Thoughts on Mac OS Classic...

Thoughts on Mac OS Classic? I haven't used it in years as I don't own a Mac or have it set up in an emulator but its interface and sounds are so comfy and nostalgic to me.

Attached: Mac_OS_9_screenshot_2.png (1024x768, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_memory_management
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Attached: Kid_Pix_1.png (500x375, 24K)

FagOS classic was such a pile of shit that it made even w95 seem rock solid stable.

That interface, designed ~20 years ago, is still better than anything available for Linux in 2018.

Attached: 1515884242056.jpg (960x717, 370K)

Gomfy

>t. Mactoddler

Man, I miss my G3 now

i remember playing games on my dad's Imac g4. It was comfy af.

I've been a Mac user since System 6. The interface is quite comfy, I'll admit, but the system itself was horrendous in the later releases, past 8.6 or even 7.6 (according to who you ask). Thank god they bought Next since Copland was a dud.

I wish someone would release a modern UI (and darn the legal complications) based on Platinum. I would give them all my monies.

Attached: 69888365_d4703ac5ca.jpg (500x334, 74K)

I still have mine (my dad's actually) but it doesn't boot anymore

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 21K)

Early Mac has the sense of cheerful simplicity that is alluring. My favorite app is Glider Pro, which had a nice community built around sharing levels.

Attached: 1866356-4644635322_6f32176b68_z.jpg (640x496, 208K)

This.

>Thoughts
Get a job you fucking hobo

Unstable and lacking in multitasking, but nice to use once it's properly set up. Probably the easiest retro platform to get software for thanks to the Macintosh Garden.

Attached: 1510780790098.png (594x648, 152K)

I just posted my Mac Mini desktop on another thread. Someone made a project that allows you to run Mac OS 9 on the G4 Mac Minis now.

Attached: MacOS9classicH.png (1920x1080, 43K)

That game is the shit. The best Mac game ever made besides Marathon.

Attached: MacOS9classicHFuture.png (1920x1080, 3.52M)

ITODDLERS BTFO'D

Last pic. I love how games just werk, but I noticed that when I tried running Glider Pro in Mac OS 9, I got a low memory error, but I have 1GB of ram. Could it be due to my desktop running at 1920x1080? I was able to run glider pro at 1920x1080 on Leopard. How do I fix this so I can play more glider and edit levels?

Attached: MacOS9classicHVaporwaveshit.png (1920x1080, 3.57M)

Fuck off back to mactoddlers.

Video games

Attached: Puyo Mac.png (958x574, 100K)

Works perfectly fine for shitposting on my G4-upgraded Beige G3 Desktop.

Attached: Picture 4.png (1152x870, 220K)

for me it's Escape Velocity

Attached: ev.png (1298x754, 101K)

Glider Pro was released as opensource, but I haven't seen any projects to try and port the game to other platforms or modern versions of OSX.

I didn't mind it. Bought a g3 ibook back when osx beta came out and discovered that osx was total trash. So I put Debian and OS9 on it, was a nice comp at the time, could run OS9 great from within Linux via sheepshaver. I used to do a lot of Cubase work in OS9 and it was a nice system.

Where can I get an OS9 installer for my G4 powerbook?

Mac OS 9 wont work on all PPC hardware, but there is a site called MacOS9lives where people are trying to get Mac OS 9 to run on incompatible Powermacs.

Macintosh Garden.

It was definitely supported on my G4 titanium.

Reminder that Apple made a pretty gud Unix system which was compatible with System7.

Attached: aux.jpg (640x480, 125K)

It was trash and will always be trash. It was impressive for what it did on 1MB of RAM back when the original Macintosh came out but it had way, WAY worse core design issues with it's Kernel then Win 3 or 95 ever did.
Read up on memory management with MacOS, its insane.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_memory_management

>not using classilla

What? It is classilla. I don't think Jow Forums works on any other OS 9 browser.

Attached: Picture 5.png (1152x870, 216K)

AUX should have been developed further, would have made a way better base for an OS for OS8 and 9

Ah, missed that.
>2 tabs in 80mb
Time to dust off my beige PowerMac G3. We need to go back.

you don't need a mac to do that, you know

Actually you do. SheepShaver works like shit on x86.

Modern software is bloated shit. Now shut up, let me have my excuses for retrofagging.

Beige G3s are absolute beasts. I mean, just look at this.
Good luck virtualizing Mac OS 9 on a PC from 1997.

Attached: Picture 6.png (1152x870, 299K)

Do you have any actual reason for believing this, or do you just think that because it's old and different it's automatically better?

PPC STRONG

Attached: apple unix advert.jpg (1976x1202, 401K)

bloated shit is bloated shit, there's plenty of modern (at least in the sense of 'maintained') lightweight software out there

>Good luck virtualizing Mac OS 9 on a PC from 1997.
now pull out the G4 upgrade and try again

Fuck off back to mactoddlers.

just shut the fuck up already

Fuck off back to mactoddler, and take your manchild virgin hobby with you.

You're free to upgrade your Slot 1 Pentium II from 1997 with a Pentium III, it still won't do it.

Listen here buddy, this is a nice board. You'd better calm down!!

Attached: 1496530107913.png (1292x608, 69K)

Listen here buddy, this is a tech board. You'd better take your toddler toys and fuck off back to Jow Forumseddit.

Attached: 1496126059484.jpg (539x585, 150K)

You're asking for trouble. Knock it off.

Attached: 1420389622911.jpg (1406x893, 207K)

>Natalie Mars
nice taste my ni-

>reddit
arrgh kys faggot

FUCK
Stop making me want to pull my Macs out of storage!

>Fuck off back to mactoddlers.
Learn to share or we'll take your toys away, kiddo.

Learn your place and fuck off back to mactoddler.

>Natalie Mars
>Good
She's cute and all, but she has this entitled bitch complex that completely kills my erections. Also what the fuck is up with the tip of her dick? Did she slam into a wall glands-first or something?
Saging because I'm not contributing btw.

the UI looks really manly for a gay OS

Hypospadias

Born with the peehole in the wrong place, down near the balls, so the doctors had to cut the whole thing open and move the opening up towards the tip

It's beautiful and pretty comfy and logical, but inside it's a mess that should've stayed in 1989. Multitasking is literally a third party hack which apple bought and bundled with system 6.

that's not what I'm saying at all, just that it's kind of retarded to talk up how much of a "beast" your G3 is compared to 1997-era PCs when it's not even a G3 anymore and has been upgraded with mediocre early 2000s parts

pull out the G3 upgrade or compare it to a proper high-end PC from whenever that upgrade was released

Good luck running fagOS for more than two minutes without a bomb crash.

We're talking about a "Beige G3" system here. It has a G4 CPU from a Yikes! G4 (1999), but it doesn't change the fact that it is a PowerMac G3 from 1997.
Again, you're free to upgrade your "high-end" dual slot 1 system from 1997 to dual 1GHz Pentium IIIs (Actually mediocre hardware from the 2000s) and test it against this. I can assure you Mac OS 9 will run like trash on a VM. And probably will crash conatantly, too.

>she has this entitled bitch complex
w-what?

Attached: os7desk.png (800x600, 259K)

Take your fruity toddler toys back to mactoddler manchild.

>And probably will crash conatantly, too.
#JustMacshitThings

Attached: 1511198851939.jpg (1405x1054, 309K)

Any good themes like this for openbox?

@65310036(You)
@65309906(You)
>But macs crash all the time! Here's a picture from the Internet that proves it! Surely that macfag will get buttblasted!

Attached: Bsod.png (560x350, 2K)

>but it doesn't change the fact that it is a PowerMac G3 from 1997.
but that does, because no Power Mac G3 from 1997 was running a 500 MHz G4 that didn't even exist yet
it's like board swapping your PII box and throwing in a Pentium 4 but telling all of your friends still running on PIIs how your P4 totally whooped their asses in 1997
>to dual 1GHz Pentium IIIs (Actually mediocre hardware from the 2000s)
what constructed reality do you exist within such that this is "mediocre hardware" from the early 2000s while a 500 MHz G4 probably with back-side cache supposedly lifted from last year's entry-level stopgap power mac (Yikes! never clocked at 500 MHz though, only Sawtooth and Mystic)

Serious question though. How is it that old software threads in Euro/g/ are generally civilized discussion, yet as soon as the americans wake up they always turn to shit?
Do you people hate Aplle so much that you have to completely destroy threads about twenty year old software?
Hell, I hate modern Macs as much as you do, or even more (because I have actual reasons to, instead of just lol appl is dum), but I just don't see why you would bitch about it like this.
Actually, now that I think about it it might just be those Apple shills that are assigned to Jow Forums just to make non-macfags look like kids. In that case, well done.

Fuck's sake, it sounds like *YOU* never used an old Mac

wait nevermind, just realized it was 400 MHz module, don't know where the fuck I pulled 500 MHz from
surprised you can just throw a Yikes! module in there like that, pretty cool
Jow Forums is overrun with dumb vidya kids who shitpost relentlessly because it's the only way they can get attention here
it's really sad
honestly I've only seen bomb hell on mac clones, otherwise it's decently smooth sailing after you've gotten everything set up and worked out all the kinks with extensions and shit

I'm a Mac user but I'd actually have to say no to this.

Maybe it's a 68k thing

My main machine was a Quadra 630 for several years and I loved it but man a LOT of things crashed shut for no apparent reason, often working just fine if you immediately reopened them

They used Older Mac OS in the local brainwashing/extermination camp (elementary school). They eventually moved to OS 9.2 on their older machines, and I would assume they used 7.5 - 9.2. No one liked it. You'd close a program and it would still be in memory. They seemed stable and worked okay.

>it's like board swapping your PII box and throwing in a Pentium 4
Except it isn't. It's running the original board from 1997. The Pentium 4 is from 2001, this is a G4 from 1999. Which means you could upgrade your PII box with a PII and still be period-correct to my machine.
>what constructed reality do you exist...
A reality where Dual Pentium IIIs weren't high-end because x86 stuff has never been high-end until K8/core2 came along. Neither was a Mac, though.
>Yikes! never clocked at 500 MHz though
And you're right. This is a 400MHz G4 running at 417MHz, the closest I could get to stock with an 83MHz bus. I don't know where you got the 500MHz figure from. Maybe you thought it's so fast it must be a 500?
Thanks for correcting your error, but what do I do with my rage now? I want to LARP as a 90s macfag shitting on wintel boxes, goddamnit.
>surprised you can just throw a Yikes! module in there like that.
Well, I had to move some jumpers around to change the bus speed and multiplier, and install a cache enabler from PowerLogix. Upgrading a PII to a PIII would be a lot easier.
I do have a Dell Precision Workstation 220 with dual PIIIs (and RDRAM, yay I guess), so I guess I could do some actual testing and see if I can get a stable OS 9 system running inside Win 2000 on it.
>You'd close a program and it would still be in memory.
That's probably because you closed all of its windows (by using the button, like in Windows) instead of closing the program (menu bar>File>Quit, or cmd+Q) I never liked that on Mac OS, but got used to it.

>That's probably because you closed all of its windows (by using the button, like in Windows) instead of closing the program (menu bar>File>Quit, or cmd+Q) I never liked that on Mac OS, but got used to it.
Yeah, we eventually did learn that, but being how most kids grew up with Windows, it seemed obtuse, and there would always be window lickers who didn't hit "Apple+Q".

This.

Fuck off back to your containment board .

Reminder also that classic macs had the MacIvory lisp addon board made by symbolics. It also came with a lisp keyboard.

Attached: lisp.jpg (3249x2089, 2.36M)

Reminder also that classic macs shat the bed if you breathed wrong.

Attached: 1506700689160.jpg (1000x1000, 287K)

Weren't Quadras shit? Or am I thinking of Performas?

>a LOT of things crashed shut for no apparent reason
#JustMacintrashThings

>downloads tottalyfreehotnewgameforabsolutelyfree.lol.nojoke.completelyfree.notavirus.exe
>OMG WTF I GET VIRUS
>FUCKING M$!!!111
>goes out and buys a macbook
>max r SO secure and KEWL!!!11 no VIRUX xD

>downloads hottestnewjustinbieberxdrniggagangstashit.jpg.mpg.HOT.music.album.FREE.tar.apk
>OMG WTF MY PHONE GET VIRUS
>FUCKING ANDROD!!!11
>goes out and buys ishit
>PHEW im so glad apel treats me like a toddler and doesnt let me install or do anything, freedum is too dangerous xDD

>sees a linux CLI
>OMG WTF THIS COMPUTER IS BROKEN
>MOOOOOOM user BROKE HIS COMPUTER AND IS TOO EMBARRASSED TO ADMIT IT
>WE NEED TO GO TO BESTBUY AND GET IT FIXED
>Y CANT COMPUTERS JUS WORK
>MUH APEL MUH APEL MUH APEL

Serious question though. Why did technology illiterate apple users ever think they belonged on Jow Forums?

Remember that "Report" exists for a reason.

Remember that appletoddlers will never belong on a technology board.

yeah it isn't 1:1 identical, where I was getting at is that it's just kind of silly to compare a system with a later aftermarket configuration against its contemporaries and then emphasize the performance gains, as far as the PIII goes I was speaking more from a consumer market perspective, and let's be real here, the traditional definition of "high-end" was increasingly meaningless by the late '90s when the likes of SGI and Sun were getting their shit slapped senseless by commodity boxes, Mac and PC included, all they had at that point was their eroding software bases and 64-bit registers
really don't know where the 500 MHz came from either, must have misread it as 517 or had the frequency of some Sonnet G4 upgrade I was recently looking at stuck in my head
>but what do I do with my rage now? I want to LARP as a 90s macfag shitting on wintel boxes, goddamnit.
same, I just had my autism triggered and sometimes interesting discussions come out of it
>I do have a Dell Precision Workstation 220 with dual PIIIs (and RDRAM, yay I guess)
sounds worth messing with, too bad the emulators are probably single-threaded though
if it wasn't a pain to set up I would try throwing a dual PIII Xeon 500 at it, don't really doubt the claim that the Mac->Windows virtualization is going to be better though, but I'd assume that's more on the design of Mac OS (that also allows for the great 68k emulation) than the actual underlying hardware

Mactoddlers will defend this.

why are you so desperate for attention
like don't you know anything about technology where you could find a thread you could actually contribute to rather than just being an obnoxious but still slight inconvenience?

Appletard subhumans should be rounded up and lynched T B H F A M.

>2018
>Not shitposting on IRC with your powerbook 520 while you keep your bedroom toasty with your Powermac G5

>2018
>being a mactoddler

why are you so desperate for attention
like don't you know anything about technology where you could find a website you could actually contribute to rather than just being an obnoxious but still slight inconvenience?

Stop feeding the troll and .

Quadra's were the high-end to start and later the... everything, who fucking knows. There were low-end Quadras like the 605 and 610 and high-end ones like the 950 and 800. The Performa line rebadged a lot of them, and Mac IIs, and LCs, and Power Macs...

it's not like he's going to shut the fuck up anyway, but it was my last post nonetheless

mods probably won't do shit about it, hell it probably is a mod or janitor doing it, who else can be this dedicated?

>mac
They were all fucking shit.

>He doesn't have a giant collection of old electronics from manufacturers living, dead, famous, and obscure
Lmaoing @ ur lyfe

Attached: aint no one gayer than u.jpg (600x600, 97K)

They were the same shit in some cases. Apple went to the extent of selling the same machine under four or five different model names and numbers, and the only difference between them would be software packages or expansion card configurations.
Think late 90s Dell laptops, but 50x worse.
ppc Macs from when Jobs came back up until the last one (I can't remember if it's the 1.42 iBook G4 or some Mac Mini) are absolute marvels of technology. Most of them were easily upgradable and serviceable(not the iBooks, oh God the iBooks. Thank fuck I put an SSD on mine so I don't have to deal with changing hard drives ever again), and except for the G5s, reliable as hell.
Am I the only one that thinks today's Apple is exactly as shit as it was in the mid 90s? I mean, soldered together non-upgradable machines, extremely fragmented product line that makes no sense (So the macbook air is supposed to be the small laptop but then there's a 13in model, which is bigger than the 12" macbook (uniport), which takes the name of the old low end machines, but is actually a mid-range one now, but it has a core-m, which means it's actually less powerful than the air? The Pro used to denote Professional models, and the i used to denote consumer products yet there's an iMac Pro??? And it's fucking faster than the Mac Pro????) It's an absolute clusterfuck.
Oh no, I didn't mean the G3 vs a PII machine in 1997, I meant both machines today, including any possible upgrades. Sorry for not making that clear.
Cont.

>owns macshit
>calls someone else gay
wew lad

>the likes of SGI and Sun were getting their shit slapped senseless by commodity boxes
I run a very heavily upgraded Sun Ultra Enterprise 250 and I digress. This thing can run (please don't hate me, I have a social life I share with normies) a Minecraft server with 5-6 players concurrently without any hiccups. I have actually tried that on the Precision (dual 733MHz PIIIs, 1GiB RDRAM vs dual 400MHz UltraSPARC IIs, 2GiB FPM Ram, 4-way interleaved) and the poor thing just shat itself at the sight of anything Java-based.
>but I'd assume that's more on the design of Mac OS (that also allows for the great 68k emulation) than the actual underlying hardware.
You're probably right on that one.

>Think late 90s Dell laptops, but 50x worse.
Apple in a nutshell.