Self Improvement related

What is the best fighting style to practice?
I am
>1.7399 meters
>70.3 kg

Attached: 1496454859543.gif (299x224, 1.78M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazushi_Sakuraba
youtube.com/watch?v=BW06DwJzLNY
youtu.be/5OVWUY9ehDo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Martial farts

Gunfu

Attached: 1503068780338.gif (200x200, 264K)

Please try to limit the meme bait responses, thanks !

Kung pow chicken

ID: bBKNbX1C)
Anything more you wanna say?

Brap maga

Cant beat bjj for learning grappling and holds. Pair it with another strike oriented fighting style such as muay thai or krav maga and you'll be a savage

What's the end goal here?

muay thai and bjj, start with muay thai

Attached: 15059053321601.jpg (1600x900, 247K)

Tae coon do

Entirely useless nonsense.

If I can realistically only pick one fighting style that would make a decent all around fighter would you recommend MMA?

What do you recommend then? MMA?

Boxing.

Learn paunch, get so strong, get endurance.

I was on a really goods stretch for about 2-3 months.

I lost everything I worked for this weekend and I am deeply ashamed of myself for it.

Attached: 1535852370672.png (354x328, 174K)

How about when I get grappled or potentially if the fight goes to the ground?
Boxing doesn't cover this.....

a good boxer wouldn't let someone get close enough to initiate a grapple or takedown.

You one of them Tai Chi fag bois?

Well you're a burger so if you want to be a good fighter just buy a gun, you'll win every time. I can't speak for MMA type gyms as I've never trained at one but I'd recommend bjj, if you get good at grappling and controlling your opponent their size and strength is barley a factor in the fight.

Don't listen to this queer, if it we're to go to the ground even a white belt could snap a boxers arm

This. Know how to punch, kick, elbow, and knee. One kick in the right place and the fight is over. And in street fights most people won't expect a kick or a knee. Very powerful.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is great particularly if you are a smaller guy and expect to take on larger opponents. It is also great if a fight goen to the ground or your opponent is good at stand up fighting. A good stand up fighter will not know what to do on the ground in a grappling situation.

When you think of MMA these are the two styles that most MMA fighters train in day to day.

Yeah a gun is good, I do plan on getting one as well but learning to fight is not a bad thing either.
I want something that focuses more on fighting on your feet but also being able to handle on the floor fighting. In a street fight getting on the ground allows for stand by faggots to stomp on you, that's why I was thinking MMA might be better, what do you think?

Stand-up boxing for basics. BJJ or judo for grappling. Muay Thai for elbow and knee strikes. Kickboxing or tae kwon do for kicks. Kyokushin karate is legit, too.
CMA's are mostly flashy bullshit that's too far removed from the source to be at all effective, but some do at least supplement a background in boxing well. Anything without contact sparring is bullshit.
Practice throwing punches. Shadowbox, spar, and hit the bag. You are worthless without the muscle memory to punch.
Everybody has a plan until they get hit.

For practicality I'd go for boxing/muay thai for the striking basics and then hop to BJJ for grappling because learning any of these is almost accessible anywhere. An unpractical answer but more effective is wrestling/bjj at a 90/10 ratio and then some boxing. A great wrestler who just knows the basics of bjj enough to defend against it will 9+/10 beat the shit out of a great jiu jitsu guy [see Tyron Woodley vs Andre Galvao, Marcelo Garcia's MMA career or even look at the currest roster of UFC champs and find out what they were doing in college]

Rex kwon do

>What is an ankle pick?

Attached: talkin' all that shit.gif (300x202, 1.22M)

Boxing includes defending against a clench.

>if the fight goes to the ground
headbutt their bitchass with your thicc neck

Grappling is absolutely useless in a fight and any "well if it went to the ground" is horseshit. Punch them in the ballsack and gouge out their eye.

>What if he has a knife, or a gun, or a halberd? I bet you are regretting not learning HEMA, aren't you XD

Help me out, guys. What's the best fighting style to practice if you're 5'5" and ~100lbs? Something that focuses on self-defense, btw.

The guy talking about boxing is a fag...boxing is a good start but a boxer cannot stop from getting taken down...I've whipped boxers badly by taking them down. I'm talking boxers that had 6 inch height advantage, weight advantage, the reach of their punch...but that did not stop me from taking them down. And boxing does not teach any technique to avoid a takedown. So this boxer is a total tool giving bad advice

>A white belt could snap a boxers arm
Ok? so? This isn't a competition a guy pumped full of adrenaline and looking to tear your throat out isn't going to give a shit if you dislocate his arm, he might even do it himself just to get out of your grip. You have to knock him out or choke him out or pin him until he uses up all his energy.

Do boxing and judo OP. literally all you need. Judo (real judo, not the olympic garbage) will teach you how to defend against single and double legs and also teach you good balance in the clinch and how to throw the fuck outta people. Avoid the ground in general but if it goes there you want to be on top and that's where judo shines again. Very good, strong pins that even bjj fags can't get out of. Judo and Boxing my friend, it's what all the hardass ruskies you see in the youtube vids doing.

Wrestlers beat jiu jitsu "fighters" 9 times out of 10. The entire Gracie family even lost to some nip wrestler in Japan.
Boxing and wrestling.

So should I just go to an MMA gym? Honestly i'm just being realistic, i'm not trying to be some UFC Fighter. I'm just trying to be a good fighter against the general street population.

He was a judoka, not wrestler, and his name was Masahiko Kimura.

>1.7399
HAHAHA, manlet

MMA is not one style it is multiple styles. And most MMA gyms will have a different classes for each style so you would have to take multiple.

Also, for actual fights:
>HAVE THE MUSCLE MEMORY TO THROW A PUNCH.
>Stay a moving target, especially your head.
>No big John Wayne/WOOORLDSTAAAR haymakers.
>A hook isn't thrown by swinging your arm. It's thrown by twisting your whole body. Keep your elbows high and tight or you will get ROCKED.
>Always return your hand to your guard and keep your shoulders high and tight.
>Throw headbutts. Nobody expects the headbutt.
>Don't cock back your head and telegraph it. Just slam the curved part of your skull into a flat part of theirs like the orbit or the bridge of the nose or the cheekbone. Watch for teeth or you'll get cut.
>No big, flashy kicks. No, you don't know how to throw those. It'll get caught and you'll get stomped. Stomp shins and feet instead. Drive your heel as hard as you can down onto their instep or their shins.
>Mix the stomp with a headbutt or a shot to the face.
>If somebody big tries to crowd you or bump you over, throw body shots and DIG.
>Grab the back of his head, drag it down, and knee him in the fucking face repeatedly.
>Throw elbows and knees, especially at close range.
(CONT)

This information is for guys like you. I'm tiny and I can handle big guys. You can, too.

Attached: 1528909873407.jpg (840x960, 119K)

>70.3 kg
Running away is your best bet. Or firearms.

i have kickboxed for 4 years. I stooped because i had to wear braces, kickboxing/ muay thai/ k1 are all very good. You get very good endurance, and you strikes are way more powerful. It wont help you on the ground. If your legs are short try boxing instead.

My mistake, you're talking about this guy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazushi_Sakuraba

>buy a knife
>practice stabbing for 30 seconds

Attached: download (1).jpg (225x225, 5K)

IIRC K1 instituted a 3 kick a round rule to force guys to kick because punching was more effective. To say boxing sucks is throwing the baby out with the bath water. There was a guy that trained at the same gym as me who was a collegiate wrestler out of Oklahoma and he made it to the UFC, he had insane grappling and almost never used it offensively, his boxing made him the welterweight champ at one point. You might have heard of him.

Attached: TeamTakedown.gif (350x197, 1.67M)

Yur a merican ya lucky lad, just get a gun and carry it around.

>not being realistic and being comfortable with what you were born with
I pity you.

I'm talking about being good at street fights, not trying to be a UFC fighter.

Go to your nearest city in a predominantly nigger/spic area and find a boxing gym. If you're the only white guy in there, you found the right place. You can learn wrestling on the side. The snake pit gyms are good but they're expensive.
Yea, a catch wrestler.

Okay, so was this on a mat, or on the sidewalk? Was it some dude you know who was just talking shit, or was it someone aggressively trying to harm you?
Would he have punched you in the balls if the opportunity arose?

He went downhill after usada

Go do Bjj or Judo.
If not available try out boxing.

What? Wrestling does not teach anything about how to end a fight. Only BJJ does. Your confusing guys who wrestled their whole lives growing up and transitioning to bjj for mma fights with the style of wrestling being Superior to bjj...which it most definitely is not. For someone who wants to learn practical fighting technique you should never even consider wrestling and only ever consider bjj

>I'm talking about being good at street fights, not trying to be a UFC fighter.

Its nice for street fights, against normal people that wont even block the blows, you can one tap 3 people easy.

Almost everyone did, I will say in his defense though, USADA was implemented at the exact same point in his career that he left his coach/team. If you've ever met Marc Laimon, he can be a motivating son of a bitch and losing that definitely had effects.

Warning...this guy is retarded...there are only a thousand different take downs that do not involve the clinch...

This. Muay thai and boxing are good for striking. You need BJJ too because there will be a lot going on. Legally conceal carry the most lethal weapons you can at all times.

Keep training, always be vigilant, and watch everyone's hands.

>I'll beat your fucking ass, just put your left hand on my left shoulder with your right foot forward and see what happens!

Sucks to say but there's no martial art that going to set you up to take on multiple opponents. If you're in a street fight there's always going to be a risk of getting out nigged. Look around locally for MMA gyms if you're interested, but from my experience they're mostly full of tapout wearing fags who just want to fight like the guys on the telly, the instructors are still decent though. If you go into a specific discipline you get the benefit of learning with an instructor and class that have a respect for the art which imo is part of the fun.

Although and mentioned wrestling which I forgot about cause its not so popular over here. That could be good for ground control as well as Judo. For strike based fighting look for Muay Thai & Tae Kwon Do

(CONT)
>Don't cross your feet.
>Do circle people so that their nondominant side is always facing you.
>Switch-hit.
>Throw combos high and low. Stomp on the instep AND headbutt him and punch him in the ribs.
>Learn the "one-two" motion to throw somebody over.
>Your targets are the groin (yeah, the groin), the throat, the temples, the orbital bone, shins, solar plexus, cheekbones, jaw, nose, eyes, ears, liver, kidneys, and the back of the head.
>Follow through and DIG. Don't pull back the instant you make contact. Drive through. Punch past your opponent's head.
>If it goes to the ground, go for a rear-naked or the ground and pound. Ideally you'd know how to armbar, but those two work 90% of the time.
>Bite. No, really.
>Gouge eyes.
>Grab his ear and yank it.
>This is gonna be over in 5 seconds. Be explosive.
>Fuck fair. Always fight dirty whether you have to or not.
>Literally just drag his guard down with one hand and start punching him in the face repeatedly.
I've been doing martial arts since I was 7 and this is STILL how I fight IRL.

You can handle most of the population by being cheap and brutal and knowing how to throw a punch.

Catch wrestling beats everything including bjj. The best have already been beaten. Half of the moves in bjj are from judo or wrestling yet they claim to be original. If you're gonna tell your students to lay on their back like a faggot in a real world scenario your gym should be shut down for putting lives in danger.

BJJ is good against larger opponents. Google Royce Gracie...the man that brought BJJ to the world

>a guy pumped full of adrenaline and looking to tear your throat out
That's why I told him to get a gun dumb dumb

Stuff relevant to the modern world maybe?
youtube.com/watch?v=BW06DwJzLNY

Who? This guy? Lol
youtu.be/5OVWUY9ehDo

gun-fu

I don’t think he’s ever even watched a boxing match. They spend half the match tied up in clinches with the ref having to separate them

besides lifting, what are some legit self improvement things?
>I read books to keep mentally fresh
>work blue collar which is exercise to some extent
>manage money effectively
>socialize with others
>reduced all alcohol consumption by at least half since start of this year
>getting more regular sleep hours
what else?

>muay thai
>BJJ
>useless
>nonsense

but BOXING is the thing you recommend? OP wants the 'best fighting style', not the 'most fixed promotions'

you stupid faggot

hmm okay i'll keep that in mind!
So between Muay Thai and MMA you'd go with Muay?

I am a tad over 5' 9"at 230 lbs, with a broad chest and strong legs. During my formative years, I studied Tae Kwon Do until the cost for tuition became too prohibitive. My business has grown considerably, and I have been wanting to return to martial arts. What would you guys recommend?

Its good against larger opponents if that larger opponent also doesn't know shit about what you're trying to do. IIRC even Keenan Cornelius has mentioned BJJ is useless when the guy has a 30lb weight advantage and is experienced..

Every time I see these fucking self defense posts I am reminded of that goofy looking twink that wrote on twitter about how to punch nazis by putting the thumb outside the fist.

>all the hardass ruskies you see in the youtube vids doing.
now that I know where your experience comes from I think we can safely discount any of your input.

For someone of your size, I'd suggest BJJ.

>MMA
>useless nonsense
>no explanation
7/10 bait only because I expect burgers to be this retarded, would be 3/10 for a leaf

Attached: it's a ruse.gif (245x184, 907K)

needed motivation with that gut, liked his food.

Even in MT the most knockouts you see are from punches. Boxing is better for the average person because punches are basic, high percentage moves that are easy to learn. Why the fuck does the average person need to know how to do a roundhouse kick and why would he choose to do it anyway when it's so easy to get off balancing attempting one?

Learn the fundamentals from some martial arts designed specifically for real life combat. Positioning, awareness of your surroundings, etc. Judo is nice, considering in was created for war and it's the origin of a lot of mainstream styles.

Then learn fucked up techniques. You know, the ones that are banned in MMA competition. Learn how to break a neck, how to attack the eyes, how to really incapacitate someone for life.

And remember: In the streets, size and power are a lot more important than technique. Get buffed.

I can attest to this, BJJ, and Muay thai is the best combo if you're only going with two martial arts. I do BJJ, Judo, Taekwondo, Kyokushin, and Muay Thai. But I'm an amateur MMA fighter, with alot of free time on my hands.

Well, I'm not that guy. I haven't thrown a punch with my thumb inside my fist for close to 18 years now.
Real fights against somebody who wants to hurt you aren't sparring matches, they're over a hell of a lot faster, most of the time they're entirely one-sided, and they're way more brutal.

you're a fucking new zealander. You've never produced a combat sports athlete worth a shit in your entire existence as a country except in maybe kickboxing which is a fucking joke of a sport with a tiny talent pool.

>Suggest Boxing over Muay Thai
You clearly shown that you know nothing of Martial Arts. Boxing is very limited, Muay Thai (Thai Kickboxing) is much more practical, especially for a street fight.

Any style proven by MMA fighters is good

So BJJ and Muay Thai are the best for my size?

Yes, the rule at my MMA gym was try and win the fight on your feet. In my first post I said Muy Thai would be good OR bjj if you expect to be fighting guys bigger than you. Then OP said he was a small guy...

Boxing deserves to be in the pantheon of MMA sports...but MMA is different...first of the whole standing on your feet to win the fight thing is more of a culture thing...rather than a tactical...your referred to as a pussy if the first thing you do is try a take down...that didn't stop Gracie or George St. Pierre...perhaps you've heard of them?

MMA obviously.
If you can't find a decently priced MMA gym near you find a BJJ place. You'll be able to handle yourself quite well 1 on 1 against someone who can't fight on the ground, and if you're against multiple attackers you're in a bad spot even with striking experience.
Regardless, add kickboxing / Muay Thai or even western boxing to your training as well, but don't overwhelm yourself or you'll end up discouraged so focus on BJJ first.

Don't do Krav Maga. No live sparring so you don't really improve unless you have prior experience in martial arts, and since it includes maiming you'll get in some serious shit if you use it and get caught.

>grappling is absolutely useless in a fight and any "well if it went to the ground" is horseshit.

You've never been in a real fight have you?

Wrestling teaches you how to stay on top and keep your opponents on bottom and when you can punch, thats pretty important. There's guys with great guards that fold once they're getting punched in the head. Ryan Hall is a BJJ wizard, but he couldn't do shit against a blue belt Shane Roller, imagine if they were in a fight and Shane could punch Ryan? And reread my post, I specifically said "for practicality"= BJJ and an unpractical answer= wrestling as the focus with BJJ to defend.

BJJ, it's designed to use gravity, and leverage to take down larger opponents, and beat them on the ground.

That's my fucking point. You can learn to be a decent puncher in months. It takes years to get decent at huehuejitsu.

The defensive fighters do that stuff. MMA is 97% on the ground, 2% random leg kicks along with Joe Rogan screaming how powerful it was, and 1%softcore "punching".

>such a manlet he mentions even the tenth of a millimeter height

Yours is a noob opinion. more weapons =/= better results. There's a reason seeing dudes get knocked out with headkicks or knees is seen as so impressive and that's because they're rare af to pull off. The average person who just wants to defend themselves is far better off focusing on boxing skills when it comes to striking

Me personally, yeah I'd go with Muay Thai, although like I say if you just want to be a proficient fighter against the common man MMA isn't going to do any harm. It would also allow you to try a little of everything and if you find you like certain fighting styles you can hone in on a specific martial art later.
If you do go with Muay, besides general lifting and exercising pay a little more attention to your traps and biceps, it'll make your elbow strikes lethal. Squats and/or cycling for kicks.

say that to mark hunts face

I take bjj and I love it. But I also know what you are saying is correct. If I get someone in my guard and they start raining punches done on my face, I’m in trouble, I better sweep them super fast. These morons who defend “their” martial art as the only correct one are retarded. There are useful aspects to most of these martial arts, and some can counter aspects of others. If you even train one of them though, you’ll be in a better position than 98% of the general public

Muay Thai is the single best striking martial art, it's simple, but brutally effective, I can't recommend it enough, that's coming from a guy who also trains in TKD, and Kyokushin.

Thanks a lot, anons. BJJ it is.

Which time? Which boxer? Both sparring fights and street fights. What does a punch in the balls have to do with anything? Everyone can do that without any training.

You don't know shit about Muay Thai do you? Muay Thai has a very large emphasis on Leg kicks. I guarantee you, especially with your boxing stance which has a very large lead leg, I could take out your leg with one kick, and you wouldn't be able to get back up and fight. Upper kicks are alot less common in Muay Thai than other striking martial arts.

Search Israel Adenasanya on yt, one of the best strikets ive seen lately

Unironically bjj for a manlet.

Its less about the style and more about the dojo. Finding a place that practices full contact sparring and self defense situations is key. And martial arts requires dedication. "I do not fear the man that practices a thousand kicks one time, but I do fear the man who practices one kick a thousand times" -Bruce Lee

In all of the fights you've been in, and all of the fights you've seen in real life and/or the internet, how many of those fights ended due to kick vs a punch?

He's like five six, all he could do is leg kick a normal sized man