/fglt/ - friendly GNU/Linux thread

old: /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try protonmail, disroot or cock.li

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: 1496522284939.png (602x500, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.gnome.org/pango/stable/PangoMarkupFormat.html
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4v116g/can_we_stop_recommending_linux_mint/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for emacs

Attached: 2000px-EmacsIcon.svg.png (2000x2000, 371K)

Second for Lumina DE.

I need recommendation for a T430-suitable distro
>not Arch, Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, Slackware or derivates
>minimal install
>stable
>preferably rolling release
>no systemd
My only options seem to be Crux and Void. How about a
*BSD? Actually usable as ''casual'' OS?

>stable
>preferably rolling release

Attached: 5dc.jpg (768x768, 62K)

Let me rephrase:
>minimal maintenance

go bsd linux is converging towards GnomeOS and you're just putting off the inevitable

Windows 10?

Unironically give a BSD system a try

>minimal
most base BSD installs are ultra minimal as they only include permissive licensed and basic tools
>minimal maintenance
I found binary package management not a bit harder than using apt
>no systemd
:^)
>actually usable as casual OS
yes. All well known major gui/desktop programs are available for BSD.

Install debian or face the consequences.

Install Crux

Which *BSD would you recommend? No clue about them whatsoever...
I'll definitely check that out as well

Does anyone else use vi-mode on the command line?
Is there any way to stop the mode indicator at the left from disappearing when you type a slash to initiate a history search?

I want to encrypt a folder containing alot of subfolders on the cloud. However, I want to encrypt this folder first and make it together with its entire contents a single encrypted file.
Whats the best way to do this?

freebsd or openbsd

freebsd, openbsd is a bit much to start

stop downloading cp it will be decrypted and you will get caught, scum

pack the folder contents into a tar, use gpg to encrypt that file

Gentoo, Arch, Ubuntu, or Fedora are mentioned all the time on Jow Forums. But what do you think about openSUSE?

>openbsd is a bit much to start
now you're challenging me, thanks alot guys

It's about 700gb of music.

Simple, yet efficient.
Why havent I thought of it
Thanks user

unironically Gentoo if you want a *nix
I took the plunge and it's really not difficult at all to install, just a bit of waiting

>stable

*hugs*

Attached: cuckbsd_wallpaper.png (1920x1077, 1.97M)

the thinkpad used to run it but I'm not really into comitting much time into this thing anymore, especially after getting used to desktop compile times

I'm using i3 with compton, haven't really configured compton apart from adding some transparency to terminals. Sometimes when I switch to a different workspace and back, my previously active terminal will be black until I bring it into focus. Seems to occur predominantly when I switch to a workspace with firefox running, though it's the only GTK app I use regularly so it might not be exclusive.

Also I notice that you said no Arch derivatives but said Void as one of your own suggestions.
Are you opposed to an Arch style distro? If not, take a look at Hyperbola

Beware that you have to decrypt the entire archive if you want to retrieve a single file. If this is not part of your use case go ahead, but split your archives logically. You probably don't want to store your entire 200 GB photo collection. Keep them small.

Alternatively if you don't care about leaking file names and sizes you can encrypt each file individually.

If you need both you have to find a specialized solution.

Sadly for desktop use plsdonthugmeyourshitlordBSD is still better than netBSD or "packages from the past decade PLUS hammer" aka. Dragonfly.

29th for stop pussy dual booting
real men go balls deep

Attached: 1521011297465.jpg (715x655, 45K)

mfw I just realized I can set fonts and colors in i3, or even give window titles a background color, on a per window class basis
>for_window [class="(?i)firefox"] title_format "%title"

neat! thx for sharing

How do I fix screen tearing with nvidia optimus?

It's alright when I use the intel but it's completely fucked up when I switch to nvidia. Pic related.

Attached: screen_2018-03-29-18:30:31.png (1318x822, 22K)

how do I troubleshoot LACP under freenas? It usually works, while my two severs sync at 1gbps with each other I can still access the servers from my desktop and get 1gbps simultaneously. I can see the NICs on the servers sometimes reach 2gbps. Every now and then though all traffic seems to be forced through one NIC only.
Using ubuntu on one server, freenas on the other and winblows 10 on my desktop.

which nvidia driver are you using? nouveau or the proprietary one?

You might also be interested in this which lists all the properties
developer.gnome.org/pango/stable/PangoMarkupFormat.html

>x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-390.42
Proprietary.

O just want a FSF and Prism-Break endorsed Debian with OpenRC and only Libre soft in repos that just looks like xubuntu ;_;

Attached: 2.png (443x420, 172K)

I*

Make it yourself then. It sounds like you want devuan with specific packages. Should not be hard at all

Installed manjaro, but GRUB doesn't get detected by the UEFI
Can boot just fine from the .efi file
What might cause this and how do I fix it?

Attached: why_would_you_do_that.png (450x454, 280K)

Look up efibootmgr. It's used to make an entry in your bios for the efi

well, i can't say i tried. I tried to run my computer exclusively on Linux. But god i don't think i ever was as frustrated as i am right now. Nothing fucking works. Tried to install wine to play a couple of games, and nothing. Spent 2 whole fucking weeks trying xyz, and nothing. It just doesn't werk. And all this for what? The only thing i need from Linux that i can't have on Windows is gcc. And everything on Windows is much simpler and it works.

If one day Linux becomes usable, i will make the definite switch. But until then i have more stuff to do other then spending whole nights trying to fix stuff

Thanks again.

Attached: d69cb3c001d38edd65cc32018bb8267947ebf40fb81b3021c6b653097a15801b.jpg (634x848, 98K)

>everything on Windows is much simpler and it works.
i used to think that at first, now i can't stand to use windows, for the same reason
linux gets easier once you understand how it all works, windows just gets more confusing the more you learn about it
instead of "windows is much simpler and it works", it's more "windows is simpler when it works"

Did you try turning if off and back on again?

Attached: 1522200554140.gif (1280x720, 3.57M)

Linux is used by gorillions of people today on mobile. Gtfo with ur shit.

The thing is, you don't have to learn about windows to use it. The smae cannot be applied to linux. You need to have at least a intermediate knowledge to be able to use it for more interesting things.

I will turn Linux off and Windows one. Hopefully it will fix all my problems

>The thing is, you don't have to learn about windows to use it. The smae cannot be applied to linux.
It was true, but today it's no more true.

>Linux is used by gorillions of people today on mobile.
Only because it looks nothing like linux, you dumb fuck.

>nd Windows one.
on*

my tty is just blinking - on fedora. Any ideas why?

Are you honestly trying to argue that the learning curve to use linux is even comparable to the one needed to use Windows?

kek

People like you make me want a law that people must get a driver license for using computers. What the hell do you fucking think holy shit. It's a new system, fucking learn to use it like you did on Losedows.

Attached: 1522203707629.jpg (463x566, 21K)

Yeah stable, I've never had W10 mess up on me even once, and I've never even used it.

With something like Ubuntu? Yes, it's easier than Windows.

Linux is a kernel. It's easy to use since it's purpose it to allocate the machines resources to the programs that you run automatically.

Attached: 1521606143521.jpg (365x500, 32K)

>this is what lincucks believe

>The thing is, you don't have to learn about windows to use it
that's true, if you have only basic requirements, and don't mind calling someone up if something goes wrong

My nigga.

Attached: 1518210944864.png (477x448, 47K)

Yea, Linux is easier.

People can pretty quickly tell what runs on startup with systemd or openrc, but most will never ever learn what collection of poorly written key loggers their svchost.exe runs, or that it even exists.

try asking for help instead of sperging out and blaming the operating system. what were you trying to do for those two whole fucking weeks?

>The thing is, you don't have to learn about windows to use it
gee i wonder why schools teach how to use computers with windows and msoffice

>Hopefully it will fix all my problems
and bring others. no operating system is perfect

now, it's the to return to your designated shitting street, nadella

Attached: coompooter person.jpg (1280x720, 60K)

>I've never had W10 mess up on me even once
>and I've never even used it.

i was thinking this but i was afraid to say anything because it can't be that obvious, i'm sure that i am missing something

>try asking for help instead of sperging out and blaming the operating system.
Already tried this multiple times. Always met with indifference or scorn.

What distro do you feel strikes the best balance between "just werks" and "not bloated"?

Thoughts on GuixSD +/ PureOS? Thinking of switching from Debian Buster.

windows is easier when you don't know what you're doing
linux is easier when you know what you're doing

Every issue i came across on Windows i was able to fix it with information i found online.

whatever has the packages you need, installed starting from the base package group

Every issue i came across on Linux i was able to fix it with information i found in the error messages.
no "something happened" bullshit on linux

I'm looking for a distro to install on a laptop.

Preferably lightweight
Preferably simple. I can tinker but I don't have much time anymore.
But not Ubuntu.
Preferably stable, but not at the cost of being as outdated as Debian.
Currently using Debian on another pc and liking it, but wanted to try something new.

I don't really have any other requirement, DE is not an issue.

Honest opinion: arch linux
I can't use it though because I don't agree with systemd

I'm convinced this isn't true anymore. Both my mother and my wife have NOT had a good go with Windows 10. Nor my ex roommate that called me up last week to disable Cortana.

I think they're about to lose the normies (although, I've seen a trend of MacOS frontend developers switching to Windows machines soooooo).

Arch+fluxbox

Does anyone use lubuntu here?
How many packages does it have at the start?
Also, is it comfy?

> windows is easier when you don't know what you're doing
Right, I guess you just have to register with Microsoft to log in, buy McAffee Pro for $150/year and put aside your work because that Windows 10 update just needs 2h on your computer. Very easy indeed.

Whereas on Linux, you have the difficulty of not doing anything at all and just letting Fedora's dnf-automatic handle it all. Very hard.

You don't even already know Linux, but you already DO know Windows. Super easy.

ubuntu minimal, install any DE you like and only the software you want
why
>but not ubuntu?

First for Refracta

Attached: xp.png (831x377, 590K)

Have you tried mint?

>that shell prompt
disgusting

Great, then find this one.

Trying to run Darkest Dungeon on Wine. Game starts fine, but in the loading screen to, what i presume, the first "mission", game crashes and this error report appears on terminal:

Audio_LoadBankCategory - elapsed_sec=0.515465
Audio_LoadBankCategory - elapsed_sec=0.246953
Audio_LoadBankCategory - elapsed_sec=0.237171
wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x00000000 at address 0xe8c40c (thread 003d), starting debugger...
Unhandled exception: page fault on write access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0x00e8c40c).
Register dump:
CS:0023 SS:002b DS:002b ES:002b FS:006b GS:0063
EIP:00e8c40c ESP:0033ef40 EBP:0033ef50 EFLAGS:00010246( R- -- I Z- -P- )
EAX:00000000 EBX:001b7114 ECX:001b7114 EDX:00008000
ESI:00000004 EDI:001b7110
Stack dump:
0x0033ef40: 001b7114 001b7110 0182df48 001b7110
0x0033ef50: 0033efa0 00e9aa61 0182df48 09468b10
0x0033ef60: 001e8bf0 7c22bdb0 44f00000 44870000
0x0033ef70: 00000000 3f800000 00000000 3f800000
0x0033ef80: 00000000 00000000 0133efd8 00e99a8f
0x0033ef90: 00000000 44f00000 00000000 28956422

>Lincuks have to invent strawmen to attack windows
>Largest problem lincucks have with windows are updates
lmao, you are just grasping at straws, now.

Why are people still recommending mint in 2018? Even reddit is redpilled reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4v116g/can_we_stop_recommending_linux_mint/

Isn't arch the distro that requires the most maintenance and is one of the less straightforward to install?
Or is it just a meme?

Amazon botnet
Already used in the past, from 10.10 to 14.4
Because even if I'm not that elitarian, it would make me feel like a pleb

For a short period, a long time ago.
I don't remember anything about it, neither good nor bad.
May go for it.

Arch is easy and even more convenient thab Ubuntu (aur vs ppa), it's just autistic about installing it.

oh, the error message is larger, i can post it if you like it

>Isn't arch the distro that requires the most maintenance
Doing an update once a month is fine.
>and is one of the less straightforward to install?
The installation is very straight forward, everything is spelled out for you in the installation guide on the wiki
>Or is it just a meme?
Arch is not a meme. "Arch is a meme" is a meme, much like milhouse

Right but what I'm saying is with software you really can't just hate on something for no reason so you just gotta give it a shot if you really want to know what it's all about, and like I said even if I personally havent used W10 before it's been really stable for me, probably better then any "linux" distro, which is really just other types of windows software anyway.

Yeah, I meant to ask if "Arch is difficult" was just a meme.

user, you're not making any sense, you're contradicting yourself
and what does "just other types of windows software anyway" even mean?

whoa you ding dong you said you had problems with linux not with wine get your shit together

Attached: tf2 1520796893951.jpg (463x472, 118K)

> Lincuks have to invent strawmen to attack windows
Nah, actual real world issues. Windows users don't remotely know what is running on their machines, and plebs don't know what they SHOULD be authorizing and what not.

There were a lot of people that asked me personally if they need to buy the nagging bundleware to remain safe, multiple that bought it, multiple that considered if they need to install leltotallynottrojanpasswordstealervirus.exe, and multiple that did it. And thousands of hardware issues & generally having no idea if anything works or not and why.

Because Windows is this "easy".

> Largest problem lincucks have with windows are updates
No, that's just a practical issue I observed with Windows-using relatives. Affects them right up my grandma who can't casually do her photographs because Windows loves updating for 10 minutes to 2 hours even on startup, but she by no means is the only one.

Before multiple of them just never did these long and annoying updates for anything and got issues that way instead (plus they're still getting issues because this obviously generally doesn't handle program updates).

na, arch is easy

I mean if you have the learning capacity of a gold fish, than yeah, Arch might be a bit difficult to install and use.But it isnt. Once you get the install down and understand how to use pacman and PKGBUILD you're fine

Well I mean Microsoft makes Windows and all Linux distro end up having windows in them it all really goes back to Microsoft, with it's a windows os or opening an application window or just the computer screen which is basically one big window. That's not a contridication it's just two things that mean different opposing things. That's why I use Windows 10, you know what I mean?

I'm only using wine because i am using linux. So yes, i have a problem with linux

if you could
note that this isn't really what i was talking about though, this is not an OS problem, wine itself is running just fine
while wine is not an emulator, it is an unofficial compatibility layer, so this is not unlike complaining about say, a game not working in rpcs3, there is no expectation that any particular game will work perfectly, as it's running in a way that was never intended in the first place

So your problem with Windows is literal brainlets who do not know what a .exe file does fuck things up.

And you think they would be better served with linux? lmao.

Opinion discarded, digits checked

Attached: REfractaExe.png (122x104, 6K)

ok so, when you're running chrome on windows and chrome stops working, do you tell your friends that you have problems with chrome or with windows? wine runs on linux and macos but it's not "made by linux" the same way microsoft makes office.

come on user

What are the real pros and cons of using systemd? Please don't feed me any obscure github issue for tools that are never used from years ago.