Quitting alchohol

Anybody else battling this addiction?
I've smoked for 13 years and quit 6 years ago.
Been drinking for longer than that and am considering to reduce it if not quit completely.
Partially health reasons, but more thinking if it's really a drug and a way to control us. Provide that fake numbing feeling so we don't get mad at the world.
Part of the problem is that it's probably what Muslims feel. Constant anger.

Attached: beer.jpg (1200x1200, 439K)

Other urls found in this thread:

independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/one-in-ten-people-unable-to-stop-drinking-once-theyve-started-10317913.html
fit-recovery.com/top-reason-alcoholics-just-cant-stop-one-drink/
helpguide.org/harvard/almost-alcoholic.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Depends on why you drink.
I personally like the taste and the experience of being drunk was secondary, so it isn’t that bad for me whenever I don’t get a drink.

A lot of people connect drinking with something else entirely, and it becomes routine and addicting if you ever connect it with something negative. For example, a guy on some podcast had a really bad alcohol addiction, he was bonstop drinking a whole variety of shit. Eventually he realized that whenever he got out of his shyness in social interactions in the past, he used alcohol. He then connected drinking with all the fun times he had. It of course became routine and that shit can be hard to break.

I started drinking late cause I'm a mudslime and it just doesn't do anything for me. Being drunk feels like shit and I don't like the thought of losing self-control.
Whenever you get the urge to drink ask yourself wtf you're gaining from it. Literally nothing.
No need to get mad at the world either. It's just as useless. Do whatever you can to improve your life and apart from that just enjoy the ride.

1-2 glasses a week should be fine. It's always nice to have a cold one during the weekend.

Jep.
I actually successfully quit for 10 months. Not a drop.
Then convinced myself it would be just "social" again.
Here I am, one year on from that, and I am as deep as I've been into my alcohol addicition.

It's weird: I know I have to quit again. But knowing that I've already quit (when more physically dependant) somehow keeps me from doing it again. I need.. some..... outlet. Legalise weed just don't push it on kids and I'm all set.

It's really hard not to drink as it has been a habit of mine for 6 years almost every night. Recently i have been going 2-3 days without drinking per week. Im kind of caught in a cycle where i just do it because i feel like i should but have had some of the same sentiments as you.

Gonna try cutting back even more starting next week, not drinking mon - thurs. Best of luck to you. Its just so easy to do especially when youre sitting around relaxing anyway.

Yeah I quit. I was drinking every day for years. I put on a heap of weight. BP went through the roof. Started getting eczema on my face. Got diagnosed with alcoholic fatty liver. Temporarily lost sensation in my left hand due to alcoholic peripheral neoropathy. Also lost my licence for 5 years due to a DUI. None of that stopped me drinking. I guess I just took a good long look at where I was I was heading and I don't want to die of a heart attack, stroke or cirrosis. Am I'm sick of being fat. So I stopped. I still drink maybe once every few weeks but I always regret it.

Range ban check

I only drink beer, since about 8 years ago when I had a really bad poisoning with less than original whiskey(this is not uncommon here).
But the problem is I can rarely go without a beer or 2-3 a day and in the weekends I go to about 10 a day sometimes. I rarely get drunk, like really drunk. Maximum once per month.
But the problem comes in that 1 day I decide to skip the pub. I feel like I have nothing else to do. At all.

lol same brother
I get drunk, start feeling sleepy, cringe at every person acting like a drunk retard and later puke my guts out...
also beer tastes and reeks like piss! fuck everyone who drinks that shit near me

Quit drinking.
When I was 15 I started drinking socially with my band when we would practice.
Social life says drink every weekend. And every Tuesday and Thursday. And Wednesday. Eventually admit you're an alcoholic if you have more than 2 drinks a week. Work driving drunks for so many years, drinking just ruins the next day and stop having fun while drunk. I haven't been drunk for almost 2 years now and I feel better than ever. Realize drunk people revert back to childhood mentality. Better off sober.

>Recently i have been going 2-3 days without drinking per week

good work user.

hey you should tell your doc about why you drink he can probably give you a drug for it that hits the spots the booze hit. valium or something - booze is garbage.

>Partially health reasons, but more thinking if it's really a drug and a way to control us. Provide that fake numbing feeling so we don't get mad at the world.
Jesus drank wine, if it's good enough for Him, it's good enough for me.

Also, alcohol tends to make you aggressive, not numb you. The statistics are pretty clear on this.

How many years we talking? I always find it fascinating how some people can drink hardcore for 20+ years and seem to function, while others drink 5+ and see some pretty rough side effects.

Just drink on the weekend. I don't even know how people have a problem with this. 6 beers on a Friday night is the max I ever drink. I have a limit that I just refuse to go past. I have never blacked out or did something I regret when drunk.

Beer is better than weed you idiot.

Docs won’t do that. Not with booze. They might give you a few days worth for insomnia, but that’s it. It’s extremely addictive.

Google: Dihydromyricetin or Ampelopsin

for getting drunk.

Yeah. That's my first goal. If I fail at keeping it just in the weekends, or say - just when there is some sort of social occasion - somebody's birthday, some public holiday etc. Then I'll cut it completely.

It's not.

I quit around 10 months ago, 23 years old. Had to stop due to health reasons. It's really hard for all social occasions but its worth it anons, nothing is more important than your health. Nothing.

I usually get drunk and listen to chill music. My wife says I'm a "happy drunk". I think it depends on how much you drink, and the type of person you are.

Alcoholism killed my father, and raped my mother. Stay in school kids.

haha your doc is no fun. i pay mine well though

Hardest thing to overcome for me was all the things that I associated with drinking.Watching a soccer game, happy hour after work, family meetings, etc. but remembering I was fucking up with my liver kept me away from it. That thing recovers very well if you let it to.

5 years drinking 3-4 bottles of wine a day. Even though some days I'd get 2x750ml bottles of vodka and drink it all in one go. I tried to visualize how much I drank last year and realised the entire bottle shop didn't have that much booze in it. I don't even know what over a thousand bottles of wine would look like. Thats like over 750 litres of booze in one year.

two muslims with german flags, not surprised

Alcohol is the worst drug you can do. That being said I was drinking a lot of whisky everynight because it felt good. It wasnt logical for me so I stopped for a good 2 months. I drink a beer here and there now

Whats your favorite type of beer?

I have a weird relationship with alcohol, always had since I was 16, and for a bit was a raging alcoholic.

I will drink whatever alcohol I have. I can buy a beer or two and Ill drink them. I can not drink for a bit and thats fine too. But I always have to buy the alcohol I plan to drink that day. If I buy a 700 ml bottle of whiskey, it will be gone that night. I do not get it, it has to be something with the "lizard" or primitive part of the brain. If I am sober, I can easily not drink, but once I start I am drinking until it is gone or I pass out. No control once started.

Attached: 6346346357357.jpg (830x466, 260K)

Fuck thats a lot man

>Google: Dihydromyricetin or Ampelopsin

Enjoy beer-titties, low test, and intoxicated liver friendo

>flag
YIKES

>Part of the problem is that it's probably what Muslims feel. Constant anger.

nice one good point gets me thinking

Yeah. I'm not proud of myself.

Ni hao ma?

No it's not if you are a fucking addict by nature you retard
I would much rather be a dumb pothead than a mental alcoholic, with my liver getting ruined and shite.

da say leih

Quit smoking 15 years ago and drinking 2 years ago. Fitter and feel better than ever. Alcohol is a depressant so if you drink because life sucks, it will only make that worse.
Now just change your diet up if you can.

Im the same as you. You need something to stimulate you. Why do you think people skydive and bungee

As everybody, I grew up on lager(shitty one here as well).
Then I moved to the Czech Republic for a few years and discovered proper lager. A few years after I came back here, craft beers became popular. So since about 5 years I am into this craft obsession to try as many different ones as I can.
My favorite is "black IPA", but I like normal IPAs too. Occasionally also stouts, english bitter ales and so on. Overall I prefer ales.

I’m working on it. I drink plain tonic water as a mocktail sometimes. I try and limit drinking to when I’m out with friends. I don’t use a scale, I just look in a mirror to check results. Pic related.

Attached: 6F7CAA8A-D785-4837-B264-334FDA124F61.jpg (772x637, 149K)

Hmm interesting. Thanks user.

quit cold turkey. Thats what I did a month ago and I feel better every day. Your body will thank you. Replace the beer with exercise. I personally bike. Best decision I ever made.

I moved to florida and I fucking hate how there's beer and wine in every gas station now and a gas station every quarter mile. I've been trying hard not to drink and I literally find myself drinking a roadie on the way home. Like I stop at the gas station, grab a tall boy, and chug it while driving home from work and I don't even notice what I've done the whole time. It's weird. Very hard habit to break.

independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/one-in-ten-people-unable-to-stop-drinking-once-theyve-started-10317913.html

fit-recovery.com/top-reason-alcoholics-just-cant-stop-one-drink/

helpguide.org/harvard/almost-alcoholic.htm

No thanks. I smoke bud. Wouldnt get on any pill that isnt necessary for my health.

Been a week now. I can admittedly feel physically better, but the boredom and not going out with mates to avoid temptation is killing me.
Not to mention a whole month of football is coming which would normally mean excessive beer drinking.

Alright so I'm an alchy and I've been in and out of rehab for over half my life. I'm 31 and right now I'm at the point where I drink every other day. So I dont drink everyday but when I do o blackout and talk horribly dark things to people who love me and my life is falling apart. It's tough to hold on. Pic related is a drink I have left over from Monday. No money left so it's just gonna be this one drink. But shit man. I want to quit

Attached: IMG_20180613_123042.jpg (1944x2592, 1.55M)

Both options sound utterly pathetic

I'm trying to do this but things like work, watching sports, and going out to eat are way more boring now.

Yup, fighting the good fight.

I have self-restraint issues. When I drink, I have to drink to get drunk. Anytime I tell myself i'll go to the bar and have a couple drinks with friends, then turns into 8-12 drinks and before you know it I black out and my memory is wiped.

But I have an ability to hide how drunk I am, which has its advantages, but obviously is deceitful and bad. I find it too humiliating to seek help, and rehab is out of the question because it is way too expensive. Never been formally diagnosed, but despite this I think it is a safe assumption to say I am an alcoholic. I've quit smoking, so it is possible but the social side of drinking will be the hardest part to quit.

The middle one describes it well, minus the drugs and arrests. It is so fucking bizarre. But I was also like this. I would drink once a month in my early 20s at most, but when I did I would get blackout drunk.

Once you get past a certain point you wont want to drink anymore at all. I stopped drinking early 2017 and went without a drink for months and then drank one night because had to bunker up for a storm and I hated every fucking second of it. Havent drank since. I had started drinking when I was 12 and drank like it was my duty for almost two full decades. Stopping drinking wasnt even hard to do. The best way to do it is to sweat it out. Pick up a shovel and just fucking dig a garden or some shit until you sweat all the toxins out of your body.

You could also look into psychedelics to 'rewire' your brain after not drinking for 1-2 weeks, like 150-200 micrograms of 1p-lsd. Don't use psychedelics, when there's a history of schizophrenia in your family

I've been struggling with alcoholism for 6 years

Liter of vodka a day for at least 3 years

Somehow hold down my STEM job

Probably die soon

>Google: Dihydromyricetin or Ampelopsin

Commie blocks = no garden.
But yeah. Sport will be next. That's how I quite smoking, years ago.

I stopped drinking because I couldn't bear the hangovers any longer. How alcoholics do it is beyond me

You are never hungover if you are drunk all the time. Or at least have enough alcohol in your bloodstream.

No, i am not a filthy fucking degenerate alcoholic. I am like the lord and savior trump, whose lips are virgin to alcohol.

Hangovers are the first step for alcohol detox. Being perpetually drunk, you never begin to detox. Always on the way up.

.t drunk since 2013

Attached: 1455419234591.gif (220x165, 1.96M)

I quit drugs and alcohol over a year ago, and haven't thought about picking it up since. Try going to an AA meeting, it's an hour of your life, and can change it for the better.

You stop getting hang overs after a while.
You will wake up and feel nothing at first.
Then after an hour maybe dry heavy and cough up some bile.
You will have 1-2 shots or beers, and start to feel better. By better I mean numb.
Then you may or may not push through work without drinking. Then you drink another 500 ml of whiskey that night.
Rinse and repeat.

You should also check if you're diabetic. Alcohol contains loads of sugar and it could be that your brain thinks it needs to take in as much sugar as possible as a power ressource, happens in a lot of people from cold countries.

>ive been struggling with alcoholism for 6 years

And you're allowed to vote!?!

That pic looks like my college house. Reading some of these posts makes me realize my drinking isnt even that bad. Man if youve been in and out of rehab for half your life, think of how much time and money you and your loved ones have put in...and you're wasting it by doing the same pattern of behavior.

That is so fucking much alcohol. I drink drinks fast so I stick to beer and sometimes wine. I know people who have gotten to the point where they drink a handle every night kind of like you describe. That is so much fucking alcohol. Theres drinking beer every night and feeling bad about it, then theres putting so much poison in your body that its a wonder you can wake up the next day. Have some self respect polacks, jesus.

Drinking is for teenagers with no confidence and degenerates with no life.

I'm allowed to vote and I've been arrested 46 times

What would the Führer do?

You really do not understand if you are not like that.

Alcohol sales are dominated by a small percentage of the population. I think I was born with this need, since it was a problem since the first time I tried alcohol.

Your brain SCREAMS for it. Picture the love of your life, naked and spread out for you, just begging you to fuck her.

It is more of a temptation than that. Doesn't fucking matter what you have to do the next day, or even a few hours later. It SCREAMS for you to drink more, and every bitter taste is like an orgasm on your tongue.

Tobacco and speed are nothing compared to the fucking pull alcohol has on me.

Attached: 46252153114.jpg (1200x856, 82K)

I never get a hangover. I can get completely blitzed, like drink a 40oz of captain, wake up in the morning and eat a huge meal and carry on with the day like nothing happened the night before.

no but remove negative influences and heavy drinkers

Black ipa just sounds like a hopped stout. Ales are pretty tasty, like trappist quads and trippels myself.

This thread is making me want to drink so fucking bad.

Youre right, i dont understand to that degree. But ive been drunk every night, 7 days a week, for months. Ive killed 12 packs in 4 hours then passed out and gone to work the next day, bought a 12 pack during lunch and did it all again the next night.

I know what you are talking about and i know the haze it puts you in. Im much better than i was. My kill switch was my stomach. Basically 8 months of 6-12 beers per night every single night made it so i shit liquid only and stopping for a month reset my stomach. After that its much easier to take time off because i know my body literally is repairing itself on days where i dont drink.

Best of luck anons. This thread has really inspired me to take 4 days off a week after this weekend. Its been a slow climb but 3 days off per week has made a huge improvement in my mood and health.

I'm so lucky to have dodged drugs, smoking, drinking, etc. due to my aversion to social gatherings rather than by will power against peer pressure.

Sober for 19 days and will continue to be until I lose 20 lbs. Then it’s once a week, if that moving forward.

I usually drink until I wake up on the couch the following day with no memory. No more.

I've been drinking since age 15, heavily since 17. I have made so many bad decisions when drunk that I'm quitting at the moment. I managed two weeks and then relapsed with two bottles of wine and some champagne (no I'm not a middle class white chick before you ask, it was what I had in) and now I'm nearing two weeks again.

Hopefully gonna kick it for good- I did once briefly when I was 22 but 'just having one' sucked me right back in again.

>Anybody else battling this addiction?

I drank to the point of being black out drunk everyday for several years and just decided to quit one day. That was it.

I don't understand how you struggle to quit. Just decide stop.

Attached: whitewomendrunk.jpg (480x360, 23K)

That's the thing - I do not get drunk.
I just have a few every day, without exception.
Now that I stopped for a week I realized I was addicted. And I can't really imagine going out with friends and having a water.

Had watery shits for a few weeks now, and drunk 4 bottles of whiskey on top of my 6-18 beers a day during this month.

Haven't drunk anything for about 38 hours and contents in my life means I cannot drink before tomorrow evening.
About to have a major positive life change and expect to stop completely with the daily drinking.
Used to smoke weed 24/7, then only rarely, then weekends and days off, then 24/7. then rarely and eventually almost completely stopped.

Hope to do the same with alcohol and just enjoy it occasionally.

clean your room you stink

You exactly describe my problem now im scared

not sure if its legal in your country, but i was able to stop alcohol cold turkey without any cravings by taking kratom. i've been drinking heavily for the last 12 years, getting blackout drunk at least twice a week. i'm probably "addicted" to kratom now, but there are no noticable side effects. i feel great and am doing awesome at work. not having the constant thought of my next drink is a great feeling. a just take a few grams of kratom twice a day and i am good to go, when i dont take it i just feel slightly anxious... nothing like booze.

I don't see anything wrong with having a few drinks except that it is pointless.

When I drank I was not satisfied until I got black out wasted.

>And I can't really imagine going out with friends and having a water.

Yeah it kind of sucks. I stopped hanging out with all my friends after a while. I quickly realized I did not even like most of them. They were just fellow drunks who I got wasted with.

>When I drank I was not satisfied until I got black out wasted.
Same. A few drinks wasn't enough. As soon as I started drinking I wouldn't stop. I'd drink everything I had and go back for more and keep drinking till I passed out.

I can drink a few beers every day and get depressed in a week. I can smoke a few hits every day and continue that for months.

Aren't you all depressed in there for 300 days of the year anyway?

The hangovers is what made me cut back. Nothing like wasting a whole day of your week feeling like shit. Spend a week sober and go do shit with your life.

>Original meme.

Yes and no. Our way of being is melancholic. As a nation we are among the happiest.

Is that legal there?

>As a nation we are among the happiest.

Fuck this liar. Who sent you, was it Sipilä?

get the fuck out of my country fucking mudpeople

no, drinking while driving is illegal.

I read that some states allow you to drink and drive as long as you're under the limit. However I have not verified this myself.

>German flag
>hates beer
Diversity everybody! Isn’t it nice, I feel culturally enriched right now

The biggest problem I have with drinking is the cost of alcohol. Its taxed out the Ying yang here and can add up quickly.

Aside from that I have mostly positive views on alcohol. Yes I am starting to feel worse in the morning after drinking, but can still function. Gaining weight isn't so much a problem because I run 5k 4-6 times a week.

I think it's mostly a social thing for me but I like to drink to get drunk. A bad thing about drinking is that I really crave cigarettes after a couple, but I've been working on it.