What is your opinion on piracy, Jow Forums? How much does it hurt music/game etc. industries?

What is your opinion on piracy, Jow Forums? How much does it hurt music/game etc. industries?

Attached: 345634634636.jpg (811x658, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

baka.com.au/technology/nails-frontman-urges-fans-to-steal-music-20070918-gdr4wt.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

dunno i only download cars

pirating music doesn't hurt the artists at all it hurts the faggots who used to charge $30 for a cd

here's nine inch nails urging australians to pirate/steal their stuff

baka.com.au/technology/nails-frontman-urges-fans-to-steal-music-20070918-gdr4wt.html

forgot pic

Attached: msc-1-04-c1_page1.png (1300x960, 85K)

I guess its also because music is really overpriced, especially when you take into account that its much easier to pirate, than most other kinds of media. Games can work only with an internet connection, for example, while the same can hardly be applied to music.

le blogging gril
If i could i would.

Not as much as they'd like you to believe.

Its quite complicated, I suppose. When it comes to games, they treat every downloaded one as a lost customer, when in fact the person probably wouldn't have bought it, had it not been "free".

honestly, I think art should be always free
As a musician, I don't care if people steal my music (well 90% of my stuff is free anyways)

The problem though is that making money as a musician is, in my opinion, harder than making money as a visual artist for example. They sell commissions a lot, and their patreons are usually way more efficients.
I'm not jealous or anything, but it feels like people are willing to pay for visuals but not for music o/

I think we should be able to access any form of art for free, and then we should, as a normal thing to do, support the artists we like the most.

If you want to get free music but while helping the artists, I suggest streaming music (there are a lot of platforms, the only bad one is youtube). It's not a lot of money but it's still something ^^

why do you repeatedly violate community standards? does it give you a thrill?

>honestly, I think art should be always free
That is a good thought, but unfortunately, this just doesn't always work in the real world. Artists need money too, for a lot of them money is one of the key motivations for making art in the first place. And that's one of the problems, stopping art from flourishing... You have to dedicate your whole soul to it, while risking getting absolutely nothing in return. A few centuries ago we at least had wealthy patrons to support it.

>but it feels like people are willing to pay for visuals but not for music o/
Yeah, I've noticed this too. I guess its because music is a much more abstract thing than visual art. When commissioning the latter its a piece of cake to describe precisely what you want. When it comes to music... I doubt most people even know what exactly

Now I feel kinda bad for using YouTube as my main music provider. What platforms would you recommend?

piracy, and pirates, were my tools, and demographic
I support it
created a lot of jobs
paved way for musicians
solidified Adobe as a tool & dye company; of sorts
>macs

I won't go on

How exactly am I damaging the community by posting the same character once a day? I'm
genuinely curious.

doesn't hurt artists one bit
labels job is to sell, not to whine about being cucked in free market, if they can't its their problem, fuck them

Piracy is a good thing. It makes industries compete with the ease of access it provides.

I'll happily give goreshit two or three times the asking price of his music on bandcamp because I really like it and bandcamp is an excellent service.

Attached: __shirasaka_koume_idolmaster_and_idolmaster_cinderella_girls_drawn_by_okusan4645__sample-d4abd00a2bf (850x601, 138K)

That wasn't very clear.

You can pay what you want for music on bandcamp. To give an artist what I think their music is worth with traditional record labels I'd have to buy multiple copies of an album or 'special editions', and in both situations I end up with nebulous stuff that I don't need or want.

That's actually sounds like a very good practice. Some artists on Patreon are doing pretty much the same kind of thing by locking only some little bonuses under a paywall, or letting the patrons receive content faster. And they do get paid handsomely my generous people. I think I also saw a game or two somewhere with a "pay if you feel like supporting us" system.

In its current state its a positive thing. But that's mostly because most people don't want to bother with torrents and stuff. Not sure how exactly it will play out when more people get versed on the technological sphere. Yet, I guess Isle of Man is suggesting a nice solution.

cuka blyat

I pirate it.
I like it.
I buy it.

I pirate it.
I don't like it.
I don't buy it.

Seems fair enough to me

Nothing immoral about it. The real money is in advertising and live performances anyway, as other anons in thread said.

Another thing I've noticed about pirating - sometimes its much better than buying the actual product. There are times when I really want to buy a movie/show and support the developer, but damn, do they make it hard to do. Almost all platforms will allow you to buy it only for streaming and only in your native language (for some reason). Pirating pretty much gives you access to original ones without any dubbing.

I know that free art causes money problems
and that's why I think we should automatically support the artists we like
It would be more efficient that paying for stuff you might not like
But well it only work with a certain amount of trust

Well I don't know if I'd recommand any platform in particular, because if you use spotify instead (for example) you have to watch shitty ads and stuff.
Don't feel bad if you watch through youtube though, it still brings views and eventually visibility that will give money later
It's not that youtube doesn't give money, but they give way less money per stream than music-only platforms. But if you make it more popular (which is actually easier with youtube than spotify or others) you will still help, and that's still cool

The biggest problem isn't piracy or free streams tbdesu, it's the fact that big companies take a giant cut while they did nothing but giving some money, but as a costumer there's not many things we can do for that

kys pira... whoops wrong thread

Attached: kimishima.png (296x356, 233K)

The most they are pissed about is how they have lost control over the business as authors, I think. They are still making money as usual, but to be forced to adopt new business models enrages them the most, I believe. Companies are no more that big of a dictators controlling everything like they used to do. Especially they are pissed on how much they have lost the grip on ruling people's tastes on things. It's true.

This.

Also if there's something I can't buy in my country or region I pirate it and then try to support the creators buying other stuff like merch if possible.

Yeah, trust is a big component in these issues. The reputation also plays a significant role, I believe. Some companies are practicing such dirty tactics in running their business, that people don't want to give them money even if they like some of their products. Check out EA, for example. Lots of people still enjoy their franchises, but will not buy them just to show how terrible their attitude towards consumers is.

Guess YouTube isn't that bad after all. Its just, somethimes music videos are uploaded by completeley random users, that don't really have to do anythong with the original artist. But as you have mentioned, it does make them more popular, so that should be at least something, I guess.
They will have to face the reality eventually. With the advance of stuff like proxies, TOR etc. it will be a matter of a couple of years before most people manage to bypass their restrictions. Here in Russia you will be looked down upon if you purchase any kind of software, films, games etc. Its just considered a waste of money.

Fucking russhit piratefags. Worst country on Jow Forums.

Attached: 1447457849276.jpg (500x508, 67K)

a lot