Jow Forums cuisine

Those of you who have ascended beyond microwavables and cold snacks, tell me, what are you baking/frying/smoking/otherwise cooking? I've just spent this morning preparing breakfast for the roomate and I, and I made spam (reduced sodium), monty jack cheese slices (wanted cheddar, but the only example I had had already gone bad), and lettuce english muffin sandwich, first by frying the spam in cooking oil and then grilling the muffin and cheese grilled-cheese style before combining the two with the lettuce, served with watermelon. Between the butter and cooking oil, can't recommend for a healthy diet, but I got no complaints and it's an affordable dish to make.

Attached: Bakeno.jpg (850x618, 105K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bakefromscratch.com/candied-citrus-cake/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

seems like you just heated some spam and put it on a sandwich

Attached: 1535766593296.jpg (600x600, 33K)

Salmon, with light merlot cheese baked into a croissant.

You can have the recipe;

The salmon is cut into 4 cm squares, soaked in lemon juice for 15 minutes (I don't want too much, browse Jow Forums to pass time). Slightly blot them to relieve moisture, then added with seasoning. The seasoning mix I use is 2 parts lemon pepper, 1 part fresh ground black pepper, a tiny pinch of mesquite seasoning to add a savory flavor. Rub it into the salmon. Then, add a slice of merlot cheese (I use the Bellavitano ones), and prepare some croissant dough.

Cut croissant dough into triangles large enough to fit the salmon, then add a small bit of sage to the center of them. Place salmon topped with merlot onto the sage and croissant, then fold edges to top. Smear some butter onto the bottoms to add flavor and a crisp golden color to them

Lightly oil a baking tray, then place the salmon croissant hybrids on them. Bake at 410°F for about 17 minutes, my oven is sub par so yours might be different.

I usually cook about 8 of these at a time.

Attached: IMG_20180504_181926_903.jpg (1824x1824, 562K)

I never thought about using mesquite before as a seasoning. What are its properties?

It adds a smoky flavor, it's not pungent, or sweet, it's just smoky. Think of the smell of wood burning (the barbecue kind). It's great in burgers and really brings out the juices. It's easily absorbed by meat and makes a really good rub. The one I use is the McCormick ones, it's ground up so you can blend it with other spices.

Attached: 20180901_165735_Film3-1.jpg (2615x1912, 643K)

Those are just a blend of existing spices...

Attached: 1534926225229.jpg (480x640, 19K)

When I was back at home, I used to cook a lot of different stuff, like rhubarb pie, lemon pie, cookies and crepes, and a lot of french recipes you probably never heard of, like tartiflette, fondues, pot-au-feu, or boeuf bourguignon.
But now, I don't have access to the tools or the ingredients necessary for many of those recipes, so I'm kind of back to square one...

No shit, I'm not gonna take a cheese grater to a tree

Kot blini

Attached: 1515503513726.jpg (320x292, 27K)

Evidently though, I wonder what interesting spices one could extract from locally grown vegetation. I think that a certain type of leaf that grows near where I live can be dried and eaten, while I've likewise got chives growing in random patches around my lawn.

Nice, make sure they're not poisonous though. I have a spearmint bush on the side of my house. It's pretty big since I avoid hitting it with the mower. You can make some good egg with that chive!

I've used the chives many times, but they aren't really reliable. Old patches quit growing, new ones sprout out in the middle of the grass. If I was less lazy, I'd try to centralize them into a single garden.

Speaking of mint, I heard you could use them to readily make tea from, and peppermint grow like weeds once established.

As long as no other plants grow nearby and asphyxiate it, you can grow peppermint rather easily. It doesn't require any maintenance really.

Sounds nice. Probably add some honey to the tea to soothe a sore throat or something. I have the same chive problem. They arent really the best. You can tell it's chive, but it's not as good for food.

The one good thing about chives is that they're hardy plants that can survive a bitter winter. I've had more luck with them then trying to grow potatoes.

Here's some DELICIOUS baka cuisine:

A tasty treat!

Attached: sandwich.png (653x416, 165K)

I hunt so I cook with venison a lot. Venison is very lean. Ground up it's excellent in burritos or in spaghetti. The backstrap or cube steak can be salted and peppered and fried with bell peppers and onions in olive oil, or floured and deep fried in vegetable oil. It can also be grilled. It's butchered thin, so 2 minutes per side on the grill yields a mid-rare cutlett.

It's great paired with mashed potatoes and green beans.

that sounds delicious. I wasn't raised by a hunting family but my uncle got into it, I should try and go out with him one day if only to try and get some meat of my own.

also IDLE id get checked

It's also very healthy compared to factory-farmed beef. The only limitation is its leanness. I never try to make hamburger patties with it, since they dry out and fall apart on the grill. Some people have success mixing eggs and bread into it, but I never have.

Never butchered an animal before, though have broken open the bones of some post-butcher to obtain the marrow as an additive for meatloaf. It adds a richness to the texture which people who have eaten it are positive on. But it goes bad fast on its own, freezing it changes the texture, and it's difficult to store.

Yeah, I've heard that before. Maybe some homemade sausages would work well with it?

I've never tried cooking with the marrow, but I could definitely see that

Definitely, and it also makes excellent jerky

I got one of those Jurassic Park popsicle making-thingies and followed the instruction to fill it with milk. What am I doing with my life?

>milk
Why?

Why not make buck meatloaf?

That's what the instructions said.

Chocolate chip cookies.

A cracker sandwich, or, crackers in between two pieces of buttered toast with seasoning. Authentic English cuisine.

seasoning
English cuisine.
lole

Actually, many English dishes use large amounts of salt as a preservative. Maritime cuisine and all.

Where can you get ingredients cheaply? I never have anything good to cook with.

You ever tried honey glazing a bun before? It seems that it always drips to the bottom of a pan instead of adhering to the bread.

Have you tried smoking it?

Attached: e1tpbikz04701.jpg (423x780, 69K)

Attached: What.png (320x276, 293K)

Hunt hogs. They are everywhere and very tasty.

And I in turn made sausage on a stick wrapped in between another sausage and beer-basted. I believe that is how your kind typically prepares dishes.

How difficult is it to get a hunting license in Russia? Do they really care when it comes to swine control?

Not at all. If a pig is tearing up your property, you are free to kill it with any means at your disposal.

I just baked fresh bread in a pan from flour and yeast.

>Sausage wrapped in sausage
That's pretty gay.

Don't even talk to me about meat. I've been subsisting on a diet that's 70% meat and 30% starches with narry a vegetable in sight due to shortages. Sausages, jerky, and hotpockets. Yum.

Toasted bagel
smoked salmon(cold or hot)
cream cheese
= tasty
-
I love baking, especially citrus cakes
bought a bunch of limes, making one tomorrow

What's a citrus cake and how do you prepare it?

bakefromscratch.com/candied-citrus-cake/

I love to make meat pies! The recipe for the filling is a simple combination of chives, celery, potatoes, garlic, onions, ground beef, and raisins mixed with a pinch of brown sugar.

But how do you mix that stuff? I tried my hand at meat pies before and they tasted dry.

I've been experimenting with using orange in place of lemon for zest in lamb. It doesn't taste quite right at the moment, but maybe if I mix it in a ratio of 1/4ths orange and 3/4ths with lemon or some other ratio I can get a slightly sweet tinge that I think would really add to the dish.

Just picked, washed, and ate some rosehips. Too many seeds, but the flavor I think I can work for something. It's not quite like anything I've eaten before.

I did not know that roses made edible fruit to begin with.

I did but refrained for the longest time because well... they're full of seeds. Do you think I could turn them into jam?

Why would anyone willingly eat spam

I like to cook stews / hot pots by baking them at least 3-4 hours in an oven. I use game quite a lot too, so for example a Karelian stew is a common dish for me to make.

I like to smoke fish as well in my small electric smoker.

Attached: smoked salmon.jpg (1000x1778, 224K)

It tastes good if you prepare it right and don't try to reheat it.

Protip on spam: never cook more than you're willing to eat in one sitting. The rest of the stuff stays perfectly fine with a plastic wrap over the container top.

I've found that boiled cauliflower can be added to mashed potato in order to thin the flavor without affecting texture.

Grilled cod with lemon and a dusting or salt, served with sauteed mushrooms and mashed potato with a bit of garnished lettuce.

I just started experimenting with a new cast iron pan I got as a gift from someone moving out, using it to prepare burgers. It was great!

When I was back at home (I'm at school now) I loved making croquettes with leftover salmon.

Remember to consult the need differences between cast iron and standard kitchenware. It can save a life!

I have been baking bread a lot, I have my own starter I made a couple months ago for sourdough. I have also been making taffy, and started making my own ginger ale. I also made a custard and some eclairs as well.

Taffy? Using corn syrup?

Nice to see we hava culinary faction going on. This thread in fact feels more real than half of the /ck/ posting.

Pic related is a Boston Cake. Essentially cinnamon rolls baked together in a cake mold.
Not to mixed with a Boston Pie which is something very different.

Attached: pulla zero.jpg (1125x1500, 216K)

Looks kind of like a coffee cake.

i'm aware. I used to have a few cast iron utensils too before they rusted.

Looks pretty tasty with coffee.

Corn syrup is one of the ingredients. It also has sugar, glycerin, water, salt, and butter. Then I added banana flavoring

Oh yes it is especially good with coffee. Cinnamon compliments with coffee in the most excellent way indeed.

Overall, the Boston Cake is by default moist but not soggy, so that you can cut slices thick and thin the way you like.

One thing I've always had trouble with when it came to trying to make coffee cakes is getting the frosting/cake ratio right. Too much bread, and the texture is starchy and unpleasant like something you buy from the store. Too much frosting and it overpowers the flavor of everything else. I tried a couple times in the past to get a good recipe, but none of the ones I found online were really satisfying.

I just make omelettes, all you really need is eggs and cheese

And just a pinch of salt, too. Have you graduated to the point you can put a filling into said omelette? I like peppers and sausage.

How do I properly combine eggs on a pan to make the omelette skin? I'm an egglett.

Attached: Egge.png (850x872, 411K)

You can break them all in a bowl before setting them on the pan if you're chronically unable.

You could experiment by sectoring the cake with different amounts/flavors of frosting. I tried it like that, and realized that yea, about 1/4 -1/3 of cake surface can be covered with frosting. Then it's about right for me and most of the people here.

More important though is that cake is not too dry nor too soggy. Everything else is just fine tuning and aesthetics.

I'm not any master of omelettes, but a good omelette pan helps a lot. Flat pan with thick bottom works.

Also making an omelette is a medium hot process, so hold back some of the heat and take some more time with it.

egge

Doesn't the cheese usually come pre-salted?

That depends on the packaging, of course.
Are any of you knowledgeable on wild cranberries? I've got some growing out in the woods in the back that I noticed are ripe after a nearby hiker told me they're edible.

They look incredibly similar to no less than five other berries that grow within close vicinity that are not safe to eat. Where do you live?

Pick some berries and ask a professional. That's what I did once when harvesting a bunch of wild black and blueberries for muffins. Speaking of which, I should probably gather them while they're still ripened this weekend.

What do they put inside snack cakes to keep them from tasting terrible? I've been snacking on zebra cakes and want to know how to make something similar to them in consistency.

Generic cake frosting. What makes zebra cakes special is whatever the outer frosting is made of, as it stays soft and moist without coming off the cake even when stored while most off-brand cakes have terrible solid-glaze frosting that taste like butt.

Here is a fish dish I like named Fiskibollur

Boil cod or haddock fillets and then flake them apart in a bowl.
Add egg, a little flour, milk and herbs plus some onion if you want to and mix it all into a dough like consistency.
Grab pieces of the mixture and shape into balls before flattening more like croquettes
Simply fry these until brown on each side, its already cooked from the boiling so wont take long.

You can serve these with whatever you want. I find a salad made of carrots, raisins and shredded apples is nice but add whatever you want. Other ideas are boiled potatoes and steamed veggies like green beans. As for sauces, I find either pink sauce or parsley works the best, the recipe for these:

Melt about 25g of butter (for 1-2 people) in a pan and then add an equal amount of flour and mix well into a paste.
Once its all incorporated slowly add and mix in milk while still on the heat and continue until your desired consistency. For pink sauce simply mix in ketchup to this bechamel base until it has your chosen colour, for parsley well just mix as much chopped parsley as you like in there

That sounds delicious! Do you think cod could be substituted for halibut? I've got a load of that stuff in the freezer looking for a use.

Yeah sure any fish goes, works better with white though