The utter superiority of diesel engines

First off, this is not a troll post. This is a legitimate concern for everyone who drives,and even those who do not.

Now, these facts SHOULD already be clearly established in the mind of the consumer, but they, for some reason, are not. I lead my argument with point 1:

As shown by fueleconomy.gov/feg/di_diesels.shtml , diesel engines are more fuel efficient and burn cleaner than gasoline engines. Especially with a turbo, and no diesel exhaust fluid additions, which restrict mpg, which brings me to point 2.

Attached: 1_large.jpg (480x480, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.carsdirect.com/used-car-buying/are-used-diesel-pickup-trucks-worth-the-price
forbes.com/sites/michaelkanellos/2016/08/29/is-there-money-to-be-made-in-lithium-mining/
globalpetrolprices.com/articles/4/
google.com/search?q=diesel emissions vs gasoline emissions&oq=diesel emissions.vs gasoline em&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l2.10022j0j4&client=ms-android-att-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
carmax.com/car/16518567
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Now, according to m.carsdirect.com/used-car-buying/are-used-diesel-pickup-trucks-worth-the-price , a diesel engine is likely to last to 500k plus mile, as opposed to a gasoline engine, which lasts on average 200k miles (if you are lucky). Factor in the costs of metal refining to make said engine, and you are looking at, on average, 2.5 times more emissions for refining metal for gasoline engines, 2.5 times for ore mines per gasoline engine, and 2.5 times more transportation costs to assemble all the parts that go into such an engine....

Are you seeing where I'm going with this yet? Point 3:

forbes.com/sites/michaelkanellos/2016/08/29/is-there-money-to-be-made-in-lithium-mining/ , states the mining costs in terms of USD. However, what you should keep in mind when assessing such costs is what that dollar amount actually means. That is the cost of machine operation, hiring and employing workers, getting the ore out from within the earth, and possibly refining costs. Think about all the fuel that is burned in the process of all this mining, not to mention the utter devastation caused to the environment by pit mining activities. How does oil drilling compare? Point 4:

Diesel is easier to refine than gasoline.
This means a refinery must expend less energy (emissions) per gallon of diesel, when compared with gasoline. globalpetrolprices.com/articles/4/

Point 5:

In an effort to present the competition google.com/search?q=diesel emissions vs gasoline emissions&oq=diesel emissions.vs gasoline em&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l2.10022j0j4&client=ms-android-att-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8 shows that diesel engines for emit more co2 than gasoline engines. However, what needs to be taken into consideration in this comparison are the NET emissions of each engine. I have yet to find a conclusive study on the issue, but it seems obvious that, when comparing the lifetime of a gasoline to a diesel, diesels represent the LOWER of the two net emissions (from forging of the engine to its falling into disrepair). Point 6:

The reason I citing the lithium costs is this, why does contemporary society praise an energy source as a God-send, when the real innovation has been here all along? Making lithium batteries DOES NOT REDUCE net emissions, it INCREASES them, by virtue of choosing a less efficient source (from raw materials to drivable vehicle) of energy, and touting THAT energy sources superiority over tech that has existed all along, diesel.

For the reasons above, I would hold that:

All gasoline engine makers are guilty of patent consumer deception

Tesla is a company traitorous not only to the environmentalists it purports to serve, but to all of humanity

The net emissions of the world would decrease were every gasoline and electric engine in existence replaced by diesel engines

Every country that has limited driving ability rather than focused on conversion of all other transportation types to being diesel powered, is traitorous to its fellow man

I forgot one more point of contention, which I will conclude with:

Think of the costs of producing electricity, and transporting it. Build power lines, run a turbine, forge the metals for that turbine, forge ball bearings so the turbine can continue spinning, pour millions of tons on concrete to make dams, etc etc

Also, consider the costs of making solar panels. Mine gallium, refine gallium, forge the gallium into a panel, transport the panel, etc etc

Now think of the government subsidies (YOUR money) that go into allowing consumers and business to set up "green" energy sources on their premises, or to "go green". What are these subsidies really accomplishing? Aren't they patently traitorous, considering the argument above?

Are you mad yet? If not, you probably should be.

Your average pit mine

Attached: images.jpg (275x183, 13K)

>burn cleaner
By virtue of higher fuel economy they release less CO2.
But in terms of other pollutants they are way dirtier than gasoline engines.

Attached: wrong.jpg (670x377, 51K)

Plus you can easily convert to run plant oils and be carbon neutral

There really should be a study that addresses the economics of energy production, but academia, in its currently retarded state, seems preoccupied with the issue of how much co2 contributes to "global warming" and not on the broader picture of how less net co2 emissions might be achieved....

Academic leftists believe that stopping everyone from driving period would be a perfectly logical solution.

People that aren't utterly retarded look for solutions that don't involve reverting to third world status.

I'm not debating this. I encourage you to read the entirety of my argument.

Yep.

It's still not really a net neutral though, in reality. Your proposed method though IS, perhaps, economically superior to both gasoline and lithium (electric) power. But don't fall into the trap of believing that any energy source is truly free (neutral). It takes energy to store energy.

Go back to sleep Heavy-D & Diesel Dave.

Ok op, as someone who has had 5 diesels and went back to gas I can sum this up in a couple sentences.

1. Cost of replacing every other part of the powertrain and driveline at 300k.
2. Average person drives 10-15k a year making the average ownership of the vehicle 20 plus years which most people do not do
3. Cost of replacing injectors and other diesel components (look up a set of 7.3l powerstroke injectors vs. F150 injectors
4. The price of diesel will remain to be high as for some reason its easier to turn shale into gas vs. Diesel which we have to import.

Long story short, diesel is good for heavy transport but the cost savings are minimal if there at all for a person buying a new diesel vs. Gas from a dealership.

Diesel engines are great for high torque applications, but aren’t great for smaller vehicles. Sure this has slid a bit over the last few decades, but due to economies of scale, gasoline engines are still more economically efficient.
Also, your argument ignores the refining process inherent to what makes gasoline more popular in the US. I wont get into details of refining, but as crude is distilled, it separates based on its weight. To refine diesel fuel, gasoline is still produced regardless. If all cars in the US were to switch to diesel, then there would be essentially gasoline waste. The US has been a net EXPORTER of gasoline for the last 15 years already, there is no market for the vast sum of gasoline “byproduct” if everyone were to switch to diesel. Sage because not pol related

You want a clean burning fuel, propane is your answer.

Attached: Hank-hill-sells-propane-and-propane-accsesories.jpg (270x259, 22K)

diesel engines have their share of problems
take it from a guy who had to rely on many generators to provide electricity
1-diesel NEEDS to be under at least 50% load, else it won't burn as well and will cause all kinds of problems that will destroy the engine surprisingly fast
2-diesel is heavier, in my experience a diesel is 2x as heavy as a similar hp gasoline
3-diesel engines are more expensive
4-diesel engines are WAY louder

You can't actually, new ones have issues with the injection pump if you run vegetable oil.

Correct sir, the energy used to grow the plants and process the oil needs to be accounted for. But the carbon essentially is being reused from carbon already in the atmosphere. Plant takes in co2 oil is burned same co2 is released back into atmosphere. I’m not fully educated on this subject but it’s definately interesting and has always seemed a valuable offset we should be using.

You don't need to justify wanting a diesel to us, OP. Most people who see you on the road already know you're just playing Billy Big Rig

God gave your post these numbers because it is true. Great quality. Also most gasoline engines designed today have no problem doing 250k+

Good quality starter vehicle that wont break the bank.

carmax.com/car/16518567

>inb4 autistic screeching about chevy, replacement parts are cheap and out of all the vehicles I have worked on, chevy is the easiest.

Yes this is true, but could be easily engineered to handle the heavier oils

Ok, what about diesel vs electric? I must concede that you brought up some issues I have not thought about.

Diesel is icky-icky goo and doesn't smell nice like gasoline. Also if you get gasoline on your hands they get cleaner instead of stinking until you wash with soap and water like they do with diesel.

what percentage more fuel efficient for the same power are diesel?

Interesting. Saging is not necessary. Thank you for your points. Again, more information I did not know about. How is national energy policy, whether an implicit or explicit policy, not political?

what problems are caused by too much load??

No one will do this and you need 2 tanks so you can start and stop the engine with diesel. A diesel engine will start with veg oil.

Theyre both overpriced and non efficient in the long term. Better riding a bike or taking public transportation.

Isnt lithium battery production still in its invancy? Maybe there is alot of innovation ahead of us? I dont know tho.
But for my brain it seems somehow logical that net co2 emission becomes less if everybody would switch to e vehicles. Also you will get the pollution out of the city

Its better off investing in public transport and hiring more police to keep the transport safe.

you'll trip the circuit breaker
on chinese shits the voltage would drop or the engine would stall
my point was actually about under loading
like in winter all i need is lighting and charging my electronics, which take at most 10% of the capacity
but i have to hook up a heater and spend the extra feul just so the diesel engine doesn't underload and build carbon and goo all over itself