ODROID-XU4Q

I was going to go the pi route until I did a little research and now I'm leaning towards an ODROID-XU4Q. I will be using it as a web browsing machine. Will my wife be disappointed with her Facebook?
Can it handle the video is my greatest question.
I seek the wisdom of those who have used these SBCs.

Thank you for your time

Attached: ODROID-XU4Q.jpg (1000x750, 120K)

Other urls found in this thread:

raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspberry-pi-browser-test/
reddit.com/r/ODroid/comments/3ghmyf/looking_at_the_xu4_to_be_a_desktop_replacement_im/
up-shop.org/up-boards/94-up-squared-celeron-duo-core-4gb-memory32gb-emmc.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

just get her one of those poverty-tier amazon tablets if all she does is facebook

Interesting. I don't know anything about that model, though.

I tried to use one of my pis as a web browsing machine a couple weeks back. I stopped. It worked but was noticeably under powered.

Did not handle YouTube great.

Was using HypriotOS with Xfce.

She has to have an actual full size keyboard and monitor. I'm interested in checking this board out but can't justify it if it won't do what she needs

Thanks for the feedback. After doing a little comparison, I thought it might be. The Odroid looked meaty enough but I'm not sure ARM will work well with flash,etc

then a raspberry pi will suffice as long as its just facebook
remember that Facebook is used by tons of pajeets and other third world ends with half the specs of a raspberry pi so facebook is designed to run on anything

That's what I needed to hear.

Thank you all for contributing

Actually, indians use basic.facebook.com not the regular version which is overbloated

I feel I'm being joshed

Why are you married? Why is your wife using Facebook? You better smack that cunt's mouth right off.

If you need powerful desktop replace how about something like MACCHIATObin?

i owned the one with a fan until a few days ago (sold to a friend)
first
>install armbian
Can it play video? Not really unfortunately...

>ODROID
overpiced shit

Attached: ESP8266OLED.jpg (1000x1000, 153K)

> I POSTED IT AGAIN XDDD

>Buying an SBC for basic computation

Fuck off you tech illiterate retards. Get her a cheap ass ThinkPad for $60 on eBay instead.

Attached: 145445667400.jpg (500x307, 37K)

kys

you can plug full size keyboard & mouse into a poverty tablet.

the odroid willl be much faster than raspberry pi at browsing..

stop memeing him you dumb piece of shit

the only thing worse than being oblivious is false knowledge

There are videos on youtube of guy browsing with odroid and having hardware accelerated youtube but I don't know how much work is to set all that up.

should be done by the browser. hardware accelerated youtube would just be h264 acceleration which should be done just fine.

raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspberry-pi-browser-test/

There are also videos of people testing it as games emulator. Not sure what you mean with "how much work". Just the usual Linux distro stuff?

also, reddit.com/r/ODroid/comments/3ghmyf/looking_at_the_xu4_to_be_a_desktop_replacement_im/

note the other link is about raspberry pi but it is applicable to all boards since they're all ARM arch

he was thinking it took work to setup hardware accelerated youtube

Why don't you buy a random 100 USD Optiplex?
Or a Thinkpad?

I don't know, always used those boards headless but even getting hardware acc. youtube on older win hardware requires some work, like manually enabling hardware decoding in chrome and installing h264ify.

Same goes for local 264 playback with mpchc or vlc.

Odroid is like 3x faster than Pi.

But OP should really do this.

I've used the UP2 4GB model as a desktop computer. Works pretty fast for a SBC, and can run windows 10 if you need it to.
up-shop.org/up-boards/94-up-squared-celeron-duo-core-4gb-memory32gb-emmc.html

Odroid support is shit, I would get her a 300 USD laptop and install linux on it.

t. Odroid U3 owner

every SBC support is fucking shit

raspberry pi is "ok" and ardunio is "good"

rest are literally garbage

My point, exactly.

The Asus tinker board S will be released in a few weeks.

>Onboard 16GB eMMC
>wireless 802.11 b/g/n & BT 4.0 + EDR
>HDMI up to 4K/30fps
>40-pin GPIO header w/ enhanced I2S

Attached: later.png (1024x705, 44K)

Bruh, are you short on cash or something? You’ll regret this and your wife is going to hate on how slow it’ll be. Drop $150 on some used dell optiplex on eBay with an i5 and you’ll be golden. She’ll still be using that shit in 10 years. Source, my wife is still using the sff optiplex with a c2d I picked up from work like 10 years ago.

>I just want to download shit online and have it work

If you need "support" for an SBC, you're using it completely wrong and just stick to ricing i3. I bet you retards don't even know the most basic assembly registers for every common or rather any architecture.

doesnt this shit only runs on android cause there are no drivers for linux?

if you need a browsing machine just get an intel compute stick

i3 is garbage kiddo

>facebook
badum tish

yeah, and you have to use propiretary blobs to make wifi and bluetooth work, the bootloader will be closed source and the cpu wont load any bootloader without signing

rpi's are among the slowest of the sbc's you can get these days
their only plus is support/popularity

>asus

support will be dropped before the boards even hit the stores

it is already not supported
there is zero towards the open source community. There is a system image with the precompiled drivers which will get soon obselete in 2-3 kernel version jumps. So say goodbye to wifi, bluetooth, 3d acceleration if you want to be up to date. You wont be able to make android or bsd to run on this board without reverse enginiering the driver blobs or making one from scratch and hacks.

Youtube does not serve h264 by default.

It's expensive as fuck tho.

besides that ram it's way weaker than odroid or banana or orange

you can get thinkpads for 150€ 200€ and it will be far more worthy investing into than into a Raspberry pi that you will throw away in a year