Question for English speakers (native or not) – how many of underlined words do you know?

Question for English speakers (native or not) – how many of underlined words do you know?
I play Sunless Sea now and have to translate manually every third word – my English knowledge too weak for this game or it just an old unused words that no one knows?

Attached: NnkaYfowBhc.jpg (366x388, 57K)

Some of those words are "outdated" depending on what country you/re in, but I guess it makes sense for the context of the game (assuming it takes place in historic London, maybe some pirate-era stuff?). If people were to use words like "gallivant" and "entwine" nowdays though they're most likely those unironic fedora-wearing chaps who post steampunk shit on r*ddit

"bosun" is still a valid word in english-speaking navies nowadays though, I think. "moustache" too, obviously

"Gallivanter" was the only one I hadn't seen before, but they are all definitely not entry-level english. It's written in an older style so it's totally understandable that you wouldn't understand everything.

Attached: 1531566211361.gif (500x281, 610K)

everything except gallivanter

Fallen London>S*nless s*a

Are these text-based games or something

Everything except bosun, but that's pretty easy to guess that it's some ship rank
And some words you only would speak rarely, like entwine, but you can use them in writing no problem

A lot of Sunless Sea is old-timey English and naval terminology and it's a very wordy game to boot.
If your English isn't up to snuff, it's going to be a rocky road, especially because the wordy bits are the main appeal.

gallivanter is a poof
on top of a crate with a bunch of splinters
jumps onto
tentacle like things entangle or wrap around
making a chittery sound like a squirrel or something
looking at something with your eyes
go up and down like a buoy
half sphere like
facial hair above the mouth and below the nose
a wooden piece protruding from the side of a ship
not sure what bosun is

Not a native but I can guarantee these words can be found usually in English literature. I've seen entwine though I don't recall gallivan. Anyway wasting your time on a shitposting board isn't gonna help you get the gist of the game.
ecли хoтитe игpaть лyчшe в игpy, дoлжны читaть книги нa aнглийcкoм.

yay my duolingo lessons are paying off ^.^

Moustache is very basic, isn't it?
btw, I knew them all except gallivanter and bosun.

Oh come on, some of those are unknown to me, but stuff like "crate", "leap", "gaze", "moustache" etc. are basic stuff.

Same here.

all of those words are very common here but wtf is "blemmigan"

Everything but the second-to-last one

'Moustache' is the spelling used here. Brits, Aussies, Kiwis and South Africans, how do you spell it?

wtf is "bobs" btw

It seems I have to read some lovecraft before playing for weird words + go deeper into basics ().
Many thanks guys!

Play Fallen London instead

Attached: tumblr_o1jbqugrKD1uq1cigo1_540.png (540x731, 115K)

jumps

Я иcпoльзoвaл пpoкcи. Пoжeлaйтe мнe yдaчy нa экзaмeнe.

it means it nodded/bowed/moved it's head

>gallivanter is a poof
i cant tell if thats a joke or if you're actually retarded
>gallivanter is a person who goes off or travels around in search of amusement, fun or adventure.
most English native speakers will definitely know the meaning of these words
>Bosun: a ships officer incharge of equipment and crew

okay, thx ,_,

nah it was a joke. most the the definitions I gave were sly jokes. That one was just a little more abrupt.

All but bosun

Gallivanter does however suggest someone who takes extravagant journeys or ventures into the unknown. I wouldnt be suprised if gallivanter has at some point had a similar meaning to "dogger" or "cottager" or "bugger" etc.

Native English speaker here.
"Gallivanter" is a rarely used word.
"Bosun" and "gangplank" are something specific to sailing and isn't much used outside that.
Everything else is relatively common.

All of them

10/11
The first one is the only one i dont know
but it looks pretty french

Bitch lasagna, how yous not of knowings this yet?

Attached: pakalu.jpg (600x600, 26K)