Do you guys use a GUI on your servers? If yes, why? If you use CLI. Why do you use it?

Do you guys use a GUI on your servers? If yes, why? If you use CLI. Why do you use it?

Attached: 1522277653500.png (1301x539, 167K)

Fuck off nigger. Stop asking questions.

I use cli only, because I don't need a gui and I don't want to waste resources for something I'll never need

Only CLI.
No point in running a GUI. It just increases attack surface.
The Linux GUI doesn't have a lot of server utilities like Windows server does with Server Manager, and the Linux command line is 10 times less annoying to work with than Powershell, so it works out.

I tried to get X11 forwarding to work, but I couldn't. It was a Ubuntu server and a Windows client. A bit niche, and poorly documented. I use CLI because it's a server, and all server software is CLI. The X11 forwarding thing was purely an educational endeavour.

It's a server, I SSH into it. Why is using a GUI even a question on your mind?

> Do you guys use a GUI on your servers?
No.
> If you use CLI. Why do you use it?
Computers don't have remote mind control yet. This is the next best thing & how you generally get things done. Very few exceptions, really.

the only gui i use on any of my servers is virt-manager because virsh can't set up VMs quite the same way.

Attached: 2018-03-29-190025_702x398.png (702x398, 22K)

If you need a GUI soon your server something is wrong. It could be your hardware (fucking raid webbios), or your software, or you...

Is it you? Are you the reason?

Just an image I searched before creating the thread.

CLI. If you need a GUI, you should just use a web interface.

can't you use virt-manager from any desktop to command a headless server? i never tried it but it sounds cool

Yes, so I can use Teamviewer.
If all you use is a CLI you're not really using your server.

>If all you use is a CLI you're not really using your server.
wat

Same reason I use a GUI on my work computer. So I can see and manipulate more information quicker and better. You can just spin the GUI down when you don't need it.

yes, using ssh X forwarding (ssh -Y), then running virt-manager on the server will open it up on your local X server.

This
Fpbp

Depends on what you're doing. I run a freepbx server that has a web interface to manage the accounts and settings. The web interface isn't absolutely necessary, you can manually make changes to the database. The GUI makes it a lot easier. I use the cli to update/maintain. #BanEvasion

What's it like living in the past, command line fags

It's highly comfy, UwU

No we dont even allow people (admins included) to login to our servers, except under extraordinary circumstances

That comment makes no sense. This isn't a windows thread.

How do you update/maintain? Internal or web-facing?

Thats all done through saltstack

i'm pretty sure you can connect to a remote libvirt server without having to do x forwarding, which may be a little faster. my virt-manager seems to support this and other hypervisors. never tried this but it sounds cool.

Attached: wew lad.png (404x311, 25K)

I hadn't considered that - Good catch.

>If you use CLI. Why do you use it?
Because they have no monitors.

You guys should train your own people. Hiring a third party isn't fool-proof. How big is your organization? ~100?

>vnc

What are you talking about? We haven't hired any third party, and our org is ~20k

Ah, I briefly read over the description of saltstack. That makes alot more sense.

Somewhat related.
Today i was upgrading my pfsense box to the newest version, it rebooted and didn't came back, i hooked up a monitor to it and it couldn't mount the file system, i reinstalled, restored the config and might try again tomorrow.

Attached: 1509219299423.gif (500x280, 997K)

Hexdump the device

The absolite state of BSD OS

Got a lot of random shit running on my servers (very much a product of history than of design), so yeah I kind of need a GUI to find shit when things go wrong.

Ideally the server would just pipe data streams into client-side GUIs, but I'm too busy fixing spaghetti code to waste work hours making something like that happen.

lumfao

Attached: 1451136142943.jpg (480x480, 18K)

>having a GUI on your servers
>making manual changes on your servers
>logging into your servers at all
>having mutable servers
>even using servers at all
>2018 shiiggy diggy

How did you get to that point? I work IT side for anignsoftware company. We’ve made it there for our customer facing stuff mostly, but within IT it’s a shit show. We have about 2000 servers and I spent over a year just deploying basic Puppet shit to control the brownfield environment. I say it’s basic because it would have been if we had all new servers, but these are years and years worth of cruft. Deploying Puppet modules to manage logging on rhel 5,6 and 7 Systems. Each Puppet module would take me a month of testing to find all the edge cases and not break something.

Anyway now I can’t get anyone to embrace Puppet and use it for their new servers beyond just a few teams. Everyone doesnt want to do shit manually, but because they don’t want to or can’t spend the time to learn it’s gone no where.

Ya caught me, I lied. Greenfield is like I described. But we also have old stuff that is verbatim what you said. And believe me, I feel your pain with regards to trying to bring legacy shit under the dominion of config management. Its a non-technical challenge at this point. You need to master organisational change and office politics to get weight thrown behind any policy decisions you make, and who the fuck wants to excel at that kind of thing?

Hah exactly i got hired to execute on technical issues not become a diplomat In a massive bureaucracy of competing controlling entities. Security, change management, SOX, and everyone else that wants to either prevent me from doing my job or tell me how to do it their way.

We’re about to move into AWS and you’d think this is the time to greenfield put the hammer down and embrace immutable nirvana, but they’re talking about running VMware on aws so it’s busienss as usual just not in our own datacenters.

I one interact with my server through remote SSH sessions, it also significantly minimizes the attack surface AND slims down the disk usage.