What's the best GNU/Linux desktop environment Jow Forums?

What's the best GNU/Linux desktop environment Jow Forums?

Attached: 22ae4944721f91be26e812b4b0b04ffe.png (636x358, 114K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mt2nxyEIf74
github.com/lcpz/awesome-copycats
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Attached: unity_logo_icon.jpg (250x200, 6K)

dunno about best, but I've been using xfce, does the job just fine.

Cinnamon, lxqt, Xfce and Openbox are all my favorites. If I had to pick just one...probably Openbox.

ded

Obviously KDE!

Attached: Screenshot_20180329_201937.png (1920x1080, 3.17M)

Only Cinnamon is a DE from that list.

>xfce
>not a DE
retard

WSL

LXDE

GNOME because its the only one thar supports Wayland

Why are there no good linux distros

KDE is sexy.
Xfce and ldxe are both light and great for those who liked gnome 2 - actually they seem pretty identical to me and I don't know why both need to exist instead of just one.
Gnome 3 is shit.
I personally find i3 counterintuitive but I see the appeal.

the god of DEs is budgie, other ones can't even begin to compete

LXQt

>No GTK rubbish
Check
>Calculator
Check
>Easy for normies
Check
>Lightweight
100-150 mb in idle (including Linux kernel and other stuff)

i3wm you dumbasses

Honestly they all suck.
gnome = slow, unintuitive, limiting by design, churning out halfbaked "new and better apps", attempting to deprecate existing functionality with their own bullshit, etc etc. attempts to create the one "correct" solution and that's what you get whether it's right or not.
kde = buggy (yes it's still buggy), weird, various incompatibilities with gtk that simply can not be resolved, crowded, piles of options but none of them quite do what you wanted. Attempts to offer many solutions but none of them are right.
xfce = old, underpowered, unable to keep up with the evolving linux desktop ecosystem. releases once every 5? years. had a good run, time to let it go.

lxde = deprecated in favor of lxqt

lxqt = show me one person who actually uses lxqt

unity = began as a cobbled together gnome/compiz-session, vocally hated on for years, eventually got pretty good just in time for ubuntu to drop it (huh huh you can still use it tho, don't worry if it's dead((see xfce)))
mate = ugly green everywhere, may or may not work with laptop volume and brightness, nothing get excited about (see xfce)

cinnamon = offshoot of gnome 3, will eventually get trapped unable to keep up with tracking a moving target that couldn't care less about it

budgie = I don't know what Budgie is or does, sorry

elementary = see budgie

pantheon, lumina, etc, etc..

Unfortunately windows and macos both also blow, for other and for some of the same reasons.

Whatever makes you the most productive. And ricing said desktop does not equate to productivity. Making money in a job does.

>kde = buggy (yes it's still buggy), weird, various incompatibilities with gtk that simply can not be resolved, crowded, piles of options but none of them quite do what you wanted. Attempts to offer many solutions but none of them are right.

Pic related. It's KDE. All the options. Still fucking useless except for opening a can of beans in an emergency.

Attached: giant-swiss-army-knife-0.jpg (900x817, 81K)

In which case it's alright because beans are great, especially with hot sauce

I interpreted OP's question to mean "general GUI," as limiting yourself to DEs is pointless. Also this;

OP here, I'm just using KDE, as it came with Debian when I installed it. Was wondering if there was a legit better option.

The one I use, of course.

Attached: shiggy-diggy.gif (400x400, 63K)

Xfce4

Tmux in tty

nice bait

What about MATE? Is funny that no one ever mentions it. Ubuntu MATE even has a panel layout destined for ex Unity users.
elementary is a distro, pantheon is its DE. It's basically what GNOME devs are trying to do (a pretty and easy to use DE with little customization).

Attached: Ubuntu MATE elementary OS.png (1200x1350, 698K)

I used it a ton a up until a few years ago when I switched to LXDE and Xfce. Don't get me wrong, I like MATE a lot, but I've found myself using it a lot less. Still have it installed though.

That pic looks 2010 af

openbox with nothing else but openbox.

Plasma, duh.

Attached: Screenshot_20180329_192227.png (1920x1080, 1.79M)

Bash I guess.

xfce

Cinnamon. It has a sane desktop structure (unlike GNOME), clean consistent UI (unlike KDE, MATE, Budgie), and has plenty of developers (unlike XFCE, LXQT). Pantheon is a close second but has a UI consistency problem with third party applications.

kde 4

Does Mate require systemD

Ubuntu = baby's first Linux.
MATE is just shit.

Sway

Attached: uncalculatedw_.png (411x336, 84K)

Mate is xfce but better. Been that way for years now. Its the objective truth

It's obviously CDE, the comfiest eyesore on the planet. This is your daily reminder that CDE is open source now and you can easily compile and run it yourself on nearly an UNIX-like OS, including NetBSD and others.

Debian users can just add the Sparky Linux testing repo and get access to a pre-compiled package that'll set it all up automatically. It even comes with dtlogin, a login manager. Easiest way to set up dtlogin on Debian based Linux is to add "/usr/dt/bin/dtlogin" on a new line in /etc/rc.local and then uninstall the old login manager.

Attached: 2018-03-29-224653_1400x1050_scrot.png (1400x1050, 208K)

GNOME unironically has the greatest DE window management of all time

>top and bottom bar
You get put to the front of the euthanization line

I use MATE, but with i3wm in the place of Marco. It works quite well.

youtube.com/watch?v=mt2nxyEIf74 (not my vid).

>what is window dodge

Attached: 1517039830417.gif (1166x875, 212K)

I don't like tilt managers desu

Xfce and Cinnamon are great

GNOME is weird tho, but not that bad tbqh

KDE WILL be good, at the moment is literally BLOAT

Attached: isac's fourth pc.png (1152x864, 740K)

DE are for cucks. Just use Arch + i3.

Arch are for cucks. Just use LFS

>KDE WILL be good, at the moment is literally BLOAT
It's been that way since kde 4, and also the buggiest one by far, followed by cinnamon

XFCE works fine and does it's job just fine. It's a desktop. It doesn't need to change just for the sake of changing.

gnome

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-03-29 21-50-12.png (1366x768, 814K)

The one (You) like the most.

Attached: tumblr_mo6jla4wPo1qe89guo1_1280.gif (600x626, 433K)

>tumblr

Go back there.

Lumina

Attached: Wispy.png (512x512, 57K)

My nigga

KDE, because MUH file picker.

Wait elementary made it's own gnome3 ripoff wtf

Is GNOME stable enough?
I want to know if I can recommend it to my friends as a normie-friendly windows-like DE.

I actually prefer Pantheon over GNOME. It's UI is more consistent and the app menu takes a small space in the corner instead of the full window like in GNOME and macOS. The downside is that Pantheon has little to no customization, and that could be a turn off for users who like to customize every bit of their OS.
Try Linux Mint. It's designed to be easy to use for new Linux users. It includes codecs and a lot of software pre-installed so people doesn't have to bother installing it.
elementaryOS is another good alternative. It looks really good by default and its easier for new users to get used to. elementary OS doesn't as much programs installed as Linux Mint, but you can install them from the app center.
Both elementary OS and Linux Mint are based on Ubuntu LTS.
tl; dr: Try both OS and see which one your friend prefers the most.

Attached: file.png (1200x675, 1.57M)

In the past, I used Gnome2 + compiz, after Gnome3 hit moved to MATE + compiz, when that went downhill I finally checked out KDE and realized it has most of the features I liked about compiz so that's where I landed.

GNOME

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-03-30 02-59-55.png (1600x900, 1.14M)

Isn't Mint an outright shit distro with bad packaging practices?
And I don't want another distro, I just want a 'just works' DE with sane and good looking defaults suitable for Windows converts.

>Isn't Mint an outright shit distro with bad packaging practices?
I don't know if LM devs fixed that problem with the packages names, but that shouldn't be a problem for your normalfag friend.
>I just want a 'just works' DE with sane and good looking defaults suitable for Windows converts
Then pick Debian, Arch or another big distro and install Cinnamon. I recommended LM because it has preinstalled programs that are enough for 95% of the people (a browser, an office suite and media codecs).

Attached: file.png (1920x1200, 1.7M)

Kliksphilip shouldn't you be making videos?

I love faggots that give advice while posting an image from Google. Either screenshot it or admit you're talking out of your ass.

they all suck in different ways

Ubuntu is a fine distro you contrarian faggot.

Xfce, of course.

But does it matter? Everyone is trying to do similar looks on their different DEs. At that point they're literally the same thing.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-03-30_00-27-40.png (1366x768, 1.04M)

I installed LM in my parents' old HP laptop after a Win8.1 update fucked the whole OS and made everything unusable because even opening minesweeper caused the CPU to overheat and the fans to run at max speed. After installing LM the overheating problem disappeared.
They only needed a machine with a browser and an office suite, so I replaced LibreOffice with MS Office through WINE so they wouldn't have problems opening .docx and similar documents.
Can't post a screenshot because right now I don't have access to their laptop.

I prefer KDE, but LXDE will do in a pinch.

Windows 10 with subsystem for linux

bspwm

Attached: 1521386205795.jpg (750x737, 101K)

which of bspwm/xmonad/dwm is the best?

both

Xfce for stability.
KDE for features.
Budgie as the 3rd best.

>ctrl+f "emacs"
>0 results
ISHYGDDT
emacs is clearly the best window manager out there

Attached: new-window-manager-3.png (2880x1800, 559K)

which does not want to be an android launcher

i3wm is all I need in life. Fuck desktop environments

fpbp
/thread

i dont undestand this meme
i installed numerous DE on arch and gentoo and none had calculator

awesome wm

the only con is the condif in in fucking lua but it's pretty readable ane you are able to customize it or even create own widgets without even the smallest knowledge of lua

just search some configs like github.com/lcpz/awesome-copycats

I like XFCE.

I also liked KDE Plasma, I believe it was called

Attached: Screenshot_2018-03-30_15-57-23.png (2560x1440, 906K)

"condif" -> conf

Gnome 3. Anything that is still relying on the desktop metaphor is garbage.

Right now I think it's crap but when 2.0 comes out it may actually be good

I will go with Unity. It's not lightweight, but it's super handy and productive and not ugly as fuck

Xfce with Compton

fpbp
RIP in peace Unity, you were too good for this world.

y not i3?

they're all shit honestly, so not like it matters

nice family photo

what's that theme? I fucking hate xfce's window list on the panel because it doesn't have visible separation unlike the one on your pic

My god I want to tear that dragon's ass apart

The one with a functional file picker

KDE - customizable but buggy

gnome - counter-intuitive but comfy when you figure it out and customise it

XFCE - kde but smol

Pantheon - shittier version of deepin

Deepin - buggy but nice looking, not customisable very much

i3 - difficult to learn, easy to use, customisable

gnome 3. everyone hates it but i got no problems with it.

Found the noobs.
Once you become power users you will quickly see how much is lacking from gnome 3

You guys are alright.

Attached: 1501041252176.jpg (1000x800, 301K)