What do you know about the numbers stations bant?

What do you know about the numbers stations bant?
What are they really?

Attached: SWLingPost-Spy-Numbers-Station.jpg (640x312, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

numbers-stations.com/articles/fbi-operation-solo-numbers-stations-revealed/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

they are

Military instructions in code

That aren't used anymore

just /x/ having a boner on old cold war soviet stations

What for though?

in my somewhat educated guess, me thinks it was but in a contingency for in case the SHTF and soviet forces were trapped in isolated pockets around wherever they were stationed and lost contact with command if a nuclear war occurred.

its for bingo

There are confirmed cases of them being used for espionage.They're still being used,but most of them switched to digital modes since tech has advanced so much.You can hear hundreds of one- way transmissions every day,most of them using mfsk and cw.The so called "diplomatic" transmissions are probably used for illegal spying too.

Why make them public on a shortwave frequency then? They're not encrypted or even hidden. Most military frequencies are UHF.
See above.

They are
This

They still exist, but are used very infrequently.
Codes, one time pad, you only need a radio to listen to them so nothing incriminating

There are transmission schedules online.I picked up 2 voice and a dozen cw messages yesterday.You can't really call that infrequent.

Infrequent for most people maybe. Eastern Euros could probably find them often because of soviet spergs building them everywhere

I know about the OTP theory but i find it hard to believe. It would only take one person and enough time to decipher any message. We're not translating the voynich manuscript here.

The regular numbers stations (that are just normal radio broadcasts) aren't broadcasting codes (or do systems tests or whatever) very frequently AFAIK There's a good list online of times when something different was broadcasted and it didn't seem to be common at all last time I checked (which is a while back)

You sure? The whole point of OTP is that it's secure but its downside is that sharing the "pad" can be a hassle
>In cryptography, the one-time pad (OTP) is an encryption technique that cannot be cracked, but requires the use of a one-time pre-shared key the same size as, or longer than, the message being sent
And the point is that you don't need any peculiar equipment to get the message, just a radio is enough

Look if the OTP theory was true one of the pads would've shown up by now or someone would've deciphered the message. Most numbers stations have between 5 and 7 numbers being transmitted which as you stated already.
>the same size as, or longer than, the message being sent
What fucking message are you going to send that only has 5 to 7 letters in it?
>GO AWAY
>GO HERE
>STAY UP
The messages would be too short given how short the string of numbers is. If you've ever seen an OTP pad they have long strings of numbers not some short little snippet.

FBI got a hold on a few deciphered messages in the 50's.Said messages were brief and could be deciphered by hand in a few minutes.A big portion of the messages is usually just padding to make traffic analysis harder.

Proof?

numbers-stations.com/articles/fbi-operation-solo-numbers-stations-revealed/

Good shit but this is just one. There's enough numbers there to use OTP but when you look at E03 Lincolnshire Poacher there's only 5 digits.
How do you account for shorter messages?

Uhhh.. I'm so lost on this thread, dont understand a shit

Coudn't it be that the shorter codes, when deciphered, reveal a code word or something which they've memorized?

Numbers stations are mysterious shortwave radio broadcasts that have short messages usually in a female voice (sometimes children) reading numbers with music or other sounds in the background.
While many believe it to be spies communicating or leftover remnants of cold war sleepers or even secret government communications nobody can really be sure as the numbers stations vary between broadcasts.
Unlikely as it would mean almost nothing and the transmissions are too short for any meaningful message to be anything meaningful which throws the OTP theory out the window. OTP only made sense because it's almost impossible to decipher but the messages are far too short for OTP.
Once you'd get the short message no amount of deciphering is going to change that.
If the numbers stations were all transmitting long strings of numbers then I could understand it being some kind of encrypted communication but too many of them have a 5-7 string of numbers which might as well be worthless. Then you have to think about why make it shortwave where any amateur can pick it up instead of UHF?
Why have music in the background?
There's too many questions surrounding the numbers stations. I think that while some are definitely spy communications or what have you the shorter ones have to be something else.

Shit, i love america. Tell me more about it

> 5 digits
There seem to be a lot of 5 digit groups in every recorded Linconshire poacher message.

I think the Wikipedia article actually answers most of your question (or gives hints towards an answer).
>Unlikely as it would mean almost nothing
It could be a way of alerting a large amount of sleeper cells or agents, say a "go to your posts" type message. And depending on how much trust you're willing to put into memorization, they could be much longer orders but given as a code word. MFTG could mean "go to position A and be ready to do act if given the follow-up code" etc.
>which throws the OTP theory out the window
The OTP way of transmitting the code word securely. You can beat out their memorized orders and the code words for them, but without the pad you still wouldn't know what code word was just transmitted.
>Then you have to think about why make it shortwave where any amateur can pick it up
Well that's the point, anyone can pick them up, you don't need anything specific for it so it's not suspicious. And you'd only need to get to a radio to get the message.
>Why have music in the background?
Start of message, end of message, nature of message etc. A lot of possibilities.

They can be found all over the world favela monkey. They're not exclusive to just America. There's german, slavic and even spanish numbers stations relaying god knows what to god knows who.
It all comes down to what information you want to believe. Some people believe that they tie in with the many conspiracy theories surrounding Soviet era sleepers in the US. As croatia user said the FBI has done some research on it but that only accounts for one broadcast. What they do all have in common is they're all shortwave radio which most people can pickup on a HAM radio BUT the military uses UHF (ultra high frequency) to transmit coded messages which throws the military angle out the window since the government is smarter than to have their ass out in the wind like that.
Biggest question.
Why make it so blatantly obvious?
This all stinks of suicide sleepers created by mkultra.

>Why make it so blatantly obvious?
Why make it so blatantly obvious what, that messages are being send? Well, Cubans found out that it being so public has a downside. But there's always the plausible deniability in them. But i think in most cases it's used in rather extraordinary situations to alert a bunch of people and for that, I guess it works.

Never seen to happen here in my country. Things like this shit trigger me out, like, why would the government send crypt messages? Gonna those questions have answers in the future?

>Why make it so blatantly obvious?
With HF you can transmit directly into foreign countries and the intended recipient of the message is impossible to track down.There is no need to hide the transmission itself since the messages are encrypted,so why bother developing something too sophisticated? Satellites have been used since the 80's but carrying something high tech like a satellite terminal is risky.

Attached: kgb3_large.jpg (1606x2102, 468K)

I was thinking in the prob of developing a new tech would be a waste of time, since could cost money, and could be easily hacked