What are you reading right now, Jow Forums?

What are you reading right now, Jow Forums?

Attached: Lapis_Reading.png (700x394, 186K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(novel_series)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

this thread

Still "Wizard's First Rule"

Global Rule 13. Apparently avatarfagging isn't allowed

Attached: 1529142687271.png (398x622, 309K)

Do you like Dostoevsky so far? Is this your first book by him?
Cool, have fun!

I'm neutral. I have read only crime and punishment because it was obligatory reading in high school.

13 hours. It’s about the private contractors that were in Benghazi when the embassy got attacked in 2012

just try to imagine it from their point of view - their real life is so horrifying that they have come here, Jow Forums, the third most squalid hole on Jow Forums, to roleplay as the only way to escape their meaningless and incomprehensible existence.
sure, they're breaking the rules, but if they faced anything longer than a 3 day ban they'd probably kill themselves.

I'm currently reading Notes From The Underground and really enjoying it.
After i'm finished, what should I read of him next?

Surprisingly enough "Crime and Punishment" is one thing by him I never finished. Probably because they made it obligatory reading in school.

The "Idiot" is definetley a must read, probably the best novel by him. "Notes from the underground" is the second best for me, closely followed by "The Brothers Karamazov".

>The Mafia
It's pretty interesting, a whole lot of stuff i didn't know about the mafia and the book seems well sourced with plenty of direct interviews with people involved.

Attached: 2DEA8CC5-8EC1-475F-94D6-F08E58E1942F-5201-000006BF9CF0D0A7.jpg (647x1008, 44K)

Thanks for the recommendation, trying to get deeper into Russian lit.

This one. Outdated, but a bit interesting

Attached: 114cf.jpg (389x618, 23K)

Glad to help. We have tons of great writers both in the Russian Empire and in USSR. If you want any other recomendations on Russian, lit, you are more than welcome to ask!
I've always been kinda distnat from the tech sphere, but have noticed that a lot of people from post-Soviet territories seem to be utterly fascinated by it.

So, is it written like a novel with factual background or a documentary?

There's a family library in my parents' house, that has about 60% of 'technical' literature. The other part is Ukrainian and Russian lit.

I am lucky enough to have one too, but its like 90% literary read and like 10% of old and relatively new textbooks mostly on law and politics.

Knowledge and Decisions - Thomas Sowell
Yotsuba& 6 - Kiyohiko Azuma (rereading for the millionth time)
Meditations - Marcus Aurelius (at a really slow pace, almost done with it)

I am reading Mika Waltari's The Secret of the Kingdom for the second time.

The only other book I have read two times was Douglas Adams's Mostly Harmless.

>rereading for the millionth time
Is it really all that good?
How good is "The Secret Kingdom" so far? Would you recommend it?

I have all the volumes of Yotsuba, I really like it personally. I'll sometimes read a chapter before I start reading my "main" book every night, which in this case is Knowledge and Decisions. The latter is pretty dense, so it's nice to start it off with a little bit of cute fun.

Attached: 1451118892845.jpg (359x500, 91K)

Oh, so its a manga? Could have probably guessed by the title and author. Not too much into this stuff, but maybe its because I have hardly read any. Knowledge and Decisions sounds tempting though.

a medical responsability lawsuit

I hate fairyland

Good shit lads

Yeah, Yotsuba is a manga. Knowledge and Decisions is a good read, Sowell is a great author. It plays with a lot of ideas, but one of the principle ideas is classifying types of knowledge, the decisions that are informed by the knowledge, and feedback mechanisms that change and transfer knowledge. Some parts of it can get pretty economic, so I'd recommend a bit of knowledge on economics, like the law of diminishing returns and whatnot.

>How good is "The Secret Kingdom" so far? Would you recommend it?
I would. It's not a religious book although it tells about the founding days of Christianity.
On the contrary it's indeed incredibly vulgar and incredibly fantastic at the same time. Also timeless in it's way of expression. I have felt no cringe at any point at all. That's why the second round for me.

The strange case of Dexter Ward from a H.P. Lovecraft collection that I bought a while ago, but I never really had the desire to read them besides liking eldritch horror series and video games.
So I coudn't just let them gather dust and picked it up again. Still don't know why I totally ignored them until now. heh

Attached: 1528404364352.jpg (249x249, 14K)

Bill Kreutzmann's "Deal" about drumming with the Grateful Dead. I read Phil Lesh's autobiography and then started this book.

Also ignored Lovecraft for quite a while. I can't say I absolutely fell in love with his work, but I've got to admit he has managed to create a very interesting subgenre and a very unique world.
Hm... that sounds like something I've never ran into before. But then again, I am not very familiar with Finnish literature. Thanks for the recommendation, I will surely put it on my reading list!
I have a very basic knowledge of economivcs, had this subject in school and on during my first year. Not sure if its going to be enough to take up "Knowledge and Decisions". Thanks for the advice though!

did you get it in English or as a German translation?

German translation, but I know his original writing style is lost throught translation.
Just got them for the content of stories, I guess.

Have you read anything in both English and German? I kind of wonder how much of it can get lost in the translation. Some people think it's pretentious, but I really enjoy his prose. The same overuse of adjectives should be something that can be done in German too though, right?

Well it's actually a word to word translation even with the racist flowers of speech, but something is missing.

I had some problems reading the original English version of Dagon to have a comparison to the translation, because of the English he used, but it felt somehow more right.

Get ready for the gratuitous BDSM sequence.

The Expanse thing.

Attached: download.jpg (637x358, 81K)

What's that?

>Thanks for the recommendation,
Please try.

Watchmen
I like it

crime and punishment - dostoyevsky
farewell to arms - hemmingway
going postal - pratchett

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(novel_series)
Quality hard sci-fi.

I'm not really into manga either but I really liked Yotsuba, you should give it a try.

This is actually a good one.

Your stupid thread description

gary hopper

Attached: 1531049411176.jpg (655x527, 55K)

Well, I've never read anything from Finnish authors, so I don't see why not. Especially since it sounds rather intriguing. Thanks again!
I see, sci-fi isn't really my thing, unfortunately, but when its good its really good. Have fun!
Manga always scared me off a bit with its sheer length. I look at some that consist of hundreds of issues with no end in sight. But I might give this one a try if you recommend it.

Fire and Fury

Yeah I'm not even close to finishing Yotsuba but the nice thing about it is that you could take a break and then read the next chapter a few weeks later because they're all separate short little stories rather than one long continuous one.

>Thanks again!
Absolutely. :)

>Quality hard sci-fi.
Looks like it's just me and you.

I loved Planetes. Have you read it?

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

No, is it related to that Japanese thing about space debris?
Watched half of it, don't know why stopped.

Manga is better. It almost always is.

Your face

My little sister's one direction fanfiction.

"Learning Conversational Japanese

Japanese for Beginners"

By Sachiko Toyozato

ur post

Attached: 13413977.jpg (304x475, 25K)