Haven't had a good /lit/ thread in quite a while. What are you reading, Jow Forums?

Haven't had a good /lit/ thread in quite a while. What are you reading, Jow Forums?

Attached: 35634734737.jpg (1200x900, 222K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jimgoad.net/pdf/violence/prey.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=PYEJFSsfEcs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: 1520169797522.png (230x230, 10K)

Jow Forums posts

i'm reading your post

Karl Marx u?

jimgoad.net/pdf/violence/prey.pdf

youtube.com/watch?v=PYEJFSsfEcs

Attached: whatissex.gif (480x479, 263K)

The ego and his own
Critique of pure reason

why arent you reading hegel instead?

I usually have several books going at a time. Currently its mainly Catch-22 which was recommended by one of the anons here on Jow Forums. The second one is the Dialogues of Plato, which I have picked up just recently.
How do you like Karl Marx so far?
Kant is a pretty heavy philosopher. Do you like it?

Don't know. I just started getting into capitalism critics (because I don't like the direction the world is going). And I thought the guy was rather smart when he succeeded to cause so much instability in the world.

What is Hegel about?

Attached: images-1.jpg (183x275, 9K)

I listened to an audiobook of the manifesto. Hes more of a politically philosopher tho.

marx bases his stuff off hegel and kind of misses the entire point to just warp hegelian ideas to suit his agenda.
Capitalism isnt hard to critique and marx is really boring to read. Youre not trying capital are you?

Never heard about Catch-22, what is it about?
Ah well Marx is your typical academic. Good thoughts but way too much talk to express simple ideas. Maybe I'm just a pleb, I don't know.
Still enjoying reading about his thoughts, I'm really sick because of our system and its nice to read about other ideas.

Attached: Dollarnote_siegel_hq.jpg (720x726, 692K)

I was actually asking about Kant, since you said you were reading the Critique of Pure Reason. I found him intriguing, yet a bit hard to read due to all his works being too... I don't know, I guess "academic" would be the right word.

Yes I am reading the capital.

But as I stated above I have those exact feelings when reading him.
He is talking too much and wants to sound extra smart and it gets boring.

I'm all about the ideas and if you are saying that he got his ideas from Hegel than I will look into that. Thanks.

Attached: 691.jpg (800x1170, 661K)

Catch-22 is a great read, very glad Jow Forums recommended me reading it. Its mostly centered around a single idea (although I'm about half-way through, so I can't say for sure yet), but I really like the way its written.
Marx was also recommended here a couple of times, but I am still not sure if I can handle the whole "Capital". I guess I will eventually have to, since his ideas had so much influence on society, but it will be a challenge.
Also, you are very lucky to be German, since I've heard some of Marx's ideas often get lost in the translation. I do speak German a bit, but hardly enough to get through Capital.

Im still on authors note and introduction. Kant is interesting since he had an impact on basically all philosophy afterwards. I like just started reading it so idk much

Well, hope you find his works enjoyable. I liked his ideas, but he just seems to express them in an overly academic fashion. I haven't read that much of him though.

yeah, capital is like reading a brick and its not unintentional. Its supposed to be inaccessible so plebs just read the communist manifesto and think thats it imo.
Hegel is less political than marx but all marx does it take what looks like a hegelian foundation and follow that but is, in reality, flawed from the beginning.
Youre kinda putting the cart before the horse here because as points out, a lot of major philosophers had huge impact on the later ones and you cant really start at the 19th century. A lot also came as a reaction against others (kant did) so its a little silly to read them without first knowing what theyre reacting to.
Basically, its a good idea to start at the beginning and work forwards but it is a long road. The early ones are more fun though; a lot of the 18th and 19th century is so dry and verbose.

yeah each philosopher basically criticizes the other and or expands or reduces upon the other. i mean i understand alot of the early greeks and what they were trying to get at. but i don't really got the time to read all of their works. Did decarte write any books?

I've never got far at all into Marx or Hegel, but I always thought it weird communists take about the dialectical method but are also totalitarian.. Doesn't the dialect go on forever?

The Devine Comedy

Mothgirl gf is based.

Nothing too crazy. Just been reading some stuff from Brandon Sanderson

Do you like it? I really wish I could speak Italian, so got the chance to read the original. Russian translation is also fantastic though.
Never heard of him. Would you recommend giving him a shit?

a lot of the classics are no less relevant today. The dialogues are fun as well because theyre like a little play almost. Theyre also short.
Havent read decarte but he almost certainly did. Im not usually a fan of french bozoes
>Doesn't the dialect go on forever?
So does the revolution.
Most of what commies say is total doublethink nonesense. They like to pretend what theyre saying is rooted in science, reason and fact but the obvious fact that everybody is not fundamentally equal (just take physical strength as the example) flies in their face so they claim its unscientific.

*giving his a shot

I'm still at Inferno but like it a lot, can't wait to read Paradiso

Attached: 19031.jpg (406x440, 33K)

Inferno is the most interesting part in my opinion though

I'm reading this.

Attached: image.jpg (196x300, 31K)

He's a fantasy writer. So if you're into that, then yes. But it looks like most people here are reading about politics or non fiction

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm personally not too much into fantasy stuff, but a lot of people on Jow Forums seem to be. Discworld, for example, has been mentioned a couple of times here.
Would you recommend it?

Yeah definitely. It's got some really amazing story to read as it goes through Sven Hassel's journey during WW2 as he conducted his service for Germany.

I'm not a huge reader but I like Sanderson. He's the guy who finished out the wheel of time series after the original author died.

im reading the biography of Field marshal Shukov

Do you really like him?
Thanks, gonna put it on my reading list. Will be nice to follow WW II themed books once I finish Catch-22.
Nice. I'll keep the author in mind. Good fantasy is always a pleasure to read.

well you see in that book he wrote about live in tsars Russia , about how it was to be the peasant , he told the story of usual man back then and i was impressed by the honesty of his writing. I only have done reading his first book but you know he shows the cruel reality before revolution and even though hes commie i havent seen any propoganda back there

I see, I thought it was more about his career as a WW II marshal, where he didn't do all that well as far as I know. If its about his early life and the general picture of life in the Russian Empire and USSR, then I guess it should be fairly interesting to pick up. Although, I do think a bit (or a lot) of bias is simply inevitable.

still the same thing as always, I literally read like 10 pages since last time...
Hopefully tomorrow I spend my day in a car travelling so I'll be able to finish the 2 sociology books I'm reading and finally start the last Warrior Cats

well there sure is a bias cause he write in his book about his way from tsars officer into red i cant call that propaganda but there definitely something like that. You see I only like books about real stuff thats why that book give me auch impression his childhood was very cruel, he was studying at some cratftman who was very cruel and beat all his "students" and that was common thing only rich kids were studying in universities .after seeing what it is to live in Tsars Russia you start to admire the Great october revolution. so i wonder if you can reccomend me some real based book like biography or smth. Thank you!

Yeah, I feel your pain. I took the challenge of reading Marquez once... it was a nightmare forcing myself through that.
Yeah, that sounds pretty interesting. When it comes to biographies, I'm really all over the place, as there are tons of people I really enjoyed reading about. Heidrich Reinhard was an interesting guy to read about, as you can actually see how a person who didn't really care about politics at all became one of the most infamous Nazi activists. Also found Napoleon's biography quite a delight, but that's inevitable, I guess, due to what an extraordinary character he was. Same goes for Alexander the Great (although I didn't really finish this one). But that's just the first things that come to my mind. History is very rich with people worth reading about.

thanks man have a nice day

>well there sure is a bias cause he write in his book about his way from tsars officer into red
The soviets wouldve killed him for talking shit on the union if he was writing at that time you realise?
>after seeing what it is to live in Tsars Russia you start to admire the Great october revolution.
Was it really great? How many russian dead and for what? The "revolution" itself is interesting though. Tsarist Russia wasnt fantastic either but the early USSR was awful and even once it stabilised I wouldnt call it great.

fucking nerds go to the gym

Thanks, you too!

oi do you have loicense for a posting ? btw please lets not talk bout it

hello lapisfag russian, we missed you :)

>not reading inbetween sets
never gonna make it

Attached: Reading-in-Gym.jpg (620x349, 109K)

it's not really that I have to force myself but when I watch cartoons the whole night I'm too sleepy to read after it :x

Well, I haven't been away for that long. Missed you all too though!
I guess it depens on the stuff you are reading. Some books are just impossible to lay down until you are through.

Attached: 56467489.gif (540x443, 96K)