area which in the last decade became ridiculously unaffordable housing-wise even for the well-off. now we have all these condos going up and the homeless population seemingly exploded overnight as native residents are being pushed out of their homes they were living in for generations. significantly more crime and vagrants around, which is telling because now the city has way more money coming in than it ever did before. they should at least put up a couple more shelters. instead we have shootings, stabbings, one homeless guy even got on public transit and pushed the bus driver off the bus then repeatedly pummelled his head into a fire hydrant. his nose was broken, there was blood everywhere and they had to rush him to hospital. driver was in his 60s. homeless guy did this in broad daylight in the heart of downtown. more stuff like this has been happening and it's only a matter of time before I move to a smaller more quiet town as soon as I save up enough money. seems the rate of violence and number of homeless is only going to go up, and these mentally ill vagrants enjoy living this lifestyle so they're not going anywhere in the meantime, as police are too lax on them.

Attached: 1552171573337.jpg (1280x1079, 519K)

2/2
The Ladder is a plan to rebuild the Middle Class. It was destroyed because our society has become "Every Man for Himself," and our culture has favored selfishness over teamwork. And it's infected our most influential groups like a bad case of gangrene.

Why don't apartments go up really high? It's a waste of gosh darn space to spread out so much. Here's a little plan I came up with, I hope they hire me as the urban planner. Forgot to mark, at the canton level, those little, long rows are hospitals, police stations, bus stations, and delivery stations for supplies.

For bonus points, what if we built deep into the earth and made the buildings earthquake proof? That way, you can have 40 floors going up and 40 floors going down for a total of 80 floors and thereby DOUBLING the population size! My example of Nu Tulsa, OK would be able to fit over a billion people!

Attached: new world order ideas hehe.png (1200x600, 61K)

we're all going to be living like rats cramped in small spaces at extremely high populations ripe for spreading pathogens to kill many in a short amount of time. well done NWO, well done...

My brother is like this. I don't think it's a bad thing, but the problem is more of a poor use of resources. Just like stocks, community taxes and projects should be a city-wide investment.

Some people aren't good at seeing the whole picture, but that's why we hire government people for this. But as a former homeless guy myself, I'm really disappointed to hear stories like this. Just because people don't fit the norm, it doesn't mean we all don't care.

Attached: 1565741937678.jpg (380x507, 89K)

Poles are good workforce.
Spics are lazy af

there's a big difference between a homeless person who is down on their luck and a vagrant mentally ill drug addict who robs people and breaks into their cars. the former usually get off the streets as soon as possible, as it's not a lifestyle to glamorise. it's shameful all-around and I don't let my family visit me here, instead I go to them. it's good you were able to get out of that situation, the mental illness and addiction often associated with extended periods of homelessness is conducive to soul sickness.

It will be beautiful! I figure, according to my plans, each building might be roughly 120 feet by 120 with 50 feet on both sides of bridges and the elevator 10 feet wide. So a block of buildings is 360 by 360, combined with a road on all sides about 40 feet wide, making each block = 400ftsq. This makes a cluster 1600ftsq, a district 6400ftsq, and a canton 25600 plus about 5000 more, so 30600ftsq. My example of Nu Tulsa, which is composed of 16 cantons, would make it so 524 million cattle (sorry, I mean humans) could fit in 122400sqft. If you could engineer 40 floors going below the earth, you could double the population and put 1 BILLION goyim in 122400sqft!!! That's, and I'm not sure of the math, about 23 miles by 23 miles, so I guess 23mi^2.

This is a population density of 45,565,217 per square mile. In comparison, the Kowloon Walled City in Hong Kong only made it to 3.2million per square mile. Pic related is what it looked like.

Attached: Kowloon_Walled_City.jpg (644x425, 357K)

>If something is trendy/fashionable it automatically makes it good.
Hmm....................................................

Clearly millennials, the people not building these, but wanting things in a reasonable distance are stupid. What we really need are random suburbs where you can shoot guns and fireworks and driving your kid to school is only 45 minutes from the farm.

Trees are grown so fast anymore the wood is poor quality. Turns out a tree that's unfertilized and reaches 20 ft in size over 50 years has exponentially better wood than the specially bred, fertilized tree raised to 20 ft over 5 years.

That's true. And the only universal way out of homelessness is to find a temporary place to stay and find work to fund an apartment. I couldn't get into a shelter because all of them were full. So I stayed with a family member instead. After a week on the street and Homeless Services treating me like garbage.

But I still haven't found work. Rent is high here, and all the decent paying jobs are taken like candy (usually by the social elite and their friends). The Career Center wasn't any help, and I don't know anything about going back to school (more money and time expended).

It feels like being caught up in a bad satire plot.

Attached: 1565578803150.jpg (1360x2040, 275K)

nothing is going to change until we hang globalist government officials out on the streets.

Because it's a retarded meme that suburbs are 10 millions miles away from everything. Everything I need for day to day life and then some is within walking distance.

I would somewhat agree, except for the hanging part. These guys are supposed to be public servants, and civilization is supposed to be a team effort. But they've chosen themselves over their own people. So there should be a chance in leadership. Not by blood, but through heart and ballots. Expose these people and their crimes, then give them a choice: Work for our society or Leave. If they want to sabotage society's efforts to get better, they should face the same societal contempt and alienation that they put on their victims.

Because doing this to our world and our people is no more heinous of an act than signing loyalty to an enemy force.

this shit is for indians, retards and women

Because they look like shit and paying $2,365 a month at the lowest for such a piece of stale piss is absurd. Commieblocks would be a much more preferable alternative, and you just know those wannabe trendy buildings and apartments are horrid in terms of quality. At that point you might as well just put a downpayment on a house.

>commieblocks
One of the very few things I agreed with the Soviets on.

You've obviously never lived in one.
This, suburbia is a comfy dream.

>depressing, decrepit ancient council brick boxes mistakenly labelled houses
>aesthetically pleasing
No.

Ah, you are a brit. No wonder you cannot appreciate 19th century architecture.

Why should I appreciate soulless, shabby brick prisons? They only belong in horror movies. You might want to regress and never advance technologically or architecturally but I don't, I actually have an appreciation for unique and comfortable styles rather than deprived, dead-end Victorian Era crypts.

>shitty apartments
>costing more than 300/month
It really isn't worth the money.

Attached: Habitat_67,_southwest_view.jpg (4622x3082, 1.67M)

In America, areas with architecture like that are usually really nice and very expensive, like pic related.

As a Brit you associate them with "council housing", which I guess is like housing projects in the US. Our housing projects are Bauhaus, and nothing like the image that user posted.

Attached: 71-BW8SmjSL._SL1200_.jpg (1200x826, 243K)

This, those ancient brick boxes were built in Cincinnati

That is also stale, archaic trash neighbourhood (and painting it pastille doesn't hide it) for fucking 60 year olds and clearly not the same area you posted as an example before. Why would I want to live in some "tight-knit", dreary backwater community when I prefer the aesthetic and luxury of the city?

Attached: apartment.jpg (852x480, 32K)

If a developer knows that the district is "cool," it won't be cool for much longer. The people who want these places are vampires of a sort anyway; all of them just want to plug into a community that's already cool, cultured and successful rather than building their own wherever they're at. A community of any meaning isn't acquired this way, it's the long slow work of decades and the work will take longer than the fairweather residency that is offered by renting urbanites who will be packing up and moving again soon after moving into one of these places. There'll be some minor problem with it and they'll be off again.

All that said, I think the desire for something like this is only natural, it's just that these new buildings represent a cheap, fake shortcut. The desire that springs up in the heart of the millennial is for something wholly opposite to the suburbs so many of us grew up in. We want something walkable, we want something with idiosyncratic novelty, we want to see our neighbors and have some reason to leave our screens (even if we mostly don't). Above all we want to stop feeling alienated and start feeling like people in a community. We want to have something definite to say about our "neighborhood." It's just hard to find one ready-made for us in a country built around the car and the suburb. We haven't yet made peace with knowing that, if we want this, it'll be for our kids to enjoy, not us. We were born too early.

Those are multi-million dollar properties in the historic district in Charleston, SC.

This is Beacon Hill, in Boston. It is likely that the least expensive property on this street is $5 million.

Attached: beacon-hill-boston-brownstones-780x517.jpg (780x517, 186K)

This is Georgetown, DC. Also not a housing project.

Attached: erinebert-georgetown-colorful-rowhouses-brick-sidewalks-summer_mydccool-homepage-09.20.jpg (800x803, 222K)

So it's practically a rip-off that looks exactly like every roach infested council house here designed specifically for coal-burning single mums shitting out muttlets to play the sympathy card for benefits and near suicidal students who wish to be anywhere else.
If that's the type of house you like then that's fine, but I'm not going to be forced back into the 19th century against my will, I'm already living in a dilapidated farmhouse in the suburbs, I'd prefer to live the high life.

Many of these homes are top-notch in their own right.

Attached: D535B75D-C070-4F21-BEF5-166348A6F3AA.jpg (1024x684, 157K)

i bought my own townhouse. i would literally neck myself if i lived in one of those buildings with other people. my privacy is imperative.

These hones have perfect proportions. They were constructed with hug sash windows with a 2 to one height to width ratio. Constructed with near-perfect symmetry. The buildings also possess wrought-metal cornices, as all dwellings should

I'm sure they are, if you're paying 5 million dollars for a townhouse then it should be structurally sound, as should every building. They're also dreary and depressing and since I'm not an American "family man" living in the 1950s with a fetish for white picket fences and plaid shirts I'm not exactly into that.

That top row is very appealing to me desu. If the kitchen's color was inverted, light with dark accents and walls, it would be pretty much ideal. Bedroom is already aesthetic as fuck.

Explain to me your preferences in greater detail. You have been vague.

youtube.com/watch?v=DpcMl9XP55M

This video is pretty interesting for renting vs buying.

I've elaborated more than enough on it and posted an image earlier. If you're expecting that I'm a constructor who's going to divulge every iota of building fundamentals then you're wrong, I'm a shut-in robot. Archaic townhouses based on a bygone era are not and never were what I aspired to live in.

Just looked it up, in my city these buildings are like $1600. So I think the image is exaggerated

You want to live in a highly modernized urban area, likely in a glass-clad high rise building, correct?

>Everything I need for day to day life and then some is within walking distance.
this is not true for the vast majority of suburban towns.

Yes, assuming it's high-quality. Not that it matters since even a low quality urban apartment would be superior to living in some brick council house.

>All that said, I think the desire for something like this is only natural, it's just that these new buildings represent a cheap, fake shortcut. The desire that springs up in the heart of the millennial is for something wholly opposite to the suburbs so many of us grew up in. We want something walkable, we want something with idiosyncratic novelty, we want to see our neighbors and have some reason to leave our screens (even if we mostly don't). Above all we want to stop feeling alienated and start feeling like people in a community. We want to have something definite to say about our "neighborhood." It's just hard to find one ready-made for us in a country built around the car and the suburb. We haven't yet made peace with knowing that, if we want this, it'll be for our kids to enjoy, not us. We were born too early.
You have said something really pertinent, and treating this millenial desire more fairly than most in this thread. I think what you are saying is 100% true. We find the suburban lifestyle really isolating and have a desire for a more walkable, urban environment with shops and bars and stuff around us. But our landscape just wasnt built for that it was built around the car.

Because there's zero advantages to living in one of those, and only disadvantages.

I don't drink, so a local beer hall does nothing for me. I don't fucking like Whole Foods and don't give a shit about that either. Who fucking cares if there's restaurants around -- I have DoorDash for that or can drive myself to get food if I feel like it.

The downsides are that you live in a massively over-expensive apartment. I'm not about to spend top dollar like some c.uck for trendy marketing. What kind of pathetic hipster asshole would do that? I bet it's people who like Apple products.

yeah it's more hyperbole, good suggestions in here though.

>They're also dreary and depressing and since I'm not an American "family man" living in the 1950s with a fetish for white picket fences and plaid shirts I'm not exactly into that.

Yeah OK dude.

This is 122 Waverly Place in Greenwich Village in Manhattan. It's currently listed for $16.8 million. I guarantee you that the person who buys it will not be a family man living in the 50's. I also guarantee you that if you bought it you would be living the high life.

All the most expensive parts of Manhattan look like this street, BTW. When you live on one of these streets, you laugh with your friends about how high rises are for vulgar rubes.

Attached: WaverlyPlace.png (768x576, 1.14M)

>even a low quality urban apartment would be superior to living in some brick council house.

I think your chav background really skews your viewpoint on this.

Still not much different, slightly taller and more windows, also still outdated and rustic. I prefer a lounge to a fireplace as well.
Sure the interior might be lavish and adorned with paintings, ornate sofas and leopard skin carpets, but that is not an appealing aesthetic. Eerily conventional and reminiscent of a time no longer relevant. I'd much prefer to access a skyline apartment, sit down at my hypothetical high-end PC and relax as the rain hits the windows while the surrounding buildings are illuminated in the night.
I'm not a chav. I'm a middle-class NEET living in a bug infested dilapidated cottage with annoying neighbours and a garden that serves no purpose other than to inconvenience me.

Why would you need a view if you have a pc?

Because even if only marginally it provides a better sense of atmosphere. A clean, dominant view, rather than being cooped up in some oppressive, padded brick prison. When I choose to get up and make myself a drink or go to the bathroom I want to do that while knowing I'm in my desired aesthetic.

>Im worthless
>my opinion is worth something
pick one.

Explain where I said I was worthless or what exactly makes me worthless.

those look like shit and you feel like an asshole walking into a dark alley to go home to your jack off cavern with your 3 allotted windows so no one can see your shame

>what are trends
>what is interesting design
>what is anything but stacking bricks and throwing a fire escape in the back so you at least have the pleasure of imagining that you can one day escape this shitty english hell-apartment you bought in a pinch

Attached: 1537222338730.gif (500x297, 288K)

Particle board and plastic composite instead of hardwood
Poor quality fixtures (lights, sinks, ect.)
Drywall everything

spics and hicks actually

Thanks, friend. My political beliefs are a product of independent research and a life history of turmoil and betrayal. And luckily, my spirit to keep going is still intact.

Expensive
Poorly thought out electrical/HVAC installation
Shitty property management if renting, shitty "homeowners association" type shit if buying.
Architecture sucks, thin walls, sun facing wrong way, curry smells from street level pajeetery
Neighbors drink almond milk and only eat avocados
Crackheads outside doorstep
etc etc

Whoa there satan.

You don't even need disease to kill people in there. just spread dank memes via the computer internetwork until people kill themselves and each other

also incredibly expensive and only bought by elites so they can think they live in city housing but they purposefully will not build any metro or bus stops within the area and driving in DC sucks